Can't see the number tab when formatting the X axis on a Pivot cha

My x axis has dates like 08/31/07.  I want to change the formatting to
Aug-07.  For some reason when I format the X axis I can't see the "Number"
tab.  I can see it fine for the Y axis or when I format the X axis on a
regular chart, but not the X axis on a pivot chart.  I also tried changing
the formatting on the source data and the source pivot table.  Nothing works
for the pivot chart except changing the source data to text which I don't
want to do because I need them in number format for other calculations.
Please help.
0
Aaron1 (65)

have you set the cell format?
right-click cell>number tab>category:custom
--
Regards,
Linda

"Aaron" wrote:

> My x axis has dates like 08/31/07.  I want to change the formatting to
> Aug-07.  For some reason when I format the X axis I can't see the "Number"
> tab.  I can see it fine for the Y axis or when I format the X axis on a
> regular chart, but not the X axis on a pivot chart.  I also tried changing
> the formatting on the source data and the source pivot table.  Nothing works
> for the pivot chart except changing the source data to text which I don't
> want to do because I need them in number format for other calculations.
> Please help.
0
Linda (109)
8/17/2007 5:46:02 AM
Not sure I understand you?  As noted in my original question I tried
formatting the cells in the source data and the cells in the pivot table.
But the chart is not looking at the formating, it is looking at the value.
It seems that the catagory axis can't be formated by number, the whole tab is
gone.  Not sure where I'm going wrong here.

"linda" wrote:

> have you set the cell format?
> right-click cell>number tab>category:custom
> --
> Regards,
> Linda
>

> "Aaron" wrote:
>
> > My x axis has dates like 08/31/07.  I want to change the formatting to
> > Aug-07.  For some reason when I format the X axis I can't see the "Number"
> > tab.  I can see it fine for the Y axis or when I format the X axis on a
> > regular chart, but not the X axis on a pivot chart.  I also tried changing
> > the formatting on the source data and the source pivot table.  Nothing works
> > for the pivot chart except changing the source data to text which I don't
> > want to do because I need them in number format for other calculations.
> > Please help.
0
Aaron1 (65)

Converting and sorting US dates into European format?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5F7E2.A79C38F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable XPP SP2 Excel 2003 SP2 Hello, I have a long list of dates in US date/time format, ie "11/16/2005 = 11:38:08", that needs to be sorted in date and time order. Preferably, I should also be able to convert this into the European = date/time format of "YYYY-mm-dd hh:mm:sec". How do you do this in the = simplest possible way in Excel? I was thinking that one should possibly first con...

Make a pivot table from an existing pivot table
I'm trying to make a completely new pivot table out of an existing pivot table where the existing table is actually the source data (not the original data table). The problem I have is that this intermediate pivot table has 3 columns of unique values (with over 1000 rows) before we get to the data. I can't just copy it and make a pivot table, or create a mirror sheet that isn't a pivot table because of the blank cells underneath each change in value. I have this: Source Name Attempts Data Mail Joe 1 654 2 700 ...

WMI error ID 80041013 when opening the Directory Service tab
'An error occurred during a call to Windows Management Instrumentatio ID no: 80041013 The System Manager service is running, I have reinstalled WMI, I a not running SP1 for the Operating System but Exchange Server SP1 i installed I have made sure that the Impersonate logon settings are configure correctly and DNS works Any other suggestions ...

Find MAX data in sheet (Cell)
How would one go about finding the cell that contains the MAX info, o say any/all cells that exceeds 8,000 characters/spaces in a Excel page -- confuzedagai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- confuzedagain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2943 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49148 1. Highlight the entire document 2. Select Format->Conditional Formatting 3. Select "Formula Is" 4. Input this formula =LEN(A1)>8000 5. Format with something obvious like green bac...

text date to date format
I have column filled with: 'Apr 3 2005 4:37PM And I need to change it to: 04/03/05 4:37PM How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column? I'm having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric. For example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003". I need to get these sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically. Thanks in advance for your help! you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and put the new format in the new column. ...

Number format #3
Ah, works perfectly. Thanks -- carg ----------------------------------------------------------------------- carg1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1527 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27578 ...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

Conditional format if cell=0 then font colour same as background .
I have linked a cell from another sheet. If the original cell is blank, 0 shows in the linked cell (text would be typed in source cell). To handle this, I conditionally formatted the linked cell, so if it equals zero, the font colour is the same as the background colour of the cell so you can't see the zero But the zero still prints even though it is not showing prior to printing Try the formula =IF(Sheet1!F14="","",Sheet1!F14) in the linked cell. HTH Sandy -- to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Paligap" <Paligap@discu...

Summing cells in pivot tables
I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-click on a cell that I want to add, the formula from that cell gets added. Eventually I run out of characters. Is there a way to switch how the cell gets picked up. I can manually enter the cell addresses that I am trying to sum but that takes forever. Thanks, Ted There are instructions here for adding the Generate GetPivotData button to a toolbar, and toggling the feature on and off: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html Ted wrote: > I have a problem summing cells in a pivot table. When I double-cli...

formating to show quotient and remainder
If if am dividing, and want the answer to display as the quotient and the remainder (not a fraction or decimal) how can I do this without running multiple formulas and concatenating them? For example: I have 70 (seconds) as my number. I want to convert this to minutes to be displayed as 1:10 (or 1.10) - I want the integer 1 and the remainder of 10 both displayed. I have managed to do this by creating a cell to calculate integer (INT), a cell to calculate remainder (MOD) and then another cell to concatenate the two previous. Seems there must be a better way! One way with 70 secon...

Designs in landscape format
Can any subscriber indicate whether Microsoft have produced any design sets that are to be printed in landscape as a multi-page publication. If the answer is in the affirmative, where can they be found? -- David W Allen Internet: http://www.oakleyvillage.co.uk Outgoing mail scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2004 ...

Lookup a range of numbers
Hi, I have a table as follows: (Speed) (Dist) 64k 128k 256k 5 1000 1200 1500 10 1600 1700 1800 15 2000 2100 2200 I'd like to have a formula whereby if I key in a Distance of 4 and a speed of 256k, the active cell will show "1500". I tried to use sumproduct but seems like sumproduct can only be used if the Dist is exactly "5", "10", etc. The only alternative I can think of is to list out ALL the integers for Distance. But, is there an easier way? ...

Refresh pivot chart when info in a cell changes
To all, I am looking for help with a Macro. What I ultimately want to do is refresh a pivot chart when the user makes a selection from a list (in a data validation cell). For example, I am an end user that selects my territory from a "drop down". The pivot chart will update to the information that is directly related to my territory. Thanks in advance for your help. Excel 2007, PivotTable With Table dependent drop-downs instead of data validation drop-downs. With non-event-driven macros. http://www.mediafire.com/file/ygzjqyi2j1x/03_09_10.xlsm ...

Excel tab as windows
Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can enter information in both tabs without having to minimize, maximize, or switch back & forth? Thanks C. Fillmore Hi you could align the windows so you can see both at the same time. But a 'always on top' option does not exist AFAIK -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany surveyorinva wrote: > Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open > another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can > enter in...

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

Number to text conversion ......HELP
Dear Friend.. I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into Text EQ. Result = 2,500.00 converting to .....two thousand five hundred.. Thanks Check http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm at "The Access Web" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Eko Hery" <eko@megaenterprise.com> wrote in message news:BCD8B0CE.1D8%eko@megaenterprise.com... > Dear Friend.. > I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into > Text > > EQ. Result = 2,500.00 con...

Maximum number of characters in a cell
Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 characters? Bill Hi Bill, > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 > characters? A cell can contain about 32000 characters, but Excel will display only about a 1000 of them (depending on font and fontsize). Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much more text. -- HTH, RD ----------------------------------...

How do you change the formatting for envelops in the normal templ.
the envelop paragraph formatting is 1.15 and 10 pt at end - this is not what I want - How do I change it to be single and 0 pts for all documents based on the normal template? Modify (or reset) the Envelope Address style, which by default does not have these characteristics. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "dcluchi" <dcluchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEA62CD4-57AA-4E9F-9D63-3BE505D1FDDD@microsoft.com... > the envelop paragraph formatting is 1.15 and 10 pt at e...

Compare two Sheets with Conditional Formatting #2
I'm going insane I'm trying to compare two sheets using Walkenbach's approach but for some reason when I use it...certain values don't show differences. Example: Sheet 1 (Range Name is Grid) has 18000 on Cell A1 Sheet 2 (Range Name is OldGrid) has 18000 on Cell A2 So if I change Cell A1 on Sheet 1 to 1 it should show me change but no...it just does nothing. However if I type 133...it shows change. Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _ "=COUNTIF(OldGrid,A1)=0" Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 40 Help really appreciate...

How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say)
How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears in a cell. For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4. Is there a formula? =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","")) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "RH" <RH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75B61958-5352-436D-94F1-DD3D79AAE485@microsoft.com... > How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears in > a cell. > > For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4. > > Is there ...

excel pivot trables
I have created an excel workbook 2007 and have saved lotsof pivot tables in each tab. I need to have these spreadsheets in excel 2003 since that is what most of my users have. The problem is that when I save as the excel 2003, the data is saved including the pivot tables. However once a user tries to with the pivot tables and try to modify the pivot tables, the pivot table in 2003 does not work. Thus is there any way to save an excel 2007 spreadsheet with the corresponding pivot tables and have the pivot tables work that they should for an excel 2003 user? Basically h...

Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use
Sometimes Entourage 10.1.4 shows the message: "Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use. A Office program is being used by MYNAME. Your installation exceeds..." It's crazy because I'm the only user with OSX (10.3.2) and Office X is installed only on my Mac!!! It seems that it happens when Entourage run scheduled actions (i.e. Send and Receive). Pls help me. Thanx. -- Buz ...

Combined line-scatter graph with 2 Y-axis messed up
I have a chart in Excel 2007 (under XP sp3) with 2 line (L1 & L2) and 2 scatter series (S1 & S2, representing means of respectively L1 and L2 datapoints). Both L-points are located at last datapoint-position. X-values are formatted as 'Genereal'. Both L1 and S1 are referenced to 1st Y-axis, only L2 to 2nd Y-axis. Here's where the error comes in. When I reference S2 also to Y2, it looks ok until I saved the sheet and reopen it, After reopening, THE CHART IS GONE ! AFTER PREVIEW, IT REAPPEARS BUT THE FORMAT IS TOTALLY MESSED UP ?! Both Y-axes are shrinken and L2 and ...

Custom Roll up and Drill down calculation for Excel Pivot table
Greetings to all - I am currently struggling with a method to apply a custom rollup function for an Excel pivot table. I am trying to calculate a sell through % which is calculated as Sales $/(Sales $ + Ending Inv $). I want to be able to calculate this % at the weekly, monthly, and yearly level. I can successfully add a calculated field which works perfectly when the user has WEEK on the pivot table. However, if the user wishes to remove week and see the Sell Thru % at the Monthly level, then Excel naturally sums the Sell Thru % for each week in the month. This is not an accurat...

HOW TO EXTRACT (or lookup) DATA FROM A PIVOT TABLE
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7032B.0406A590 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! Sheet 1 contains the raw data. Sales and cost of sales for customers.=20 Sheet 2 contains the pivot table that summarizes the data in sheet 1.=20 In Sheet 3(a further summary of the Pivot Table), I would like to put in = the customer name and extract the related sales and cost of sales = numbers from the pivot table. How can I extract the desired information? Regards SJ ------=_NextPart_000_000...