Bubble chart will not pick X series

I am trying to draw a bubble chart.

The X values are dates in the next few years. However when the graph i
drawn, these X values are ignored, and Excel uses the row number of th
cell containing the data instead.

I can confirm this by moving the pointer over the bubbles. The labe
that pops up says <Point "01/01/09" (50, 6%)>, when really it should b
<Point 50 ("01/01/09", 6%)>.

Has anyone seen this before? it's the second time it happens to me i
different files.

Thanks in advanc

--
lupocattiv
lupocattivo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2662

Interesting.  If the first column is Dates XL doesn't put it on the x-
axis -- at least not by default.  What you can do is in the 2nd step of
the chart wizard, click on the Series tab and adjust the X- Y- and Size
fields.  XL may actually create an incorrect 2nd series with the bubble
sizes as the y-values of this series.  If so, delete it.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <lupocattivo.1ubbme_1124960731.757@excelforum-nospam.com>,
lupocattivo.1ubbme_1124960731.757@excelforum-nospam.com says...

> I am trying to draw a bubble chart.
>
> The X values are dates in the next few years. However when the graph is
> drawn, these X values are ignored, and Excel uses the row number of the
> cell containing the data instead.
>
> I can confirm this by moving the pointer over the bubbles. The label
> that pops up says <Point "01/01/09" (50, 6%)>, when really it should be
> <Point 50 ("01/01/09", 6%)>.
>
> Has anyone seen this before? it's the second time it happens to me in
> different files.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
> lupocattivo
> lupocattivo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26622
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398971

In a quick test in Excel 2003 (then duplicated in Excel 2000), Excel by
default did use the dates as the X axis variable. The chart tip says

   Series "y" Point "8/1/2005"
   (8/1/2005, 50) Size: 0.625

If the "dates" in the first column of the data range are treated by
Excel as categories (i.e., valueless text), then you'd see the behavior
described by lupocattivo. What's funny, is that Excel sees them
formatted as dates, so my numbers 1, 2, 3 for the categories are
displayed as 1/1/1900, 1/2/1900, etc.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Tushar Mehta wrote:

> Interesting.  If the first column is Dates XL doesn't put it on the x-
> axis -- at least not by default.  What you can do is in the 2nd step of
> the chart wizard, click on the Series tab and adjust the X- Y- and Size
> fields.  XL may actually create an incorrect 2nd series with the bubble
> sizes as the y-values of this series.  If so, delete it.

And, you figured I reached my conclusion by just pulling it out of a
hat? {grin}

I just rechecked XL2003:
1-Jan   10   20
2-Jan   12   40
3-Jan   15   30

XL creates 2 series in a bubble chart.  The y-axis are dates! The
legend shows two series plotted.  Series 1 has self-created x-values,
the dates as the y values and 10,12,15 as the bubble sizes.  Series two
is invisible and cannot be seen.  After deleting series 1, the arrow
keys will located series 2.  Its y-values are 20,40,30 and its bubble
sizes are {0,0,0}

--

In article <#bqaj6jqFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
jonREMOVExlmvp@peltierCAPStech.com says...
> In a quick test in Excel 2003 (then duplicated in Excel 2000), Excel by
> default did use the dates as the X axis variable. The chart tip says
>
>    Series "y" Point "8/1/2005"
>    (8/1/2005, 50) Size: 0.625
>
> If the "dates" in the first column of the data range are treated by
> Excel as categories (i.e., valueless text), then you'd see the behavior
> described by lupocattivo. What's funny, is that Excel sees them
> formatted as dates, so my numbers 1, 2, 3 for the categories are
> displayed as 1/1/1900, 1/2/1900, etc.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Tushar Mehta wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  If the first column is Dates XL doesn't put it on the x-
> > axis -- at least not by default.  What you can do is in the 2nd step of
> > the chart wizard, click on the Series tab and adjust the X- Y- and Size
> > fields.  XL may actually create an incorrect 2nd series with the bubble
> > sizes as the y-values of this series.  If so, delete it.

I made no assumptions about how you reached your conclusion, other than
your data looked different than mine, and Excel interpreted it
differently (not too bad an assumption in general, and spot on in this
case).

If you use column headers, Excel does the bubble chart correctly:

x	y	z
1-Jan	10	20
2-Jan	12	40
3-Jan	15	30

The dates are used for X, (10,12,15) are used for Y, and the bubble
sizes are (20,40,30).

- Jon
-------

Tushar Mehta wrote:

> And, you figured I reached my conclusion by just pulling it out of a
> hat? {grin}
>
> I just rechecked XL2003:
> 1-Jan   10   20
> 2-Jan   12   40
> 3-Jan   15   30
>
> XL creates 2 series in a bubble chart.  The y-axis are dates! The
> legend shows two series plotted.  Series 1 has self-created x-values,
> the dates as the y values and 10,12,15 as the bubble sizes.  Series two
> is invisible and cannot be seen.  After deleting series 1, the arrow
> keys will located series 2.  Its y-values are 20,40,30 and its bubble
> sizes are {0,0,0}

Report will not open 12-16-07
I have a report that I have not been able to open. The message that appeares when I click on the report is "There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again." I have done this - closed all programs, opened the dbs on a computer with more memory and higher operating system, what is going on? the OP is XP @ work but I have Vista @ home and it still didn't work. In the report I had several calculated text boxes and possibly this was too much. I went to the help site and noticed the "hotfix" download but...

How the heck do I plot 'my text' for the X axis? (instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.)
Hi, I'm using XL2002 & Win2000Pro. How can I display the week numbers (as shown) in the x axis, rather than 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. that M$ uses. Here's my data Week 11 12 13 14 Sales A 43 55 48 32 Sales B 32 36 41 29 Here's what I want the axis's to look like 50 40 30 20 10 0 11 12 13 14 How do I do it? Many thanks!!! Norm Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good Option 1: Del...

Chart Plot Area changes in Excel 2007
I having problems with unstable formats of charts in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet (under Windows XP). When I re-open a spreadsheet, the plot area is usually contracted to a much smaller portion of the total chart area, leaving lots of white space around the edges. This happens repeatedly with some, but not all, of the charts in my spreadsheet. Some are x-y plots, some are combination line, bar plots. Is there any way to keep the size of the plot area from changing? ...

How to add %'s to chart columns in excel??
On Excel 2003, how do you include %'s as well as values in chart columns. The % option in Data Series is recessed. Calculate the percentage values in the worksheet, then use one of these fine utilities to add them to the columns as data labels: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John Stewart" <John Stewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

How to find Watch window in Office X VB Editor (Mac OS X)
Greetings all, Apologies if this is a FAQ here but I've searched google for over an hour with no result. I've just updated to a new machine, running Mac OS X (Tiger) and installed Office X (after updates, 10.1.6). I have dozens of legacy Excel files with all manner of VB code in them from my Excel 5 under Mac OS 8.6 and I'm trying to make them work under this new system environment. One major problem is that I can't figure out how to get out a Watch window!!! I've looked until I'm blue in the face and there is nothing in any menu which will bring out a windo...

Organizational Chart #4
Client has Excel 2002 SP-1. When she first entered an org chart by Insert | Picture | Organizational Chart, the chart worked just fine. The client has 1 main manager, 2 subordinates, and a 2-column data of sub-subordinates. After saving the document entitled "Book5.xls" she cannot modify the now existing chart. When you click on it an error comes up "The macro 'Book5.xls!Object4_Click" cannot be found." What is this and how do we edit an existing chart? TIA! ...

stacked column chart #7
I have a stacked column chart and I added data labels showing values. I want the chart to graph the value with the column bars, but I would like to see the percentages with those bars instead of the value. For example, the total for the column bar is 200 with the break down as such: Group = 50, Individual = 25 and Enterprise 125. I want the stack bar to show a total of 200, but instead of the labels showing the value of 50, 25 and 125 for Group, Individual and Enterprise, I want the labels to show 25% for Group (50/200), 12.5% (25/200) for Individual and 62.5% (125/200) for Enterpri...

Office for Mac X and new iMacPro
Got a new iMacPro. Using firewire, copied everything, including Office Mac X, to iMacPro from old iMac (not a laptop). When I tried to use Word or Excel from either the dock icons or files, Office Test Drive Word or Excel showed up. So I put Test Drive in the trash, deleted Test Drive icons from dock and replaced them with icons linked to Office Mac X. All is fine except for one glitch: can't open files; have to open application and then open file from the ap. I called Apple help. Was told to remove all Office applications, X and 2004 Test Drive, from my computer and then re-install...

Series Categories not in order
I have set the Series order in the chart option for a bar chart but for the categories with value = 0, those categories automatically go to the bottom. this is problematic as i need to insert series line and for those categories, the lines start at the bottom of the bars Why they are not in order? ...

Creating some sort of button that will take you to a new worksheet
I am not so much of a new user, but use Excel so infrequently that I usually spend an entire day re-learning everything. I am using Excel 2002. My client is requesting I create a form in Excel. Everything was going well until I get to the request where they want some sort of button or something that will allow them to click it and automatically be taken to a new form (work sheet) if they click it. I am thinking it should go to the first cell enterable cell in the new worksheet. Any suggestions? Is this even possible? Do you want to move to another (existing) sheet, or do you want t...

Vehicle Utilisation Chart (Hell Stuck)
I need some help, I'm currently reporting on 35+ vehicles and trying to chart quartery utilisation. I have the entire vehicle's utilisation in an excel sheet but I'm trying to get it to generate the utilisation chart so I can copy and paste into word. Except I'm having troubles. It has to be compared against the allowed kms per vehicle. So it's basically trendlines. This is what it should be doing over the period of time from quarter 1 onwards (Delivery Date) to the end date (based on term eg. 24months 40000kms) so 01.01.2000 on 24 months is 01.01.2002 with 1666.6...

Out of Office will not tell user that it is on
Office 2003/internal user/Exchange 5.5/Widows XP/Dell Optiplex I have a user who uses Out of Office a lot. Unfortunately, once he turns it on, it will not pop him with the message that his out of office reply is on, would he like to turn it off....this is very important to him and I really need to find a solution to this problem. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried turning it off and then back on with no success. Pain in the Outlook wrote: > Office 2003/internal user/Exchange 5.5/Widows XP/Dell Optiplex > > I have a user who uses Out of Office a lot. Unfortunately, once he > turn...

1 of 4 charts won't print
I have a worksheet with data information tables on top, then 4 charts underneath. the data table prints, the first chart prints, the second does not and the third and fourth print. the second chart doesn't show on print preview but does show on page break preview.Thanks in advance! Janet Janet - Hold the shift key and select the nonprinting chart, so the chart is highlighted by white handles instead of black ones. Go to Format menu, Object... and on the Properties tab, make sure Print Object is checked. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutori...

Printing Excel Charts Pasted into Powerpoint
Often, our chart dates end up as blacked out areas on our HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn printer (not on our HP 1200 LaserJet). Any solution other than resizing fonts in Excel and pasting again? ...

All of the sudden my charts aren't active, what happened?
got it! At one point I had highlited all of the sheets in my workbook. Some how excel grouped them together and wouldn't let me do certain functions. Anyways, to fix this I highlited all of my sheets and then right clicked on the selection. One of the options is to ungroup sheets. I chose this and now I can edit my charts etc. ...

office 07: auto powerpoint charts using named range data in excel
i am trying to create code that goes down a list of named excel ranges and creates a complete ppt chart (title with graph and annotated text), one for each excel range. the chart will be customized based on the contents of the named excel range. there may be easier ways, but i thought that if i could reference and change the ppt chart data directly from the excel file procedure, i can set it equal to the excel file data range name that i want. i have been trying to use sourcedata and chartdata but i keep getting compiler errors. any help is welcome, even if it is a reference book that...

How can I print an organization chart across 15 pages correctly?
In Excel 2003 with SP2, I created an organization chart that spanned seven pages across. The printout appeared shrunk at the start and finish. I expanded the chart to 15 pages in order to create larger-sized boxes. This looks good on the screen, but the squashing effect still happens at the beginning and end, and the fact many pages are duplicated in the center of the chart is very obvious. In both printouts the center of the chart is duplicated at the expense of crushing the sides, while the screen correctly displays evenly-sized boxes. I could not find the maximum size limit for ...

Chart Types
Is there other specialized software which would be an add-in to Excel and give me a larger variety of chart types? SigmaPlot (http://www.spssscience.com/SigmaPlot/) Amigo (http://www.threedgraphics.com/products.html), Delta Graph (http://www.spss.com/deltagraph/), and Harvard Graphics (http://www.harvardgraphics.com/) Please do not consider this as an endorsement of any particular program. Also, with a little ingenuity, one can simulate a large range of effects. See various websites for examples: mine, Jon Peltier's (www.geocities.com/jonpeltier), Stephen Bullen's (www.bmsltd....

Creating a chart.
The code below creates a chart and places it on the Excel spreadsheet. I can;t seem to find a couple of things how can I control what is displayed on the x and y axis? and how can I control how wide or how many points are displayed. oChart = oWS.Parent.Charts.Add With oChart .ChartWizard(_ReadingArrayList3, Excel.XlChartType.xlLine, , Excel.XlRowCol.xlRows) '.ChartWizard(oResizeRange, Excel.XlChartType.xlLine, , Excel.XlRowCol.xlRows) oSeries = .SeriesCollection(1) '' oSeries.XValues = oWS.Range("A2", "A6&quo...

Scaling the x-axis
Using a line chart, is it possible to have scaling appart from the Y-axis to the x-axis, regardless the kategory-values of the x axis? For example the values of x to establish some points are 5, 15, 30 etc. is it possible to put them on scale as well on the chart? Thanks for your time!! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Jon Peltier has instructions for an arbitrary x-axis that may help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html You can use an XY (scatter) chart, with one of the line subtypes, instead of a line chart. Dinos < wrote: > Using...

CHARTS: combination
1st Qtr 2nd Qtr 3rd Qtr 4th Qtr Previous year 72 38 -52 27 Current year 65 42 -15 50 Difference 5% -5% 55% -30% the figures above go into a combination chart - two problems, how do I get the minus signs to show as bracketed and, in the category axis, (1st Qtr etc) shows half way up the chart, I need it sit at the bottom of the chart? thanks 1. Use a custom number format that uses brackets around negative numbers. Use a built in type of the Number or Currency type as a guide, or read this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html 2. Double click the category axi...

Change the chart when a cell is clicked
Hello and thanks for the help. I am using Office 2007. I have a sheet with 8 people listed and their sales. Here is a brief example: Rep Jan Feb Mar JO 5 6 7 AL 65 3 2 KIM 6 2 9 I would like to click on the cell that says JO and have the Jan, Feb, Mar data appear on the page as a pie chart. When I click on AL then the Jan, Feb, Mar data for AL appears and when I click on KIM the Jan, Feb, Mar data for Kim appears. I would like for JO's chart to disappear when I select AL and AL's chart to disappear when I select KIM. Hi...

i need to create an invoice that will flag up when not paid
i want an invoice that will flag up when customer not paid within a certain time, any ideas Not sure what you mean by "flag up" but if you have a cell with the invoice date and you want another cell to tell you if it's overdue you can use the following assume cell A1 has invoice date "certain time"=2 weeks(14 days) in my example =IF(TODAY()-A1>14, "OVERDUE","") If this is not what you were looking for, please clarify your question. - Search "bgc1416" wrote: > i want an invoice that will flag up when customer not paid within...

3D stacked bar and line chart on same graph
Using Excel 2007, I have created a 3D stacked bar chart and now need to add a 3D or 2D line chart (different Y data set, same X) with the 2nd Y axis. I have tried using the online manuial but haven't found anything useful. Does anyone have a suggestions for me to try? Thanks -- -snoopy Hi, You can not mix chart types when using the 3d variety. Nor can you have secondary axes. Use 2d style. Cheers Andy On 09/03/2010 19:45, snoopy wrote: > Using Excel 2007, I have created a 3D stacked bar chart and now need to add a > 3D or 2D line chart (different Y da...

Indexing Values to Same Starting Point for Relative Return Chart
Hello all, I'm have a sheet full of data for various securities that is sorted b date. I can chart the values by date just fine, but I'm hoping t create a chart where each series is indexed to the same point and the the chart will show percentage changes. For instance, if A is at 30 and B is at 40 on January 1st, then in my chart I want them both t start at 100. So if A falls to 150 and B moves up to 80, then I woul want the chart to show them moving to 50 and 200, respectively. Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first, or is there way to do it with the charting t...