Chart data from text file

I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file.  There are
many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them
all to Excel.

Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data from a text file?
0
hmm (30)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file.  There are
>many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them
>all to Excel.
>
>Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data from a text file?

I haven't dealt with it myself, but I understand something called ODBC
(Open Database Connectivity) is a good way to read external files that
aren't Excel into Excel. You'll need to learn to use ODBC, and make or
find an ODBC driver for tab-separated text files.

Perhaps one of the other Excel newsgroups can help you with this. It's a
bit outside the remit for microsoft.public.excel.charting, since it's
all about the stages that come before using the Excel spreadsheet's
small and limited graphing function. After you've found out how to bring
in the data, you can make an Excel Chart the same way you normally would
(except you may have to use named ranges instead of spreadsheet cell
reference ranges).

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

I've just always written some technique in VBA to let a user choose one or
more files, dump the files into a new Excel sheet, and add the data to a new
or existing chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> hmm <hmm@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>I have my x- and y- values as tab-separated values in a text file.  There
>>are
>>many different files, so it is too cubersome to open them all convert them
>>all to Excel.
>>
>>Is there any way I can create a chart that reads its data from a text
>>file?
>
> I haven't dealt with it myself, but I understand something called ODBC
> (Open Database Connectivity) is a good way to read external files that
> aren't Excel into Excel. You'll need to learn to use ODBC, and make or
> find an ODBC driver for tab-separated text files.
>
> Perhaps one of the other Excel newsgroups can help you with this. It's a
> bit outside the remit for microsoft.public.excel.charting, since it's all
> about the stages that come before using the Excel spreadsheet's small and
> limited graphing function. After you've found out how to bring in the
> data, you can make an Excel Chart the same way you normally would (except
> you may have to use named ranges instead of spreadsheet cell reference
> ranges).
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11

find action on log file

Maximum file sizes

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

data sort

Pulling data from separate tabs

Formula for cross tab data filling

Help with importing data

predict future data

Reference / Copy Dynamic Data
Have a worksheet listing products and prices for numerous suppliers. eg.: Supplier--Product---Price ABC-------apple-----1.00 ABC-------orange----1.20 XYZ-------brick-----3.40 XYZ-------cement----0.80 This worksheet will change often. What I would like is to reference this information on other worksheets. I would also split the info onto a worksheet for each supplier. Therefore i will have a worksheet for ABC and for XYZ, and the info in these worksheets will change as the main "index" worksheet changes. eg. Worksheet ABC contains: Product---Price apple-----1.00 orange----1.20 ...

How do I find the Data Analysis Plus toolpak for excel
does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. opher32 - > does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. < Start by looking on the CD that was in the back of the textbook. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...

Calculations adding Text formats
I am new at this so please bear with me. I am using Excel XP. In my column I have a list of numbers. Some are formatted as text and some are formatted at numeric. When I insert by formula it seems to be calculating the entire column, even the text formatted cells. What am I doing wrong. Example Cell A1 = 5 - numeric Cell A2 = 5 - text format Cell A3 = 5 - text format Cell A4 = 5 - numeric format formula states =sum(a1:a4) the total should be 10 not 20. Correct? You're not doing anything wrong, per se. Changing formats cannot change numbers into text values or text values into...

Formating text in cells
Hello, does anyone know how to force Excel to keep the hyphen or dash character (-) with the associated numbers when putting multiple dash-#s in a cell and turning "wrap" formating on? This is the same problem I have in Word; when I add dash-#s (ie; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz) Office apps interpret dashes ( - ) as a hypehen to a word and will keep the dash/hyphen on the line above until there are enough characters to force the dash/hyphen to the next line. In my work we use the format; -xxx, -yyy, -zzz to denote multiple versions of the same base part. Work instructions to operators...