Bubble Charts #5

Hi,

I have created a bubble chart in excel. I would like the individual bubbles
to have different colours and also for them to have labels that are different
to the data used to size them (ie they are sized on size of customer,
however, I would like the name of the customer to show next to the bubble)

0
jenna (9)

If you have a single series, you can double click on it and on the Options
tab, choose Vary Colors by Point. Otherwise, you can select individual
points (single click to select the series, another single click to select
the point, then double click to format each with a different color). To
apply custom labels to the points, you could apply default labels and edit
the text of each (again, two single clicks to select the individual label,
then edit its text), or you can use one of these free utilities to use a
separate worksheet range for the labels:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Jenna" <Jenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have created a bubble chart in excel. I would like the individual
> bubbles
> to have different colours and also for them to have labels that are
> different
> to the data used to size them (ie they are sized on size of customer,
> however, I would like the name of the customer to show next to the bubble)

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/24/2007 12:29:11 PM
Hi Jon & others -
A new question on coloring bubbles: I have about 50 bubbles on my chart and
each one represents a value for a specific country. I am trying to color the
bubbles based on the region where the country lies (i.e. all countried in
africa = red; all countries in asia = green, etc). Is there a way to do this
through a formula or macro? Or do I have to do it manually, selecting each
bubble separately and then choosing the corresponding color?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
Marci

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If you have a single series, you can double click on it and on the Options
> tab, choose Vary Colors by Point. Otherwise, you can select individual
> points (single click to select the series, another single click to select
> the point, then double click to format each with a different color). To
> apply custom labels to the points, you could apply default labels and edit
> the text of each (again, two single clicks to select the individual label,
> then edit its text), or you can use one of these free utilities to use a
> separate worksheet range for the labels:
>
>     Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>     John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Jenna" <Jenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have created a bubble chart in excel. I would like the individual
> > bubbles
> > to have different colours and also for them to have labels that are
> > different
> > to the data used to size them (ie they are sized on size of customer,
> > however, I would like the name of the customer to show next to the bubble)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Marci Brooks <MarciBrooks@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>A new question on coloring bubbles: I have about 50 bubbles on my chart and
>each one represents a value for a specific country. I am trying to color the
>bubbles based on the region where the country lies (i.e. all countried in
>africa = red; all countries in asia = green, etc). Is there a way to do this
>through a formula or macro? Or do I have to do it manually, selecting each
>bubble separately and then choosing the corresponding color?

It's much easier to do it by creating extra columns in the spreadsheet
than by writing macros. Like so:

Continent  Country  Value  Asia  Africa
Asia       China    1.0    1.0   #N/A
Asia       Vietnam  1.2    1.2   #N/A
Africa     Niger    1.1    #N/A  1.1
Asia       Laos     1.3    1.3   #N/A

Imagine that "Continent" is in cell A1; then cell D2 contains the
formula:

  = IF ( $B2=D$1, $C2, NA() )

Then you can build your chart from these values. If you want your bubble
chart to build automatically using the Chart Wizard, re-arrange the
columns from the way I have arranged them, using cut and paste.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

How to get 5 digit accuracy beyond the decimal point.
A currency has 4 digit accuracy. I need 5 digit. I am using Access 2003. You can't use Currency, then, since that's a hard-and-fast limit of the Currency type. Try using the Decimal type. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "tom" <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:afg9i.12785$2v1.2433@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net... >A currency has 4 digit accuracy. I need 5 digit. > > I am using Access 2003. > ...

Mailbox moves to Ex2003 don't remove 5.5 mailbox
I have moved several hundred mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000 to an Exchange 2003 SP1 server running on Windows 2003 without any issues. However, lately I have moved two mailboxes (seperately) and have run into a problem. The Move Mailbox wizard shows a successful move and the mailbox does appear in the Exchange 2003 server, but the mailbox also appears in the Exchange 5.5 server. So, there are two mailboxes for a single account. I have reviewed article 299473 which seems to describe what is happening (although I have not used Replmon.exe to confirm this...

Is Crystal Report ver:11.5.8.826 supported?
Please tell me: Do reports made in CR Professional ver: 11.5.8.826 supported by RMS v2.0? hi Asad, the Last version support is Crystal 8.5 also not worked with 9,10 or 11. "Asad" wrote: > Please tell me: Do reports made in CR Professional ver: 11.5.8.826 supported > by RMS v2.0? Well, I've checked it myself. Crystal Report11 doesnt work with RMs v2.0. Haven't checked ver 9, 10. "Akber Alwani" wrote: > hi Asad, the Last version support is Crystal 8.5 also not worked with 9,10 or > 11. > > > > "Asad" wrote: > > ...

Migrating AD to new domain. How does Exch 5.5 fit in?
Over a weekend (hopefully) I will be migrating from one domain to another temporary domain. Then I will be taking the original domain out of it's current forest and into its own. I will then migrate back to the original domain. I'm using Exchange 5.5. What do I do with Exchange? Should I leave it with the original domain and assume that the appended SIDHistory of the users will still work correctly with it when they move back? I'm thinking this will work since it's happening over a weekend... I don't know anything about migrating Exchange 5.5 to a new domain... Any ...

oulook express 5
I'm loosing the complete contents of local folders of my oulook express 5. How can I retrieve these lost files? A good website for information on OE is: http://www.tomsterdam.com/ This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.win...

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

POP3 #5
Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 server inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night. Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have completely gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox. I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was; preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply done, item was read etc.) I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back? Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switchi...

USB RNDIS problem in wince 5.0
Hi to all, I have ported my usb function driver to boot loader code in wince 5.0. It is working fine i.e., when i connect usb cable to PC, it asks for Rndis driver and that driver is loading perfectly and my usb rndis device is showing as network adapter in device manager. the problem is, when i set IP in PC side, after some time it is disconnected automatically. I hope, i explained the problem clearly. Could u guide me. Thanks in advance. Regards - D. My log in hyper terminal is, ==================================================== Before HostMiniInit function *** H...

Display order of Bar Chart
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the data not in the order of the categories as I developed it. That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of the y-values best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.s...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Help! Exchange 5.5 logon failure
Hi all, We recently upgraded our NT domain to Windows Server 2003 Active Directory (Native Mode). While in the process of upgrading our Exchange 5.5 / SP4 server (running on NT4/SP6) to Exchange Server 2003 (Enterprise Edition, running on Windows Server 2003), we noticed that our users can no longer logon to the server using either: - Outlook Web Access - Microsoft Outlook clients (XP or 2003) Please note that if we supply the credentials of the Exchange 5.5 Service account during authentication (on the pop-up dialog box), the logon process succeeds! In addition, POP3/SMTP clients (e.g. Outlo...

Charts and "global" changes
Hello all, I'm actually working in Microsoft Access97, which uses MSGraph 2000 for charting, so I thought this was really a "charting" question... not an Access question. I have an XY scatter chart (using just points... no X or Y error bars or lines) all laid out just fine, but I have a couple of questions that would make my work a lot easier. When the data first displayed on the chart, every data point had a different "style"... circles, triangles, x's, etc... I had to go into every one individually and change them to a black dot at size 3. Isn...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Zip Codes 5 digits only
Is there a way to change zip codes in a spreadsheet to only display 5 digits? Hi, Use custom cell format 00000. This will add leading zeros, if the cod is shorter than 5 digits. - Asse -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =LEFT(zipcode,5) will strip off the extended codes. Jerry anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Is there a way to change zip codes in a spreadsheet to > only display 5 digits? ...

Pie chart
Is there an pie chart type where you can explode just one of the sets of data on the chart? I have access to both Excel/Powerpoint 97 and 2003, but there doesn't appear to be any differences in what's available for pie charts. Is there an add-in or something for variations on these pie or other charts. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. Diana Create a regular pie chart in Excel Click on the pie to select it (each slice will have a black handle on its outer edge) Click on the slice that you want to explode (only that slice will now have handles) Drag out the select...

Error 5 Invalid proceedyre call or arguement
Why am I getting this error for Me.ActiveControl.SelStart = InStr(Me.ActiveControl.SelStart, Me.ActiveControl.text, m_FR.FindWhat) - 1? If I replace Me.ActiveControl with the name of a textbox, it works but I am using two textboxes that I switch between depending on weather WordWrap is on or not. -- ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org "Leo" <ttdhead@gmail.com> wrote > Why am I getting this error for Me.ActiveControl.SelStart = > InStr(Me.ActiveControl.SelStart, Me.ActiveControl...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

Exchange 5.5 : anyone remember how to specify the exact domain controller to use???
Hello, We still have a client using a single Exchange 5.5 server for a specific application. They're going to replace it but not until next year. In the meantime, I need to force it to use one specific domain controller because the others have been security hardened. Does anyone remember please how to tell Ex 5.5 which DC to use all the time? Thanks, - Alan. You might try separating the Exchange server and specific domain controller into their own AD site. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. &quo...

Unable to View Reports in Business Portal 2.5
Does anyone have an idea why the reports will not display? The reports seem to be generating properly from Great Plains 8.0 and I am able to access the GP screens through terminal services. Can anyone help me? Regards, Brad Brad -- Are you trying to view the reports on a Center page? If so, you will need to check the following. 1. You have the share folder to publish reports to setup with the correct security. (This can be found in the BP Installation Manual on your CD). 2. You have published the Reports via Reports Scheduler within Great Plains. 3. The Reports have been set...

Newsgroups in Outlook 2003 #5
Hi there If I follow Help and Support in Outlook 2003, I am led to believe that I can read and post to newsgroups by clicking "Go" then "News". However I don't find the "News" menu item, even by customizing the toolbars in the normal way. Am I missing something? Best regards Loane Go to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No butto...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

Problem logging in OWA (Exchange 5.5)
Hi! the problem is that users can't login through OWA until they are added in Administrators group in domain. I hope, someone is encountered this problem and can give me solution (I didn't find solutions anywhere) Taavi Uibo taavi@printall.ee Users need the right to logon locally in order to use OWA under Exchange 5.5. Also changing NTFS permissions can play a role in their inability to logon or who can access the computer from the network can also play a role. Does the site change any of these security settings on the NT4/Windows 2000 member servers? "Taavi Uibo"...