change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text

I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data
for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer,
rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.)  If I want to look at the age of new
homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer.
 After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer
18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc.  It's pretty self-explanatory that these
are all "new homebuyers".  I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown
in the legend, but I can't change this in the source spreadsheet or pivot
table because I need to continue using these to create more charts.  I JUST
WANT TO CLICK ON THE LEGEND AND BE ABLE TO MANUALLY EDIT THAT TEXT THAT IS IN
THE LEGEND WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE SOURCE DATA.
0
msp (6)

I don't think its possible. I know you stated you didn't want to change your
source data, but would it be possible to have 2 columns, 1 of them being
status (new homebuyer, foreclosed, etc.) and the other being age? Then you
could make a graph with status being a page field, and age being the series.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"msp" wrote:

> I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data
> for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer,
> rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.)  If I want to look at the age of new
> homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer.
>  After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer
> 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc.  It's pretty self-explanatory that these
> are all "new homebuyers".  I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown
> in the legend, but I can't change this in the source spreadsheet or pivot
> table because I need to continue using these to create more charts.  I JUST
> WANT TO CLICK ON THE LEGEND AND BE ABLE TO MANUALLY EDIT THAT TEXT THAT IS IN
> THE LEGEND WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE SOURCE DATA.
0
LukeM (202)
12/17/2008 5:46:01 PM
Depending on how much your chart data changes when you pivot the table, you
may be able to use a regular chart. This loses the pivoting but regains the
flexibility of a regular chart. Here's a tutorial:

peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/13/regular-charts-from-pivot-tables/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"msp" <msp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data
> for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new
> homebuyer,
> rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.)  If I want to look at the age of new
> homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new
> homebuyer.
> After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer
> 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc.  It's pretty self-explanatory that
> these
> are all "new homebuyers".  I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be
> shown
> in the legend, but I can't change this in the source spreadsheet or pivot
> table because I need to continue using these to create more charts.  I
> JUST
> WANT TO CLICK ON THE LEGEND AND BE ABLE TO MANUALLY EDIT THAT TEXT THAT IS
> IN
> THE LEGEND WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE SOURCE DATA.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How to select series in chart?

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2