Change y-axis to category in a column chart

I am making charts for data that we took at the school where I
teach. We polled seven grades in six different strands of questions.
Their replies were 'Always', 'Frequently', 'Occasionally', and
'Never'. We translated these into 4, 3, 2, & 1 to get averages. I
have a chart that shows the 42 averages as columns grouped by grades
and a chart that shows the 42 averages grouped by strand. I'd like
my column chart y-axis to show the words instead of 4, 3, 2, 1.

I have read a little about dummy series and I don't understand it
yet, but it seems to apply to an X-Y scatter rather than to my
situation. Is my wish a possibility?

I'm using 2003 and XP Professional.

Thank You.
0
benhill (2)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ben Hill <benhill@triad.rr.com> said:
>I'd like my column chart y-axis to show the words instead of 4, 3, 2, 1
>
>I have read a little about dummy series and I don't understand it
>yet, but it seems to apply to an X-Y scatter rather than to my
>situation. Is my wish a possibility?

That's okay, because "chart type" isn't something you're forced to have
all the same. It can be different for every series. You simply add that
dummy series (which will look like another column series at first, but
don't worry!) and then change it to an XY series.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
> I am making charts for data that we took at the school where I
> teach. We polled seven grades in six different strands of questions.
> Their replies were 'Always', 'Frequently', 'Occasionally', and
> 'Never'. We translated these into 4, 3, 2, & 1 to get averages. I
> have a chart that shows the 42 averages as columns grouped by grades
> and a chart that shows the 42 averages grouped by strand. I'd like
> my column chart y-axis to show the words instead of 4, 3, 2, 1.
>
> I have read a little about dummy series and I don't understand it
> yet, but it seems to apply to an X-Y scatter rather than to my
> situation. Is my wish a possibility?
>
> I'm using 2003 and XP Professional.
>
> Thank You.

Jon Peltier has an example on his web site that you should be able to
adapt to your use.  I don't have a direct link to the page but search
www.peltiertech.com
Del Cotter <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Ben Hill <benhill@triad.rr.com> said:
>>I'd like my column chart y-axis to show the words instead of 4, 3,
2,
>>1
>>
>>I have read a little about dummy series and I don't understand it
>>yet, but it seems to apply to an X-Y scatter rather than to my
>>situation. Is my wish a possibility?
>
> That's okay, because "chart type" isn't something you're forced to
> have all the same. It can be different for every series. You
simply
> add that dummy series (which will look like another column series
at
> first, but don't worry!) and then change it to an XY series.

Thanks. It did work. I don't know how yet, but I works. I'll keep
playing with it.

0
benhill (2)

copying workbooks with charts and changing data
As I've got to process several data of same kind, I create several copies of one workbook (1) that contains several charts When I use a copy of workbook 1 (2) with new values, the charts always refers to data in (1)...how can I do to use the values of (2)....?? How are you copying the original chart? If the chart is in the same workbook as the data, you should have no problem if you do Save As with the entire workbook, or if you make a copy of the file in Windows Explorer. When you start copying charts separately from copying their data, the charts always point to the data you don&#...

Pie Chart
Hi, I work for a Diagnostic Center and we have a spreadsheet of the numbe of referrals recieved from each doctor for each month, and I am trying t make a pie chart showing the percentage of referrals from each doctor However, there are about 85 doctors who referred to our facility last month, but man of them only referred 1-2 patients, which is less than 1% of our tota business. What I want to do is make the pie chart show an individual slice for those wh referred more than say, 5 patients, and all those who referred less show under single slice labelled "OTHER". Also, I n...

How do I change the default number format in Excel?
I want to know if it is possible to select a different default number format in Excel 2003 so that it will apply automatically when I open a new workbook. Create a new workbook. Change the normal style to what you want. format|style|select normal|click modify change the number format Save this file as book.xlt in your XLStart folder. Excel will use that template file for any new workbook. Be aware that dates are numbers, too and you'll be affecting those. I don't think I'd do this. DJMLLC wrote: > > I want to know if it is possible to select a different default num...

Row Height or Column Width not Showing
When I left click on the row it use to give me the row height and now for some reason I can't see that anymore. I have to right click and select the row height to see the size. I already put the CD in and ran the repair on it and that didn't work. Any ideas onwhat to try? Do not click on just the row header. Hover the cursor at the line between two row headers and you will see a two-headed arrow like a cross. Click on that. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:26:01 -0700, Brian <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I left click ...

Unable to change logo object in personal information dialog
I am not able to edit the exisiting saved logo object that I had previously saved in the personal information dialog, or even add a default logo to any new perrsonal information sets. Any reason why this add/edit logo in the personal information set is disabled? Which version of Pub are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Mark McD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10fc701c4411c$ba3ac540$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am not able to edit the exisiting saved logo object > that I had previously saved in the personal informat...

Cannot change a formula
I am using a worksheet that counts the number of days employees have worked. The worksheet was written by someone else who have left. I need to change the number of some rows in this formula. =COUNTIF(D$14:D$160,$V32)+COUNTIF(D$175:D$225,$V31)+M250+M238 M250 and M238 are the results of another countif formula. When I try and change the number of the rows to M251 and M 239 the formula no longer returns a value and I see the formula in the cell on the worksheet. Also the different values of the rows and columns become colored. How can I change the formula so it returns the value its su...

Can default "collate" option be changed?
Hi, By default, in every Office-application, the print-option "collate" is checked. Is there any way to permanently change this to unchecked (maybe with regedit)? Thanks. Fred Commissaris. ...

Column multiplied by a matrix
Hello Can anyone tell me how to multiply all the numbers in a column by all the numbers in a matrix? eg Column of numbers in A, multiplied by matrix of numbers in C1:E3 A B C D E 1 3 6 7 8 2 4 7 8 9 3 5 6 8 9 So I would like a formula which SUMS 3*6 + 3*7 + 3*8 + 4*7+4*8+4*9 + 5*6 + 5*8 + 5*9 thanks S Can this be done without creating a second matrix with column A spread out? =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3*B1:D3) give 274 with your data - as required NOTE that =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3,B1:D3) will give #V...

Can Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Yes, of course. B1 contains this formula: =IF(A1=1,5,6) On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:03:02 -0800, "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Example: > >If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 >should be 6. > >A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? ...

How populate multi-column Listbox control?
Ok, I'm back with more questions about the Listbox control. The help documention is not very helpful, so I gotta keep asking here, haha. Anyways, my listbox control is set to have 3 columns, but I just can't figure out how to put data into any column except column 1. How the heck can I put data in columns 2 or 3??? BTW, I tried the following code which I found through Google, but it doesn't work: ListBox1.AddItem "here is some text" ListBox1.List(1, 1) = "more data" ListBox1.List(1, 2) = "even more data" Please help. t...

Can I change the folder squence?
Hi All, If I create below folders: 1st folder a folder b folder c foder Then in outlook 2003, the order will be that, so can I change the squence? maybe as: b folder 1st folder c folder a folder Thanks for your help. -- Yours, Lv You can do that with folders you make. You cannot rename the standard set of Outlook folders (Inbox, Outbox, Calendar, Notes etc) Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Trainer and Consultant There are various articles about using Outlook here: www.judygleeson.com Canberra, Australia "Lv" <rebelmouse@163.com> wrote in message news:65700158-EA...

Just want to Change color of Font??
Version: 2008 I am used to using a PC and this is my first Mac- I am not used to this version of word. I would like to do simple things like change the color of the font or make the font bold or underlined but I don't know where to go for those options. There are tables and columns and other elaborate applications but I would just simply like the basics. So, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be tremendous! View Menu > Toolbars> click on Edit. Edit Toolbar comes up gives you all kinds of formatting tools including Font color, back Ground Color , Bold, ...

Not allowing duplicates to be entered in a column
I am trying to ensure that users entering data into an Excel workshee only enter unique values in a particular column (values provide earlier in the column cannot be duplicated). Does anyone know a effective way to approach this requirement -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm In article <blstamps.156mte@excelforum-nospam.com>, blstamps <<blstamps.156mte@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > I am trying to ensure that users entering data into an Excel worksheet > only enter unique values in a particul...

FRX Error Message "The Fiscal Year Row Must be Provided for GL Columns"
Help! What does this error message mean? How do you fix it? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks. Sounds like the Fiscal Year cell in one of your Column Layouts is not filled in properly. -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Catbird" <pork@xsite.net> wrote in message news:1140738782.827093.164780@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Help! > > What does this error message mean? How do you fix it? > > Any advice will be helpful. > > Thanks. > ...

Copy Color Formats Based On Column Date Values
I currently have this code, where HMLoc is the starting point for a color paste at C6. Instead of having this a constant field, I need it to search for today's date in the cell above it (C5) (The dates are given in the range C5:BO5), and then color accordingly. I have struggled with this all morning and can't get it to work the way I want it. Please help me! Option Explicit Const LegendLoc = "BH3" Const HMLoc = "C6" Const None = 0 Sub ColorHM() Dim theRow As Integer Dim theCol As Integer Dim NumX As Single Dim Color1 As Integer Dim Color2 As Integer Dim Color3 A...

Track changes #7
Where is the person who made changes to a shared workbook derived from? If I logon via one machine it gives my full name in the track changes history. If I logon from another machine, it gives my first initial and last name. I would like to know why it is different and where the identifier comes from. On the two systems, do you have different profile details? I believe TC is shown as the name from Tools, Options, User Name. R. Rainone Wrote: > Where is the person who made changes to a shared workbook derived from? > If I > logon via one machine it gives my full name in ...

Unbind Charts From Data?
I've got an Excel book with two tabs - one tab with a bunch of data and one tab with 6 charts based on that data. I want to export the tab with the charts into a new Excel book, but I basically want the charts to be "snapshots" - not dependant on the source data. Is there any way to do this? -- Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now! Jon Peltier has instructions for delinking chart data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html MDW wrote: > I've got an Excel book with two tabs - one tab with a bunch of data and one > tab wit...

Changing Sent Items mailbox.
Is there any way to save sent messages to a mailbox other than Sent Items? When using IMAP, if you need to keep copies, you can run out of space on the server. Is there a way to save these to a set of private folders? ...

Help Programming an XY scatter Chart
I have a user form that inputs data onto a spreadsheet. I have a command button that runs a macro that activates the sheet, selects the data, and creates the XY Scatter chart. My Problem is that I don't know how to set a loop to set each series' properties . (The number of series changes every time) Bellow is an example where I manually set the properties for three of the series. Any Ideas on how to create a loop to set all. Range("A:A,C:C,D:D").Select Range("D1").Activate Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatter ActiveChart.SetSourceData Sour...

Changing numbers
I have about 5000 product code entries, but they all need changing, want to get rid of the last two digits: e.g 01234500 to 012345 Is there a way to do this for all the entries quickly -- cj2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cj21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2567 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39123 If all numbers are the same number of chaacters you could use th following formula to get rid of the 0's If 01234500 is in cell A1 then in cell B1 enter =MID...

Adding Title to Secondary Axis Office 2003
I am working on a chart with a secondary axis. Can you please tell me how to put a title on the secondary axis? Thank you in advance for your help. Hi, Once you have data on a secondary axis you can use, Right click chart > Chart Options > Titles. Enter text in appropriate box. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "C Kreig" <CKreig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A92A685C-9E39-4F88-9F67-5038B0289ADE@microsoft.com... >I am working on a chart with a secondary axis. Can you please tell me how >to > put ...

Changing signatures
Is there a quick way to switch between several signatures on-the-fly? Outlook 2002, Exchange Srvr 5.5. Thanx for your help, Garrett Forest Home, Inc. ...

X AXIS ON CHARTS
CAN I SET MINOR UNIT ON X AXIS AS .5 DAYS? IF YES. HOW? Format Axis/ Scale/ Minor Unit: 0.5 And please fix that broken Caps Lock key so that you can stop violating netiquette by SHOUTING. -- David Biddulph "NIRAV VYAS" <NIRAV VYAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B077E5-EEDA-4626-8AE0-ABA2CBFA830C@microsoft.com... > CAN I SET MINOR UNIT ON X AXIS AS .5 DAYS? IF YES. HOW? If this is a true time scale X-axis that won't work. The smallest unit is 1 "day". Otherwise it is just as David describes. -- Thanks, Christopher This posting is ...

change IIS port 80 to 81
Hello i have on the same server IIS and Exchange. When i move IIS to port 81 & 443 ...OMA and ActiveSync OTA don't work anymore. As soon as, i move back to port 80 eveything is fine. Is there a registry trick or something else to have IIS on port 81/443 and OMA ASOTA working ? TY How about adding a second IP address to the server and let each web site stay on port 80, but use different IP addresses? "Stan" <kikistan[nospam**]@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23SzVGeLLGHA.2628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello > > i have on the same server IIS and...

Change records
Hello: I have some data in the following format: LA A B C D .... Is there any easy way to change the format into: LA A B C D Thanks in advance! > I have some data in the following format: > LA > A > B > C > D > ... > Is there any easy way to change the format into: > LA A B C D 1. Select the data. 2. Use "Edit >> Copy" 3. Select an empty cell someplace where you want the result to start. 4. Use "Edit >> Past special" and choose "Transpose" 5. Click "OK" Thanks for your quick response! "Jay" wrote...