Can I use 'names' in defining a series in a graph

I have successfully used the name feature to name individual cells and ranges
of cells and than have used them in formulas.  However, when I try to use a
name in the definition of a series on a graph, it says there is an invalid
reference.  Am I doing something wrong, or can you not use names in series
definitions?

Thanks for your help.

There are innumerable examples on the internet showing how to use names
as your chart source data. See for example:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/dynamic-charts/

What is probably leading to your error is using just the name, without
referencing its parent worksheet or workbook. For example, the name
ChartData will produce an error by itself, but if you prefix it by the
sheet name, 'Data Sheet'!ChartData.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

dbasmb wrote:
> I have successfully used the name feature to name individual cells and ranges
> of cells and than have used them in formulas.  However, when I try to use a
> name in the definition of a series on a graph, it says there is an invalid
> reference.  Am I doing something wrong, or can you not use names in series
> definitions?
>
> Thanks for your help.
0
Jon

Installing and using Office: MAC 2008 Home and Student Addition
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) My husband recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. He gave me his MacBook Air. Office Home and Student addition was installed on his old computer (MacBook Air), and was loaded on the new computer. I purchased my own copy of Office: MAC 2008 Home and Student and installed it on the MacBook Air but can't use when my husband is using his version. The product keys are obviously different, but when he's writing in Word, I cannot. The message is that two people can not use the program at once who are on the same network. What do I do so ...

VBA_ font name "+mj-lt"
Hi every one, I use .Font.name="+mj-lt" to apply heading and body text font , but later when I check the same font using If .Font.Name = "+mj-lt" Then some code Else debug.print .font.name End If it can't recognize the heading font although it prints the same name and in fact its the same font. Any thoughts? -- Best regards, Edward Hello Edward, I haven't understood your question completely. You can use +mj-lt to set the font name but "+mn-lt" are just representations that PowerPoint stores internal. When you query the f...

Referring to CodeModule Sheet Name
When referring to: With XLDestWB.VBProject.VBComponents("Sheet1").CodeModule is it possible to refer to the code by Sheet1's tab name (e.g. "TabOne") rather than "Sheet1"? If not, how can I determine which Sheet number TabOne is (in VBA)? With XLDestWB.VBProject.VBComponents(worksheets("tabone").codename).CodeModule is one way. tcb wrote: > > When referring to: > > With XLDestWB.VBProject.VBComponents("Sheet1").CodeModule > > is it possible to refer to the code by Sheet1's tab name (e.g. > "Tab...

Word 2008- Save and name with applescript
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a .dot template file that I use daily. I don't have a problem with the rest of the script but i'd like to replace two dialog boxes with text that i've already entered in fields DName and DOB, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to reference or pull the text out of these two text fields in a word 2008 document. Essentially the first two text form fields in the document contain the name and date of birth and i want to turn that into the file name. <br><br>i.e. what i've ...

Can you move a page from one publication to another?
Is there a way to pick up a page from another publisher document and move it into the one you are currently creating? Select all, copy, and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Melis" <Melis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE2DE89E-E052-4A56-9E62-79C8528450D4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to pick up a page from another publisher document and move > it > into the one you are currently creating? ...

How can I have an initial zero in an Excel cell?

Need help with using a bar graph in a report
I have a report that separates information about representatives by manager. I need the graphs to give a quick summary on a few stats from each rep but only show for that manager's team and not all information. For example: Manager A has RepA, RepB, and RepC under him. Each rep has Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 information which needs to be displayed. My goal is to show Manager A with his Reps A,B, and C of their Aux1, 2, and 3. Then, under the next manager Header I want Manager B to show Rep D, E, and F with their Aux1, 2, and 3 information. Etc thru Manager G. Please help... Th...

payables ck batch missing in series post
We have a check batch (GP ver 9) where the post option is gray - and when we go to series post the batch doesn't show up. This batch was previously stuck and we set the batch status back to zero. Now we can't post it. Check batch recovery and see if it's there Patti. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com It is not in batch recovery. "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" wrote: > Check batch recovery and see if it's there Patti. > > Frank Hamelly > MCP-GP, MCT, MVP > East Coas...

How can I shrink a flyer to print two to a page?
I am using Microsoft Publisher and I can't seem to get it to print two whole flyers on one page. I tried using the two page spread option in the view tab- but this just gets a portion of the center twice? How can I get the publisher to do this? CS Flower wrote: > I am using Microsoft Publisher and I can't seem to get it to print > two whole flyers on one page. I tried using the two page spread > option in the view tab- but this just gets a portion of the center > twice? How can I get the publisher to do this? ===================================== What if y...

Can't open database window using shift key...
Hi there, I have an Access database that I distribute to my client on CDROM. The start up options of the database are set so that the database window is not visible to the users. When the database is updgraded the database manager copies it from the CDROM to the relavant PC and then uses the shift key on opening in order to display the database window and link to the tables in the existing back-end. This procedure has been done many many times without a problem... BUT last week he found that holding down the shift key whilst opening the database no longer opened the database window and leave...

Graphing compass directions
I am trying to create weather graphs from the data gathered by my weather station. Wind direction is recorded as one of 16 compass points (NE, SSW, ESE, etc.). I need a method to convert these to compass headings or a way to chart the directions directly. I have tried the IF/THEN statements but these seem to be not able to perform the test 16 times in the one formula. I need this for both Excel-2000 as well as 2002. Thanks a lot. Hi radiowilson, > I am trying to create weather graphs from the data > gathered by my weather station. Wind direction is recorded > as one of 16 com...

Copy sheet in Excel
Hi Wonder if anyone of you encounter this problem before? When I try to copy worksheet in a workbook, the following prompt comes up, indicating name conflict. "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'aaaa', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? - To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes - To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box" When I clicked yes, another prompt comes up indicating ...

how to find used region with macro
Hi, sorry if this obvious or has been asked recently. I have a macro that goes through all rows and all columns in a selection. If a row or a column is hidden, the font of that row or column is changed. A friend wants to use the macro in a Workbook with many sheets. He asked if I could change it so that he does not need to do a selection on every sheet before he runs it. I imagine that a nested loop through all rows and all columns will take a long time? I�ve tried to figure out how to get the range defined by the last row and the last column filled with data. First I tried with Current...

How do I setup a name, home address and phone to automatically at.
when I used Outlook Express I had setup a name, home address and phone number that automatically appeared on my outgoing email. How do I setup the same for "Outlook" email which I recently purchased with Office 2003 Professional? Set it up in your signature, it's in the tools/options of Outlook. -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Robert C. Sollars" wrote: > when I used Outlook Express I had setup a name, home address and phone numb...

Parameter Query using date ranges
I am creating a parameter query where I want to pull data between 2 dates. In the date criteria of my query, if I write between #01/01/2008# and #01/31/2008# +1, I will get all data for January. If I use a form to enter the dates and have Between [Forms]![autoexec]![start] And [Forms]![autoexec]![end] +1 in the date criteria, I get an error. Does anyone know what I should put in the criteria to make the query work? Are you entering your dates as m/d/y? What happens if you try: DateAdd("d", 1, [Forms]![autoexec]![end]) Is the form open? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access...

Can't see printers in directory
Hello, The shared and network printers aren't showing up in the directories of the workstations. On XP machines, the network printer does show, but no shared printers. On Windows 7, no printers show. I need to get this resolved. Thanks for any help and God Bless, Mark A. Sam Hello Mark, Which directories are you talking about? How did you add the printers to the machines? Please describe some more details. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, ...

Suggestion for using CStringArray with Unicode, mulit-byte, ATL &
Hi, I couldn't find the "development" group so i chose this one. I am trying to bring some code that has the CStringArray in it from a Multi-Byte project into a Unicode project and I keep getting errors I cannot resolve. Scenario: Project type: DLL Use MCF: Shared DLL Use ATL: Not using ATL Min CRT Use in ATL: No Char set: Unicode added afxcoll.h to stdafx.h as suggested elsewhere #include <afxcoll.h> #include "resource.h" #include <atlbase.h> #include <atlcom.h> I get the following error; Error 247 error LNK2005: _DllMain@12 already defined in Te...

Please Help...I can not send/receive or delete email on outlook 2000
It gives an the following errors" Error has been detected in the file C:|Windoews\Outlook.pst. quit all mail applications and then use Inbox Repair tool." I spent hours tring to find a solution on the support section. Couldn't find it.. Thank you so much for help.. What size is yr *.pst? OL prior to 2003 can have problems when greater than 1.7gb The inbox repair tool is scanpst.exe If oversize; http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088 David "Daniel" <dqiab@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:05a401c3676d$0ef74c50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > It gives an the follow...

line graph-need to pick up dates as values for the x axis?
How do you get a line graph to pick up and show dates as the values on the x axis, not starting at zero nor at the first of the month. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for x-axis data to be transferred to the x- axis. I did put the dates into a row of cells and highlight them. i am using MS office 2000. Go to Source Data on the Chart menu. On the Series tab, select the series, then click in the XValues box, clear it if necessary, and select the range that contains your dates. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions ht...

Can you still run Clip Gallery in Publisher 2003?
I just recently upgraded from Publisher 2000 to 2003, and now I can't figure out how to use Clip Gallery. I gave up & copied my clip gallery files to my hard drive, and ran Clip Organizer, but none of the keywords "stuck", so I can't search for clips using keywords anymore. I'm not real keen on searching thru thousands of thumbnails for an appropriate clip, so for now I'm finding my clips in Home Publisher, then copying and pasting into my Publisher 2003 documents. Publisher 2003 help makes a reference to still being able to run Clip Gallery, but gives no i...

Can't upgrade HQ to 2.00
I try to upgrade HQ database from 1.3 reresh to 2.00 but I have Error "An error occurred while attempting ti upgrade the database 'DF_Configuration_SoftwareValidation1' is not a constraint " How should I do? Help me plz. >_<" -- TOY2TOY ...

Using Access 2003 for Inventory
I plan to setup our inventory system in the warehouse using Access 2003. Now, what I would like it to do (and it has been a long time since I have tried to do anything with access so I don't remember if this is possible or not) is automatically create a report that will tell me when I am low on equipment and possibly e-mail it to me and my supervisor. I'd also like to do the samething so with our drop material (cables, ground blocks, etc.) and have it e-mail to the owner so that he can place an order. The system, ideally, will also allow me to view what our technicians have on ...

Believe it...You can be rich with only $910 investment !!!
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi,</P> <P>If anyone interested to find out what can $910 do for you, please go to below URL to view the online presenation.</P> <P><A href="http://thegloballink.biz/ui2u.html">http://thegloballink.biz/ui2u.html</A></P> <P>You won't regret if you view the presentation.</P> <P>Thanks</P> <P>Elvin Loh</P> <P><A href...

Can't Import old files
I have a system crash and had to re-install XP. My Outlook express files are on a other drive. I had that because of other experience. That worked verry good. But now i want to import my old emails and i can't get them!! I can't acces the files. I have already looked into the help in different sites but no sollution yet. I cant copy,rename, the files. I tried to get them back with DBxpress (recover program) but also that program can't open the files. It look like that the files are protected with a NO write/read function. I can deleted the files but thats not a option till i ha...

How can I use Outlook in two computers (my PC and my laptop)? I o.
How can I use Outlook in two computers (my PC and my laptop)? I can only see my incoming emails in my PC, but not in my laptop; even though I have configured Outlook in both computersto received the incoming emails to my university account. "osiris" <osiris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C5ACFC5-3859-4FB0-BC20-3AC7A9B5F6A3@microsoft.com... > How can I use Outlook in two computers (my PC and my laptop)? I can only > see > my incoming emails in my PC, but not in my laptop; even though I have > configured Outlook in both computersto received th...