Cell Linking to Chart Headings

I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to
a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet.  The purpose
of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it
link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs.  Can
anyone help?

You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a
chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals
key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears
after the equals sign in the formula bar:

   =Sheet1!$A$1

The text element in the chart will assume the entire text of the cell.
To get a concatenated label in the chart, use formulas in the cell to
create the label, then link the chart's text element to the cell with
the built-up label.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Zeenet wrote:

> I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to
> a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet.  The purpose
> of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it
> link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs.  Can
> anyone help?

Jon,

I did exactly the same as you suggested either on the axis title itself or
on Chart Option/Value (X) axis: input box, but it did not work. All I got was
a literal string, not the vlaue of the reference. Do I need to set up some
options to achieve this?

Allen

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a
> chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals
> key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears
> after the equals sign in the formula bar:
>
>    =Sheet1!$A$1
>
> The text element in the chart will assume the entire text of the cell.
> To get a concatenated label in the chart, use formulas in the cell to
> create the label, then link the chart's text element to the cell with
> the built-up label.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Zeenet wrote:
>
> > I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to
> > a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet.  The purpose
> > of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it
> > link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs.  Can
> > anyone help?

0
Allen (58)
9/19/2005 4:55:07 PM
Here's an explanation of linking chart title elements to cells.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

- Jon
-------

Allen wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I did exactly the same as you suggested either on the axis title itself or
> on Chart Option/Value (X) axis: input box, but it did not work. All I got was
> a literal string, not the vlaue of the reference. Do I need to set up some
> options to achieve this?
>

> Allen
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a
>>chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals
>>key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears
>>after the equals sign in the formula bar:
>>
>>   =Sheet1!$A$1
>>
>>The text element in the chart will assume the entire text of the cell.
>>To get a concatenated label in the chart, use formulas in the cell to
>>create the label, then link the chart's text element to the cell with
>>the built-up label.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Zeenet wrote:
>>

>>>I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to
>>>a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet.  The purpose
>>>of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it
>>>link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs.  Can
>>>anyone help?

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Linking Combo box to pivot table?
Hi All, I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a count of the calls in the data area. What I would love is that if I could have a combo box on a worksheet which when I select a team from its list it only shows me that teams data in the pivot table. Is this possible please?? -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 You could move Team to the page area of the pivot table. Select a team, and the pivot table will only show its data. Adam wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a > c...

Process all cells in a (user) selection
I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined selection; Dim aCell As Range For Each aCell In Sheet4.Range("A4:A34") ' Do Stuff Here Next aCell which processes every cell in the A4:A34 Range How do I do the same thing for a selection drawn by the user before pressing my 'Process' button ? Thanks On 05 May 2010 11:10:21 GMT, Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: >I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined >selection; > >Dim aCell As Range >For Each aCell In S...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

Using a variable for a chart limit
Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Vince F Hi, See Jon's information http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy Vince F wrote: > Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell > reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, > but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Andy Pop...

Cell background shading in Excel
Why is it that the background shading colors available under the Paintbucket Icon chjange from file to file? Also, how can I add some of the colors to the paintbucket that are availabe under the format/cells/pattern pulldown? Colors are a Workbook-level property, so you can change the color palette for any workbook. Choose Tools/Options/Colors... and modify the colors to your hearts' content. You can also import another workbook's color palette from that dialog. Note however, that there are only 56 bins in the color palette, so you can only use 56 colors at a time. The paint b...

Linking Drop-down list to worksheets
I need 20 dropdown list on the worksheet. some of drop-down lists has the same values. I need a list thats has one set of names and worksheet has another set of names. Here is a example want I need. LIST names Worksheet names Red - Black 770rb Black-White 770bw My list will have 15 items in each list. When user click on the color it would take them to that worksheet. What is best way to do this? ...

Sum every other cell?
I own a used-book shop. I have an Excel SS to track how many books pe day I sell in each of 28 categories and the $$$ I take in for eac category. So there's two columns for each day: #books & $$$. therefore want to add every odd-numbered cell in a row to get the tota number of books for a category in a given period of days and ever even-numbered cell in the same row for the the total $$$. Is there simple formula or function for this -- bookmanj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bookmanjb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?acti...

Manual for beginners -- Charts with Excel
You may find useful a training manual I wrote for making charts in Excel. The manual is for beginners to intermediate users. [So, no VBA and dynamic ranges and stuff]. Great for teaching college students or self-mastering the Excel Charts facility. In any case, the book is free at http://www.vgupta.com VJ ...

How to change a bar to line in a combo chart?
I am currently using Excel & PPt 2000 and cannot figure out how to control which rows of data are displayed as a bar or line in a combunation chart. In PPt it combo bar/line chart defaults to the last row only as a line and in Excel it seems to have half as a bar/ half as a line. Any suggestions? In the chart, select the series you want changed. Then, select Chart | Chart Type... and pick the desired type+subtype. When a single series is selected the chart type choice applies only to that one series. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-...

Invisible bar on bar chart
Hello, I have a stacked bar chart with 3 bars ie 'series' of data. I have made the 1st (bottom) bar invisible by setting its border, fill pattern etc to 'none'. So far so good. I want to make the bar visible again, but I cannot find out how to 'select' it in order to change its format! I need to double-click on it ? Am I missing something ? Help please ? KK With the chart selected, use the arrow keys and watch the Name box. When you see the series you want click the Format item on menu bar best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove cap...

FootNote links and PDFs
Hi, Does anybody know how to get Word 2003 SP3 with Acrobat Std 7 to generate PDF links... I know this is more likely an Acrobat question... figured I'd check in here.. 900 page document with lots of foot notes, and when you convert it it removes the links Word inserts... Thanks for anything you can do. Mitch There's more than one way to create a PDF in Acrobat 7. If you just print to the Adobe PDF print driver, you will not get any hyperlinks. However, if you open Adobe and select Create PDF - From file, you should get the links you need. If you have the Ado...

MERGE CELLS
I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 seperate cells/columns. I want to have this format in 1 cell: Name PO Box Street address City, State Zip STEVE wrote: > I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 > seperate cells/columns. > > I want to have this format in 1 cell: > > Name > PO Box > Street address > City, State Zip > You do realize that this will screw up your ability to sort the data. A better solution would be to describe what you want to do with the data. You may not need it in the ...

How do I format a cell to auto date
I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hi George Use a function like this one for todays date =TODAY() -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EF21130-EBD9-41C2-8CB5-5723BE40CBB1@microsoft.com... >I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the > spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. > Thanks ...

Line Chart 03-22-10
I am trying to create a chart that will allow me to have multiple years on the same chart so the difference can be seen from year to year. Second problem is there a limit to what can be entered into the axis. I'm not sure if this is clear or not. Appreciate any assistance. EXCEL 2007 Please check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 53. Open the Workbook and go to the Chart Worksheet. 1. Change data range A4 to A8 to, for example:- 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 These dates will then appear in the Horizontal Axis of the chart. This gives y...

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

how to add a cell value to a letter to reference another cell
Is it possible to take the value of a cell (say the value of 83 that's in cell A1) and append it to a letter (Z) so that a subsequent formula can get a value that's in Z83. Hope this make's sense. Thanks in advance for the help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way, =INDIRECT("Z"&A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mac Macaroo" <Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn...

Link Tables 04-17-07
I have 2 different back-end databases I use, one for when I'm testing and one for production. I'm also using a homegrown login. When I log in, I'd like a window to appear that list which files I'm linked to at that time (mostly because I just want to make sure I'm either in production or in testing environment without having to check link table manager--unfortunately I sometimes forget.) I've seen this code but when I step into it, the value of tdf is blank, even though it goes through it as if it isn't. Sub ShowLinkPath() Dim db As DAO.Database Dim tdf As DAO.Tab...

choose a specific color for my chart
I want my charts to be of specific colors, different from the ones I can choose in excel. I want to type them in using the color code (as we do in html). But I can't figure out how. Can anybody help me...? Under Tools - Options, Color tab. You can select to modify any of the default colors (including ones used for charts). Click "modify", then go to the "custom" tab. You can now define a specific color using either RGB or HSL. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Berit" wrote: > I want my charts to ...

Excel crash while tring to add a chart
Hi, I have a user (on windows 2000 and excel 2000 sp3) who is trying to create a chart in excel and every time he attempts it excel crashes. The application log entry is: - The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 01/28/2005 @ 15:53:45.243 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 3003DCC8 (<nosymbols>) For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. When i log in as myself i can create charts perfectly, any ideas where to start? (I have already uninstalled and reinstalled/patched office) Many Tha...

Conditional Cell Number Formatting
I've looked back on several thousand messages or so and haven't seen this so here goes. I need to be able to set the numerical format of a cell based upon the contents of another cell. In other words if C1 is equal to x than the numerical format of C2 would be "00000" and if C1 equals y then the C2 cell's format would need to be set as 000000000000. I hope I've been clear, thanks!! All i could find in the usual help channels was concerning the formatting of contents with respect to font, colors, etc. VBA? Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target...