Business Case Charting

15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like to
plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart,
draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated times
to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Hageman
> 15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like
> plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart,
> draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
> comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated
> times
> to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Hi Phil,

I am not sure that you will necessarily get a "normal curve".  I might be
inclined just to plot a histogram.

Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram.

Just food for thought.

Regards,
Kevin

0
nospam710 (114)
12/17/2004 3:08:21 AM
I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.

-  Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

++++++++++++++++++

"Kevin H. Stecyk" <nospam@no123spam.com> wrote in message
> Phil Hageman
>> 15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like
>> plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the
>> chart,
>> draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
>> comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated
>> times
>> to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I am not sure that you will necessarily get a "normal curve".  I might be
> inclined just to plot a histogram.
>
> Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram.
>
> Just food for thought.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

0
middleton1 (108)
12/17/2004 6:45:54 AM
Michael R Middleton wrote...
>I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
>you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
>worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
>histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.
>
> -  Mike
>
> www.mikemiddleton.com

Hi Mike,

Thank you for commenting.  I found your website very interesting and have
bookmarked it.

Best regards,
Kevin

0
nospam710 (114)
12/17/2004 7:23:26 AM
Mike and Kevin,
Thanks for your replies - I'll set up a test case and see if the histogram,
plus a mean and standard deviation provide the consensus I'm looking for.
FYI, John Walkenback discribes a normal distribution/histogram combination
chart  in his book "Excel Charts" (pg. 281),  but he's a little sketchie on
its construction.  This may a good model, but will take some work to figure
out.
Regards,
Phil

"Kevin H. Stecyk" wrote:

> Michael R Middleton wrote...
> >I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
> >you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
> >worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
> >histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.
> >
> > -  Mike
> >
> > www.mikemiddleton.com
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you for commenting.  I found your website very interesting and have
> bookmarked it.
>
> Best regards,
> Kevin

How do a put two pies (series) in one chart
I've been trying to put 2 pies of comparable data (1 for men and 1 for women) on a single chart but despite trying to use the secondary access, I can't seem to get both pies (either side by side or one above the other) Hi, The pie chart will not produce two separate pies within a single chart. In order to do this you will need to create 2 separate chartobjects and either arrange them on the worksheet or embed them within an empty chart sheet. To create an empty chart sheet just place cursor in an empty area of the worksheet and press F11. To embed chart objects within the chart ...

Using images in bar charts
I know there must be an easy way to do this... I need to use an image of a thermometer, where the red bar in the thermometer replaces the typical bar in the bar chart. I've searched on Google, and found a couple of things, but they're technically beyond my capability! I know you can use a graphic in Excel, but doesn't the graphic end up being distorted? I will continue experimenting and searching for the right answer, but I thought I'd tap into this community and see if I get an easy answer. Try Pope's wonderful site. Search down the list and you will see his t...

break a slice up in my pie chart into sub-catagories
I need to have a sub-catagories (details) for each main slice of pie. Is there a way of doing that in excel? Hi, These may help you out. http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 http://www.andypope.info/charts/pies.htm Cheers Andy aliann wrote: > I need to have a sub-catagories (details) for each main slice of pie. Is > there a way of doing that in excel? > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Determine if data label overlaps chart title?
Hello again, all you experts. I now have run into a new issue when generating charts via VBA. I add data labels only if the datapoint belongs to a particular company. Sometimes, the data label is on the last (and highest) point on a distribution curve. It then runs into the title of the chart. I've been trying to capture this in code but am at a loss. I can't find any property of the data label that tells me its top. I haven't even gotten to trying to compare this with the bottom of the chart title! What I want to do is change the data label's position to bottom i...

Labels on a chart
I have a Column Chart where I am charting values in column E. E2 contains the results of =C2/D2, E3 contains the results of = C3/D3, etc. These values are displayed above each of the columns in the chart. What I need to do is also display the value contained in C2 below the column repersenting the result of =c2/D2, I need the value in C3 below the column representing the result of =C3/D3, and so on. How can I get this accomplished? Thank you very much for any insight. Hi Kevin, If you can live with the values of columns C and D being positioned just within the plotarea above the x a...

how to make the axis of charts to start at my lowest value(data)?
actually, i am making a chart with values starting at 40 to 85. when i plot the chart, it is located somewhere in the middle upto the end because excel tries to plot 0 to 40 on my x axis which i do not want. what i want is that the x-axis of my chart should start at 40 then probably by interval of five upto 85. also my y-axis to start at 140 upto ~180. here is my data. x y 72 160 54 149 78 152 84 171 62 153 57 158 49 142 68 164 75 166 56 150 60 160 50 141 80 166 45 136 52 129 55 159 pls help. thanks. Hi, Rightclick on the X-axis --> "Format Axis" -...

Acces to Excel automation : chart problem
Good afternoon, This is my first post so apologies if i don't observe any etiquette. I'm coding Access to Excel to create an xls file with a sheet of figures and a chart embedded on the sheet. I've got most everything going fine BUT I can't get the X Category Axis set up on the graph. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Here's the code: 'Create the first Chart - month to month figures Dim chart1 As ChartObject Set chart1 = xlSheet.ChartObjects.Add(10, 200, 920, 300) chart1.Chart.chartwizard _ Source:=xlSheet.Range("D3:e14"), _ ...

business contact manager #21
BCM not loading forms. Receiving error massages Exception for HRESULT:0xB9B20009 and Can't move focus to the ocntrol because it is invisible not enabled or if a type that is not enabled does not accept the focus. Can anyone help ...

Copy charts from 1 workbook to another
I have created a macro which copies some charts from one workbook to another. It has to repeat this for several tabs of the workbook. I need to know if i need to create an object to copy n paste these charts or can it be done without an object. A quick reply is appreciated. I believe you would just need to create a worksheet variable combined with a worksheet loop to copy all of the charts. If I'm understanding your question correctly, something like this should hopefully work: Sub CopyCharts() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim cht As ChartObject For Each wks In Worksheets ...

Weekend dates show on chart, not on spreadsheet
I am collecting data for workdays, so the weekend dates do not show on the spreadsheet. When I create the chart, the weekend dates show. How do I eliminate them from the chart Thanks, Carole - Right click on the chart, choose Chart Type from the pop up menu, and make sure it's a Line chart not a Scatter chart. Then right click again, this time choose Chart Options, and on the Axes tab, change Automatic to Category. Now you'll only have an axis tick where you have a date in your data table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and...

Conditional Formatting in charts?
I want to make the highest value in a chart display BOLD type. I know how to do this in a group of cells using conditional formatting -- =MAX($C$14:$C$23), then set font to bold. But conditional formatting doesn't work on a pivot table once it's refreshed. My chart was created from a pivot table. Is there any way to do this without creating a new chart from scratch? ...

organisation charts in excel spreadsheets
Is it possible to put spreadsheet cell references into a staff organisation chart so that if, say, the salary or grade in the chart is changed it updates a separate spreadsheet showing total staff costs. -- Tony No. I've encountered the same problem. Not even in MS Visio is there a solution for this. It's a re-typing job. "Tony" wrote: > Is it possible to put spreadsheet cell references into a staff organisation > chart so that if, say, the salary or grade in the chart is changed it updates > a separate spreadsheet showing total staff costs. > -- >...

Line chart Axis labels problem
Hi Trying to produce a chart with wizard from two columns of data: Year 2002 2003 2000 ...

Date and Time Chart
I have data that consists of a due time, a submitted time, and 3 types of job categories. Essentially, what I would like to have is the date along the x axis, the jobs on the primary axis, a secondary axis with times, a bar chart with the types of jobs and the due times and submitted times to be trend lines in the same graph. Is this possible? If so, what is the best way possible to achieve this? Thank you! You should be able to find something here that helps. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html "KC8DCN" <KC8DCN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Excel Chart in Word
I have a Word 2000 document with some embedded Excel (2000) charts. The charts themselves are quite small, and so use a very small font (Gill Sans Light @ 5pt). When I print the document, one of the charts looks great, but the others seem to use the wrong font (it looks like Arial). Even if I copy the "good" chart, the copy suffers from the same problem as the others. This is not specific to one machine (a colleague has replicated the problem), nor to one printer (I can get the same result when printing to PDF). My colleague did manage to get all the charts to come out correctly af...

Chart features unavailable
I installed Excel 2007. In some workbooks that I used in 2003, the charting features are no longer available. I can't create new charts, nor access old ones. The old ones can be viewed but the formatting can not be changed. In new workbooks, the features are available. ...

Capture chart elements in VB
Is there anyway, if I have an existing chart that is formatted already, to capture the all elements of that chart in VB (by recording a macro perhaps)? Have a spreadsheet that contains hundreds of charts, all of which are the same format, but due to non-adjacent data sources and multiple chart types within one chart, it's very tempermental - need to standardize. Also, is there a list contained within a spreadsheet of all components of that spreadsheet? Primarily trying to capture the chart names to utilize in VB coding without having to start recording a macro and then selecting ea...

Charting a calculated number using the source data as the axis
I would like to chart the result of a series of calculations. I am calculating net debt to ebitda and the result will be 2.0, 2.5. etc. I wish to plot the result but show the original numbers used for the axis. In other words I want net debt to be one axis and ebitda the other with a line representing the result of net debt / ebitda (2.0, 3.0, etc.). Thanks for assistance. Select your data range including your "net debt" and "ebitda" columns, then Insert Chart, and use the XY chart type. -- David Biddulph "Ebreese" <Ebreese@discussions.microsoft.com&...

How to insert a symbol in a chart legend?
I tried to insert Alpha in a chart legend using Excel, but I did not find a way. Does anybody know how to do it? I am using Excel 2002. Thanks. SWang If you select a letter in the cell used for the legend and format it with Symbol, the legend does not change because formatting does not get carried over. Nor can you format a single character in the legend. BUT is you go to the cell that is used for the legend and use Insert|Symbol to get Greek letters then the legend reflects the change. I'm using XL2003; I know that XL2002 has Insert | Symbol but with older versions you may need t...

POP3 (INCOMING MAIL NOT WORKING) Microsoft small business 2007
Hi I am having a promblem with Microsoft Small Business 2007 OUTLOOK not getting INCOMING MAIL .It was working Perfect just stopped with no Error .I did confirm with my ISP if there server was down or any Changes .I even delete the Accounts and restarted the Computer and recreate the New Accounts but still .I check my Firewall and Exception as well iu even Uninstall my Antivirus as well was thinking that was causing from the latest Update for some Reason .Kindly someone can Advice me ? Thanks "Veeshal" <Veeshal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Business Unit Migration
I'm trying to move to a new business unit structure due to an acquisition and reorganization within our company. In testing this, I noticed that I can move a user (who can only view their own stuff) to a new business unit, but their objects (Accounts, Leads, Opportunities, etc.) don't follow them to the new business unit. So, the user can see the objects they own, but their manager (who can see all objects within a business unit) cannot. This behavior continues even after migrating the business unit manager's account to the new business unit. In looking at the database structure, ...

How do I set up a Pareto chart in Excel?
It would be useful if I could display some information in a Pareto chart. Excell dosn't seem ot offer this option. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Paul, This site described the process: http://www.isixsigma.com/offsite.asp?A=Fr&Url=http://gsep.pepperdine.edu/~fmadjidi/Stats/pareto.html ---------------------------- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Paul" wrote: > It would be useful if I could display some information in a Pareto chart. > Excell dosn't seem ot offer this option. > > Can anyone point me in the right direction? ...

updating chart using edit query
Hi I import a column of date into column A which is linked to a chart. When I update the column of data the chart updates automatically. Great! Except not all columns of data I import have the same number of items. So I am forever adjusting the range the chart refers to by clicking the line on the chart and then pulling the handle on the blue box that surrounds the cells from the previous data range (eg. A1:A25, and getting the blue box to just surround the new data range (eg. A1:A20). Can I get the chart to recognise that I want it to reflect only cells with data in them (e.g. A1...

Leader Lines
Help! Is there any way to use automatic leader lines to the data labels with stacked column charts??? Thanks! Hi, Pie charts are the only ones with built-in leader lines. Stack column charts only have the option of positioning the labels Top, Middle or bottom of column. Are you manually moving the data labels? I guess, as long as the chart is not 3d, you could fake the leader lines using dummy xy scatter series. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "suejay" <suejay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C94F1831-B95B-4F...