Chart Legend #3

I have Line charts on various sheets.  The charts are identical in size.
There are 12 items graphed on each chart.  However, the legend on each of
the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items.  I'm
not sure how to explain this clearly.

On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four items
each), which is correct.  Another chart's legend may only show 2 columns
totally only eight items (it should be 12).  I even have one chart's legend
showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column displaying).

I can't figure out what could be different from one legend to the next.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

0
pclive (112)

It might be that different legend entry string lengths cause a column of
legend entries to disappear. Can you select the legend and resize it using
the handles? Does that bring back the missing entries?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message
>I have Line charts on various sheets.  The charts are identical in size.
>There are 12 items graphed on each chart.  However, the legend on each of
>the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items.  I'm
>not sure how to explain this clearly.
>
> On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four
> items each), which is correct.  Another chart's legend may only show 2
> columns totally only eight items (it should be 12).  I even have one
> chart's legend showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column
> displaying).
>
> I can't figure out what could be different from one legend to the next.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/4/2006 3:51:37 PM
If I resize it tall-wise, it displays more.  But I'm trying to figure out
how the other legends are being displayed in three columns.  That's what I
want.  When you click to resize, you can see gridlines that indicate where
the columns/rows are for each item.  When I make resize this legend (that is
only displaying 4 items) larger, it just shows everything in what appears to
be one column.  The other's clearly display 3 columns when clicking to
resize the legend.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Paul

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> It might be that different legend entry string lengths cause a column of
> legend entries to disappear. Can you select the legend and resize it using
> the handles? Does that bring back the missing entries?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message
>>I have Line charts on various sheets.  The charts are identical in size.
>>There are 12 items graphed on each chart.  However, the legend on each of
>>the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items.  I'm
>>not sure how to explain this clearly.
>>
>> On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four
>> items each), which is correct.  Another chart's legend may only show 2
>> columns totally only eight items (it should be 12).  I even have one
>> chart's legend showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column
>> displaying).
>>
>> I can't figure out what could be different from one legend to the next.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

0
pclive (112)
5/4/2006 4:20:51 PM
To make the legend show three columns instead of two, you have to make the
legend wide enough to fit three columns. So either stretch the legend
width-wise, or shorten the series names.

- Jon
-------

> If I resize it tall-wise, it displays more.  But I'm trying to figure out
> how the other legends are being displayed in three columns.  That's what I
> want.  When you click to resize, you can see gridlines that indicate where
> the columns/rows are for each item.  When I make resize this legend (that
> is only displaying 4 items) larger, it just shows everything in what
> appears to be one column.  The other's clearly display 3 columns when
> clicking to resize the legend.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again,
> Paul
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> It might be that different legend entry string lengths cause a column of
>> legend entries to disappear. Can you select the legend and resize it
>> using the handles? Does that bring back the missing entries?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>
>> "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message
>>>I have Line charts on various sheets.  The charts are identical in size.
>>>There are 12 items graphed on each chart.  However, the legend on each of
>>>the charts seems to be displaying different numbers of charted items.
>>>I'm not sure how to explain this clearly.
>>>
>>> On one chart's legend, it might show 12 items (three columns with four
>>> items each), which is correct.  Another chart's legend may only show 2
>>> columns totally only eight items (it should be 12).  I even have one
>>> chart's legend showing only 4 items (as if it is only one column
>>> displaying).
>>>
>>> I can't figure out what could be different from one legend to the next.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/4/2006 4:34:40 PM
Thanks Jon,

Apparently, one of the items was really long and the legend is set to make
all columns equal.  Well I had to stretch it pretty far before it would add
columns.  I wish there was a way to have it wrap, or just not display the
remaining text so that three columns would be visible without resizing.  It
would also be nice if I could specify each column width or the width would
be automatically determined by the longest text length in that column.

Anyway, you helped me and I'll just have to work with it from here.

> To make the legend show three columns instead of two, you have to make the
> legend wide enough to fit three columns. So either stretch the legend
> width-wise, or shorten the series names.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message
>> If I resize it tall-wise, it displays more.  But I'm trying to figure out
>> how the other legends are being displayed in three columns.  That's what
>> I want.  When you click to resize, you can see gridlines that indicate
>> where the columns/rows are for each item.  When I make resize this legend
>> (that is only displaying 4 items) larger, it just shows everything in
>> what appears to be one column.  The other's clearly display 3 columns
>> when clicking to resize the legend.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Paul
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>>> It might be that different legend entry string lengths cause a column of
>>> legend entries to disappear. Can you select the legend and resize it
>>> using the handles? Does that bring back the missing entries?
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Peltier Technical Services
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>>> _______
>>>
>>> "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message

0
pclive (112)
5/4/2006 7:13:13 PM
Paul, there is a way to force a line break in your legend label.  Assuming
your label name is in a worksheet cell, say "Sales 2000" and you want the
break behind Sales so 2000 appears below Sales.  Use
=CONCATENATE("Sales",CHAR(13),"2000") - the CHAR(13) forces the line break.
(in the worksheet cell you shd see an empty little square between Sales and
2000).  This trick also comes handy to control x-axis labels (e.g. May 2006,
where u want 2006 below May because otherwise the label becomes too large).
Hope this works for you.

Regards,
Henk

"PCLIVE" wrote:

> Thanks Jon,
>
> Apparently, one of the items was really long and the legend is set to make
> all columns equal.  Well I had to stretch it pretty far before it would add
> columns.  I wish there was a way to have it wrap, or just not display the
> remaining text so that three columns would be visible without resizing.  It
> would also be nice if I could specify each column width or the width would
> be automatically determined by the longest text length in that column.
>
> Anyway, you helped me and I'll just have to work with it from here.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> > To make the legend show three columns instead of two, you have to make the
> > legend wide enough to fit three columns. So either stretch the legend
> > width-wise, or shorten the series names.
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Peltier Technical Services
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com/
> > _______
> >
> > "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message
> >> If I resize it tall-wise, it displays more.  But I'm trying to figure out
> >> how the other legends are being displayed in three columns.  That's what
> >> I want.  When you click to resize, you can see gridlines that indicate
> >> where the columns/rows are for each item.  When I make resize this legend
> >> (that is only displaying 4 items) larger, it just shows everything in
> >> what appears to be one column.  The other's clearly display 3 columns
> >> when clicking to resize the legend.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks again,
> >> Paul
> >>
> >> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message

0
HEK (135)
5/4/2006 8:01:01 PM
It's easier than that. Put your cursor in the cell where you want a new
line, and press Alt+Enter.

- Jon
-------

"HEK" <HEK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Paul, there is a way to force a line break in your legend label.  Assuming
> your label name is in a worksheet cell, say "Sales 2000" and you want the
> break behind Sales so 2000 appears below Sales.  Use
> =CONCATENATE("Sales",CHAR(13),"2000") - the CHAR(13) forces the line
> break.
> (in the worksheet cell you shd see an empty little square between Sales
> and
> 2000).  This trick also comes handy to control x-axis labels (e.g. May
> 2006,
> where u want 2006 below May because otherwise the label becomes too
> large).
> Hope this works for you.
>
> Regards,
> Henk
>
> "PCLIVE" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jon,
>>
>> Apparently, one of the items was really long and the legend is set to
>> make
>> all columns equal.  Well I had to stretch it pretty far before it would
>> add
>> columns.  I wish there was a way to have it wrap, or just not display the
>> remaining text so that three columns would be visible without resizing.
>> It
>> would also be nice if I could specify each column width or the width
>> would
>> be automatically determined by the longest text length in that column.
>>
>> Anyway, you helped me and I'll just have to work with it from here.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
>> > To make the legend show three columns instead of two, you have to make
>> > the
>> > legend wide enough to fit three columns. So either stretch the legend
>> > width-wise, or shorten the series names.
>> >
>> > - Jon
>> > -------
>> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> > Peltier Technical Services
>> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> > http://PeltierTech.com/
>> > _______
>> >
>> > "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote in message

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

population pyramids using bar charts with a secondary axis
I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However, I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have some suggestions. My organization has been producing reports that contain population pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to the point where we would like our charts to be available online for download....

Bill Reminder #3
In the older versions of Money it used to have a reminder that shows up the upcoming or overdue bills. I couldn't found it on the 2005 Premium version. Is it there ? I setup a bill but it didn't remind me at all. I think you mean Money Express? It stopped working reliably in M2004 and has been removed from M2005. I guess the effort to make it work properly was out of proportion! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/...

data points #3
I have a scatter chart with the following info : sales price, square footage, and subdivision. With the x and y axis being sales price and square footage. There are some entries where i will have several sales in one subdivision and i would like all those points to show up in the same color. How do i get several points to show up in the same color instead of excel assigning each entry a new label? Include all the related points in the same data series, rather than as a different data series for each point. -- David Biddulph "affordablegreen" <affordablegreen@discussion...

MS CRM 3.0 Customer Case Problem
Dear CRM Experts, I have a problem with MS CRM 3.0: I want to create a web based form in our company website that customers create their Cases (tickets) by it and we (I and my Tech. staff) response to them (Ticketing system). It seems for security reasons we shouldn’t allow CRM browsing outside of our Internal Network (Intranet). Please help me how can present solution for this problem. Best Regards, Mohsen Ahmadi You have a couple of options. There are third-party apps that will let you integrate CRM with your website, but with 3.0 you would probably need to purchase the External C...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

Error while import BCM Database into CRM 3.0
I am trying to import BCM Database into CRM 3.0 When I run " Data Migration for Microsoft Outlook Business Contact Manager" wizard I get an unexpected error. Can someone help ? thanks Here is the Log: 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Transitioning to next screen. From: Welcome screen. To: PreconditionCheck screen. 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Connecting to Microsoft CRM Shamir_Systems_MSCRM 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Checking that Microsoft CRM Data Migration Pack is installed: Success 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Establishing connection to CDF database: Success 8/21/2007 5:1...

Delete 3 end row
Hi I want to delete three end row of any sheet. any sheet has different row number. Thank's for any help. your's Hi, This will clear the last 3 rows of the active sheet. Note I the on error line is to cope when there are less than 3 rows on the sheet Sub del_Last_3() Dim LastRow As Long On Error Resume Next LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:="*", _ SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _ SearchOrder:=xlRows).Row ActiveSheet.Rows(LastRow - 2 & ":" & LastRow).ClearContents End Sub -- Mike Whe...

Drop down menu #3
Hi, I want to create a drop down menu for my customer list. The drop down menu should have a auto search function. eg. If I type in "Mic", the drop down menu will bring me to the customer name close to "Mic". How can I do it? Can I update the customer list regularly. Pong This previous post by Debra Dalgleish would be of interest: "Although data validation doesn't support autocomplete, there's a sample file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the values from the data validation list. In the combobox, you can enable autocom...

customizations import from 3.0 to 4.0
Is is possible to import customizations into a 4.0 system that were exported from a 3.0 install? You will need to upgrade 3.0 implementation to 4.0 by running MS CRM 4.0 setup. Please go through Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Installing Guide. You can download this guide from folowing URL http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1CEB5E01-DE9F-48C0-8CE2-51633EBF4714&displaylang=en I don't think that there is any supported way through which you can import 3.0 Customization file to 4.0 implementation. Cheers, Rohit "Leo_B" wrote: > Is is possible to im...

Crystal Reports 9.2.3 and CRM
Hi, I'd like to know if CRM does work fine with the Crystal Reports Pro Version 9.2.3. I know the recommanded version is 9.2.2 but was just wondering if somebody successfully worked with 9.2.3/CRM Thanks Eric I have used a version line 9.2.4 so I would assume yes it will work. Only way to be sure is to try it. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Eric" <NOSPAMerich742001@yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:%23GB4wV9SFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'd like to know if CRM does work fine with the Crystal Reports Pro Ve...

Money Download #3
I am assuming with all the issues, Microsoft is not going to be making Money available for download today? Don't see why not, the download version isn't going to be any different to the one you buy in the shops! But do please think twice about using a download and rather get a version on media! What are you going to do when your hard disk dies taking your downloaded copy of Money with it?!! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsof...

CRM 3.0 Mobile for Cingular 8525 (HTC Hermes)
I was just looking at the minimum requirements for CRM 3.0 Mobile and I see only the Texas Instruments and Intel processors listed. The 8525 uses a Samsung 400MHz processor. Is there a plan in place to test and release on this platform? The Intel processors usually mean Xscale processors or ARM processors. The Samsung chip is almost certainly a repacked ARM processor so should work. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "captbackfire" <captbackfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A818737C-44F3-4...

more symbols in chart
I need to chart an experiment data for 28 monkeys. I wanted to use a separate symbol for each monkey. I am limited to black and white only, so I can't use multiple colors. I am experimenting on changing white, black for back ground color, fore color, to make a distinct symbol for each monkey. Does any body know how do we get more symbols on the chart? Thanks in advance for any help, sheela Jon Peltier has instructions for Custom series markers: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html sheela wrote: > I need to chart an experiment data for 28 ...

OWA login problem #3
Initialy there was an error ASP 0115 Errors in IIS This what I 've done ; Click Start, point to Programs, click Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack, click Microsoft Internet Information Server, and then click Internet Service Manager. Expand Internet Information Server. Right-click the computer name, and then click Properties. In the Master Properties drop-down list box, click WWW Service, and then click Edit. Click the Home Directory tab, and then click Configuration. On the Process Options tab, click to clear the Enable Debug Exception Catching check box. Click OK to close the Application C...

Slow acces CRM 3.0
Hi, We have a problem, our CRM goes slow. There are 10 active users using CRM with web browse, and sometimes Outlook client. Our server is a Compaq Proliant with 2 processor Xeon and 2 Gb of RAM. We installed CRM SBS, exchange, sql server in the same server. We accomplish all recommended requierements says by Microsoft but when I go to open an account it's delay about 10 seconds. Why?? thanks in advance I have recently come accross a client that forgot to turn of the tracing in CRM, and this was causing a lot of delays, and the type of wait time's that you describe. Could it...

Drop Down List for Chart
I have grouped my series into several groups. How do I display a drop down list including the groups which will dynamically identify which series to plot on the chart? For example: Group A = Series 1, Series 2, Series 3 Group B = Series 4, Series 5 Group C = Series 6 Drop down list includes values: "Group A", "Group B", "Group C" When Group A is selected within the drop down, Series 1, 2 and 3 are plotted on the chart. Do you mean you have to plot data, and have the chart move week to week? if so, easiest way is to use a hlookup/vlookup "savior1&quo...

How do I assign labels to scatter charts
Hi. I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual points. How do I do this? Many thanks in advance for your help. Tom Hi, Here is an explanation of how to link a chart text element to a cell. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm But if you have more than a couple of data labels to do you really need to use code. This free addin will do it for you. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy ThomasStudd wrote: > Hi. > > I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual > points. H...

how can I show repeating values in a chart?
I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how can I show that compared to the number 50 which come up 2 times in the sheet? Thanks for the help Hi, You will need to compute those values using formula or a pivot table and then chart the results. Cheers Andy Cindy wrote: > I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. > For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how > can I show that compared to the number 50 whi...

3D Pie Chart
Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise above the others not seperating from the pie. Does that make sense? I am using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version. If anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited. THANKS! Hi, Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize. To e...

Scatter Charts #3
Hi, I am plotting a XY chart. I want that every point should be of different colour. Possibly I can define a range of 2 columns where column 1 contains the name for which the point is plotted and column 2 contains the colour for that point. I have seen this being done in one chart but that person is no longer available for help Please tell me how is it done Thanks Shilps Hi Shilps - Double click on the chart, and on the Options tab, check the Vary Colors by Point box. Now that you know where it's hidden, you'll become the resident expert! - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel...

Truncated "y" axis label in chart
:confused: Hi guys I have a problem with Excel, the label on the �Y� axis appears truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem? -- flakkortin -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

I need .5 instead of .3 on total time on time sheet
I need to make the total time at the end of the week show .5 (39.5 hours) not .3 (39.3 hours) What formula? What value of the source cells? What formatting? -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Anthonyt65" <Anthonyt65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B4BFDEF-6625-42E9-ACC3-143C5C8C8832@microsoft.com... >I need to make the total time at the end of the week show .5 (39.5 hours) > not .3 (39.3 hours) try =MROUND(F2,0.5) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Anthonyt65" <Anthonyt65@discussions.microsoft.c...

Reprsent negative values in excel charts
Hi, Can someone help in how to reprsent the negative values in the chart and which is the best chart to represent it? What type of chart are you making? In a line, column, bar, XY, or area chart, the negative values are merely plotted on the other side of an axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "uha" <uha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166604B5-A331-4EE6-8010-D921C1EEA017@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can someone help in how to reprsent t...

CScrollBar #3
void CClientDlg::OnVScroll(UINT nSBCode, UINT nPos, CScrollBar* pScrollBar) { // TODO: Add your message handler code here and/or call default /* SB_BOTTOM Scroll to bottom. SB_ENDSCROLL End scroll. SB_LINEDOWN Scroll one line down. SB_LINEUP Scroll one line up. SB_PAGEDOWN Scroll one page down. SB_PAGEUP Scroll one page up. SB_THUMBPOSITION Scroll to the absolute position. The current position is provided in nPos. SB_THUMBTRACK Drag scroll box to specified position. The current position is provided in nPos. SB_TOP Scroll to top. */ I move the scrollbar box around b...

Money 2004: Error in Subtotals and Cash Flow Charts
On my Account List screen and in the charts on my Cash Flow screen, the subtotals for my checking, credit card, and investment accounts are shown as ridiculously large numbers (i.e. $268,991,640,696,311.71). When I check each account for beginning balances ($0) and all of the transactions in each account, I can't find anything that would be causing this. (The ending balances at the list of transactions in each account is correctly listed.) My currency is also correctly set to USD. Does anyone know where this huge number might be coming from? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money...