Chart lines shift when printing

Hi All,

When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.

I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
issue like Microsoft claim?

Cheers,

David

0
moehle (5)

By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing toolbar.
To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part of
the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.

If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked to
a given position in the chart:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
> the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
> doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
> is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
>
> I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
> because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
> annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
> issue like Microsoft claim?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/19/2006 9:13:15 PM
That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.

Anyone ever seen this before??

David

Jon Peltier wrote:

> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing toolbar.
> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part of
> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
>
> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked to
> a given position in the chart:
>
>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
> > the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
> > doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
> > is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
> >
> > I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
> > because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
> > annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
> > issue like Microsoft claim?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > David

0
moehle (5)
9/20/2006 12:52:44 PM
Are you using smoothed lines?

I really have no idea....

- Jon
-------

> That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
> that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
> familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
> lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
> dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.
>
> Anyone ever seen this before??
>
> David
>

> Jon Peltier wrote:
>
>> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing
>> toolbar.
>> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
>> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part
>> of
>> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
>>
>> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
>> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked
>> a given position in the chart:
>>
>>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
>> > the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
>> > doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
>> > is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
>> >
>> > I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
>> > because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
>> > annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
>> > issue like Microsoft claim?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > David

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/20/2006 4:45:37 PM
Nope, standard xy scatter graph lines. Have also tried to replot the
graph from scratch, same problem. I have found one other instance of
this by trawling through google groups, the person posted it in 2003
and had the same problems as me exactly. No solution was ever posted.

This is a mystery that is annoying me. Will try running it at home on
SP3 and let you know if that fixes it, for anyone else who has
encountered this. Maybe my version of Excel is unique, haha.

David

Jon Peltier wrote:

> Are you using smoothed lines?
>
> I really have no idea....
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
> > that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
> > familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
> > lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
> > dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.
> >
> > Anyone ever seen this before??
> >
> > David
> >

> > Jon Peltier wrote:
> >
> >> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing
> >> toolbar.
> >> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
> >> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part
> >> of
> >> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
> >>
> >> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
> >> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked
> >> a given position in the chart:
> >>
> >>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
moehle (5)

Line break in custom date format?
I want to display the date like this: Ddddd, MM/DD/YY For example 'Monday, 12/08/2009'. However, I want a line break after the comma so that the spelled-out day and date are on different lines in the same cell. It's harder than it sounds. In the cell, the value is '12/08/2009'. But the format makes it display as Monday, 12/08/2009. I can't just put an alt+enter in the middle of the date value, as that value would no longer make sense. Is there a code I can put in a custom format that will allow me to insert a line break? Thanks, Much. You...

Excel Chart Scaling
I need to print a chart such that the scale is the same on the x-axis and y-axis. I need to print this chart such that the scale size is the same (prints 1:1) (the number of pixels between each tick is the same on both axes). Other than manually changing the dimensions of the graph until the gridlines form a square is there another way? Hopefully there a piece of VB code that can automatically set this. Try this: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http:/...

excel organizational chart subordinate goes left not down
Trying to create an excel organizational chart but the subordinate selection goes to the left as though it were an assistant choice and not underneath as the diagram suggests. How do I get the subordinate underneath and not to the left or right? ...

How to change maximum scale of a logarithmic chart on an EXCELL ch
I have made an EXCELL chart with logarithmic Y-scale and want to change the maximum scale of it to 30. it just accept 10, 100, and so on. it is very important for me to do that. would you please help me? Hi, This might help you out. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/flexible_log_scale/index.html Cheers Andy Mohammad Shahsavarifard wrote: > I have made an EXCELL chart with logarithmic Y-scale and want to change the > maximum scale of it to 30. it just accept 10, 100, and so on. it is very > important for me to do that. would you please help me? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft...

How do I delete that auto line that happened when typing " = " sig
How do I delete that auto line that happened when typing multple " === " signs? I figured out how to turn off the auto line feature that created a line when typing a series of ====== equal signs like this, but I have some that it created before and I have no idea how to delete them. Help would be greatly appreciated! The line is a bottom border on the paragraph above where it appears, so use the Borders button or the Borders & Shading dialog to remove it. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft W...

how to print in dialog based project
i have datas listed below,i want to print them in table stytle but not use report control,how can i do it.thanks F222011_T F224041_T F224042_T F226021_T L226001_T P222012_T P222013_T 2006-9-18 20:23:30 23 23 23 23 23 23 23 2006-9-18 20:23:31 24 24 24 24 24 24 24 2006-9-18 20:23:32 25 25 25 25 25 25 25 2006-9-18 20:23:33 26 26 26 26 26 26 26 2006-9-18 20:23:34 27 27 27 27 27 27 27 2006-9-18 20:23:35 28 28 28 28 28 28 28 2006-9-18 20:23:36 29 29 29 29 29 29 29 2006-9-18 20:23:37 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 2006-9-18 20:23:38 31 31 31 31 31 31 31 2006-9-18 20:23:39 32 32 32 32 32 32 32 200...

no image printed in excel 2010
I can see the images in the preview window, but they are not printed on the actual paper. Used to be OK in 2007. Is it a bug??? ...

Excel 2007 Chart Names revert to defaults
I am using Excel 2007 and have a document with many charts and a few worksheets. The document is macro enabled although there are no macros running. Periodically, when I open the document to work on it, I see that the chart names on the tabs at the bottom of the chart have changed from what I have named them back to "Chart 1", "Chart 2", "Chart 3", etc. The worksheets however, retain there names. The document is linked to a few other excel documents. Any clue on how I can stop this automatic renaming from happening? Hi, Although I have never had ...

Cannot print from Outlook : Error Interface not registered
I cannot print a received Outlook email. I get the message "A run time error has occurred Line 277 Error: Interface not registered" Can someone prease help me? Dorothy from Training , you wrote on Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:56:00 -0700: > "A run time error has occurred Line 277 Error: Interface not > registered" Try following: Start | Run I the open field type "regsvr32.exe ole32.dll" (without quotations marks) and press the OK button. -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net Many thanks - I have now tried this and unfortunately it ...

publisher print is aligned half the time, misaligned the other
When printing from publisher, sometimes it lines up perfectly and other times it does not. I have gone in and reset all the settings. I make sure the stock is properly loaded in the printer. Does not matter. Sometimes it is right, sometimes not. I sure waste lots of business card stock. Publisher isn't at fault, your printer is. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Taterchip" <Taterchip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5860B75F-8532-401D-9645-8D17EF6C906C@microsoft.com... ...

Paper size & print preview size
Hi, I have a report that I want to print on 8 1/2 inch tall by 5 1/2 inch wide paper. How do I select a paper size to meet my needs? I know I can do it my changing margins, but I hope there is better way of specifying a paper size. Also, is it possible to print preview a report and have it display at 50% size? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil Phillip <Phillip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a report that I want to print on 8 1/2 inch tall by 5 1/2 inch wide >paper. How do I select a paper size to meet my needs? I know I can do it my ...

Printing a diary with the date instead of page number. #3
I'm trying to print something like a diary in such a way that when I open it like a book, it shows the same date on both the left- and the right side page. On each page I want an empty table (the same one on each page). Now, I want to print this automatically. So on the first sheet side B shows January 1, on the second sheet side A shows January 1 and side B shows January 2, on the third sheet side A shows January 2 and side B shows January 3 etc. etc. untill December 31 What's the best way to do this using Excel or Word? I'm not quite en expert so please keep it simple ;o) Thank&...

creating report to print 4-up index cards on Avery 3381
I want to print records from a table onto 5.5" x 4.25" cards. I have Avery product 3381 which is an 8.5" x 11" sheet prescored once down the middle & once across the middle to give the 4.25" x 5.5" card, 4 per page, with no waste, border, margins. I have about 7 hours into this phase of my project & the best I can do is to print onto 2 cards, 2 across, with the page in landscape orientation. I cannot configure my design to print the 2nd row. No part of report3 3 & 4 will print on page 1. I have spent most of my time doing endless combinat...

Print Preview
In Outlook 2000, when I use Print Preview on some, but not all, received e-mail messages, only the caption of the message appears, i.e. From, Sent, To and Subject. The body of the message is missing. This seems to be an aspect of a broader problem I am having in printing certain received e-mail messages within margins. I can't set the print margins using Page Setup so that the messages print within margins. Instead some, but not all, messages are cut-off on the right and left margins. My OS is WinXP. ...

How to change line chart color based on condition like + and -.
I have a line chart that is somtimes negative and somtimes positive. I would like the line when negative to be red and when positive to be black or blue or green. Is there a conditional format procedure for line charts? Hi, This may help http://www.andypope.info/charts/conditionalline.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "egii" <egii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:405150D2-D170-4CC1-9F38-1A585172B293@microsoft.com... >I have a line chart that is somtimes negative and somtimes positive. I >would > li...

Zero Values in Chart
Can anyone please tell me how to stop a chart from displaying zero values. EX: 10 x axis entries but only the first 5 contain non-zero values. Thanks in advance.... Russ If the cells are truly blanks, try Tools menu > Options > Chart tab > Show blank cells as... Not Plotted. If the cells only look like blanks, such as formulas that return "", change the "" to NA(): =IF(A1>0,A1,NA()) The NA() produces an ugly #N/A error in the sheet, but in line and scatter charts they aren't plotted. Debra Dalgleish shows how to hide the errors with conditional f...

Economics: Supply and Demand Elasticity Chart
Does anyone know how to make an attractive graph that would show total revenue changes through product elasticty? Maybe even show the equilibrium changes? Thanks so much. ...

horrifyingly difficult excel chart / gantt question...
Hi, Sounds complicated, but will save a heap of time for me... I've got some data (actually exported from MS Project) in the following format: task name | duration | start date | finish date | level --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- task 1 | x | 1/1/6 | 30/1/6 | 1 task 2 | y | 5/1/6 | 20/1/6 | 2 milestone 1 | z | 25/1/6 | 15/1/6 | 3 and I want to roll these up in...

Converting multi line flat file records to XML
Similar to my earlier post I have a different flat file that has mutiple lines that make up different entitties of a single record and I need to convert this to XML. For example, line 1 is Customer billing information, line 2 is Customer shipping information, line 3 is Order information (#, date, totals etc...) and line 4...n is Order line items (item#, qty, unit price, line total). At line n+1 the second customer billing information repeats... What is the best way to convert this to XML? I came across some products/ libraries in the java world for similar stuff - XFlat from Unidex ...

Excel printout: column first print grey, second print black
Hello everybody, A strange problem with Excel 2000: when a print is made of a sheet, a column with the background color 'grey' is printed fine. But a second print from the same sheet - the background is black (and the text not readable - because this is black too). This happens on two PC's, one printing to a HP Laserjet 2100 (using XP Pro), and one printing to a Minolta C350... (using W2K). When restarting Excel - It starts over again..... Who's has the answer to the 1 million question?? With regards, Arie Vet ...

XML The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
Im getting this error while trying to read a xml file that i receive from a POST heres the code: Dim MyXmlReader As XmlTextReader Dim strNodeResult As String Dim NodeType As XmlNodeType Dim objwriter As StreamWriter Try MyXmlReader = New XmlTextReader(Request.InputStream) Do While MyXmlReader.Read '*******ERROR HERE ******** NodeType = MyXmlReader.NodeType Select Case NodeType 'Case XmlNodeType.XmlDeclaration 'strNodeResult += "XML Declaration :...

Print reports not available in offline mode
It seems that we are unable to print reports while running CRM 4.0 in offline mode, as the print icon on the reports doesn’t show at all. I’m wondering if print functionality in the offline client is disabled in CRM 4.0 altogether or we need to make some adjustments in the Outlook client settings first? ------=_NextPart_0001_864380DB Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi elbekvejrup, Thanks for posting in. This is Ken in Online Partner Support. I also tried to repro it and yes I cannot find the print icon on when I am offline. For my understanding, there is no s...

Is there Keyboard shortcut to print single page (Current Page)?

Great Plains should let me print a 1096 for 1099-Misc Forms
Just like when you are printing 1099-R forms, when printing 1099-Misc. forms you should be able to print out the 1096 Transmittal form. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defau...

Printing business cards on card stock using the HP DeskJet 970Cse
I have inherited a large quantity of non-standard business card stock that measures 7 11/16 in. wide by 11 1/8 in. tall. The margins are: T=.875 in., R=.625 in., L=.625 in., B=.25 in. There is no indication of the manufacturer, and none of the standard label settings within Word 2000 match those dimensions. I have constructed custom settings to accommodate this stock (the card cuts are a standard 2 1/2 in. by 3 in., 10 up by 2 across). How can I print my business cards on this stock using my HP DeskJet 970 Cse printer, since the stock jams in the printer when fed as paper is normall...