Can Excel use addresses to create points on a Map?

I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up
on a map of California/U.S.A.  I was wondering if anyone has done that and
can help me.
0
Nate (59)

Hi,

Excel does not have such a feature.

--
Sorry,
Shane Devenshire

"Nate" wrote:

> I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show up
> on a map of California/U.S.A.  I was wondering if anyone has done that and
> can help me.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Excel does not have such a feature.

Sure it does. XY (Scatter) Chart, using a map of the area as a picture
Background. Set the axis scale maxima and minima to match the
background's known corners, and plot the locations as points.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

You can export your Excel based addresses to GoogleEarth or GoogleMap and
produce a professional looking map.

JuiceAnalytics has a very nice Excel workbook that provides tools to get the
latitudes and longitudes of your addresses, create a Keyhole Markup Language
(KML) file (KML is map version of XML), then open GoogleEarth and display
your addresses in GoogleEarth.

Here's the link to Juice's free workbook.

http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/2006/04/excel-geocoding-tool-v2/

You'll need access to a geocode service. I use Yahoo's. It's free, you just
need to have a User ID.

Also, you'll need to have GoogleEarth or GoogleMap on your PC. Also free.

With GoogleEarth of GoogleMap you can make custom maps by turning map
features on/off, and adjusting zoom level. If needed, you can copy/paste
your GoogleEarth map back into Excel or include a link to the real map.

The marriage of Excel for data handling and GoogleEarth/Map for map display
makes a lot of sense. Why try to digitize a crude map in Excel when you can
use a powerful tool like GoogleEarth for your maps?

Kelly O'Day

http://processtrends.com

"Nate" <Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a Graph from a bunch of addresses and have them show
>up
> on a map of California/U.S.A.  I was wondering if anyone has done that and
> can help me.

0
dkod (205)
9/27/2007 2:49:32 PM
Excel had this feature in the 1997 version, a mapping feature which it
removed from the program.  You can fake it but nevertheless, this feature has
been removed and is no longer included.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>
> >Excel does not have such a feature.
>
> Sure it does. XY (Scatter) Chart, using a map of the area as a picture
> Background. Set the axis scale maxima and minima to match the
> background's known corners, and plot the locations as points.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>Excel had this feature in the 1997 version, a mapping feature which it
>removed from the program.  You can fake it but nevertheless, this feature has
>been removed and is no longer included.

I'm not referring to the Microsoft Map thematic mapping feature, that
was removed after (I think) MS developed it as a separate application
called MapPoint. I'm talking about a scatter graph on a picture.

(I've also done it with bubble graphs, but that's less convenient as
there is no easy way to make the bubble radius scale properly)

Are you saying that Excel no longer supports the use of pictures as
backgrounds to the plot area?

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> ShaneDevenshire <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>
>>Excel had this feature in the 1997 version, a mapping feature which it
>>removed from the program.  You can fake it but nevertheless, this feature
>>has
>>been removed and is no longer included.

> I'm not referring to the Microsoft Map thematic mapping feature, that was
> removed after (I think) MS developed it as a separate application called
> MapPoint. I'm talking about a scatter graph on a picture.
> Are you saying that Excel no longer supports the use of pictures as
> backgrounds to the plot area?

0
David

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Where can I download 'USBSTOR.SYS' file
I bought a new IPod and as I am giong through the New Hardware Wizard, I receive the error message...."The file 'USBSTOR.SYS' on Windows XP Profesional Service Pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK." I don't where I can find this file. Can I download it from Microsoft's web site? On 18-01-10 02:48, Kim M Wagie wrote: > I bought a new IPod and as I am giong through the New Hardware Wizard, I > receive the error message...."The file 'USBSTOR.SYS' on Windows XP > Profesional Service Pack 2 CD is need...

invalid email address

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

using the journal on outlook

Break Even Point
Hello, Is there a formula to calculate a break even point? Scenario: Rate ranges are 500 lbs at $10, 1000 lbs @ $5, 2000 lbs @ $2.5, etc. Eg: Shipper has load that weighs 990 lbs. What is the break even point to move the load forward into the next cheaper range. Hope that makes sense. Any help appreciated. "Break even" generally implies two opposing trends. Where they meet is the 'break even' point. You have supplied only one 'trend'. Can you expand on the problem? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove...

How to create an autonumber field?

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook