Change XY tick labels from numeric to text

Hi all.
Hope you can help.
I am exploring a huge dataset of data by U.S. zip codes.
Each row is a zip code, the state the zip belongs to, the state number,
and a count of widgets.
91234   AK    2      0.123
91872   AK    2      0.234
91232   AK    2      0.345
26271   AZ    3      0.111
23111   AZ    3      0.222

Although this might sound strange, I am graphing the entire dataset as
an XY scatter plot --- with the state number as the x values and the
widgets as the y-values.  The resultant plot shows the distribution of
widgets for each state very quickly and easily and all on one graph.

I'd like to replace the tick mark labels on the x-axis from state
numbers (2,3,4, etc) to state abbreviations (AK,AZ,CA).

I know that I can create text boxes that contain the abbreviations and
place them manually below the tick mark --- but when I graph some other
variable the size of the graph changes slightly and the text boxes no
longer line up with the original tick mark labels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-jennifer

Hi,

Have a look at Jon Peltier's page on arbitary axis scale. The same
principle can be applied to the x axis.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

-jennifer

Help
I need to separate the number from the right of a text string into its own cell. For example in the data: "Salaries - Aides / Assistants 3708" "Classroom Stationery & Materials 21" I want to return 3708 and 21 as the value of the formula. Note that there are spaces and the numbers are not of fixed length. Does anybody know a formula I can write to extract this floating numeric string which is not a fixed length and at the right of the text string. What this means is that I need to find the position from where the nu...

Email on Sales Stage change
I would like to send an email when an opportunity changes sales stages. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Loreeta Sorry my mistake, just noticed the Activity button activated. Loreeta "MattNC" wrote: > You can program a Sales Process type workflow. Log in to your CRM server and > open the Workflow Manager. Select the Opportunity entity and on the top right > next to View: select Sales Process, then click the new button back on the > left side. > -- > Matt Wittemann > http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com > > > "Loreeta" wrote: > > &...

Formula Changed
I had this formula in a cell: =SUMPRODUCT((E23:E2500)*(F23:F2500=9)*(G23:G2500=6.5)) It did work fine. The E column represents time in the 13:30 format, so 27 minutes or 1:27, etc. I had to change the formula for calculating time in the E column so it would calculate hours that went past midnight. When I did that the above formula now returns a #Value! error. However, the formula does work where there are no blank rows in my data! This is the formula in my time calculation column: =IF(D213="","",D213-C213+(D213<C213)) I'm lost on this one. I'd try: =SU...

Print format changes when saving as a PDF
Not sure if this is a Publisher question or Adobe question but I have made several flyers in Publisher and when I save them to PDF, the page setup modifications go back to default. Any ideas? What do you mean *back to default*? Are you using a template? You might save the file first and then convert. What version Publisher? Are you using Acrobat? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Joey" <Joey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18CF932A-A885-40AA-9876-7AA84F86C436@microsoft.com... > N...

Changing tooltip text
Hi all, I have a standard toolbar in my application, with tooltips created in the normal way (i.e. string resource with "Status prompt\ntooltip"). The question is, how can I change the text of the tooltips at runtime? Cheers mark-r -- I put ten different puns in my .sig I hoped that at least one of them would make you laugh No pun in ten did Mark Robinson wrote: > The question is, how can I change the text of the tooltips at runtime? Found the solution on CodeGuru! Cheers mark-r -- I put ten different puns in my .sig I hoped that at least one of them would make you la...

text in a cell in a numeric formula
Hi, If I'm adding say 4 cells, and one cell has text in it, is there a way to disregard the text and get the numeric total? I get a #value! error now. I can't ignore the cell because sometimes there are numbers in it. I could use shading, but I really need a text designator in the cell. Any way to do this would be appreciated. Thanks, --Randy Starkey Use the SUM function: A1 = 1 A2 = text A3 = 1 A4 = 1 =A1+A2+A3+A4 returns #VALUE! =SUM(A1:A4) returns 3 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Randy Starkey" <randy.starkeyNOSPAM@NOSPAMvictorychurch.com> wrote in m...

Text dragging in CRichEditCtrl
Hi, I've got a class derived from CRichEditCtrl where I'm trying to write a complex undo mechanism. However I'm stuck with a case when a user selectes a piece of text and drags it to other location within the control. Can anyone tell me how to track a moment when dragging of a text begins and ends? I've tried to use OnMouseMove and OnLButtonUp/Down but I found it difficult to distinguish between dragging and selecting text. Any help appreciated! thanks, regards, Ips ...

Green Tick Marks
How do you turn the green ticks marks off so you don't know cells contain a formula. Does everyone know what I'm talking about? From Microsoft's website: "For more information about error types and how to correct them, click Microsoft Excel Help on the Help menu, type 'find and correct errors in formulas' in the Search for box in the Assistance pane, and then click Start searching to view the topic." HTH Jason Atlanta, GA "DNA" wrote: > How do you turn the green ticks marks off so you don't know cells contain a > formula. Does everyo...

when the size of view change,how can I also change size of the font,chart in this view
all: I want to change the size of font and chart go with the view's size changing. what can I do . thx for anyone respone. &best regards. terrcy.j terrcy wrote: > all: > > I want to change the size of font and chart go with the view's size > changing. > > what can I do . > > > thx for anyone respone. > > &best regards. > > terrcy.j > > Handle the WM_SIZE message in the view. It is passed the new size. To change the font you will have to call the CFont's DeleteOjbect, then cal...

conditionally changing colors in a cell
i am trying to change the background color of a cell when a cell example STOP RED SLOW YELLOW GO GREEN STOP =VLOOKUP(A5,LIGHT,2,FALSE) this is my basic stop light when stop is typed into cell a5 i want b5 to change to red, same for slow and go. do i have to use vba? or can this be done as a function? Since you only have 3 condiotns, conditional formatting will work fine .... Format Conditional Formatting Cell Value Is Equal To "Stop" pick red background ... Then Add your two next conditions and colors ... HTH Carim -- Carim ------------------------------------------------...

Clear Unbound Text box used as input parameter to query
I've looked at everything I can find, tried all the suggestions but still can't get this to work. I have a form that opens blank. You input your parameter into an unbound text box then press a command button that performs a requery of the database and returns the results in a continuous form. When the results are returned, the parameter is listed as part of the detail in the form so I want the parameter box to be cleared out and ready for the next one. My command on the Search button looks like this: Private Sub SearchEPICode_Click() Me.Requery End Sub ...

How can I change bg color in SDI?
Hi all.. How can I change bg color in SDI? I know that I can do it by handling WM_ERASEBKGND message My code look like this BOOL CSomthingView::OnEraseBkgnd(CDC* pDC) { CBrush br(RGB(127,127,127)); CRect rc; GetClientRect(&rc); pDC->FillSolidRect(&rc,&br); .... .... return TRUE; } But when this code is called.. Windows fliker.. How can I change that code..? What I thought is that I can do it by changing WNDCLASS's hbrBackground But I have no idea how to do it? Is there better way to do it? "EunSub,Kim" <imkimes@verizon.net> wrote > Hi all.. >...

How to change default appointment start and/or end times?
When I double click on a date while in month view in order to create a new appointment, the window pops up with the "All day event" box checked. I almost never schedule all day events, so I almost always have to first un-check this box, then enter the correct start time for the event. How can I set the default so the All day event box is UNchecked and the Start Time (and End Time if possible) is set to a time of my choosing? "Rodd Hall" <RoddHall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C635D22-A809-4290-A783-4E83C625573B@microsoft.com... >...

Change the root tag name when serializing ICollection class
I posted this in C# group and just found this spot. I created a class that implements ICollection. After serializing got following result: <?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-16\"> <ArrayOfCustomer> <Customer> <FirstName>John</FirstName> <LastName>Johnson</LastName> </Customer> <Customer> <FirstName>Jack</FirstName> <LastName>Jackson</LastName> </Customer> </ArrayOfCustomer> I don't like the <ArrayOfCustomer> tag. I WANT i...

Change the formatting of row by select a single cell & Editing should be working #2
Hi All; I require such a sheet code which can help me in Changing the formatting of row (like A1:A25) of selected cell (A4 is Selected) and allow me to use editing (Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo etc). Currently I'm Using following code but this does not allow me to use editing (Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo etc) and I can not decide the range for working this sheet code. Any kind help is appreciated. Private Sub Search_Click() Sheets("Quick Search").Visible = True ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.Visible = False Sheets("Quick Search").Select End Sub Private Sub Workshe...

2007 has a fit each time i want to hyperlink text
Hello, I have a project where i need to add many links to a document, however each time i select text and click the "linking" button, Publisher has a fit for around 40 seconds then I am able to add a link. I cant find any "product service pack updates" for publisher 2007, just for office (which i will see now if that will update publisher (as i only have publisher 2007, not office. When i say has a fit, it freezes up with 99% CPU useage, then after 40 seconds or so springs back into life, I have maybe 1000 links to add to my document and cant have publi...

changing data across all worksheets
I asked this question before, sort of, but here is a different way to put it. I have an address list that is rather large and I want to do several worksheets, with the first being the complete list and the rest being sorted and hiding some rows, such as duplicate entries. I want to be able to make changes on the first worksheet and have them automatically carry over to the rest of the worksheets, such as when someone sells their property and the name needs to be changed. Currently I make the changes individually but that is getting too time consuming anymore. Does anyone have any ideas, or sh...

Auto change Caption on Command Bar via formula
Is it possible to have the caption on a Forms.CommandButton change according to a value in a cell? Rob something like this: With Worksheets("Sheet1") .Buttons("button 1").Caption = .Range("a1").Value '.Text??? End With rob nobel wrote: > > Is it possible to have the caption on a Forms.CommandButton change according > to a value in a cell? > Rob -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Hi Dave, Thanks for this but I can't get it to work. What I've tried is... Private Sub Button1_Click() With Worksheets("Sheet1"...

unable to read plain text messages in outlook 2003
I have several friends that send me emails in plain text format and I am unable to read them. What can I do? On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:54:53 -0700, Rayo <Rayo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have several friends that send me emails in plain text format and I am >unable to read them. What can I do? Umm.. Can you provide any detailed information, like what they look like (ie what DO you see?) what version of Outlook, etc? -- To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address. How do you know that they are plain text if you can't rea...

Change form size
I’m having a hard time naming what it is that I want to do so hopefully this will make sense. I have a form that has a logo and two command buttons that take the user to two different forms. I learned how to get this form to open automatically when I open the database but I want it to appear as a box in the center and not full screen in the upper left hand corner. How can I do this...is it in the Properties??? I changed several properties but it's still full screen and not centered. Thanks for any help or suggestions. AccessKay - You might have code in place to ma...

Change NameSpace Value on Selected Node
I have an XML document that is generated from Infopath, I need to change the value of a namespace that is defined in a node in the form: <xsf:xDocumentClass "xmlns:my=valuehere">. when i navigate to the namespace value it is read only and cannot be changed. Can anyone tell me how to change this value? My Code: Dim sSingleNode As XmlNode = objDoc.SelectSingleNode("//xsf:Node", NamespaceManager) Dim nav As XPathNavigator Dim docNav As XPathDocument docNav = New XPathDocument(sFile) nav = docNav.CreateNavigator nav.MoveToRoot() nav.MoveToFirstChild() nav.M...

identifying text boxes
Hi all, I was asked to help with this problem and I am struggling to find a quick way to do it. I need to retrieve the name of all text boxes in a spreadsheet in the same order they appear from top to bottom. I have around 10 worksheets each with 12 - 20 text boxes... Thanks in advance. PA You didn't say where to display the ordered names at, so I simply added a new worksheet at the end of your list and listed them there (along with the worksheet Name they are on, the TextBox's Top value on that sheet, and the sheet's Index value which was used during the sor...

How to create graphs in a monthly report where the base data can change
Firstly an apology if this has been asked for before, I have looked through but am unable to find anything matching my request. Each month I have to produce a report from our business system. Primarily the report consists of many graphs. I have created a report already that each chart references an individual spreadsheet but the downloading from the business system takes a couple of hours as each data set has to be individually compiled and downloaded. It is possible to download all the data in one go, but I am not sure how I go about then linking the data to each graph. Typically the indivi...

merged cells and wrapping text
I have merged a few adjacent cells in a row, then asked Excel to wrap the text with the merged cell. It refuses. I was originally trying to do this in code, but I now find that it can't be done even when I try and do it manually. (Using Office XP) Anyone know a work-around? cheers Rod Try the following code: Sub alpha() With Range("a1:b4") .HorizontalAlignment = xlGeneral .VerticalAlignment = xlTop .WrapText = True .MergeCells = True End With End Sub Regards, Alasdair Stirling "Rod" wrote: > I have merged a few ad...

IMAP Pull converting to Plain Text
I have Exchange 2003 mailbox doing an IMAP4 pull from an Exchange 5.5 mailbox.. All emails, whatever their original format (HTML, RTF) are pulled as Plain Text. Some binary files such as pdf files will also come across as corrupted. It is not a client issue as the problem will also occur in OWA. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks, Nadim. "Nadim Al-Ghazzawi" <nadim@nospam.net> wrote in message news:cp6ue9$jcb$1@sparta.btinternet.com... >I have Exchange 2003 mailbox doing an IMAP4 pull from an Exchange 5.5 > mailbox.. > All emails, whatever their original for...