Chart Series Line Editing before building

I have a client chart that graphs data over multiple years.  Each year data is in it's own worksheet and I have pre-defined these data ranges to automatically build the line graph charts as the client enters the data.  These charts are then built on a seperate worksheet by month for the client.

My problem.  How do I change the line in the graph, both color and format, before the chart series even builds.  For instance, for say January 2005, which has not had data entered yet, the default line that will build is thin and a light blue, hard to see on screen.  I want a heavy, dark green, smoothed line to build..which I can change on a chart once I have at least one data point to edit...but how do I pre-set this so it builds the one I want.

This seems simple but I have asked many people and nobody has had an answer for me.  This is my last hope.  Thanks for any help.  My personal email is jkearnan@comcast.net if you would rather reply there.   Thanks.
0
jkearnan (1)

You can make a user defined chart, with as many series formatted as you
think you'll need. When the chart is the way you want it, select Chart
Type from the Chart menu, click on the Custom Types tab, click the
User-Defined option, then click Add, enter a name and description, press
OK once, then click the Set as Default Chart button. Next time anyone
makes a chart, this is the type it will be. As more series are added,
they take on the next sets of formatting in this custom chart type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

jkearnan@comcast.net wrote:

> I have a client chart that graphs data over multiple years.  Each
> year data is in it's own worksheet and I have pre-defined these data
> ranges to automatically build the line graph charts as the client
> enters the data.  These charts are then built on a seperate worksheet
> by month for the client.
>
> My problem.  How do I change the line in the graph, both color and
> format, before the chart series even builds.  For instance, for say
> January 2005, which has not had data entered yet, the default line
> that will build is thin and a light blue, hard to see on screen.  I
> want a heavy, dark green, smoothed line to build..which I can change
> on a chart once I have at least one data point to edit...but how do I
> pre-set this so it builds the one I want.
>
> This seems simple but I have asked many people and nobody has had an
> answer for me.  This is my last hope.  Thanks for any help.  My
> personal email is jkearnan@comcast.net if you would rather reply
> there.   Thanks.

edit Direct Deposit ACH file
would like to see a tool that allows editing of direct deposit ACH file similar to the PM EFT User Defined tool. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4ef4f25-a5...

Excel 2007 Chart in VB6 Program
I have another thread in the VB group and was told to post to these two groups so sorryfor the multi-post. Ill post there again just in case folks want to follow the thread. So I've had a Visual Basic 6 app (as an EXE) that has worked great for the last 9 years or so. Up until Excel 2003 I have had to make minimial changes for it to work properly. The app has an OLE control which acts as a container for many different external sources .In this control I embed an Excel workbook and display a chart sheet. I can interact with the workbook through the normal means of Excel programming objects...

sales line detail window-after updating the request Ship Date-also
I am also using manufacturing, when you change the requested ship date, you get a window asking: You can update the In House due date, What is the name of this window in modifer? I would like to modify this form, so the No button is disables, I want to make sure they always click 'yes' How do I find this form in modifer? the form name is just 'Microsoft GP Dynamics' thanks -- Doug ...

how do I recover charts within an excel workbook?
The workbook had many charts that were previously visible. Now, upon opening the file, the charts are no longer visible. How to I reactivate them to appear? thanks ...

Problem with Asset Allocator pie charts
Everything "seems" to be working fine with Money 2005 Premium (after restarting the program multiple times). I'm having a problem with many of the pie charts. They do not show up at all. I upgraded from Money 2004. Any ideas? I'm running Windows XP Professional if that's of any help. Thanks, Patrick I've seen them going on a new file on Win XP Pro - do you get them on a new file, or do they not appear on both a new and old one? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;...

Which Controls to Build a Parent/Child Web Form
Hi there, I'm quite new to asp.net, but know exactly how to do this using classic ASP, but would like some pointers for aspnet2. I've got data being returned from an SP which looks like this: HeaderItem ChildItem A A1 A A2 A A3 B B1 etc I want to display the data like this A - This is the header record A1 A2 A3 B - Header 2 B1 etc. In classic ASP I'd write out my header row html when HeaderItem changes value and then write the Child Rows. As I've on...

how to chart who was working when
Hi there, I'm looking for some help in producing a chart. My organization has hired about 100 folks since 1991, each on contracts of varying lengths of time. Some peoples' contracts have ended, and some have been renewed. I set up some worksheets inputting their names, start and end dates with the intent of producing a graph that will tell me exactly how many people were working for us at one time, based upon 6 month intervals. For example: John Doe 7/29/91 - 3/31/05 Jane Doe 6/21/94 - 2/20/96 Jake Doe 8/2/01 - 4/18/03 I would like a chart that can tell me how many people w...

Draw line in a chart
I have the following problem. I have a chart (date on x axis) on which I draw a line. How can I obtain the ending points of the line in order to compare, mathematically, their positions to corresponding values of chart at the same date? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements I'm sure your post makes perfect sense to you and might to other readers, but I am los...

Pivot Chart: Stop skipping Dates on X-Axis
I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for each day. Except somedays which may have only the one piece of data from Table 2 or none at all. How do I get the table to automatically fill in all the days whether they have information or not? =?Utf-8?B?UHJpbmNl?= <Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A5EF53AB-6063-434F-BFC3-43259301751D@microsoft.com: > I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one > table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for &...

OPOS Line Display Service Object
Hi, I am a newbie in OPOS. I am developing a service object for OPOS line display. When trying to use it through the MonroeCS CO control (OPOSLineDisplay.ocx, version OposCCOs-1_11_001), Open gives code 104 (=OPOS_E_NOSERVICE), and get_OpenResult() gives code 305 (=OPOS_OR_BADIF). What these return codes really means ? In Control Programmer's Guide (OLE for Retail POS, Release 1.6) this is said in page 18, item 5: CLIP --> .... (This ensures that the Service Object supports at least the minimum methods of a valid Service Object for the device class, before calling any of its methods...

Help to build a table
Please help me to build a table similar to this one The number on the first column will change after 16 times, it will go in sequence from 1001, 1002, etc… The number in the second column will change after 4 times and it will go from 1 to 4 The number in the 3rd column will go from 1 to 4 2nd and 3rd column will keep the same pattern. Cabinet Shelf Location 1001 1 1 1001 1 2 1001 1 3 1001 1 4 1001 2 1 1001 2 2 1001 2 3 1001 2 4 1001 3 1 1001 3 2 1001 3 3 1001 3 4 1001 4 1 1001 4 2 1001 4 3 1001 4 4 1002 1 1 1002 1 2 1002 1 3 1002 1 4 1002 2 1 1002 2 2 1002 2...

email charts
I have an excel workbook file containing many department sales charts that recieve data from a group of central data entry spreadsheets. Each department chart resides on its own sheet. Is there a way to email individual chart sheets (or snapshots of the chart sheet) to the respective departments without sending the entire parent file to all recipients? Thanks, Mnaut You could export the chart as a gif file, then email that file to the department. The following code creates a gif file from the active chart: '============================ Sub ExportChartGIF() ActiveChart.Export Filenam...

see chart from pushing button
how would I see a chart from pushing a button on the spreedsheet ? ...

Pivot charts formatting
Hi, I want to change the formatting imposed by default in a pivot chart and I want that changed formatting to be retained permanently. For example, for my bar chart, for the different series I have selected colours / patterns but every time I refresh the pivot table / chart; excel falls back to its own colour coding. Any way to get around this? Many thanks in anticipation. Not directly. The only way to simulate this is to record a macro of the formatting changes that you make and then set it up to run whenever the PivotChart calculates. Assuming your pivot chart is on a seperate shee...

Switching x-axis & y-axis on line chart
I am working with a large data spreadsheet with year, number and currency data. My problem is when I extract data to create a standard line chart, the chart is defaulting to a specific x-axis and y-axis format with data related to each axis. For visualization purposes, I would prefer to have the data that is currently presented on the x-axis to instead be presented on the y-axis. And likewise, I would like the y-axis data be presented in the x-axis. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this and the MS Excel Help menu does not seem to address this. Can anyone help? If ...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Excel 2003: How to make transparent columns in Excel chart?
If you create a bar plot froma given dataset you can format the columns by right clicking and choosing the desired options. In the tab that opens there is a slider which is supposed tho set the level of transparency of the column (selceted area). But so far i couldn't find a way how to use this slider. I know that there is an alternative way to get transparent bars by creating a rectangular object formating it and the use copy -> paste. But i wonder what is the slider for if you can't use it? Does anybody know have an idea? Cheers, Thomas ...

building a range for SetSourceData
I am trying to build a range object to feed a chart input. I want to move from old to new: ' OLD myChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Main Sheet").Range( _ "DF71:IS71,DF73:IS73"), PlotBy:=xlRows ' NEW myChart.SetSourceData Source:=ws , PlotBy:=xlRows Here is the way I built the robj. I use the other range objects to collect row and column info. What am I doing wrong? Dim ws As Range Set ws = myWs.Range( _ myWs.Range(myWs.Cells(Date_Week.row, FirstDataCol.Column), myWs.Cells(Date_Week.row, LastDataC...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words
I am looking for a template on which I could establish a personal dictionary for the Slovak language. The Slovak language is very complicated. All words have several grammatical forms. Many words have mulitiple uses. Best way to decipher the differences is to have ready the definitions and to see the use of the word in actual slovak sentences. So, a two field data base is grossly insufficient. I would like something more comples but not sure how to be innovative using excel creating such a template. Hello! I use Excel 2003. My understanding is that you are creating this dictionar...

Install program build on Access 2003 on Window 7?
I have an application designed by a professional progammer that was built on Access 2003 with VBA. I am going to give it to students to run on their laptops. Some of them may have Vista or Window 7 operating systems. Will the application install and run? It installs with a 2003 RT version. I have found that the RT has to be removed when install on a machine with Office 2007. -- Ed Comp Analyst Whether or not it'll work on Vista or Win7 depends on whether the application was packaged correctly. Both Vista and Win7 are stricter about where the application (i.e. the MDB o...

Exchange 2003 server outgoing mail queue clogging DSL Line
Hello everyone - I've searched high and low, and can't seem to find a good solution to this problem: I'm a network administrator and support several small business, many of which are about 20 users. We usually have only one SBS Server. The problem that I have is that once in a while I'll get a user on the network who abuses the system and mass mails people (about 20 at a time for example) an e-mail with a large attachment (Like 10 MB for example). Typically my clients are on a business class DSL line which is 256 Mbps up / 4 Mbps down. When I catch these servers with many m...

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

personal income and expenditure chart
can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please Thanks Mike mikeyboy87 wrote: > can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please > Thanks Mike You can do this in Excel but why re-invent the wheel? Quicken or Money have far more tools and options. If money is an issue try checking ebay. I purchased Quicken 2004 for about $10 including shipping. It isn't the latest and greatest but it does what I need it to do. gls858 ...

Large file edit
How can I retrieve and edit a large text (735 mb) file using Publisher 2003? My computer have 1024mb (SDRAM) memory. Each time I try to load the file via the "from exiting publication" I get the message "Windows is low on memory. save your work and close other programs before you continue working" (all programs are closed)! How much memory does Publisher 2003 require, or what is it's maximum file size capability? Turn off "script blocking" in Norton. Does this error occur in safe mode? Could be a printer driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office....