Category Axis Lables

I work with Excel a lot and I often get request to "Bold 1 or 2 lables on the Category Axis" of a graph...I'm unable to

customize a formula, so I just ended up floating the Bolded Text which I despised. IS THERE A TO DO THIS WITHOUT FLOATING THE TEXT

Thank You
0
anonymous (74722)

You can construct an alternative axis, using a technique like this:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

You can individually select and format the data labels that make up the
custom axis labels. One single click selects all the labels, the next
single click selects one of the labels. With one selected, and
formatting you apply is picked up only by the selected one.

Another trick: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, which is used in the example
to apply these labels to the chart, picks up the formatting of the
cells. So you could format the cell with the label's text, and the label
in the chart will use that formatting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Naru70 wrote:

> I work with Excel a lot and I often get request to "Bold 1 or 2
> lables on the Category Axis" of a graph...I'm unable to
>
> customize a formula, so I just ended up floating the Bolded Text
> which I despised. IS THERE A TO DO THIS WITHOUT FLOATING THE TEXT?
>
> Thank You

0
DOjonNOT (619)

Categories, Budget and Category Groups?
I am new to Money 2007 Premium and am a little stumped by the category/subcategory/category group model, the defaults available and the relation to my Budget. I was about to assign my rent a category when I noticed that I was able to choose either Mortgage/Rent (Rent Bill) or Bills-Rent (Rent Bill). Why would they both exist by default? I see that the Mortgage/Rent category is an "Essential" category, but why would switching to "Advanced" give me two of the same? What long-term effect is this decision going to have and what is the rationale for having two options...

YTD expenses by category
I am having problems trying to find a quick and direct answer to questions like: How much did I spend in (category/subcategory) this year? If I go to the Categories screen and choose a category or subcategory of interest, Money shows me the total of how much I have spent in that category ever. There is no place to ask for a timeframe (I am mostly interested in year by year). What I usually end up doing is going to budget and asking it to show me the current year (I use Savings and Spending). The problem with this is that I only get the expenses by subcategory, not by category. Is the...

Recently used Categories list is too short
Is there a way to change the length of the recently used categories in Outlook 2007? It shows 15 but I'd like to increase it to 30 or 40 since4 I have a high resolution monitor and I use categories extensively. The "recently used" list I refer to is what pops up when you click on the little four-pane "categorize" button on the toolbar. Any information leading to any way of doing this or leading to any tools that make categorization easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! AFAIK, the length of the MRU list can't be changed.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP...

Graph displaying dates alphabetically on x axis
Hello! Title says it all - I want the x axis to show dates in DATE ORDER, not alphabetical order. I've read thru the forum, can't see how to fix it - your help will be appreciated. Kind Regards, Russell. p.s. Here is the graph Row Source, should there be an ORDER BY statement in here? SELECT (Format([Date Paid],"mmm"" '""yy")) AS Expr1, Sum([Tenant Payments]. Amount) AS SumOfAmount FROM [Tenant Payments] GROUP BY (Format([Date Paid], "mmm"" '""yy")), [Tenant Payments].[Date Paid], (Year([Date Paid]...

Chart, X-axis range
I'm using Excel 2003. In column A, I have dates from June 1 to December 31 (6/1 - 12/31). In columns B, C, D I have data for each date. I create a line graph for the month of June. When I create the graph, I select the range that includes only the June dates. The dates form the X-axis of the chart. The dates displayed range from 5/30 to 7/2. Where are the May and July dates coming from? I've verified that I selected only June dates. There aren't even any May dates in the spreadsheet. Dick Evans Hi Dick Excel seems to guess that you want to show complete weeks. One simple solutio...

tracking double categories for tax purposes
Now and then I encounter an expense that is tax deductable in some manner but I think of it personally in a different manner. For example, being unemployed one can buy new clothes to look good for a job interview and this is tax deductable. I could create a category called "job search" and put the expense under that so that at the end of the year it will show up on tax reports. But, I personally prefer to lump this together with clothing expenses in my own reports. What is the best way to track the same expense in two different ways? -Jeff Look up 'classification'...

X-Axis is missing a data
I have this chart where x-axis is representing days from december 1, 2006 until April 8 2007. When I create a chart, the X-Axis shows dates weekly which is every Friday. But since April 8 is not Friday it is now shown. How can I tweak Excel to show April 8 on the X-Axis? Thanks Several options: 1. Adjust the major unit of the X axis so it isn't a nice interval like 7 days. 2. Add a data label to the point so you don't need an axis tick label. 3. Change from a time scale to a category axis, which shows each point, not just the nicely spaced weekly ticks. Chart menu > Chart Opt...

Change color of a particular category label in Excel 2007
Hi, I have a bar chart with average SAT scores of various private schools. On the vertical axis are school names. I would like to change the format of one particular school to Bold & Red while leaving the text color of all of the other schools Unbolded and Black. I would also like to change the bar color for this particular school to Red while leaving the bars for the other schools Black. I have had trouble figuring this out. Can anybody help? Paul Hi Paul, Thanks for your question. The general rule with chart selection is that clicking once selects the entire series and clicking ...

plotting 'random' data on a linear x-axis
I have a table (as shown below) and I'd like to do a simple line plot. I'd like to be able to plot this with linear x and y axes with the data points as shown in the table. Excel wants to evenly space the rows in my table along the x-axis. How can I get it to use the value in column A for the position of the data point on the x-axis? x-axis y-axis 128 1572.58 192 1178.92 256 785.25 360 465.15 480 324.03 512 303.30 600 257.99 750 211.37 960 146.10 1600 99.27 1920 75.86 2880 54.82 3840 43.98 You need an XY not a Line chart. ( a very common error - Microsoft should chang...

How to use windows xp chart wizard to add secondary axis
previous posts unhelpful inserting chart with x values in a2:a11 and y(x) values in b2:b11 plotting y(x) versus x TIME FOR USER-DEFINED CHARTING!!! first, select the data you want to put in the chart, then click th chart wizard. Click the "Custom types" tab, then scroll down to th "Line-Column on 2 Axes". it should be a cinch from there. hope this is what you need -- medicenpringle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- medicenpringles's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1645 View this thread...

set default axis values
have set default after formatting chart through chart / chart types/set as default setting Then when highlight data and press F11, format revert back to origional setting any ideas to amend? I am trying to set this so as to not keep formating each chart when the operator selects the required data thanks brian -- bnt Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-chart/200603/1 You are close, however, you have to take a few additional steps: Step 1 - you need to establish a user defined custom chart type before you can set it as your default chart: ...

getting the x-axis value through VBA
Hi All, I am facing some peculiar problem. I need to find the first x-axis datapoint value from the chart through VBA. That is finding the categoryvalue of datapoint for x -axis. Is their any function avilable in VBA. Thanxs in advance Syam It works like this: Sub GetXValue ' declare a variant to hold the array of X values Dim XVals as Variant ' declare another variant to hold the category Dim X As Variant ' populate the array XVals = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues ' get the value you need X = XVals(1) ' output the value Debug.Print...

If I can split credit card categories and entries, how can I merge
How can I merge a exported credit card download into the split portion of my credit card entries? Hopefully I wan't too confusing. In microsoft.public.money, drsteve wrote: >How can I merge a exported credit card download into the split portion of my >credit card entries? Hopefully I wan't too confusing. Are you saying that you have entered a credit card purchase with a split as the category, and you want to match a downloaded transaction to the one you entered by hand? "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: > In microsoft.public.money, drsteve wrote: > > >H...

Category Colours not showing in Public folder calendar
I have one user who changes the colour categories of calendar appointments in a public folder calendar. The colour changes show immediately on the calendar on her Outlook client (Outlook 2007) but other users who access this calendar do NOT see the colour changes at all. However, if any of the other users make a change to the colour of the appointments, then everyone else sees the change immediately, including the one user who's changes are NOT seen! I've checked the permissions, the update timings, the public folder permissions on Exchange (Exchange 2003). I've ...

Label last x-axis value
Hello, I hope that somebody can help me with the following issue with Excel Charts. The x-axis is the timeaxis with labels every twelve months. However, the displayed data may extend beyond the last label. That looks very odd. Is there a way to force Excel to display the last x-axis value? Thanks, Chris Hi, No not if the label does not fall on a major step. You could add a dummy data series that has an x value that matches the last period and a Y value of 0. The use the data label set to display Category. If the chart is a line chart you series will need to include empty data for al...

auto. category matching on downloads
I am current using MS 2003 and love it however it does not match downloaded transactions with categories or provide a way to do that. does 2004 do this? what about 2005? Although from what I read here I dont know if I want to go with 2005 Thanks JohnR ...

Outlook Categories
Hello, We have outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. I created a customer list in the public foldor. I also created new categories. i.e. reseller, retail, rep... But from other workstations, they can not find my categories. May I know how to fix this? Thanks "Newbie" <Newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62A73995-D277-41E2-9847-53F0ACA9E975@microsoft.com... > We have outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. > I created a customer list in the public foldor. > I also created new categories. i.e. reseller, retail, rep... > But fr...

Modify scale for lables on the X-axis of a scatter plot from Pivo
Modify scale for lables on the X-axis of a scatter plot from Pivot data I need to increase the gap between my labels on the X axis in a scatter plot. They are too close and I can not read the labels unless i make them 4pt and zoom in to 200%. There are about 200 points on the X axis at .2 increments. I would like to be able to have labels for whole numbers only. I can not use a fixed set of values by generating a dummy X-axis since the range changes as I apply the different filters. Any ideas? thanks! Sandy ...

Labeling The Right Hand Side Of A Graph With Axis Values ?
Hello, Have a very simple graph of dates along the X and Blood p along the left vertical. Typical simple graph. Is there any way I can have the Y axis value labels also appear on the right hand vertical edge of the graph (in addition to the left side) ? Can't believe there isn't a way to do it, but just don't see any option for it. Thanks, B. Hi, You need to have 2 series in order to use both sets of Y axis. Explanation for a column chart is given here. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip005.htm The same applys to line chart although obviously you do not have to worry a...

Associating category fails for one payee
So I'm just starting to use Money, and it all seems to work pretty well except for one grocery store that I always shop at: Money Plus refuses to automatically categorize it as groceries. I've entered it (time and time again). Will this just work next time I download a transaction or is something else going on? Thanks, -- -Steve Anderson Program Manager, Office This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Category Groups
I have version 8 (Money 2000 Standard). Can anyone tell me if you can change and add category Groups? If so how? Thanks Jessy ...

Time(X) Axis Scale in 97
Hello, I am using Excel 97. I updated a line chart by one cell. My x axis was previously a Time (x) axis scale, showing ticks every 6 months: 1/00, 7/00, 1/01, etc. When I add one cell to the Source Data, Series, Category (x) axis label (to match the additional one cell value in the Values box above it), it throws my whole x axis off, changing it to every 3 months. When I double click on this x axis, I then see the menu Category (x) axis scale, and cannot get back to the Time (x) axis scale menu. How do I get back to the Time (x) axis scale menu? Thank you in advance for helping me on...

Categories #2
I know that the categories in Outlook2003 are stored in a different place in the registry, but they also seem to be in a different format. Is there a way to convert Outlook2000 categories to the 2003 format ...

labels closer to axis
How do I get the x-axis labels closer to the axis? When I format the labels I can modify how much they're offset, but even setting it to 0 doesn't really improve it much. Failing that, is there a way to create a "leader line" from the label to the spot on the axis to which it pertains? Hi, If the offset of 0 does not get your labels close enough then you may need to create your own axis labels. See Jon Peltier's collection of articles on creating your own axes. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#ArbAxis If you want to create leader lines you will have...

Categories are powerful but the interface sucks
I love Categories in Outlook 2007 and use them daily, but the interface is lame (too many clicks to set a category, even worse to set multiples, ...I could go on). Am I the only one out here who wishes someone would code add-ins or plug ins or similar to make Categories easier to use efficiently? As just one example, how 'bout an always open floating Categories window that shows my full list of Categories no matter how long it is (no scrolling), allows me to select a few one a click at a time, and then pushes the bunch to whatever email is currently in focus when I click on,...