Chart gridlines over an area graph

Good morning!

I have an excel chart with an area graph.  When I add gridlines to the chart
the lines do not show over the colored area portion of the graph.  i found a
button for droplines which added the Y axis lines, but have found nothing
that will show the X axis lines through the graph.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Have a GREAT day!

brenda

Hi,

You will need to draw the gridlines yourself using additional data series.
For horizontal gridlines you could use a series for each line, changing
the y value for each series.
Or a single series plotted as xyscatter. The x value would be 1 and the
y value will vary according to the required gridlines. You could then
use the X error bar with a fixed value to provide the lines.

See Jon Peltier's explanation,
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryGridlines.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
frendabrenda1 <frendabrenda1@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>I have an excel chart with an area graph.  When I add gridlines to the chart
>the lines do not show over the colored area portion of the graph.  i found a
>button for droplines which added the Y axis lines, but have found nothing
>that will show the X axis lines through the graph.

Make fake gridlines by creating a data series that plots horizontal
lines, then make sure it's the last series so it plots on top of the
others. Jon Peltier's web site has examples.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Trendline Graphs
Hi I have created graphs and added a trendline and then went to options and selected to see on the graph the linear formula and R2. I need to use the linear formula in a table elsewhere in the spreadsheet. Is there a way to to reference the formula directly so that when the variables in the data table are changed that it automatically filters through to the graph and the new linear formula is then reflected in the table elsewhere? thanks Carlob1 See Help for SLOPE(), INTERCEPT(), and RSQ(). If you mean a linear combination of mutiple predictors (polynomial, etc) then see Help for LINEST()...

Add a horizontal line to a graph but not to the legend
I want to be able to add horizontal lines to my chart, in this case at 4% and 6% on the y-axis. The solutions I've seen so far suggest to add a series at these points. The problem is that when I add a seires, my legend shows the new series when I don't really want them to. Is there a really simple way that I've overlooked so that I can just add a line at one y-value and all the x values on the graph and not have it appearing in the legend? Thanks I have just tested inserting an extra series in both xl2002 and xl2007 and if you select the legend and then select the indiv...

How do I make a combination chart in 2007 as in 2003?
Cannot work out how to make a simple combination graph like it was easy to do in 2003. Doesn't seem to be any help on this. Hi, Combination charts are still possible in xl2007. But the default ones presented in xl2003 have gone. Basically you have to create the combination yourself. Create the chart in the style that most series will be. Then selected a series that you want to change the chart type of and then press the Chart Type button in the Change Chart Type button within the Type Group in the Design tab of the Chart Tools contextual tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsof...

Using a variable for a chart limit
Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Vince F Hi, See Jon's information http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy Vince F wrote: > Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell > reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, > but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Andy Pop...

Conditional Graphs/charts?
I'll try to simplify things as much as possible. I currently have a numerically ordered list. I need to only display the list up to a certain number. The certain number which I need to list up to changes depending on other variables. I also need to display this restricted list in a graph/chart. I could conditionally format the list to only display numbers in a readable font colour up to the certain number, however when i then put the data into a chart, the values which are unreadable on the worksheet (e.g. because they are the same colour as the background) are displayed in the graph....

Using drop lines with XY scatter chart
I want to use the drop lines with a XY scatter chart, but unfortunately that option is not available under 'Format Data Series'---->'Options'. I know that this drop line option is available with other chart types like 'Line', problem is I can't use the Line chart type since it can't correcty represent my data set. I want a workable solution. XY charts don't have drop lines, but you can substitute an error bar. Double click on the series, click on either Error Bar tab, and select a negative error bar, select the Percentage option, and enter 100%. If ...

Can't view charts
All my charts located in new sheets disappear!! How do you turn on the charts to view them normally? Try: Tools | Options; open View tab; locate Objects group in middle of dialog; check the Show All option. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Joanna" <Joanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A5C9E98-FEB4-4A30-BADC-BF4DC5708D90@microsoft.com... > All my charts located in new sheets disappear!! How do you turn on the > charts to view them normally? Hi, Thanks for the suggestion...

Zoom for Charts in XP
I cannot get the zoom function to work with my charts in XP. Using Windows ME the zoom function works fine. However I have tried everything in EP and I cannot get the zoom function to work with my charts. Any recommendations. johnuckols@aol.com John wrote: > I cannot get the zoom function to work with my charts in > XP. Using Windows ME the zoom function works fine. > However I have tried everything in EP and I cannot get the > zoom function to work with my charts. > > Any recommendations. > > johnuckols@aol.com Check the setting for "Sized with window&qu...

Number of items per day in chart.
Hello all, I have a list of dates and times ( listed as 1/18/2006 1:30:10 AM in cell) that indicate a sale that took place. What I am trying to do is create a chart from this list that indicate the number of sales per day. I would like the chart to have the days of the month accross the bottom and a bar indicating how many sales per that day. Can anybody help me with this? Whenever i try and use the bar chart it shows me a cumulative total (includes the previous sales from previous days). Also, I am using Excel 2003. Any help would be appreciated, Ian Let's assume you data...

Problem updating references on a chart
Hello, I have a spreadsheet with 50 tabs. Each tab has a 6 month audit score that looks like this: MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% There is a bar graph linked to these cells on each tab. What I am trying to do is group the tabs together, then delete the MAR score, shift all cells to the left, then add a SEP score. The problem is... when I try to do that, the graph changes to only show APR MAY JUN JUL & AUG. I can't get it to automatically add SEP. I could do it individually but that would be very time consuming to do it for 50 ...

Charting 2 pivot data items as one result
I have a pivot table that has a Count of Tools and a count of plants. What I want to chart is the result of the Count of Tools/Count of Plants. I tried using formulas from the PivotTable tools but I can't seem to make it work. I hate to think that I have to write the code to read the pivot table and place the valuse in cells below the pivot table then chart that range. Thanks for the help. Scott Scott - You wouldn't need VBA code to do this. If you know the structure of your pivot table, you can put a formula in a cell or cells outside the pivot table to give you this ...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

bar chart axes minimum & maximum
Hello again I have excel 2007 I have a horizontal bar chart with about 12 bars. The horizontal axis shows the date; dates range from about 10 days ago to about 3 weeks into the future. To set the date axis I have to use 'format axis / options, fixed' & set the maximum & minimum 'manually'. I would like to set the minimum & maximum automatically from values I set in cells in the spreadsheet. Is this possible, ? Can anyone tell me how to do it please ? Thanks KK Hi, No you can not link the scale min/max values directly to a cell. You can though with ...

USE DISJUNCT DATA IN A CHART
DATA LOOKS LIKE THIS A B C YEAR COUNTY ESTIMATE 1981 ADAMS 100 1981 ALLEN 25 1981 ASHLAND 71 1981 ASHTABULA 40 1982 ADAMS 150 1982 ALLEN 30 2005 ADAMS 1000 2005 ALLEN 500 I HAVE 88 COUNTIES AND 25 YEARS OF POPULATION ESTIMATES. FOR EACH COUNTY I WANT A SIMPLE X*Y LINE CHART, YEAR ON X, ESTI...

right click with mouse doesnt function in graphs
When I right click a graph or tab no box or set of commands comes up. Even when I click on a graph with the left button no commands arise that let me extend the data range. Whats gone wrong, it used to work but not anymore David - Is it a shared workbook? In order to enable sharing, lots of other features must be disabled. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ David wrote: > When I right click a graph or tab no box or set of > commands comes up. Even when I click on a graph with t...

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

chart reports
I have five chart wizard reports that I need to print at the same time every week. How do I set that up? How automated do you want this? Your options are: From have someone run them at the same time every week To creating a macro that runs each of the reports and then quits. Then use a scheduling program to open your MDB with a command line that calls the macro. If you have specific requirements, you need to let us know. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "DJACKSON" wrote: > I have five chart wizard reports that I need to print at the same time every > week. How d...

Access Chart with a secondary Y Axis
Hi all Does anyone know if it's possible to get a secondary y-axis in Access charts? I have two series of numbers. One averages around 2.0 and the other around 50 (both measured against time) e.g. Jan07 1.8 48.7 Feb07 1.9 50.4 Mar07 1.9 49.8 Apr07 2.1 52.3 May07 2.0 45.2 Jun07 2.0 49.8 Jul07 1.9 50.3 If I plot both on the same graph as line the first series would just appear as a flat line along the bottom and I can't see any changes in it. Is there a way to have a secondary axis (I think this is possible in Excel) on the right hand side of the chart? I've thought there might be ...

How to set time on x-axis of a bar graph?
I want to make a graph that has the x-axis labels a full 24 hour period. I have data points at random times during the day and I want to express that in the graph. For example, if I have 5 at 7:00, 2 at 7:40, and 3 at 11:00, I want it to show that the 5 and 2 are closer together than the 9, for example that there were more occurances at 7, none between then, and 1 at 11:00? In a bar (or column) chart, the x-axis is a <category> axis not a numeric one. This means the x-values are treated as text and each is equally spaced from the other. You might consider an XY chart with 100% n...

Cannot select charts in Spreadsheet
Hello ! I received a spread sheet which the originator must have made some setting to prevent the selection of the charts in the spread sheet. I also notice the drawing toolbar has been masked (buttons are dull colored cannot be selected). What can I do to change this setting on selection of the charts so that I can edit them ? Thanks in advance. Is the workbook/worksheet protected? -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "ch" wrote: > Hello ! > > I received a spread sheet which the originator must have made some setting > to prevent the selection of the charts in the spre...

gridlines #7
how do I get half a document in gridlines Format the half you don't want to have them with a white pattern. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "sue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8866D571-AE9A-4C6D-B965-FBBDA4D3F664@microsoft.com... >...

Line Graph: Changing X/Y Axis'
Can somebody please help to recommend a tutorial or simple directions on creating a chart in Office 2007 that will show how to create a simple line chart (2-D is fine) that gives flexibility in flipping the x and y axis? This seems challenging in 2007... Thanks. You cannot 'flip' a Line chart. In a Line chart the x axis has category values and if flipped this would give category values to the y axis which must have numeric values. But you can readily flip an XY chart. Click the chart; from the Chart Tools select Design; Click Select Data; now use Edit. In the Edit dialog, select ...

Line Chart 03-22-10
I am trying to create a chart that will allow me to have multiple years on the same chart so the difference can be seen from year to year. Second problem is there a limit to what can be entered into the axis. I'm not sure if this is clear or not. Appreciate any assistance. EXCEL 2007 Please check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 53. Open the Workbook and go to the Chart Worksheet. 1. Change data range A4 to A8 to, for example:- 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 These dates will then appear in the Horizontal Axis of the chart. This gives y...

How to change a bar to line in a combo chart?
I am currently using Excel & PPt 2000 and cannot figure out how to control which rows of data are displayed as a bar or line in a combunation chart. In PPt it combo bar/line chart defaults to the last row only as a line and in Excel it seems to have half as a bar/ half as a line. Any suggestions? In the chart, select the series you want changed. Then, select Chart | Chart Type... and pick the desired type+subtype. When a single series is selected the chart type choice applies only to that one series. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-...

Manual for beginners -- Charts with Excel
You may find useful a training manual I wrote for making charts in Excel. The manual is for beginners to intermediate users. [So, no VBA and dynamic ranges and stuff]. Great for teaching college students or self-mastering the Excel Charts facility. In any case, the book is free at http://www.vgupta.com VJ ...