Bevaior Chart Graph

I need urgent help for creating a graph for my research, I have been
collecting information on river otter's activities in a set amount of time,
and have a visually appealing spreedsheet. Ex:

(Timings)    1    2    3    4    5
Aggression   B    BC   C    B    2
Play         C         B    C

 Where the letters each individual otter and the 2 represents both
cooperating in the activity. I need to create a graph, any will do at this
point, with this information. I have tried several methods, & have problems
using text variables as well as keeping blank cells from attributing data. If
Excel isn't up to the task, I have access to any office program as well as in
depth knowledge of Excel, so don't hesitate with any suggestions. Thank you.
0
Kitsune (2)

The chart should display

 (Timings)     1    2    3    4    5
Aggression   B    BC  C   B    2
Play              C            B    C

0
Kitsune (2)
5/5/2007 7:54:01 AM
Charts cannot plot text values as anything other than zero.

What you need to do is decide how this should look visually. Then decide on
a chart type in Excel which would provide that visual appearance. Come up
with a numerical equivalence to the letters in the table. Decide how to deal
with multiple individuals in the same cell of the data (seems to me you
should have one row/column per individual, or come up with another way to
depict cooperative behavior).

Then try making your chart, and if it still causes problems, post back here,
explain what you've tried, how you want it to look, and how it looks
instead.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Kitsune" <Kitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need urgent help for creating a graph for my research, I have been
> collecting information on river otter's activities in a set amount of
> time,
> and have a visually appealing spreedsheet. Ex:
>
> (Timings)    1    2    3    4    5
> Aggression   B    BC   C    B    2
> Play         C         B    C
>
> Where the letters each individual otter and the 2 represents both
> cooperating in the activity. I need to create a graph, any will do at this
> point, with this information. I have tried several methods, & have
> problems
> using text variables as well as keeping blank cells from attributing data.
> If
> Excel isn't up to the task, I have access to any office program as well as
> in
> depth knowledge of Excel, so don't hesitate with any suggestions. Thank
> you.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Make more than one graph fit the page
If I select one graph for printing it is automatically sized to fit the page and only the graph is printed. That's great. If I select two or more graphs then the whole bloody worksheet is printed, unless I carefully arrrange the two graphs on the background so that they have equal size, fit the page and after this carefully select the area to print. All this is quite tedious, particularly when thinking of jolly old Lotus where you could just select the two or more graphs and they were sized to fit page and all before printing. Is this Lotus method possible in Excel as well? -- nsv -...

A graph based on the possible values in a cell
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is fairly complicated, and spreads over a few sheets. I have one summary page where I can change values and be given the results on the same page, whilst all the background work goes on in other sheets. Is it possible to insert a graph that follows the value of one cell as the value of another changes. That is, it tests values (say between 1 and 100) in A1 and plots the effect of this on B1. I cant actually just fill for all the values because its all based on this one cell (A1), so i have to change it manually for different answers. Thanks. On Sun, 12 Aug ...

Create combo chart 2007
I now have Excel 2007 and what used to be easy is not so in many cases. One of these cases is the creation of a combo chart - a set of 3 columns that are represented by bars and 1 column represented by a line with a seperate axis. I know I've done it before, I think they were even 3D bars, but now when I try to change the series it changes the whole chart. HELP! Hi, To change the chart type you need to select as single series first. If it's a 3d type then you are, and always have been, out of luck. 3d types do not do combinations. Cheers Andy Johnny G wrote: > I now have E...

Bubble Chart Legend
Is it possible to create a bubble chart with the standard X, Y, and Bubble Size values and then use text in another column as the legend, such as Company A as the legend with the values in Growth Rate, Margin, and Bubble Size? Thanks for your assistance. -- I Teach Excel 2007 Add text bubble labels. http://www.mediafire.com/file/clnnk0mmzzj/09_22_09.xlsm Thanks for the information, but what I was looking for was how to create those labels as a legend. Thanks again. -- I Teach "Herbert Seidenberg" wrote: > Excel 2007 > Add text bubble labels. > http://www.mediafir...

How to set up Paynter graph
Using Excel 2003 SP2. In article <1A047D89-AB0A-49C1-8878-66EE3F8D6E21@microsoft.com>, Mcfitty@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Using Excel 2003 SP2. > Checked google lately? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions A paynter chart is just a clustered column chart (http://www.statit.com/support/top_issues/microsoft/commands/gpaynter.htm). You have to arrange your data properly, of course. Do you have a specific question about this? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MV...

Finding Charts
In microsoft investor, in my portfolio, I am unable to view any charts. When I click on CHARTS, nothing happens. Please advise, as this is very critical to my invsting. Marvin L. Reiner mreiner@bellsouth.net ...

Charts from Pivot Tabels without Scroll Down Bar
Is there an easy way to create a chart from a pivot table without the scroll down bar as shown in the pivot table? On the PivotTable toolbar, choose PivotChart>Hide PivotChart Field Buttons Angel wrote: > Is there an easy way to create a chart from a pivot table without the scroll > down bar as shown in the pivot table? -- Debra Dalgleish Contextures http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Wonderful - Thanks so much "Angel" wrote: > Is there an easy way to create a chart from a pivot table without the scroll > down bar as shown in the pivot table? ...

Chart Help #2
Is there a way to get 5 columns in one cell in a chart? Thanks Bill What do you mean by "5 columns in one CELL"? Please rephrase what you wish to do best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bill" <wjjeannette@meeci.com> wrote in message news:eRaeV2TrJHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to get 5 columns in one cell in a chart? > > Thanks > Bill > > On Mar 25, 12:33 pm, "Bill" <wjjeanne...@meeci.com> wrote: > Is there a way to get 5 columns in ...

Bar graph marker
How do I put a movable horizontal line marker across a bar graph? Start by looking here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzErrBar.html Then here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzSeries.html and http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm They may not be specifically for bar charts but the techniques are applicable best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Sten77" <Sten77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:210D2EA0-4761-4B1E-A8F8-C392902D1D08@microsoft.com... >...

Dynamic Step Chart using range names
Let's create a step chart to illustrate Fed Funds Rates Data at http://www.federalreserve.gov/fomc/fundsrate.htm I create a new book and save it as "Step.xls" (a short name is good idea... see at III) | A B --|----------- ---- 1| Date Fed 2|03-Jan-2000 5.50 3|02-Feb-2000 5.75 4|21-Mar-2000 6.00 5|16-May-2000 6.50 6|03-Jan-2001 6.00 7|31-Jan-2001 5.50 8|15-Feb-2001 5.50 9| II. I have to define Range Names with Insert,Name,Define... 1. Date: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1,1) => I start f...

charting y=e^x
How can I make a chart of y=e^x and have the x axis be a specific range? J Jason - Put your desired X values in A2:A10 (or more if you need more points). In B2 enter this formula =EXP(A2) Fill this formula down to B10 (or as far as you have X values in column A). An easy way to do this is to double click on the tiny black square at the bottom right of cell B2. Now make an XY Scatter chart of A2:B10, and scale your axes appropriately. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ jason wrote: > How can I make a chart ...

Is it possble that a chart move while you scroll
A table has many fields, the chart location above the table on the same sheet. While scrolling to see the data in the table, the chart is not visible. Is there a way to keep chart always show as you scroll? Thanks much!! Put the chart in a high region of your worksheet and select a cell in a row under the chart. Go to the menu and click Window / Freeze Panes. The region above and left from the selected cell are frozen (remain visible) when you scroll. To undo, go to Window / Unfreeze panes. GL, Henk "luvgreen" wrote: > A table has many fields, the chart location above t...

charts won't fully update calculated data
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel For example, I use the RAND() function to generate a series of values, which I then divide into six equal intervals (the precise values vary with each calculation), counting these up using the FREQUENCY function. I then plot these frequency values using a column chart, with the x-axis values being the calculated values for the six intervals. Oddly, the x-axis scale values update on the column chart when I do a recalculation, but the frequency values (i.e., height of the bars) and axis scale do not. I recall there bei...

3D area graph
I have a 3D area graph. I can see where to put the TITLES for the 3 axis, but where to input the VALUES for the Y axis. Values for X and X are OK. The graph puts by itself values such as S201 for Ys which I don't know where it gets them. The data required for Y are contiguous to the source data. Thanks. Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:05:11 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > I have a 3D area graph. I can see where to put the TITLES for the 3 ax= is, > but where to input the VALUES for the Y axis. Values for X and X are O= K. > The graph puts by itself values ...

Setting up a spread sheet so that it yields graph I want.
I want to list the names of 5 birds, the date I took its weight, and the weight of the bird. How do I set up the spreadsheet so that I can make one graph that has five lines, one for each bird, and plots their weight according to date? Dot Create one table with the name in one column, the date in the 2nd column, and the weight in the 3rd column. Then, create a PivotTable (and PivotChart). Put the Name as the column field, the date as the row field, and the weight as the data field. Change the type of the PivotChart from the default Column to Line. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta ww...

Control Charting
I am putting together some control charts and am wondering how I can extend the UCL, LCl and mean lines to the end of my chart. Short of copying and pasting the amounts for the 90 days that I am showing for the rest of my data. Hi have a look at http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: > I am putting together some control charts and am wondering how I can > extend the UCL, LCl and mean lines to the ...

make macros in charts
can someone tell me how to make a macro that will work in a chart, specifically how to format a chart to format the chart and plot areas, and properties (do not move/size with chart). I tried to create the macro, but I get errors. thanks! Hi, It would help if you explained what the errors where and also shown your code. This code will set Don't Move and size property of chartobject as well as set plotarea to automatic border and fill. '-------------------------- Sub Macro1() ' With ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) ' don't move and size chart object ...

Industry chart by industry Report
I have put some custom values into my Accounts' Industry field and have imported all the accounts to reflect the correct industry name. However when I run the report "Account Chart/List by industry" all the values are returned under one category "Industry: Not specified". Why would this be, any suggestions would be great... It works fine if I use the Advanced Find facility...so I'm stumped. I'm assuming that Crystal has to go through the CRM Platform and use standard calls according to the SDK API. ? open the report in crystal designer then clic...

Excel 2003 is missing Built-In Custom Chart Types in Chart Wizard
I recently uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 and now all the built-in custom charts are missing from Excel! When creating a chart using the Chart Wizard, under the Custom Types tab, there is supposed to be a list of built-in charts, when the Built-In radio button is selected. Now, there are none. Does anyone know how to restore those built-in charts? I have tried reinstalling, and that does not work. Also, I could not find an option related to this using "Modify" in Add/Remove Programs. I have Macros that use those charts, and I also need those charts for certain rep...

//excel chart as object to excel chart .
Hi . I have an excel chartobject. When i double click i can edit the chart and the datasheet also appears where i can enter the data in that small window. 1.) How can i convert it back to the Excel Chart. ? 2.) How do i change the source data ? 3.) How can i add / delete the Legends ? AND, how do you assign a datasheet to the excel chart ? rgds Sanjay Kapoor Hi, Sounds more like a MSGraph object than an excel chart. I don't think there is an automatic way to do this. You would need to copy the data from the data sheet and paste into excel. Then create an excel chart on that data. Ch...

Excel crash when using user defined chart
Hi We have an XLUSRGAL.xls file that contains custom charts which has worked fine for years. However on SP3 when you use a user defined custom chart , excel just crashes, and then try's to recover the file. The issue does not occur on SP2. I have tried copying various files (XL8GAL) from the SP2 machine to the SP3 machine but no luck, any help welcome, pulling the last of my hair out. Offcie 2003 SP3, XP SP2, full admin rights, etc I have had the same problem with Excel Spreadsheets at times that contain macros which are stored on the network, at some point get corrupted and you ...

recovering chart source data from deleted files
Hi - I have a file with quite a few charts that were created using source data from another file. That other file has since been deleted by incompetent boss, who now wants me to compare these charts with newer data. Is there anyway I can recover the lost source data using only the charts? Many thanks for all help. This MS Knowledge Base article has a marco to extract data from a chart: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q300643 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ...

pie chart grouping
hello I have some data (exam marks) as follows 64.4 49.3 64.6 76.9 50.9 69.7 73.9 62.6 82.4 68.3 49.4 56.9 59.3 68.6 55.3 74.1 65.9 68.2 67.9 71.5 67.7 64.5 66.7 73.1 41.8 53.3 I want to produce a pie chart that shows marks: 1st = 70% and above, 2:1 = 60 - 69% 2:2 = 50 - 59% 3rd = 40 - 49% Is there an easy way to do this. shane YOu can make a lookup table of the groups: 0 3rd 50 2:2 60 2:1 70 1st With your table of marks starting in cell A1, enter the following formula in cell B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,$D$1:$E$4,2) where D1:E4 is the lookup table. Copy the formu...

Data labels other than charted values
I'm using Microsoft Excel 2000. My question is: I have a bar chart. The format of the Y axis value is shown as percentage and I want to label the value of each bar shown in the graph. However, I want the label to be the true value and not the percent value. How would I do this? Example: You have a budget of $50.00. Harry spent $25, Bill spent $20, and Bob spent $5. The bar graph shows Harry as spending 50%, Bill 40% and Bob as 10%. But I would like the label for each bar to be the original $25, $20, and $5. Is there any way to accomplish this? Rob Bovey's XY Cha...

Unlink a chart in Excel/Powerpoint 2007
Trying to paste an Excel 2007 chart into Powerpoint 2007. If I paste as a graphic, the resolution is too low to read chart text. If I do a default paste or paste special as a Microsoft Office Graphic Object, the chart is linked so that if the source excel spreadsheet is resorted the data changes. I can come up with several ways to export higher resolution graphics of the Excel charts but they are time consuming and I need to do this 1000's of times. None of the Excel 2003 solutions seems to work for Excel 2007. For example the "ungrouping" trick no longer works to...