Chart columns

Hi,
I am creating a series of charts.  I remember someplace to
change to shape of the column to round the corners.  I
can't seem to find at anymore, any help?  I am using excel
2000.  Thank you for any help you can give me.
0
rmacneil (1)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:59:37 -0800, rmacneil@comcast.net =

> Hi,
> I am creating a series of charts.  I remember someplace to
> change to shape of the column to round the corners.  I
> can't seem to find at anymore, any help?  I am using excel
> 2000.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

I don't know how to do this simply.  But I have an idea you could try.

Create an image of a box with rounded corners using a drawing package.  =

Save it to a file.  Create your column chart.  Select a series, Format |=
 =

Selected data series | Patterns tab | Fill effects button | Picture tab =
| =

Select picture button.  Find your newly created picture and use it as yo=
ur =

column shape.

Let me know how it works.

-- =

Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
0
dvt_spam (111)
10/30/2003 1:43:11 PM
You don't need a drawing package.  Draw a rounded rectangle autoshape in
Excel, formatted the way you want it to look in the chart.  Copy this
shape, select the chart series, and paste using Ctrl-V.  The series now
uses the rounded rectangles for its columns.  To replace just one column
in a series, select the series, then click on the single column to
replace, then paste.  This works with custom shapes for line and scatter
chart markers, too.  Amaze and impress your friends with stars, arrows,
and smiley faces.  Here's more:

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

dvt wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:59:37 -0800, rmacneil@comcast.net
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am creating a series of charts.  I remember someplace to
>> change to shape of the column to round the corners.  I
>> can't seem to find at anymore, any help?  I am using excel
>> 2000.  Thank you for any help you can give me.
>

> I don't know how to do this simply.  But I have an idea you could try.
>
> Create an image of a box with rounded corners using a drawing package.
> Save it to a file.  Create your column chart.  Select a series, Format |
> Selected data series | Patterns tab | Fill effects button | Picture tab
> | Select picture button.  Find your newly created picture and use it as
> your column shape.
>
> Let me know how it works.

repost: split excel columns
Thank you for the feed back on the below question. When using "text to columns" it seems to create new columns and the info. in one column can be split but I was looking to essentially create two columns in one. For instance, within column D which was widened, I wanted two columns in rows 5:15. I'm trying to convert something into an excel template that is too long and don't want to change any of the column widths already in place. I know you can do this in Word when transferring an excel table. You would right click on the cell and there is a function called split ...

Sum a column that meets two criteria
I need to sum a column of numbers if it matches two different criteria. I can set up the SUMIF easily for meeting one criteria, but I need to also sum the column if it meets that criteria, and another. For example: A B C 1 150 ABC MS1 2 200 DEF MS0 3 100 LMN MS0 4 125 ABC MS1 5 175 LMN MS1 6 225 DEF MS0 I need to have a formula that would say <<Sum column A IF column B = "DEF" AND column C = "MS0">>. (and so forth for the other combinations). I know there has to be a way to do this, probably using a combination of an IF and SUMIF functions - but i keep...

Lookup two columns
I want to compare the contents of two (adjacent) cells in one sheet with two adjacent cells in another sheet (within one workspace) and if the *pair* of cells are the same, deliver the value in the cell a few columns along (if you know what I mean - like lookup but comparing two cells). The cells are not sorted. Any ideas? Cheers. Bobby If you are comparing A1-B1 sheet 1 to A1-B1 sheet 2, then =IF(AND(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!B1=Sheet2!B1),"They match","no match") If you have to "lookup" A1-B1 against the whole columns of A and B on sheet2, then kyou co...

Nice Column Graph
So I have data like this: Year Month #start #end 2001 1 4 2 2001 2 6 5 2001 3 7 1 2001 4 5 4 2001 5 2 6 ..... I'd like to make a column chart where the year and month are on one axis and then I have a column for each #start and #end for each month/year pair. Is there a way to tell the chart wizard that I want to use those two columns for the x axis and then the #start and #end columns for the other? Thanks. Hi, Remove the 'Year' and 'Month' text from the 2 cells and then select and use the chart wiza...

Calculate the % increase for two columns
I have a pivot table, the data was first display by date, i know i can use the grouping function to group data into monthly basis. But I want to know that can I set the formula to calculate the months difference between, say the sales amount of June & July, and the % of the difference?? Million thanks If you have a grouped field, you won't be able to add a calculated item to the pivot table. In the source data, you could add a column to calculate the month for each record. Refresh the pivot table, and add the new field Add another copy of the Data field to the data area Right-c...

Count column difference
Hi Using MSExcel 97. I have two columns of data e.g. A1: A4, containing values 5,10, 3, 6 B1:B4, containing values 3, 8, 7, 4 I wish to perform a count (e.g. in C5) of the number of rows where the value in column A exceeds the respective value in column B (in this case count = 3, as A1>B1, A2>B2, and A4>B4). Just cannot get my formula right. Tried using an array (but difficult when comparing the difference between two columns), and COUNT. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Wizzy ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.co...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Where free 2 sigma statistical process control chart, free?
where can I download a free statistical process control chart template? ...

moving columns
Hi all, I have a sheet in which in row 3 there is data like this: ColumnA B C D E F Customer name 1-30 30-60 60-90 90-270 270-300 what is want is that 270-300 should move in front of 1-30, I mean t say that column F should move in front of Column B but after column A movement should be on basis that in column F, it is written 270-300 and columns may change , i mean to say that sometimes there is no 30-6 and 90-270 column columns may increase or decrease do we have a solution to this thank u al -- Message posted from http...

Validation
I would like to have combo box functionality for the data validation feature in Excel 2000. This doesn't seem to be available in the native validation setup dialog box. Am I missing something? I would like to display the validated items list in the leftmost column and have column(s) of description display to the right of each list item (so I can tell which list item I should select). Suggestions? Many Thanks, Bill Vallance Bill Debra Dalgleish has instructions for creating dependent DV lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 08 Jun 20...

Constant List
Is there an easy way to return the values of the ChartType constants? Excel 97 does not seem to list them in help and I have not been able to find them in google.group searches. Thanks M Select xlChartTypes in the Classes pane of the object browser. The constants are named in the members panel. If you select one, it provides the numeric equivalent at the bottom of the object browser, e.g., Const xlArea = 1 Member of Excel.XlChartType - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ M wrote: > Is there...

Excel --- Physical dimensions of a chart object
Is there a way to know the physical dimensions of a chart object on a worksheet? I have data in several worksheets and I would like all my charts to be of the same size (obviously this means that data with a smaller range of values will be more spread out than data with a larger range of values). Thanks, Nimmi This is just an example: Sub Macro2() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select n = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Width m = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Height MsgBox (n & " BY " & m...

Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart
Hi, I have the following data for example. A = 2 B= 3 C = 4 I can create a 2 D Bar chart from this quite easily. Now If I make the data to A = 2 , 3 B= 3 , 4 C = 4 , 5 I do want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from the value given after comma. Please help. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Fazi <farazahmedtoor@gmail.com> said: >I have the following data for example. >A = 2 , 3 >B= 3 , 4 >C = 4 , 5 > >I want to plot the data on the basis of firs...

What is the best chart for this....
When I want to compare how each salesperson's sales contributes to Total Sales, I can use a pie chart. But what do I use when I want to compare how each salesperson performed against the *average* of total sales? I am envisioning a vertical bar chart with a horizontal line at the average, but I need a solution that can be generated by a macro. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Patti Patti - That's how you would do it, a column chart with a horizontal line. On this web page, I give a couple techniques to achieve the horizontal line: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine...

How do I add y-axis labeling on the right side of chart?
I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. You'll need to have at least two series in order to enter a secondary axis. On one of the series, change the Axis to Secondary axis. "DavidNHFCU" <DavidNHFCU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28759EE0-759E-4964-8F5E-6C49099653B6@microsoft.com... > I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. How can I force the y-axis at the bottom of my chart to appear for all 12 months when I only have Jan, Feb and March figures to put in the first thre...

excel chart showing movable graph at what point we make a profit
in a business would like to make a chart based on accumulated Earnings & Profit/Loss for year to date, perhaps movable showing our break even point and by moving chart to a another earnings figure what profit we should make. For example put in earnings for YTD Profit/Loss YTD then I can move the earnings part of the chart to show what our profit would be for a given earnings figure. Alternatively If For example if we earn $200 for year so far and profit is $0 but any amount over that is 18% profit so I can move chart line to say $240 and it will say what profit I will make. Hope ...

"Print to Scale" Excel 2007 Charts
In Excel 2003, one could double-click a chart, print, and the chart would auto-size to fill a page. I am unable to print my newly-created Excel 2007 charts so they auto-size to print one-to-a-page (now requires several time-consuming steps for reformatting titles, axes, etc.). I do not have a "print to scale" option in my page setup. Printing to a Ricoh Aficio AP610N. Thanks so much. I will assume we are talking of an embedded chart (one sitting on a worksheet) and not a chart sheet. In Excel 2003 (all earlier) you did not double click, you just single clicked to...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?

Stacked and single column in same chart?
How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a single column? When I build a stacked column chart, any new source data I add wants to put it in the same stacked column. Use one of the links on this page. You need to set up the data so the single column is in a stacking position with no other columns of data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Einstine wrote: > How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a sing...

Move data from column to rows HELP!!!
Hi thanks for taking the time to look at my problem, currently i have column that has thousands of rows of information in it, it looks lik this A 40432 432654 3432 532543 32432 523 53425 532532 532 523 532 111 222 333 666 numbers that go on into mabye the 5000-6000 range what i need to do is have that data moved So it looks like this A | B | C 40432 | 32432 | 532 432654 | 523 | 523 3432 | 52432 | 111 532543 | 532532 | 222 So on and so on, so instead of 1 column with 6000 lines it ...

not repeating text boxes in reports with columns
Hello, I am trying to create a report with columns without repeating certain text boxes. Here is an example of what I would like to create: [Date] "Month1" [Date] "Month2" [Date] "Month3" [Product] "Product1": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product2": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product3": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product4": [q...

Changing Exch5.5 GAL columns in Outlook client view
Sorry if the subject line is a bit cryptic; anyway, in the Outlook client, if you display the 'Address Book' you get the following columns - name, business phone, office, title, company, alias, e-mail type, & e-mail address. How do you change it so you show the display name, business, extension, cell phone, & internet email address? Basically, how/where do you change the columnar data the client sees? Thanks, Mike Lawson Mike Goto View | Columns and there u can manage views... KJ "Mike Lawson" wrote: > Sorry if the subject line is a bit cryptic; anyway, i...

Excel CSV leaving out empty columns from row 17 onwards
Excel omitting commas in random ways !! Anyone come across this ? When I save this file in csv using excel 2003 A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z,AA A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,S,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-06,B,1,2,,3.5,BP,N,O,,,,,,,,,,,, A,,C,D,,21-Nov-06,27-Nov-...

Can anyone help with this chart?
I would like to have the following values/labels on the y and x axis of any style of chart: X-axis: July, August, September etc for a full financial year; Y-axis: FB, AP, DR, LA, PC. OR the other way around. Presently the Y-axis simply displays the labels 'Jan Jan Jan Jan Jan' etc. Thank you. Any help would be much appreciated. Check out Jon Peltier's article on creating a vertical category axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "A little stuck" wro...

MATCH function; comparing letter grades in columns
I am currently comparing the contents on two cells in columns H & I (for example, cells H10 and I10). The contents are letter grades (i.e., A, A-, B+, B, etc., through E). I have my function tell me if there is any difference between the two columns and report the result (i.e., =93no change,=94 rating decrease,=94 or =93rating increase=94) in th= e adjoining column, J10. I use the MATCH function, and since it can=92t distinguish between the letter grades, I have placed the letter grades in cells M2 through M13. My function is as follows: =3DIF(MATCH(H10,M$2:M$13,0)=3DMATCH(I10,M$2:M$1...