Box and whisker plots #2

Can anyone help?

Does excel have a box plot graph function. i.e. like a bar chart except the
bars are "floating" with the top value on the box representing the 75th
centile, the bottom of the box representing the 25th centile, then error bars
from the top of the box representing 90th centile and error bars from bottom
of box representing 10th centile.  I also would like to put a line within the
box representing the median.

Thanks

John
0
JRD (9)

Hi,

See Jon's page
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"JRD" <JRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help?
>
> Does excel have a box plot graph function. i.e. like a bar chart except
> the
> bars are "floating" with the top value on the box representing the 75th
> centile, the bottom of the box representing the 25th centile, then error
> bars
> from the top of the box representing 90th centile and error bars from
> bottom
> of box representing 10th centile.  I also would like to put a line within
> the
> box representing the median.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

0
andy9699 (3616)
8/17/2007 1:28:49 PM
Hi Andy,

Does this work if some of my percentiles have negative values

I have followed the instructions but the box plots do not seem to correspond
to the percentile numbers

John

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> See Jon's page
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "JRD" <JRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Does excel have a box plot graph function. i.e. like a bar chart except
> > the
> > bars are "floating" with the top value on the box representing the 75th
> > centile, the bottom of the box representing the 25th centile, then error
> > bars
> > from the top of the box representing 90th centile and error bars from
> > bottom
> > of box representing 10th centile.  I also would like to put a line within
> > the
> > box representing the median.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John

0
JRD (9)
8/18/2007 9:56:16 AM
Hi,

There appears to be a screen shot of a box plot with negative values so
I assume yes.

Cheers
Andy

JRD wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Does this work if some of my percentiles have negative values
>
> I have followed the instructions but the box plots do not seem to correspond
> to the percentile numbers
>
> John
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>See Jon's page
>>http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andy
>>
>>--
>>
>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>http://www.andypope.info
>>"JRD" <JRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Can anyone help?
>>>
>>>Does excel have a box plot graph function. i.e. like a bar chart except
>>>the
>>>bars are "floating" with the top value on the box representing the 75th
>>>centile, the bottom of the box representing the 25th centile, then error
>>>bars
>>>from the top of the box representing 90th centile and error bars from
>>>bottom
>>>of box representing 10th centile.  I also would like to put a line within
>>>the
>>>box representing the median.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>John

0
andy9699 (3616)
8/18/2007 11:48:10 AM
The more advanced techniques successfully account for negative values for
the percentiles.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> There appears to be a screen shot of a box plot with negative values so I
> assume yes.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> JRD wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> Does this work if some of my percentiles have negative values
>>
>> I have followed the instructions but the box plots do not seem to
>> correspond to the percentile numbers
>>
>> John
>>
>> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>See Jon's page
>>>http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Andy
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>>http://www.andypope.info
>>>"JRD" <JRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/20/2007 12:44:37 PM
You have to combine the more complicated data structure of this tutorial:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedColumnsAboveAndBelow.html

with the box and whisker example here:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhiskerV.html

The Box and Whisker Utility
(http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html) generates a box and
whisker chart from any data set, including sets with positive and negative
values.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote in message
> The more advanced techniques successfully account for negative values for
> the percentiles.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> There appears to be a screen shot of a box plot with negative values so I
>> assume yes.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> JRD wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> Does this work if some of my percentiles have negative values
>>>
>>> I have followed the instructions but the box plots do not seem to
>>> correspond to the percentile numbers
>>>
>>> John

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Format text for "mark my comments with..." #2
Is there a way to format the font & colour of the text I may type into the body of an existing email in Outlook 2003? I have switched the option on so that the comments are flagged with my initials but I wanted them more prevalent by being able to format the colour of the text. At the moment its a manual task. With Word as the editor: Open Word, choose Tools | Options | General tab ... Email Options button ... you can choose the Font in when "Replying or Forwarding messages" -- Bill Rodgers MVP "Greg J" <frog66@flashmail.com> wrote in message news:11246865...

Address Book #2
Can anybody guide me to a template for address book records? I need something straightforward. Hi John, File, Export, Other Address Book You can open the file you create in Excel. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:dhbest$bsk$2@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com... > Can anybody guide me to a template for address book records...

customerrelationship #2
Question: A Contact has 3 associated Accounts. How to migrate these records into CRM?(from Excel) Because each contact can only be associated with 1 account/contact, so I have to think if it is possible to migrate into customerrelationship(1 Contact->Multi Accounts)? Thank you! you can use the Relationship Roles in Accounts "Jim Wang" <JimWang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52B32F35-B042-4A26-A103-1C36E2DFA9C6@microsoft.com... > Question: A Contact has 3 associated Accounts. How to migrate these > records > into CRM?(from Excel) > > ...

Running 2 Versions of Publisher
I want to install and try the Publisher 2007 trial version. I currently have Pub 2002 on my machine. Can I install both versions? Or does 2007 screw up 2002? Or can I install 2007 on another HD on my system w/out touching my 2002 install? I DO NOT want to screw up my 2002 version - I have many files/clients who use it and we all know how stupid Pub is about reading files made in different versions. It would be very nice if the two could run side-by-side, and you could have both installed and running so you could choose between them. I don't suppose that's possible is it?Dawn I ...

Dialog boxes and Font Smoothing
I have written an add-in that, under certain conditions, will display a dialog box over a slide when the presentation is running (slide show mode). Unfortunately the text on the underlying slide becomes jagged when the dialog is shown. It seems like powerpoint is no longer smoothing the fonts, as the problem is made worse at lower resolution. This happens if I use either ShowDialog() or _dialog.visible= true, and there is no code causing a slide refresh anywhere near the point the dialog is displayed. Any ideas ? ...

Spin Box with Dates and Lookup
Hi, I'm trying to design a spin box function which pulls in data from monthly tabs, the month being determined by a spin box. I have monthly tabs Jan-10 to Dec-10 all containing an identical table with different data in. The user needs to be able to change the month of lookup using a spin box function but I cant get it to work properly. Thanks in anticipation. Hi, You are not very clear about your question. Anyways, try this Right click on the spin control box which you have drawn ad give the lower and upper limits are 1 and 12 respectively. In the cell link box, ...

Exchange Administrator #2
Hey, I just installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. But when i open up Exchange Adminstrator, I keep on getting this error message, how do i fix this problem? Error: Title: Microsoft Exchange Administrator Message: A Connection could not be made to the microsoft exchange server computer 'EXCH'. The Microsoft exchange server computer does not respond. Microsoft Exchange Directory ID no: DS_E_Communications_Problem You use Exchange System Manager, and ADUC - not Exchange Administrator, to manage E2000/2003. Did you have a 5.x server before? erbeh wrote: > Hey, >...

insert worksheet #2
The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? Hi Sue in VBA you could use the following macro: sub insert_after() ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet end sub you may apply a button to this macro. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sue wrote: > The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. > Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? put this macro in your personal.xls file and attach it to a keyboard shortcut or toolbar button. Public Sub InsertSheetToRight() ...

mail merge problems #2
I have Vista and Office 2007. When I try to do a mail merge with Publisher and a comma-separated-values file exported from Outlook, I get the message, "An operation cannot be completed because of database engine errors." It used to work fine, but not any more. Help! There isn't a solution specific to 2007, but this article addresses your error and probably will work You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publish...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

execl to lotus 1-2-3 conversion #2
I would appreciate very much if anyone can provide me information to convert Excel file to Lotus format Regards, ...

How can I put a text box in every cell?
Two questions: -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to insert on manually every time? AND - How can I make sure that a text box inserts itself automatically into a new row whenever I add a row? Thanks! One way is to select the row with the text box and copy it to the next row. Copy and paste it several times and then select the rows and paste them as a group. "bmowell" wrote: > Two questions: > > -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to > insert on manually every time? &g...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

Can not empty clipboard #2
I have started getting a strange message in several of my MAC Office products including Word and Excel that says Can Not Empty Clipboard. I also can not copy and paste in any program including Safari. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks harper6702 Reboot and then run Disk Utility Repair Permissions. The clipboard is a file. I suspect it has overflowed or become corrupted. The reboot may take a long time: during a reboot, Unix cleans out its temporary files, and that may fix the issue... If it doesn't, I have no idea :-) On 16/11/06 2:17 PM, in article 1163647035.202984.70550@m73g2...

A program is trying to access e-mail #2
When I hit new or reply I get this box saying, "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" Symantec says it's a Microsoft problem. Microsoft says its a security patch sp3? How do I stop this dam message from poping up???? Outlook 2002 SP3 adds additional properties to the list of those that are affected by the security features. As a result, one of your add-ins needs updated to the latest version - antispam add-ins are a common cause although others are affected by the changes as well. Many add-ins were updated follow...

drop down boxes #4
Hi everyone, Ok i'll outline the situation. I am trying to produce an invoice page on a system where the user can produce an invoice etc, and I am wanting to make a cell show the total cost for the accomodation. I have a drop down box for the location name and for the cost per day, and the number of days is shown in a separate cell. Is there a way to show the total cost of the accomodation in this single cell? Help needed urgently! Thanks, Andy. Andy I am not sure of what you want but from what you say, all you need is a simple formula in that cell. Say the charge per day is ...

Office 2011 #2
Want to say that I'm impressed with 2011. Many things on my wish list were done to improve older versions�the tiny Style window in Word is better than the Windows version, Outlook doesn't make you scroll though a long list of fonts to get to what you want, and the software plays better with the Mac OS. I use Office for Windows 2003, 2007, and 2010 and Office for Mac 2004 and 2011. My preference is on the Mac side but I get my work done with all versions. Thank you MS. ...

Help with Lookup #2
I have an excel worksheet that has approximately 20,000+ records. I would like to classify these recorded based on two columns. The first column's name is "YB Description" and the other is "Sold Date". The YB column mainly contains 4 digit numerical values, with approximately 300-400 records that are text, ie. "classified", "not verified", "public use". The Sold Date column is pretty self-explanatory, all the records are dates with the following formatting - M/D/Y. What I would like to do is create a third column called YB/Sold that classi...

Can I calculate a field with 2 different filter criteria in one q
Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics fields, I'd like to sum metric "a" based on customer name being like "abc" and another sum of metric "a" where the customer name is NOT LIKE "abc" in one query, but I can't seem to figure this out, but, I'm a novice at this. Best I can figure is 2 different queries, then a 3rd query to bring the two together. Thanks -- Jim jimd wrote: >Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics >fields, I'd like to sum metric &...

2 Questions about Exchange 2003.
These are quesions from a practice test. I know nothing of Exchange servers. 1)I created a user 2 months ago and he did not need to have an email address. He has recently taken a job that required me to give an email address. Ho would I do that without deleting and recreating his account?(the mail server used is Exchange 2003) 2)My company is merging with another company and I need to configure my Exchange 2003 server to now accept email from the domain newdomain.com. Please list the steps that needs to be done to ensure that exchange will recieve email for that domain. Thanks for the...

2 exchange servers/2 different sites/1 domain
I have 2 sites, NY/MN, both need to use the same domain name for mail (pm.com), both will be in the same Active Directory forest, I want to have an Exchange server in both locations, the 2 sites are connected via VPN, the mx record for mail going to user@pm.com gets routed into the NY Exchange server, my question is, knowing they will each have a seperate server, running seperate databases, how will mail going to MNuser@pm.com get delivered to the mailboxes in MN? This is possible isn't it? Thanks-Dan Fox If both servers are in the same Exchange site, then the mail that is addre...

Change Fore Color in text box
Hi, I have a form with a text box and a drop down box. From the drop down box I want to select a color and based on the color selected I want the text (Fore Color) in the text box to change to the color selected. The drop down box is called selectcolor and the text box is called title. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks in advance. Phillip - In the OnClick event of your drop down box, put this control: Me.title.forecolor = Me.selectcolor.column(0) This sill work if your drop-box is based on a table with the color number in the first column and the descriptio...

Personal address book #2
How do you add an address to a Personal address book? Thank you, Lembro See my reply to your earlier post. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:03a201c3980c$51911d00$a301280a@phx.gbl, Lembro wrote: > How do you add an address to a Personal address book? > > Thank you, > Lembro ...

Looking for FAX software FREE TRIAL
Hi... This is slightly off the NEWS topic, but I have spent 4 days searching this. I desperately need to fax something and have no options. I had fax stuff on my PC, but that PC is gone. I have an iMAC OS 9.2.2 and a good Epson scanner... but no fax software for this computer. is there any FREE TRIAL software for my system that is FULLY FUNCTIONAL TO TRY ? Please help as soon as you can... Thanks in advance, Kimi You'd be best off searching the web via google or somesuch, though someone may come along with a suggestion. Try different combinations of varying phrases, here's ...

Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded #2
Please help, We are currently running Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 Server, on the weekend the server cashed, now I get an error message "Extension 'SMTP' could not be loaded" when I try to get into the IMS (under connections), as a matter of fact; I can't get into any of the connectors, I get similar error messages. The line underneath this error message above says "The handle is invalid" Does anyone have any idea what could be broken here? and how I can repair it. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks do you have any other errors in your appli...