Can you link primary and secondary axis zero, scaling?

For ease of reading, I would like to link zero points and make the tick mark
distances the same for both primary and secondary axes (with different
scaling, though).  Is there a way to do this besides setting the scaling
manually?
0
CarolM (2)

There's no built in way offered by Excel for this. It could be done
programmatically.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"CarolM" <CarolM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For ease of reading, I would like to link zero points and make the tick
> mark
> distances the same for both primary and secondary axes (with different
> scaling, though).  Is there a way to do this besides setting the scaling
> manually?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/22/2006 3:12:30 AM
Hi Carol:
I am not sure whether I understand your question correctly (English is not
my native language): do you want to set the tick marks "in line" or do you
want to automate it / instruct Excel to do it automatically?
If you *just* want to get the tick mark distances lined up then I believe
you can set this manually.  Do you want it for the category or for the value
axis? It may not work equally well for all type of charts, and also the
relation between the two axes must have some fixed linear factor.
Additionally, you need to set the secondary axis with their min/max values
equal to their corresponding figures on the first axis, and this need to be
manually corrected if your data changes.  E.g., for an XY chart I use it for
instance to show two category axes, one in Celsius and the other in Kelvin
grads.  Also, I apply this principle to show actual figure values on one axis
and corresponding percentages on the secondary y-axis. The tick mark
distances can be "matched", i.e. you can use shared gridlines by choosing
appropriate values for "Major Unit" relative to "Maximum" of the scale (in
Format Axis / Scale) for both axes. "Appropriate" usually will be the same
percentage-wise value for both axes.
I hope this is what you are looking for.  Feel free to mail me a concrete
example with details on chart type, which axes/values, etc if this is answer
is too cryptic.
GL,
Henk

"CarolM" wrote:

> For ease of reading, I would like to link zero points and make the tick mark
> distances the same for both primary and secondary axes (with different
> scaling, though).  Is there a way to do this besides setting the scaling
> manually?
0
HEK (135)
4/23/2006 7:30:01 PM
Henk,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the manual settings, and have used them in the past.  I was
wondering if there was an automated way to apply the settings so that things
would come out right when distributed to a larger group of users that have
slightly different data to present.  It sounds from another reply like there
is no built-in function in Excel to accomplish this, but that programming may
be possible.

Regards,
Carol

"HEK" wrote:

> Hi Carol:
> I am not sure whether I understand your question correctly (English is not
> my native language): do you want to set the tick marks "in line" or do you
> want to automate it / instruct Excel to do it automatically?
> If you *just* want to get the tick mark distances lined up then I believe
> you can set this manually.  Do you want it for the category or for the value
> axis? It may not work equally well for all type of charts, and also the
> relation between the two axes must have some fixed linear factor.
> Additionally, you need to set the secondary axis with their min/max values
> equal to their corresponding figures on the first axis, and this need to be
> manually corrected if your data changes.  E.g., for an XY chart I use it for
> instance to show two category axes, one in Celsius and the other in Kelvin
> grads.  Also, I apply this principle to show actual figure values on one axis
> and corresponding percentages on the secondary y-axis. The tick mark
> distances can be "matched", i.e. you can use shared gridlines by choosing
> appropriate values for "Major Unit" relative to "Maximum" of the scale (in
> Format Axis / Scale) for both axes. "Appropriate" usually will be the same
> percentage-wise value for both axes.
> I hope this is what you are looking for.  Feel free to mail me a concrete
> example with details on chart type, which axes/values, etc if this is answer
> is too cryptic.
> GL,
> Henk
>
> "CarolM" wrote:
>
> > For ease of reading, I would like to link zero points and make the tick mark
> > distances the same for both primary and secondary axes (with different
> > scaling, though).  Is there a way to do this besides setting the scaling
> > manually?
0
CarolM (2)

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

Public Folder link to Excel File

can i download lxce serv.exe

how many receivers i can add

Need HELP! for Linking data

Can't configure Outlook Express

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003

Can not open PDFs
I'm using Outlook Express,when I receive e-mail with pdf attachments I can not open or save the PDF files I can see that the file is there but nothing happen. thanks Cesar Open the message in question. Is there a informational bar across the top that states Outlook Express blocked access to the file? If yes, select Tool > Options > Security tab and uncheck the second box from the top concerning attachments. "Cesar Calderon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29c4e01c465ca$a76ec470$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using Outlook Express,...

How can I sum only amounts that are in BOLD format within a column
Hi! I need to get a total from a worksheet that has hundreds of amounts in it. However, I only need the total of the amounts that were marked with have BOLD font. Please help me I don't have much experience with EXCEL. Thank you very much! W a n d a try this for column D Sub sumbold() x = Cells(Rows.Count, "d").End(xlUp).Row For Each c In Range(Cells(2, 4), Cells(x, 4)) If c.Font.Bold Then mysum = mysum + c Next MsgBox mysum End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wanda" <Wanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89A268A6-...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...

OWA user can only see subject
Hello friends, OWA users are unable to see their mail. Only Subject field is visible, without mail contents(No message is visible). Our outlook is working fine. Any ideas why this is happening and how we can solve this. Regards Guri ...

interchangine catergory and values axis
How do I flip the catergory and value axis around so that the X axis becomes the catergory axis and the Y axis is the value axis? thanks 100gree Hi see: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#SwitchXY -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "100green" <100green@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:95A7DE25-4535-4A48-8E6F-5D07F6DDE90F@microsoft.com... > How do I flip the catergory and value axis around so that the X axis > becomes > the catergory axis and the Y axis is the value axis? > thanks > 100gree Or http://peltiertec...

Can I change the Comment Box arrow connection point?
Is there any way to change the point on a Comment Box where the tail end of the arrow it attached? Until today, all of the arrows in my workbook had been attached to the upper left-hand corner of the Comment Boxes. Today, I noticed that one of them is attached to the upper right-hand corner. I have no idea how that happened, but it seems to indicate that the attachment point can be moved. Can the arrow be attached to the center of the Comment Box so that when it is moved around, the tail always comes from the closest point? Comments have a habit of moving around. To reset all to default po...

Linking to a static library
Hi all, I have a static library. I do not have the code, just the .lib file. I know the functions it houses. How can I link the library to my application using Visual Studio 2005. Regards, Nure call the functions. link with the library. that's it. Serge. http://www.apptranslator.com - Localization tool for your C++ applications <nure123@gmail.com> wrote in message news:313a883c-de8c-4a66-be7d-c9dba4a0fc6c@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I have a static library. I do not have the code, just the .lib file. I > know the functions it houses. How can I li...

PS2007
I was trying to troubleshoot a problem and checking to see if services in SharePoint Central Admin were running. I must have accidently clicked when rolling over the start and stop as I got kicked out of Central Admin and can't get back in. How does one restart if stopped or regain access??? Services generally allow you to stop and restart. Where do I go to restore access. Everything seems to be running ok, but it wont let me access Central Admin in the server. Anybody know how to restore this? Hi Rick. Fear not, thankfully, there is a stsadm command to help start the ...

Can't verify publisher for mf.sys
I've got a multiportSerial inf that uses mf.inf/mf.sys to enumerate x number of serial ports. When I use this inf for my device, Server 2008 complains that "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software". If I say to install the driver software anyway then it will enumerate all my serial ports correctly and it's happy to install the serial driver I have written for the child devices. What do I need to do in order to get the mf.inf/mf.sys portion of my install to work without user interaction? You need to sign your mf.sys file (and mf.cat) w...

can't get the pratice excel spreadsheet to download for training
I can not get the spreadsheet to download in the training session for excell Which training session would that be? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:03:01 -0800, KEEPERS <KEEPERS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can not get the spreadsheet to download in the training session for excell ...