change exist chart to be dynamic

Hi all
 How can I  change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a  name
in y axis only but no name of x axis.  How can I create a series for x axis?
Thanks in advance
Daniel
0
Daniel1 (174)

You need to understand how dynamic charts work. There are tutorials and
links to more on this page:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> How can I  change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a  name
> in y axis only but no name of x axis.  How can I create a series for x
> axis?
> Thanks in advance
> Daniel

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/6/2007 7:13:53 PM
Hi Daniel,

It's not clear what exactly you want to do - there are many types of dynamic
chart.  Also your solution is version dependent - what version are you
using.  There are a lot of hard ways to do this, but there is also a very
elegant and easy way to handle it, depending on what you are actually trying
to do.  For example there is not need for dynamic range names in some cases.

Please give us more info.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> How can I  change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a  name
> in y axis only but no name of x axis.  How can I create a series for x
> axis?
> Thanks in advance
> Daniel

Hi Shane
  I have an existing excel chart and I need to change it be dynamic which is
the chart will automatically expand and continue to graph.  I 've just learn
that the chart need to define names and add offset, counta functions.  But
that is the hard way and I want to learn the easy way.  I heard I can change
the series but do not clear about it. Thanks in advance
Daniel

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> It's not clear what exactly you want to do - there are many types of dynamic
> chart.  Also your solution is version dependent - what version are you
> using.  There are a lot of hard ways to do this, but there is also a very
> elegant and easy way to handle it, depending on what you are actually trying
> to do.  For example there is not need for dynamic range names in some cases.
>
> Please give us more info.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>
> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > How can I  change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a  name
> > in y axis only but no name of x axis.  How can I create a series for x
> > axis?
> > Thanks in advance
> > Daniel

0
Daniel1 (174)
6/7/2007 8:25:01 PM
If you're using Excel 2003, define the data range as a list (Data menu) and
as the list changes size, any formulas referencing the list (including the
chart SERIES formula) will update to include the entire length of the list.
If you're using Excel 2007, define the range as a Table, and it will behave
like an Excel 2003 List.

If you're using Excel 2002 or earlier, the dynamic approach using dynamic
names is in fact the easy way.

- Jon
-------

> Hi Shane
>  I have an existing excel chart and I need to change it be dynamic which
> is
> the chart will automatically expand and continue to graph.  I 've just
> learn
> that the chart need to define names and add offset, counta functions.  But
> that is the hard way and I want to learn the easy way.  I heard I can
> change
> the series but do not clear about it. Thanks in advance
> Daniel
>
> "Shane Devenshire" wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> It's not clear what exactly you want to do - there are many types of
>> dynamic
>> chart.  Also your solution is version dependent - what version are you
>> using.  There are a lot of hard ways to do this, but there is also a very
>> elegant and easy way to handle it, depending on what you are actually
>> trying
>> to do.  For example there is not need for dynamic range names in some
>> cases.
>>
>> Please give us more info.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>
>> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all
>> > How can I  change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a
>> > name
>> > in y axis only but no name of x axis.  How can I create a series for x
>> > axis?
>> > Thanks in advance
>> > Daniel

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/7/2007 9:28:16 PM
Hi Jon
Thanks for response,  I am using excel 2003, please give me more details
step by step. How can I define data range?  Do I have to change reference in
series?
Thanks
Daniel

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If you're using Excel 2003, define the data range as a list (Data menu) and
> as the list changes size, any formulas referencing the list (including the
> chart SERIES formula) will update to include the entire length of the list.
> If you're using Excel 2007, define the range as a Table, and it will behave
> like an Excel 2003 List.
>
> If you're using Excel 2002 or earlier, the dynamic approach using dynamic
> names is in fact the easy way.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Shane
> >  I have an existing excel chart and I need to change it be dynamic which
> > is
> > the chart will automatically expand and continue to graph.  I 've just
> > learn
> > that the chart need to define names and add offset, counta functions.  But
> > that is the hard way and I want to learn the easy way.  I heard I can
> > change
> > the series but do not clear about it. Thanks in advance
> > Daniel
> >
> > "Shane Devenshire" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Daniel,
> >>
> >> It's not clear what exactly you want to do - there are many types of
> >> dynamic
> >> chart.  Also your solution is version dependent - what version are you
> >> using.  There are a lot of hard ways to do this, but there is also a very
> >> elegant and easy way to handle it, depending on what you are actually
> >> trying
> >> to do.  For example there is not need for dynamic range names in some
> >> cases.
> >>
> >> Please give us more info.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Shane Devenshire
> >>
> >> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Daniel1 (174)
6/7/2007 11:47:00 PM
This List feature was what convinced me it was worth upgrading to 2003
(haven't encountered the killer feature in 2007 yet).

The list should be structured like a flat database, with column labels in
the first row of the list (needn't be the first row of the sheet), no blank
rows or columns, and each row represents one record of the data. Select the
range (or a single cell within the range and let Excel expand the
selection), go to Date menu > List > Create List, or hit Ctrl + L.

Make sure your series formulas reference the data in the list by column. If
the list has its column headers in row 3 and data in rows 4 through 20, if
your formula includes all these rows of a column in the list, like
=SUM($G$4:$G$20), if the list is expanded or contracted, the formula will
automatically update so it still references the entire list.

- Jon
-------

> Hi Jon
> Thanks for response,  I am using excel 2003, please give me more details
> step by step. How can I define data range?  Do I have to change reference
> in
> series?
> Thanks
> Daniel
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> If you're using Excel 2003, define the data range as a list (Data menu)
>> and
>> as the list changes size, any formulas referencing the list (including
>> the
>> chart SERIES formula) will update to include the entire length of the
>> list.
>> If you're using Excel 2007, define the range as a Table, and it will
>> behave
>> like an Excel 2003 List.
>>
>> If you're using Excel 2002 or earlier, the dynamic approach using dynamic
>> names is in fact the easy way.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Shane
>> >  I have an existing excel chart and I need to change it be dynamic
>> > which
>> > is
>> > the chart will automatically expand and continue to graph.  I 've just
>> > learn
>> > that the chart need to define names and add offset, counta functions.
>> > But
>> > that is the hard way and I want to learn the easy way.  I heard I can
>> > change
>> > the series but do not clear about it. Thanks in advance
>> > Daniel

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
6/8/2007 12:20:04 PM
I meant to add that, like many features in Excel, the best way to learn
about it is to try it out.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> This List feature was what convinced me it was worth upgrading to 2003
> (haven't encountered the killer feature in 2007 yet).
>
> The list should be structured like a flat database, with column labels in
> the first row of the list (needn't be the first row of the sheet), no
> blank rows or columns, and each row represents one record of the data.
> Select the range (or a single cell within the range and let Excel expand
> the selection), go to Date menu > List > Create List, or hit Ctrl + L.
>
> Make sure your series formulas reference the data in the list by column.
> If the list has its column headers in row 3 and data in rows 4 through 20,
> if your formula includes all these rows of a column in the list, like
> =SUM($G$4:$G$20), if the list is expanded or contracted, the formula will
> automatically update so it still references the entire list.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jon
>> Thanks for response,  I am using excel 2003, please give me more details
>> step by step. How can I define data range?  Do I have to change reference
>> in
>> series?
>> Thanks
>> Daniel
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>
>>> If you're using Excel 2003, define the data range as a list (Data menu)
>>> and
>>> as the list changes size, any formulas referencing the list (including
>>> the
>>> chart SERIES formula) will update to include the entire length of the
>>> list.
>>> If you're using Excel 2007, define the range as a Table, and it will
>>> behave
>>> like an Excel 2003 List.
>>>
>>> If you're using Excel 2002 or earlier, the dynamic approach using
>>> dynamic
>>> names is in fact the easy way.
>>>
>>> - Jon
>>> -------
>>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>>> _______
>>>

>>> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

A Combination Chart using a Column and Line
I have a large amount of data about protein values and I have grouped these using the Analysis-Pak Histogram wizard. The resulting frequencies have been charted using the 'Column' Chart Type. Using the NORMDIST function I then plotted the appropriate Normal Curve as a 'Line' Chart Type on the same chart but using a secondary y-axis. I was wondering if there is any sensible way of scaling the NORMDIST values so that both sets of data can be charted on the same axis. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. ...

line-column combination chart, with stacked columns
I am trying to make a combination chart with stacked colums and an overlayed line (or data point), just like it is possible to make a combination chart with "regular" bars and a line. Hi, Have you tried creating the combination chart yourself? Create a stacked columns chart, including the series you want to plot as a line. Then select this series and use Chart > Chart Type to change the series into a line chart of your choice. Cheers Andy annewcpss wrote: > I am trying to make a combination chart with stacked colums and an overlayed > line (or data point), just like ...

Changing Arbic numeral to Hindi numeral
How to change Arabic numeral to Hindi numeral in Excel 2003 ...

Account format change #3
GP 9 framework length = 14 4 segments 3-4-4-3 seg 3 natural current useage length 11 1-3-4.3 in a test environment under tools setup acct format made the changes so that length = 14 seg1=3 seg2 =4 no change to seg3 or 4 this keeps us within the framework and saved ex acct 0-401-5000-399 became 0ss-401s-5000-399 s=space I then ran the prof tools modifier final acct 000-0401-5000-399 with the actindx of 0-401-5000-399 = to the new acct 000-0401-5000-399 only results that I have an issue with so far is the gl40200 the 2 segments that were changed had both in the table and the new longer segm...

CListCtrl Changing the row height
Hello, I'm trying to change the the row height of a CListCtrl ( not the total length of the listCtrl) i.e. I want the text to be displayed with the same font size but the height of this text (item) should be increased. This way on a touch screen the distance between the items is large enough to select an item in the ClistCtrl. Currently the clistctrl has one column, and each row data has a small icon and text beside it. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks, Regards, Suresh I think the only way to do it is to use a custom draw list control. This article should explain how to do...

Unable to change email password
Hello: Here is my problem, I tried to change my email password by choosing Outlook login screen "Change Password" button, but received an error message "Your Windows password could not be changed, Please check the information and try again.". I have upgraded our Exchange system from 2000 to 2003 SP1 about six months ago, and never had that problem while at Exchange 2000, here is our setup - 1. Client - Outlook 2002 SP3 2. Server - Exchange 2003 server (Windows 2003 SP1) and Active Directory server (Still on Windows 2000 SP4). 3. We have Novell servers, so each works...

Printing multiple charts #2
My question is - i have multiple charts on the same worksheet. Is it possible to print them on separate pages without selecting each one individually? Hi, Depending on you layout inserting page breaks may solve your problem. Cheers Andy Edwina wrote: > My question is - i have multiple charts on the same worksheet. Is it > possible to print them on separate pages without selecting each one > individually? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Hi Edwina, Here is a possible workaround. Go to View>Page Break Preview Select a range of cells and the...

Annotating charts in Excel
I am creating a line chart in Excel, and want to annotate various movements in the line. It is a share price graph, with price against date (and volumes on a secondary axis), and I want to explain the significant peaks, troughs, movements etc. Ultimately I want arrows to point to the line which are sequentially numbered - I will have a separate table which shows the date and narrative for each number (space is limited on the chart itself, as I'll have about 10-15 arrows). Rather than drawing the arrows on manually, and adding text boxes with numbers, is there any quicker way of doing it...

Outlook form - Checkbox
Dear all, Let's assume I have 15 contacts. 5 of these contacts are clients and I would like to have a different background color of the contact form for these contacts that all employees know that these contacts are clients. The contacts are stored in the Public Folders. Any ideas how I could add a checkbox (add a custom tab) that if the checkbox is checked that the background color of this form would change (> all pages/tabs > General, Details, Activities, etc.)? Kind regards, Simon You can design your own custom contact form for this; Tools-> Forms-> ...

Excel 2003
Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column of names of the format: FirstName LastName I want to convert them to the format: LastName, FirstName Is this possible in Excel 2003? Thanks very much - Assume they start in A1, insert a new column B or use the one you have if it is empty, then in B1 put =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)&", "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) press enter Select B1 again, move the cursor to the lower right corner of B1 and when it changes from a thick cross to a think double click and copy down the formula. S...

Change History (Log)
Hello, Is it possible to retrieve information about inserted, deleted or updated records in an MS Access database from system tables? In other words, to read and interpret the transaction log. I am not able to change the database structure and there is no current logging mechanism, but I need to detect the changes made by any other client. Thank you. No. JET (the data engine in Access) does not support transaction logging. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot...

combining two line charts with different x axis intervals
Hi newsgroup, I'm not getting around this one and hope that I'm just not clever enough ;) I try to get two line charts in the same graph, but they have different x axis intervals. Is this possible? For better understanding, an example of the first being x y 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 and an example of the second being x y 1 2 3 2 5 2 7 2 9 2 Thanks a lot in advance! Chris Hi, Try using a xy-scatter chart rather than a Line chart. Cheers Andy On 12/05/2010 11:50, Chris J Denver wrote: > Hi n...

Why doesn't "Replace" function find value I know exists?
Using Excel 2003, I normally have no problem with the "REPLACE" function, i.e. replacing year 2009 with 2010; however when I try to replace a value, i.e. 1000.00 with 2000.00, even though I know 1000.00 is entered many times in the worksheet, it cannot find it. I use the Format option and select "Use Format From Cell" and it still does not work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. Hi, are you importing the values?, sometimes there are blank spaces that you cannot see, assuming numbers are in column B in another column enter =trim(B1) copy formula down and t...

Change file name #2
Hi, I've been searching for a solution to the following problem for more than a week. I've posted it here a couple of times, and got some good ideas, but unfortunately they did not work. The variable "myfolder1" has the correct value, followed by ".xls" as it should. I'd be very thankful if someone could find my error. This is the original question: I am new to Exel, and i cannot find my error in the following script. The error is: Run time erroro '9' Subscript out of range and it always stops on the "windows(my folder1).activate" line...

Changing Case #3
I have a large excel document that has been typed in upper case and I wish to change it to Proper case ie. with initial capitals only. Is there an easy way to do this, please. Thanks, Robert Robert, The easiest way is probably to download the free Excel add-in "XL Extras" from http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware It adds menu commands on the Format menu that will change case in whatever cells you select - Proper, Upper, Lower and Sentence case. Plus it does other nice stuff. Comes with a Word.doc install/use file. -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Robert ...

Why do margins change when a file is emailed?
I am setting up monthly transaction worksheets for a client and then emailing them for her to print out. When she opens the email attachment and checks the print preview the top and bottom margins are not the same as what I set them at. Is there a way to correct this? T, I haven't seen this occur myself, but it may come from the use of different screen resolutions or different printers. Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "TKuppan" <TKuppan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:813CA78F-ED25-400B-8F95-56DAE4C3E975@microsoft.com I am setting up monthly transact...

Source Data Ranges in Charts
Is there a way an Excel chart (Excel 2000) can dynamically determine th beginning and end of source data ranges? Perhaps based on markers i the worksheet, or the use of a function of some sort in the data sourc panel. Imagine a single column of values from rows 1 to 2000. This column o values describes a series of "events" in order from top to bottom o the column. Each event equates to a separate data series in the chart In the chart each data series is hardcoded with the beginning an ending cell references of each event. The problem is this: When the parameters of the underl...

Dynamic Trend
I am working with data updated weekly, and making forecast by trend line of last 12 weeks, if there is a way for dynamic trend line, so I dond have to change the range every week. Thank you -- Eli Kedar Israel Hi, This can be done with dynamic ranges. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng31.htm Cheers Andy Eli Kedar wrote: > I am working with data updated weekly, and making forecast by trend line of > last 12 weeks, if there is a way for dynamic trend line, so I dond have to > change the range every week. > > Thank you -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andyp...

How to change the title of a CPropertyPage?
I would like to change the title of a property page. I have tried to SetWindowText but it does not work. Is there a solution? Thank you in advance. Pierre Couderc See if the following KB article helps you http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q141487 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Pierre Couderc" <pierre@couderc.cc> wrote in message news:bfrau1$1mnu$1@biggoron.nerim.net... > I would like to change the title of a property page. > I have tried to SetWindowText but it does not work. > Is there ...

Change Outlook today page
Is there a way to show my "Companyweb" whenever I open outlook? Also How would I push this down to my users with a group policy? Outlook11 SBS 2k3 premium Thanks ...

Trouble Using Named Ranges in a Chart
I am trying to use a named range as series data for a chart. My named range has a OFFSET function set up so the range dynamically adjusts when new data is added. The trouble is when I enter the name into the "values" box it get at "The formula you entered contains an error" box. Is there a trick to entering Names? Thanks Vern Jon Peltier has some notes at: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartSeriesFormula.html that might help. (He's got a couple of common errors to avoid at the bottom of the page.) Vern wrote: > > I am trying to u...

Disable Accept/Reject Changes
Can Accept and Reject Changes be disabled for a Shared Workbook? I would want to enable it later. I just want to make sure that only certain people can except or reject changes. -- tj ...

Changing default page margins
Can't find instructions on how to change the default PAGE margins in Publications. It seems changing default TEXT BOX margins is covered, but not PAGE margins. I can see how to change page margins in the current publication, but not how to change the default. Help? You cannot change the default. You can create a template, when the Getting Started screen opens, click My Templates, click the created template. A couple of extra clicks... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ThereseW" <ThereseW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:379EB1E2-3AD9-4438-B19...

Tracking changes to a form
I have a table and module set up to track all changes made to a record on my form. I am using the following code for the module: Option Compare Database Function LogChanges(lngID As Long, Optional strField As String = "") Dim dbs As DAO.Database Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim varOld As Variant Dim varNew As Variant Dim strFormName As String Dim strControlName As String varOld = Screen.ActiveControl.OldValue varNew = Screen.ActiveControl.Value strFormName = Screen.ActiveForm.Name strControlName = Screen.ActiveControl.Name ...

Updating Chart fails
Hello everybody, I have problems updating charts in Excel when using VisualBasic to calculate values. I calculate values with a self-written function "func". My sheet looks like this: x y 1 =func(a2) 2 =func(a3) 3 =func(a4) This function "func" depends on some variables that I set in a sheet. If I change on of this variables, I have to do a "Application.CalculateFullRebuild" to get "y"-values updated. All fine. But now I have a chart that plots this x-y data. This graph is not updated by "Application.CalculateFullRebuild". It only updates ...