Builtin chart type internationalization

Hi,
My VB program uses Excel's built in custom type chart
called Smooth Lines. I use the following code to call it:

Excel.ActiveChart.ApplyCustomType ChartType:=xlBuiltIn,
TypeName:="Smooth Lines"

This works fine in an English version Excel but when you
have a German Excel it causes an error and says that the
type name is not applicable. The reason for this is
because the German version of Excel calls the Smooth
Lines as Weiche Linien and if I replace the Smooth Lines
type name with Weiche Linien, it works.

The only solution I could come up with are either:
1. Create my chart with all the properties of Smooth
Lines chart. The chart I created has all the properties
of Smooth Lines except the width is a little off. This is
basically what I have in my VB program:
With .ActiveChart
            .ChartType = xlLine
            .BarShape = xlBox
            .DepthPercent = 100
            .DisplayBlanksAs = xlNotPlotted
            .GapDepth = 150
            .HasDataTable = False
            .HasLegend = True
            .HasPivotFields = False
            .HasTitle = False
            .PlotVisibleOnly = True
            .PlotBy = xlRows
            .ProtectData = False
            .ProtectFormatting = False
            .ProtectGoalSeek = False
            .ProtectSelection = False
            .SizeWithWindow = False
            .Visible = xlSheetVisible
            .WallsAndGridlines2D = False
        End With

        With .ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
            If .HasMajorGridlines Then
                .MajorGridlines.Border.ColorIndex = 2
            End If
        End With
        .ActiveChart.Axes(xlCategory).CategoryType =
xlCategoryScale
        .ActiveChart.Axes
(xlCategory).AxisBetweenCategories = False

This is not a bad alternative to me but a little
complicated. If I want to use another built in custom
type, I would have to find out all the properties and
compare the physical attributes to my new chart.

2. The second alternative is to open the Smooth Lines
chart and save is as a user defined chart (xlusrgal.xls)
but this will overwrite the user's existing xlusrgal.xls
file and I don't want to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Thank you very
much!!

0
anonymous (74722)

If you are already shipping a workbook as part of your application, you
could include a chart made from the 'Smooth Lines' format inside the
workbook, then copy it and paste special > Formats to the new chart.

Personally though, I'd create the chart based on the closest standard
chart type (i.e. one of the xlChartStyle constants), then change
whichever properties needed changing.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

Thanks! That seems to work really good. The closest to
Smooth Lines is xlLineMarkers and I just changed a couple
of the properties and both charts look identical now.

0
anonymous (74722)

copy and pasting dynamic charts
Is it possible to copy and paste a dynamic chart to reflect a differant data range without having to difine names to reflect the new data series. Cal If you don't define new data, the chart can only display the old data. One thing you could do is open a copy of the workbook, and paste the new data (use paste special-values) on top of the old. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Cal@tech-etch wrote: > Is it possible to copy and paste a dynamic chart to reflect a differant data &...

How do i get a chart showing the demographics of a country?
I have population data both male and female broken down by 22 age groups. I need to plot the demography (like in Geography) showing one one side male and the numbers in that age range and similarly female on the other side Hi, Have a look at these explanations. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/tornado/index.html Cheers Andy april2774 wrote: > I have population data both male and female broken down by 22 age groups. I > need to plot the demography (like in Geography) showing one one side male and > the numbers in that...

merging two worksheets into one pivot chart
I�m trying to merge to worksheets into one pivot chart. But i someho don�t get to choose which fields I can put where in the table. If I us the multiple consolidated option the wrong items are put on th horizontal axis. What am i doing wrong -- Kirstyko ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kirstykop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38861 You're not doing anything wrong. If you create a Pivot Table from multiple consolidation ranges, a...

Bubble Charts #5
Hi, I have created a bubble chart in excel. I would like the individual bubbles to have different colours and also for them to have labels that are different to the data used to size them (ie they are sized on size of customer, however, I would like the name of the customer to show next to the bubble) If you have a single series, you can double click on it and on the Options tab, choose Vary Colors by Point. Otherwise, you can select individual points (single click to select the series, another single click to select the point, then double click to format each with a different colo...

chart #4
All, With VBA I'm making a chart sheet. This chart sheet is than viewed by the user. I have protected this sheet, so he can make no changes. I have also set some settings for the graph options: Application.ShowChartTipNames = False Application.ShowChartTipValues = False Now I notice that you can still select the different parts of the graph. Is it possible to switch this off? I also would like to add a button on this chart sheet. I tried this with: ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(869189.25, 125211.75, 395520.75, 289965).Select ActiveChart.Shapes("Button 1").Select ...

visually rendering tabular data as a gannt chart
Hello, I have a table in MS Access with data that i'd like to programmatically translate into a gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. I presume I'll have to use Visio VBA to accomplish this but it would be my first foray into Visio automation so I'm trying to get an idea of just how much work it might take and any other helpful insights. My Access table would have the following fields: Month 1 Month 2 Name 1 Name 2 Number Comment I'd like to programmatically loop through this table and produce a gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010. The Visio diagram would already h...

Two Data Sets: Stacked Column Chart
How do I show two years side-by-side in a stacked column chart? I want to compare two "stacked" columns each month (one for each year). I can create one showing each month for ONE year but I want to add another year in another stacked column for each month. Can this be done? Yes, it can be done. It just takes some careful arrangement of data. See Jon Peltier's excellent site on charting: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ (depending on your browser, you may need to scroll down a bit to get to beginning of article) -- Best Regards, Luke ...

charts in Reports 04-24-10
access 2007, in design view of a report i added a chart, but it isnt able to cope with the amount of data so throws up a few errors then the chart is blank, so i managed to create a pivot chart and added the form to my report, this seems to work much better except in print preview, the pivot chart in the report shows boxes with drop filter fields here etc and horrible gray boxes for date and sums. can these pivot charts be altered to look better?? i managed to find the solution i was looking for not long after raising this post, i needed to edit the show/hide properties for the p...

Picture control with icon type
Hi, I would like to add a picture control with a type of icon to a dialog My problem is that I need an icon with a large size (96x96). And although I defined a new size of an icon, the dialog doesn't recongnize it, and it gives me an empty icon. If I make the picture with a size of 32x32, it displayed OK. Is there any limitation of the icon size attached to a picture resource ? Yoav. >I would like to add a picture control with a type of icon to a dialog >My problem is that I need an icon with a large size (96x96). >And although I defined a new size of an icon, the dialog doe...

How do I get consecutive numbers without typing them in manually
Enter 1 in a cell, 2 in a second, select them both, then drag and copy down. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:128A558A-DCA4-42D8-ABE1-1AE97C79339E@microsoft.com... > ...

I want to type a poem and print it
I am very computer/internet retarded PLEASE help me I know that I have the programs to do what I want but feel CRAZY b/c I cant figure out the simple stuff. All I want to do is Type up a poem and print it out. I have Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsft Excell.... Please Help Start up MSWord and start typing. Remember to save (File|SaveAs) your poem. pualei28 wrote: > > I am very computer/internet retarded PLEASE help me I know that I have > the programs to do what I want but feel CRAZY b/c I cant figure out the > simple stuff. All I want to do is Type up a ...

How to Get Control Type from Window Handler
Dear All, How can I get the Control Type (i.e. Button, Edit, ComboBox, ... etc) from a Window Handle, which returned from GetDlgItem(ID)? Many Thx Marco Marco, You might want to check ::GetClassName. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Marco Hung" <marco@xmlhk.com> a �crit dans le message de news:eqXx4$NLEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Dear All, > > How can I get the Control Type (i.e. Button, Edit, ComboBox, ... etc) from a > Window Handle, which returned from GetDlgItem(ID)? > > Many Thx > Marco > > ...

converting chart to spreadsheet?
how can i revert back to my spreadsheet from a chart? thanks You mean you have a chart but don't have the data it was created from? This article in the Microsoft knowledge base describes a macro that will extract data from a chart. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137016 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "excel chart" <excel chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E415558-89B6-457B-A340-2A8CE2BA5521@microsoft.com... > how can i revert back to my s...

XY Charts
On my Excel sheet I have the following: 1 st br pa 2 23.5 3 25.3 4 25.5 25 24 5 26.1 6 28.5 On one chart, would like to see points and lines as follows with the x axis 1-6 and y axis from 23 to 30 and for "st" a line from 25.3 to 25.5 to 28.5: for "br" 23.5 to 25 and for "pa" 24 to 26.1. This is a sample of height measurements for three grandsons taken a various time but not equivalent in age (above in months). When I select an XY scatter chart I get restricted to ...

Truncated X Axis Labels in Line Chart
I have a worksheet made up of 12 sheets of charts and 2 sheets of data. 6 of the charts read data from sheet 1. 6 of the charts read data from sheet 2. For some reason, all the charts related to sheet 1 display the complete x axis label eg. 2x12, 2x24, 2x32 etc. All the charts related to sheet 2 truncate the label. For example: 2x12 displays as 2x1 2x24 displays as 2x2 2x32 displays as 2x3 I have checked my formats and they are the same between the two data sheets. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? Thanks Would smaller font help? I've had truncated labels when I have ...

Insert text in Chart object
Hi, How do I insert text labels within Chart objects ? Thanks.. Regards, Adrian Hi, Manually: select chart ad simply type some text. When you it enter a textbox will be added. VBA: Sub y() Dim objX As Shape Set objX = ActiveChart.Shapes. _ AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 1, 1, 70, 15) objX.TextFrame.Characters.Text = "Hello World" End Sub Cheers Adrian wrote: > Hi, > > How do I insert text labels within Chart objects ? Thanks.. > > Regards, > Adrian > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.in...

Pivot Chart won't refresh in Excel 2007
In Excel 2007.....Don't know if this is a bug or if I'm not doing something on my end, but..... I have a pivot table from which I've created a pivot chart. When I filter the pivot table, the chart updates beautifully. When I try to filter again - back to the full data set, by selecting "(Select All)" in the filter list, the chart does NOT update/refresh. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

drop menu for charts
1. Create a summary table of BOH by reset date with total inventory (BOH) by week with a count of stores on each date and totals at the bottom 2. Format data cells BLUE if Value is greater than 73,000. Use formatting to do this, don't hunt, find and color. 3. On a separate sheet, create a tool with a drop down box to select a given reset week and populate a small table with just the data for the selected week. 4. Graph the data for the selected week. I have 1 & 2 but not sure how to complete 3 & 4. 3) Under View - Toolbars, select the Forms toolbar. Now create a com...

Multiple Plot areas in one chart area
I have a multiple line chart that uses both vertical axises where the range changes regularly for each series. I set both axises to the desired setting so that one line (the one that used the left axis) is always on top of the other (right axis). But as soon as I change the source data, the lines go back to overlapping. Is there a way to have one line chart always be on top of the other so that they aren't touching regardless of ranges? I thought of having multiple plot areas within one chart but i didn't see any options for that. thanks in advance. Zac - You could use a macro t...

Source of Pie Charts using Loops
I want to run a loop which will set the data source of all piecharts i a single worksheets. Source of Chart1 is in Cells(5,3) and Cells(5,4) Source of Chart2 is in next row and same coloumn. There are 30 charts and I want to run a loop which will set the source -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Without any error checking: dim rng as range dim i as integer with activesheet set rng = .range(.cells(5,3),.cells(5,4)) for i=1 to .chartobjects.count .chartobjects(i).chart.setsourcedata _ source:=rng.offset(i-1,0) next end with - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Link embedded chart to a commandbutton?
I have a embedded chart which I wish to show the chart when I press a commandButton and hide the chart when I press either the same button or another one. -- Bob Hi, The basic code would be, which will toggle visibility of first chartobject on sheet. Sub Button2_Click() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Visible = Not ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Visible End Sub Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F16B6F66-95AB-4C12-9B21-B5513FB1FDEE@microsoft.com... >I have a embedded...

Disappearing chart legend
I have an Excel chart. Originally it was a column chart with two data series, comparing averages from two different data populations. Recently I added a third series which put a dotted horizontal line across the column chart to show the overall average. When I added that horizontal line I named it "Overall Average = [x]" and that name immediately showed up in the chart legend at the bottom. Which was great. The way this project works is: All of the data for the chart is in a separate worksheet called "Data." I wipe out all the data and save the workbook to be used as a te...

charting locations over time instead of numbers
I am new to charts in Excel. But nothing I have found leads me to believe the following is possible for Excel, hence the question. My three variables are: location, date, and mission number (two letters followed by a four digit number in a single cell). All three variables are related in my worksheet by row, with column headers across the top of the worksheet. For my chart, I want to have the various locations displayed vertically on the side of the chart on the y axis, with the associated date displayed horizontally across the x axis of the chart. I'd like to have the mission ...

Standard Deviation Chart
Excel 2007 Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation chart in Excel? --Tom You can calculate standard deviations, and you can chart numbers. What precisely is a "standard deviation chart"? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message news:e7ttn3ksJHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Excel 2007 > > Just out of curiosity, is there a way to generate a standard deviation > chart in Excel? ...

Moving Data Range in Chart
I have a spreadsheet that I continually add data to. I have a chart based on the data. My problem is I want the chart to only show the last 5 data points entered in the spreadsheet and continue to do so ass I add more data. Example Data: LOT NUMBER DATA 1 13 2 12 3 14 4 12 5 13 6 15 As I add data I want the chart to show only the last 5 entries. Is there a simple way to do this? Peter: This is pretty ...