Chart frequency of date/time value...?

This is probably simple but frankly, Excel and math are not my strong
points and never were so please, I need some help.

I have just one column that contains date/time values down the the
second, i.e.:

11/6/2004 12:00:10AM
11/6/2004 12:00:24AM
11/6/2004 12:00:27AM

I need to group this data somehow into ten or fiteen minute intervals
and bar-graph the number of rows tallied per interval.

Any help greatly appreciated!

If anyone cares, btw, the data is actually from a firewall log and I
need to determine traffic trends through the day(s).

Thanks,
-B

Joe -

This is a histogram. There are some examples here:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html

Here's how you'd go about it.

Set up some times to define your intervals. For example, put 11/6/2004 12:00:00AM
into cell B1. In cell B2, put the formula =B1+TIMEVALUE("00:10:00") for ten minute
intervals. Copy cell B2, select from B3 down as far as you think you need intervals
(say B13 for 2 hours), and paste. Select C1:C14 (one more cell than you have
intervals: the last is for the count above the largest), in C1 type this formula,
=FREQUENCY(A1:A20,B1:B13), and hold CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter to make it an
array formula. A1:A20 is the list of times, so expand it as needed. If you do this
right, Excel puts curly brackets around the formula:

{=FREQUENCY(A1:A20,B1:B13)}

Now you can select the data in B and C and run the chart wizard to make your chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Joe User wrote:

> This is probably simple but frankly, Excel and math are not my strong
> points and never were so please, I need some help.
>
> I have just one column that contains date/time values down the the
> second, i.e.:
>
> 11/6/2004 12:00:10AM
> 11/6/2004 12:00:24AM
> 11/6/2004 12:00:27AM
>
> I need to group this data somehow into ten or fiteen minute intervals
> and bar-graph the number of rows tallied per interval.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!
>
> If anyone cares, btw, the data is actually from a firewall log and I
> need to determine traffic trends through the day(s).
>
> Thanks,
> -B

Great lead!!!  Thanks...

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:47:41 -0500, Jon Peltier
<jonREMOVExlmvp@peltierCAPStech.com> wrote:

>Joe -
>
>This is a histogram. There are some examples here:
>
>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html
>
>Here's how you'd go about it.
>
>Set up some times to define your intervals. For example, put 11/6/2004 12:00:00AM
>into cell B1. In cell B2, put the formula =B1+TIMEVALUE("00:10:00") for ten minute
>intervals. Copy cell B2, select from B3 down as far as you think you need intervals
>(say B13 for 2 hours), and paste. Select C1:C14 (one more cell than you have
>intervals: the last is for the count above the largest), in C1 type this formula,
>=FREQUENCY(A1:A20,B1:B13), and hold CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter to make it an
>array formula. A1:A20 is the list of times, so expand it as needed. If you do this
>right, Excel puts curly brackets around the formula:
>
>{=FREQUENCY(A1:A20,B1:B13)}
>
>Now you can select the data in B and C and run the chart wizard to make your chart.
>
>- Jon
>-------
>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>Peltier Technical Services
>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>http://PeltierTech.com/
>_______
>
>Joe User wrote:
>
>> This is probably simple but frankly, Excel and math are not my strong
>> points and never were so please, I need some help.
>>
>> I have just one column that contains date/time values down the the
>> second, i.e.:
>>
>> 11/6/2004 12:00:10AM
>> 11/6/2004 12:00:24AM
>> 11/6/2004 12:00:27AM
>>
>> I need to group this data somehow into ten or fiteen minute intervals
>> and bar-graph the number of rows tallied per interval.
>>
>> Any help greatly appreciated!
>>
>> If anyone cares, btw, the data is actually from a firewall log and I
>> need to determine traffic trends through the day(s).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -B

How to select series in chart?

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

visual basic

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Multiple stacked bar charts

transparent areas in charts?

printing 2 charts on single page

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Dates #9

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Qrp Date functions

date tracking

question about Time

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

Short time vs short date

Date Calculation

date modified

Date function quit working