Changing the data label position below the chart axis.

I'm charting some percentages. Many of them are negatives, but not all. The Y
axis in my chart is more in the middle, instead of on the bottom, as with
normal charts that have all positive numbers. The data labels are overlapping
some of bars in the chart that are negatives. I can't get the data labels to
move any further south. I've already changed the 'data label distance from
axis' to the maximum of 1000. The data labels are still overlapping. Is there
anything else I can try? The chart looks terrible with the labels partially
on the negative bars, please help!
0
Laura (120)

Hi,

You question is a little confusing, mainly to do with the terminology.
The Y axis is normally the vertical value axis but I think you are
describing the X axis.
Also you mention data label but again I think you are referring to the axis
labels.

If my assumptions are correct this should help.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm charting some percentages. Many of them are negatives, but not all.
> The Y
> axis in my chart is more in the middle, instead of on the bottom, as with
> normal charts that have all positive numbers. The data labels are
> overlapping
> some of bars in the chart that are negatives. I can't get the data labels
> move any further south. I've already changed the 'data label distance from
> axis' to the maximum of 1000. The data labels are still overlapping. Is
> there
> anything else I can try? The chart looks terrible with the labels
> partially
> on the negative bars, please help!

0
andy9699 (3616)
6/11/2009 10:07:13 AM
Andy is right, I had the same problem and the data label distance does
not do the trick because it is not designed to do that.

In Excel 2007 Right click on the axis title (x axis) and you'll get
the Format axis menu.
Then you go to the axis option tab (first one from the top) and down
the bottom you have 3 drop down menus.
The last one is called Axis labels. Select 'Low" and you are done!

Mario

On Jun 11, 3:07=A0am, "Andy Pope" <a...@andypope.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You question is a little confusing, mainly to do with the terminology.
> The Yaxisis normally the vertical valueaxisbut I think you are
> describing the Xaxis.
> Also you mentiondatalabelbut again I think you are referring to theaxis
> labels.
>
> If my assumptions are correct this should help.http://www.andypope.info/t=
ips/tip002.htm

> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excelhttp://www.andypope.info"Laura" <La...@di=
scussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I'm charting some percentages. Many of them are negatives, but not all.
> > The Y
> >axisin mychartis more in the middle, instead of on the bottom, as with
> > normal charts that have all positive numbers. Thedatalabels are
> > overlapping
> > some of bars in thechartthat are negatives. I can't get thedatalabels
> > move any further south. I've already changed the 'datalabeldistance fro=
> >axis' to the maximum of 1000. Thedatalabels are still overlapping. Is
> > there
> > anything else I can try? Thechartlooks terrible with the labels
> > partially
> > on the negative bars, please help!

how to create 0 to 0 value charts
how can i create a chart that for the values that start say for example from 0 for a speed of 1000 and then revolve through different values of speed. these values values when plotted initially start from 0 for 1000 and reach a highest value at say 4000 and return back to 0 at 1000 speed. say that values if they look like these, 1000 0 1400 7 1500 680000 1800 0 2000 650000 2500 660000 3000 750000 3100 800000 3400 0 3500 0 3700 0 3800 0 4000 0 4300 0 4500 0 5000 0 5300 0 5500 0 5700 0 6000 0 6000 0 5700 0 5500 0 5300 0 5000 0 4500 0 4300 0 4000 0 3800 0 3700 0 3500 0 3400 0 3100 0 3000 8500...

Chart Display Bubble Size #2
Dear All, I am plotting some bubble charts in which the series are in the following form: ProductName, NumberParts,NumberVersions,TotalValue The series are being plotted as NumberParts in X axis, NumberVersions Y and TotalValue as the bubble size. I would like to display in my graph the value of the bubble size. Is there any way to do this ? From the different layouts available in excel 2007 I just have the possibility to print the X,Y labels (NumberParts , NumberVersions ) Thank you, Cheers, Hugo ...

Chart values do not update links to new worksheet
I have two worksheets, one with data and one with charts that plots the data, i.e. Charts and Data. I want to do a relative copy of both sheets so that all the links in Charts (2) update to the new Data (2). This is what I have do, Select both Sheets using <cntrl, right click> Right click on tab area, select 'move copy' Check copy, create copy This creates new sheets with xxxxx (2) as the name. The cell formulas all update to the new Data (2) worksheet as expected. But the charts in Charts (2) still reference the original Data worksheet. Is there a way to have the charts...

Passing data between view and dialog #2
Hi, I need help on the passing of data between a view and a dialog. My problem definition is as follows. I have a view class which is derived from the CView class.In this view class i have a list of bytes arranged in rows and columns.When i select a single byte or a group of bytes and select edit option it opens up a new dialog box.The new dialog box contains the same data as that of the view arranged in rows and columns.The problem is i want to highlight the selected items in the new dialog box that were selected in the view class. Can anybody help me on this. Regards Arun ...

Multiple Workbook Data Capture Summary Sheet
I have a number of workbooks with a sheet called "EST". These workbooks will all be stored in the same folder, and are named "052-336558", etc) all numbers. Cell B2 in each sheet has the same number as the file number. Several cells on these sheets need to be captured in a Summary. Cells are same reference on each sheet (ie Field Hours, Shop Hours, Cost, Etc.) I want the summary sheet to have a column reference that goes and looks for the file number and than grabs my data from those external sources. Any suggestions? You can record a macro in your summary file.....

data display being cut off
I recently developed a strange excel problem. unless I reduce the "adjust to X% of normal size" under "set-up" considerably, the data at the bottom of my excel worksheets gets cut off. the margins are sufficient, there is a ton of room on the page, and still the data cuts off. as proof that there's enough room on the page, when I adjust the top margin 'up or down it doesn't affect how much data is cut off. any thoughts? Have you changed printers or reinstalled your drivers recently? I have the same problem when I print to my desktop HP printer,...

Changing SQL sort order from binary to DOCI
Does anyone have any experience changing the SQL sort order from binary to DOCI (the standards SQL sort order)? Brian -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ This is a SQL Server issue. Basically, you will need to back up all your databases. Drop the existing databases. Reinstall SQL Server and select the new sort order. Restore your databases. There is a techknowledge article in CustomerSource/PartnerSource on moving data to a new server, which you will be doing, in effect. The biggest complexity is maintaining the logins, which the techknowle...

Changing the default template for the "new" icon
Hi, I'm using PPT 2000 and when I click on the "new" icon, the leftmost one, I get a new empty file based on one template. I'd like to choose another template as the default one. How can I accomplish this? Vicente Soler Try going the complete way instead of using the shortcut. File > new This should help you ;) "vsoler" <vicente.soler@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:58dc0117-1420-4f7f-b71e-0de03eee4a4c@e23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'm using PPT 2000 and when I click on the "new" icon, the...

Click Chart to go to data?
Is there a way to use VBA to allow the user to click a chart and have excel jump to the source data? Kind of like right-clicking and selecting sorce data, but instead, just jumping directly to the upper left cell of the source data... ...

How do I stop 5/6 changing to 5/6/05?
I am trying to type a school timetable in Excel and need to write 5/6, but it automatically changes to a date format when I type in the cell. How do I turn off this function? Type '5/6 -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/200507/1 many ways are possible - typing '5/6 as suggested: this means 5/6 is a text (not a date) this may be enought, but means you need to type a ' and you will not be abble to manipulate it as a date (maybe not needed) - formating the cells in a date-format (maybe without year): then the format will ...

Reverse Enginnering
Need to emulate a semi-complicated Excel chart. any way when looking at the existing chart to reverse look up its source of data? Chart menu: Source Data/ Series -- David Biddulph "LiCal" <lcheni@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f415de87-7c17-4adf-b954-94cfd9863f85@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > Need to emulate a semi-complicated Excel chart. > > any way when looking at the existing chart to reverse look up its > source of data? > Get GrabIt add-in for $ on the website http://www.datatrendsoftware.com/ best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel...

XY scatter and Bar chart
hi all, i am making a gantt chart, with stacked bar chart (using hidden series). x axis (bottom) is date, y axis (left) is task name (ie category axis). i have overlayed an xy scatter (i had an extra column giving the vertical coordinates for the scatter, 0.5 1.5 etc, y coordinates are dates) , which has worked fine when i had 4 categories. however, when i include all needed categories (28), the secondary y axis (right) disappears, and the scaling changes so that the vertical alignment of the xy points is misaligned. i have tried everything to show the secondary y axis so i can change scale...

Changing the color of a group folder
In Outlook 2003 when you create a New Folder, can you change the color of that folder? Also, can you change what it looks like? I maybe over looking something that is so easy to do. Thanks You can't use colors on folders....but I'm not sure what you mean by changing what it looks like. What is it you're trying to do? Howard wrote: > In Outlook 2003 when you create a New Folder, can you change the > color of that folder? Also, can you change what it looks like? I > maybe over looking something that is so easy to do. > > Thanks ...

Change normal letters in to Capitals
Hi, I would like to automatically change the City field data into capitals. Does anyone has an idea how to do such a thing? Regards, Dirk F Put the following script in the OnChange event of the address1_city field: crmForm.all.address1_city.DataValue = crmForm.all.address1_city.DataValue.toUpperCase(); -- Michael http://www.stunnware.com/crm ---------------------------------------------------------- <dirkfraanje@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1151308650.255958.119710@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I would like to automatically change the City fie...

Data on different server
I'm quickly running out of disk space for Ex 5.5 data and will be unable to move to a different server quickly or increase drive space on this one. I do have room on another drive, on a different server, but it cannot run Exchange itself (conflict with existing app). But can I move just the data to that different server's drive (mapping a drive letter)?? Obviously, both servers will need to stay up - but any other reasons why not? You can't store your databases/logs on a mapped drive. Get more disks for your existing server and then run the Performance Optimizer to move...

Macro does not run when data refreshed
I set up a worksheet at work that queries our lab information system for incomplete high priority orders. The results of the query are display in order by age, oldest to newest. The Data Range Properties is set to refresh the data every 2 minutes and overwrite existing cells with new data and clear unused cells. After new data is imported there is a Visual Basic macro that compares the time of each order to the current PC time and changes the color of the text from green to yellow to red as the order ages. All of the works great. I've recently duplicated this worksheet at a secon...

Data Val list Excel 97 fire macro
I have a column of cells which uses a data val list for entering data. The val list is dynamic and resides on the wks. When a user selects from the val list in a particular cell I would like a macro triggered which will place the date and time in the cell directly to the right (ie one column over, same row). I need help in how to trigger the macro because Excel 97 events are not fired from data entered using a val list residing on the wks. Thanks Richard -- rgarber50 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rgarber50's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

Excel worksheets show no data, only colors
My excel worksheets show columns of various colors, with no data. When i put the indicator over a cell the data is in the forumla bar. Also, when I do a print screen all of the data is there formatted normally. What's going on? Please reply quickly. Could be that the font and background colors are set the same... In article <998601c3ea78$0f649150$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Conko" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My excel worksheets show columns of various colors, with > no data. When i put the indicator over a cell the data is > in the foru...

Need help using data from multiple worksheets to create a Summary report
I hope someone can help me I have just started with a reasonably large homeless organisation where they collect large amounts of statistical data using excell. There are 25 induvidual services hence 25 induvidual data sets. Each set essentially contains the 1. a referral worksheet - name date etc (Monthly Tally of referals) 2. an induvidual stats sheet a variety of data (for each referal that becomes a client) 3. an occupancy stats sheet (Like a tally sheet 1 counts for each day + a Bfwd and Cfwd column) 4. a monthly summary report (combines data from all) Whilst a Database comes to mind a...

Giving label merge document to someone else?
I created this nifty little program that uses an excel spreadsheet and a Word document with label merge to print out drawing cards for my chess club. It will soon be time to move on and I'd like to hand this over to the lady that will continue the chess club after me. Now how can I give her the document and the spreadsheet so that she can manage the club? In my computer both htese files are in the same folder. If I just send her the two files and she puts them in the same folder, sill it continue to work? Thanks. Probably that will work, but without seeing the underlying...

PUBLISHER
I do extremely complicated pages in publisher, with many overlaid boxes and wordart etc, so it is easy to select more than one thing and not notice when not in a smaller zoom - I get fed up with accidenty selecting and moving items with others. Certain boxes or pictures I want to FIX to a place on the page so nothing moves them after I've spent ages adjusting something to the centre etc. Also, there should be MARKERS on the page in dotted lined, showing where the centre is to place your object or text box , and various other marker points on the page, to make it easy to produce a sy...

Change "dialog" box size?
In Outlook 2002, when I click the "To:" line to add addresses to the message, the "Select Names" dialog box which appears is very small. I'm sure it's the default size, but the pick list of names and email addresses is so truncated horizontally that it is impossible to see all the fields easily. The horizontal scrollbar is a pain! Can this box be resized? Nope. However it can be resized in Outlook 2003. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroup...

Chart frequency of date/time value...?
This is probably simple but frankly, Excel and math are not my strong points and never were so please, I need some help. I have just one column that contains date/time values down the the second, i.e.: 11/6/2004 12:00:10AM 11/6/2004 12:00:24AM 11/6/2004 12:00:27AM I need to group this data somehow into ten or fiteen minute intervals and bar-graph the number of rows tallied per interval. Any help greatly appreciated! If anyone cares, btw, the data is actually from a firewall log and I need to determine traffic trends through the day(s). Thanks, -B Joe - This is a histogram. There are so...

charts with date...
Had a question in training today... I have a chart as a separate worksheet. When I print this chart, I want to see the date it was printed ON THE CHART. How do I put the system date (something like =today()...) on the chart itself so that it updates to the current date for printing, etc.? preview the chart for printing use SETUP | HEADER/FOOTER use CUSTOM HEADER (or FOOTER) option to include date is available. >-----Original Message----- >Had a question in training today... > >I have a chart as a separate worksheet. When I print this >chart, I want to see the date it w...

Copying Profiles / changing default location
Is there a way to copy the Outlook profiles I have created on one machine to another machine? Basically: I have a lab of computers in which I'll be training a group of people. I want to set up all of their profiles on one machine, and copy it to the rest of them so that they can pick their name when the log onto Outlook XP. I am using Exchange 2000. The users will be logging onto machines that have Novell and Windows XP Pro. The Windows user name will be a generic one that is on all machines (they don't authenticate to the domain at the time of login, and we do not use roaming pr...