Boston Chart

How do I create a Boston Chart in Excel?
0
Lily (7)

What is a Boston chart? Google was of not help to me
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lily" <Lily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I create a Boston Chart in Excel?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/18/2008 4:52:37 PM
It could be the pie-as-bubble-chart-marker made popular by the Boston
Consulting Group. Andy Pope has a tutorial here:

http://andypope.info/charts/piedatamarkers.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> What is a Boston chart? Google was of not help to me
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Lily" <Lily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do I create a Boston Chart in Excel?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/18/2008 8:54:47 PM
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier <jonxlmvpNO@SPAMpeltiertech.com> said:

>It could be the pie-as-bubble-chart-marker made popular by the Boston
>Consulting Group. Andy Pope has a tutorial here:
>
>http://andypope.info/charts/piedatamarkers.htm

There's a BCG chart example for download on Ed Ferrero's site as well:

http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelCharts/tabid/102/Default.aspx

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Problem with chart creation
Sheet1 was populated with column arrays in Range("A8:J50"). I wanted to creat a chart for column array as specified in cells A1, A2, A3 as rowbegin, rowend,and columnofinterest respectively. Soon after the chart was created all the values in Cells(*, *) were lost, and the macro ceased to function properly. Can you help me? Sub Creat_a_chart() Dim rowbegin, rowend, columnofinterest As Double Cells(1, 1) = 8 ' as given example Cells(2, 1) = 20 ' as given example Cells(3, 1) = 3 ' as given example rowbe...

Line Chart with Additional Criteria
Can this be done without using a pivot table? I would like to show deferral rates in multiple categories by month for several product lines. Product Name (13) Month Occurred (12) Deferral Reason (8) Occurrences of Each Reason Annabelle - You don't need a pivot table if your data is already appropriately arranged. The value of a pivot table is that it can take your list and turn it into a nice array for plotting. Also, as I've already told a few people in the past week, don't make a pivot chart from the pivot table, make a regular chart, so you retain control over the ...

chart with color automation
How can I create a bar chart with color according to an excel column conditions. For example I have a graph with all salemen and in excel I have a column which describe which products with the amount of sale column. By look at the color I would know which product and the sale amount? Thanks in advance Daniel Below are links to a couple of examples: http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/auto_color_chart_bars_version_1/ http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/auto_color_chart_bars_version_2/ -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "Daniel" wrote: > How can I create a ba...

Erro while printing Chart of Accounts
Unable to open dictionary:C:program Files\MicrosoftDynamics/GP/Reports.dic You may have rights a modified report that you don't have. The reports.dic stores modified reports. Can another user on another workstation successfully print the chart of accounts? If so, go to tools --> customize --> customization maintenance to see if the user has any reports listed. -- Charles Allen, MVP "kip" wrote: > Unable to open dictionary:C:program Files\MicrosoftDynamics/GP/Reports.dic Kip, Are the slashes actually facing different ways in the error message you receive? --...

Problem with chart saved in excel 2007 and printed in 2003
Hi all I have a client that is in mid upgrade of Office 2007 and have an odd issue with excel charts. Basically the chart has a graph and below that is some data in columns in rectangle shapes to keep it neet. What is happening is a user with Excel 2007 may make a change to the chart, save it as 97-2003 compatible and the person with Excel 2003 opens it and then prints it and the data below the chart is not on the print out. You can see it on the document. If you do a print preview it is not there either and if I try to PDF it the data is not there. Only the chart prints. I'm...

Charts from columns of text
I can create charts from data that takes the form of numbers but can't work out how to do bar charts when there's text, e.g. the following: Column A has 30 cells that contain either 'Patient', 'Relative' or 'MP'. I want a bar chart that has these labels along the bottom and the number of times they occur up the side. Column B has the same number of cells and contains either 'Upheld', Not upheld', 'Withdrawn' or 'Pending'. I want a bar chart that shows how many times the column B categories occur for each category in column...

Rounding numbers in charts
HHi U'm not very good with computers. And I did a spreadsheet on excel and had percentages I wanted to put in a chart...when I created the chart (piechart) the values came out all inacurate. I wanted one to be 8% and it came out 6%. I heard you couold try and fix it using decimal places but that only makes a minor difference. Is there something I dont know about thats fairly simple to do? Hi Andrea If you'ld like to give us an example of your data (e.g. three categories and the associated percentages) and explain to us where the percentages came from - did you type th...

excel charts "grey" out
Hello All: When I insert a chart in to a spreadsheet, graphics show up as long as the chart/object is selected. (i.e. clicking outside the object ...de-selecting it ...causes loss of all graphics) Any suggestions ? Cheers -Anand As answered yesterday in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions -- '================================== Choose Tools>Options, and on the View tab, under Objects, select 'Show All' '================================== If you have trouble finding responses to a question that you posted, you can search in Google: http://groups.goog...

shrink excel chart area
Is there a way to make an excel chart area smaller, so that when you copy and paste the chart there is not a lot of background? I can make the plot area smaller but not the chart area. I can make the chart area smaller when I locate the chart within another worksheet, but then when I try to insert the chart in another application, the cells in the background are always included too. Any advice? -- mcarrington ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcarrington's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21641 View this t...

Updating a chart automatically #2
I am using Excel 2002, and I need to modify a chart so that it update automatically. The way the spreadsheet is laid out is that it uses row of months at the top, a bunch of detail rows below that, and tw different total rows at the bottom. I'm only concerned with the month row and the two total rows. In the chart (an embedded line chart on separate sheet from the data), the months are the x-values and th total rows are the two data series. The amount of information bein represented is getting past two years' worth, and as time goes on, mor and more data will be squished into the sa...

Reference in charts
I'm trying to reference a active worksheet in a chart but I keep getting error messages. On the series tab of step 2 of the chart making process, I would like to substitute the current worksheet instead of the permanent one already in there. Instead of ='Testing_Macro'!$A$1:$A$20 I want Testing_Macro replaced with a reference to an active sheet name. Any ideas? Hi, Something more like this. ="'" & activesheet.name & "'!$A$1:$A$20" If the chart sheet is the activesheet this will fail. Cheers Andy Chris wrote: > I'm trying t...

bar chart Axis X
how to change the axis x for 2 series start 0 at the middle.... Ex: 70-----35----0-----35----70 ______ __________ __ _______ Is it a horizontal bar chart? Then the horizontal axis is actually the Y axis (dependent variable) Double click on the axis, click on the Scale tab, and change the min, max, and major unit as needed. If you want the bars to go left and right from the Y=0 vertical line, make sure the X axis crosses the Y axis at zero (this is in the same dialog as setting the axis scale). Then double click the X axis, and on the Patterns tab for ...

Getting values to show colors in chart
Hi, Excel has numerous charting options. However, I need to display a ma of a country and let certain parts change color according to value that are stored in a database. I can get the values in a normal graph but is it at all possible t make a custom chart (like a map) where I can get certain parts t correspond with the values? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't believe you can do what you want without programming support. Suppose you create a map of, say the U.S. Now, create a freeform shape that aligns with the boundary of each state. Finally, use a...

Getting line on line chart to display after creation from Pivot Table
I have two columns of values, one with Dates going from 04/31/2004 to 12/31/2006 (one per month), and another column with items per month. Read another thread which seemed to imply having values stored as number (instead or in addition to having them as a number for their format) was important for a line chart to display properly. So, I copy the number range (for the items per month), paste special, and select Add. they should be stored as numbers now. Created a Pivot table under the Data pull-down. Clicked Chart, and it created a bar chart, which looks good. Right-clicked, and select Li...

One Chart, Same Data ranges, different source sheets
Hi All! I have a sheet with numerous charts. The charts are standard, much like a dashboard. The charts are fed from one sheet which is a rollup of summary data from many other sheets. I need to create a similar summary sheet for each of the remaining regions, but only need one sheet with charts. Is there a way to make the SHEET reference for the charts dynamic - say, populated by the user selecting an entry from a drop menu? The desired behavior is as follows: The Chart Sheet show 10 charts reflecting various data for Region A. I want to be able to change all the char...

Multivari Chart #2
Has anyone put together a procedure to create a Multivari chart in Excel? If so, I'd greatly appreciate seeing it. Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Hi Barb - I had to Google to see what a Multi-Vari chart was. I used to do them all the time, without knowing there was a fancy name for them. If you have some sample data you want to look at, post it, and I'll see if I can help. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Barb R. wrote: > Has anyone put together a procedure to create a Multi...

Multiple columns over a chart
I have a sheet in Excel 2003 with a number of columns, all of which follow the same, repeated pattern: Day of week Date (dd/mm) Volume Blank column This is then repeated over each month. So, I have 4 columns for July, August, September etc. Each of the months have their own individual line chart, showing date / volume. What I want to do is display a month on month, running total chart, i.e. the one line chart that shows all volumes to date. However, I can't get this done the way my data is stored. If I select multiple columns as my source data, the sheet shows the one line for each ...

Charting ROI
Does anyone have an idea what chart my best show ROI by Qtr? I have calculated ROI for our sales rep commisions in comparison to our Gross Profit and wanted to get advice as what chart may be best. Without seeing the data, I would first suggest a simple bar chart with each quarterly ROI being a bar. -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "Nikki" wrote: > Does anyone have an idea what chart my best show ROI by Qtr? I have > calculated ROI for our sales rep commisions in comparison to our Gross Profit > and wanted to get advice as what chart may be best. ...

reference line on bar chart
Hello, I have excel 2007 I have a horizontal bar chart with about 12 bars. The horizontal axis shows the date; dates range from about 10 days ago to about 3 weeks into the future. I want to draw a vertical reference line at Today's date. Can anyone tell me how to do it please ? Thanks KK Start here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzErrBar.html If that is not good for you, I am sure Jon has an answer that will work for you best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.n...

Bar chart
All Excel versions I know are very good at making bar charts (I mean those charts in which the bars are horizontal). But the problem is that the X-axis is at the bottom, and items for the Y-axis are placed in reverse order as desirable (for example, first item in the series is placed at the bottom -close to the X-axis, last item in the series is placed first from the top -far from the X-axis). I don't know if I'm making myself clear, posting a picture would be more easier but it's impossible. Anyway, my question: Is there any way to: 1-Place the X-axis at the top. 2- Avoid...

Not all of chart printing
When coverting from 2000 to 2003, not all of the chart is printing. I can view it in print preview and it all shows up, but will not all print when using Excel 2003 -- jgsharp What specifically isn't printing? "jgsharp" <jgsharp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5610B32-F986-4B44-9622-27F05F868767@microsoft.com... > When coverting from 2000 to 2003, not all of the chart is printing. I can > view it in print preview and it all shows up, but will not all print when > using Excel 2003 > -- > jgsharp The text boxes at the bottom of the ...

Referencing chart sheets in vba
I asked this question in the programming forum but got no replies, so I'll try it here. I'm trying to adapt some code (from Jon Peltier's website) to scale chart axes based on cell contents. I can get the code to work for charts embedded in the active worksheet and other worksheets, but I can't figure out how to reference a chart that is on it's own sheet. How is this done? Here is the type of code I'm working with: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Chart.Axes(xlCategory) _ .MaximumScale = Target.Value Can anyone help me? Never mind. i f...

Creating a combination chart opportunity
I am trying to create a chart that consists of two bars. The first bar needs to have multiple data ie. like a normal combination graph were the data is visually split in one bar by different colors. The second bar is another data set. I have never seen a chart set up this way, but wondering if possible and the solution to this. I have read that I should try a custom user define, or possibly set up first the combination graph and then add the second set of data. However I have been unsucessful in getting the two rows of bars, it always wants to put all three data sets into one row of bar...

Static Chart using Pivot Table and other data
Using Excel 2000, I am trying to create a Static Chart where the source data is a pivot table and data from a couple of adjacent columns. In the past I have been able to do this. My latest chart is automatically creating a Pivot Chart without the adjacent data. How do I prevent this automation? There are instructions on Jon Peltier's site, for creating a normal chart from PivotTable data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Will wrote: > Using Excel 2000, I am trying to create a Static Chart where the source data is a pivot table and data from a couple of adjacent...

How can i change the default line weight in an excel chart
I select a heavier line weight for a Pivotchart graph so it is easier to see, however every time i change something on the graph from the drop down box the line weight goes back to it default (lighter) weight. ...