Better display of my pie charts

Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts?

They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my
report it looks less than professional.  Is there a way to get excel to
smooth the curves better?

Thanks,

Tom

0
tfs1 (23)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said:

>Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts?
>
>They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my
>report it looks less than professional.  Is there a way to get excel to
>smooth the curves better?

Some ideas:

1) Copy it as a Picture (i.e. vector format) instead of a Bitmap

or

2) expand the bitmap to double the size in Excel, and shrink it back to
half the size in Word

or

3) export a big bitmap to a good photo processor like Photo Shop (good
but expensive), Paint Shop Pro (cheaper - I bought it!), or GIMP (free,
I believe), and re-export at smaller size. Unlike Excel, these programs
handle anti-aliasing well for graphics as well as text.

or

4) Get Excel 2007, which is advertised as having better graphics, which
I would *hope* means they now have anti-aliasing of the graphics as well
as the fonts. ("anti-aliasing" is what programs do to avoid
stair-stepping in low-res graphics)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said:
>
>>Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts?
>>
>>They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of
>>my
>>report it looks less than professional.  Is there a way to get excel to
>>smooth the curves better?
>
> Some ideas:
>
> 1) Copy it as a Picture (i.e. vector format) instead of a Bitmap
>
> or
>
> 2) expand the bitmap to double the size in Excel, and shrink it back to
> half the size in Word
>
> or
>
> 3) export a big bitmap to a good photo processor like Photo Shop (good but
> expensive), Paint Shop Pro (cheaper - I bought it!), or GIMP (free, I
> believe), and re-export at smaller size. Unlike Excel, these programs
> handle anti-aliasing well for graphics as well as text.
>
> or
>
> 4) Get Excel 2007, which is advertised as having better graphics, which I
> would *hope* means they now have anti-aliasing of the graphics as well as
> the fonts. ("anti-aliasing" is what programs do to avoid stair-stepping in
> low-res graphics)
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/28/2007 4:19:18 PM
Actually, I just found that if I move the excel sheet to my Mac it looks
100% better.  Which is strange since they are both Excel.

I also found that when I copy and paste the chart (or just move the chart
from the excel sheet to the Mac) there is NO stair stepping.

When I print it, it looks great.  Nice curvy lines around the Mac.

Not sure why the PC can't do the same thing.

It is obviously not the copying that is the problem.  In the Excel sheet on
the PC it looks the sam way (terrible).  On the Mac, it looks great.

I guess I will be doing all my charting on the Mac and not the PC.

Thanks,

Tom

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said:
>
>>Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts?
>>
>>They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of
>>my
>>report it looks less than professional.  Is there a way to get excel to
>>smooth the curves better?
>
> Some ideas:
>
> 1) Copy it as a Picture (i.e. vector format) instead of a Bitmap
>
> or
>
> 2) expand the bitmap to double the size in Excel, and shrink it back to
> half the size in Word
>
> or
>
> 3) export a big bitmap to a good photo processor like Photo Shop (good but
> expensive), Paint Shop Pro (cheaper - I bought it!), or GIMP (free, I
> believe), and re-export at smaller size. Unlike Excel, these programs
> handle anti-aliasing well for graphics as well as text.
>
> or
>
> 4) Get Excel 2007, which is advertised as having better graphics, which I
> would *hope* means they now have anti-aliasing of the graphics as well as
> the fonts. ("anti-aliasing" is what programs do to avoid stair-stepping in
> low-res graphics)
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
tfs1 (23)
11/29/2007 3:50:39 AM
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said:

>Actually, I just found that if I move the excel sheet to my Mac it looks
>100% better.  Which is strange since they are both Excel.

It's not so strange. I've never used Excel for Mac, but I understand it
has much better graphic quality, particularly in anti-aliasing of the
graph elements. I believe it also has features like the ability to
choose the stroke width of the lines around symbols and objects, because
the writers used the Mac's built-in graphics facilities. So Excel for
Mac really does have features that Excel for Windows lacks, they're not
exactly the same application.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
>>Actually, I just found that if I move the excel sheet to my Mac it looks
>>100% better.  Which is strange since they are both Excel.
>
> It's not so strange. I've never used Excel for Mac, but I understand it
> has much better graphic quality, particularly in anti-aliasing of the
> graph elements. I believe it also has features like the ability to choose
> the stroke width of the lines around symbols and objects, because the
> writers used the Mac's built-in graphics facilities. So Excel for Mac
> really does have features that Excel for Windows lacks, they're not
> exactly the same application.

If you want programmability, however, only the PC version has the upgraded
VBA engine that shipped with Excel 2000. Macs use the older version that
Excel 97 included. In future, we hear that MS is planning to drop Mac VBA
support.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
11/29/2007 1:15:15 PM
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said:
>
>>Actually, I just found that if I move the excel sheet to my Mac it looks
>>100% better.  Which is strange since they are both Excel.
>
> It's not so strange. I've never used Excel for Mac, but I understand it
> has much better graphic quality, particularly in anti-aliasing of the
> graph elements. I believe it also has features like the ability to choose
> the stroke width of the lines around symbols and objects, because the
> writers used the Mac's built-in graphics facilities. So Excel for Mac
> really does have features that Excel for Windows lacks, they're not
> exactly the same application.

That was what I found out, also.

I found that text in the charts, such as titles, also display better on the
Mac.

Thanks,

Tom

> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
tfs1 (23)

Exchange 2003: Contacts Display Name
We recently migrated to Exchange 2003, and are noticing a slight problem. Under Exchange 2000, when an internet user sent us a message, and that user was a contact in Active Directory, the display name we set in AD would show up in e-mail, overriding what the user set at home. Under Exchange 2003, this is no longer the case. Are we missing a setting somewhere?? Environment: Windows 2000 AD Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Enterprise. Thanks for any help ...

Combo box to display something else if field is blank
Hi I have a combo box in my form which uses the following query: SELECT [CustomerID], [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] FROM Customers ORDER BY [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] However, if the both the firstname and lastname are blank in the Customer Table I need it to show the BillingAddress instead. Is this possible? My line of thinking is something like this: SELECT [CustomerID], [FirstName] & " " & [LastName] FROM Customers ORDER BY [FirstName] & " " & [LastName]; IFBLANK SELECT [CustomerID], [BillingA...

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

Wrong message displayed
If I move messages to another folder (archive), then go back to read the message, it shows one message, no matter which one I select. It doesn't display any of the other messages. Where might this 'archive' folder be located ? 1. Storage folders 2. Email account If 2, is this a pop3, IMAP, or Hotmail(Http) account ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Marlon Medina" <MarlonMedina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93E6F96B-3619-4491-ADEA-DC84385C3374@microsoft.com... > If I move messages to another folder (archive), then go bac...

Display only duplicate values and delete UNIQUE Items
All I have a very large list of data and on a monthly basis i need to display only the duplicate items in a spreadsheet. I would like to do this in VBA and then run it as a macro on the spreadsheet. Alot of the sites that i have seen only show how to removed the duplicates. Excel 2007 has a function which removed all duplicates but so far i have found nothing that only displays the duplciates.... any ideas anyone? Assuming that the field you use to determine uniqueness is column A, you can put this formula in a helper column: =3DIF(COUNTIF(A:A,A2)>1,"Duplicate","Unique&...

Display order of Bar Chart
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the data not in the order of the categories as I developed it. That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of the y-values best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.s...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Charts and "global" changes
Hello all, I'm actually working in Microsoft Access97, which uses MSGraph 2000 for charting, so I thought this was really a "charting" question... not an Access question. I have an XY scatter chart (using just points... no X or Y error bars or lines) all laid out just fine, but I have a couple of questions that would make my work a lot easier. When the data first displayed on the chart, every data point had a different "style"... circles, triangles, x's, etc... I had to go into every one individually and change them to a black dot at size 3. Isn...

EVENT DISPLAY
Outlook 2007 In the week view of calendar the ALL DAY EVENTS are displayed at the top of the column. If you indicate a specific time for an event you need to scroll down to see it. Is there a way to display specific time events at the top of the column? foodman;124214 Wrote: > Outlook 2007 > > In the week view of calendar the ALL DAY EVENTS are displayed at the > top of > the column. If you indicate a specific time for an event you need to > scroll > down to see it. Is there a way to display specific time events at the > top of > the column...

Which Endian routine is better?
I am converting big endian to little endian and have written these two functions: Function Endian32_UsingString(ByVal n As Long) As Long Dim s As String Dim d As String Dim i As Integer s = Right$("0000000" & Hex$(n), 8) For i = 1 To 7 Step 2 d = Mid$(s, i, 2) & d Next Endian32_UsingString = CLng("&H" & d) End Function Function Endian32_UsingByteArray(ByVal n As Long) As Long Dim big(3) As Byte Dim little(3) As Byte CopyMemory big(0), n,...

Pie chart
Is there an pie chart type where you can explode just one of the sets of data on the chart? I have access to both Excel/Powerpoint 97 and 2003, but there doesn't appear to be any differences in what's available for pie charts. Is there an add-in or something for variations on these pie or other charts. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. Diana Create a regular pie chart in Excel Click on the pie to select it (each slice will have a black handle on its outer edge) Click on the slice that you want to explode (only that slice will now have handles) Drag out the select...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

Removing Display of cost fields
We use manufacturing and SOP. I have a request by the owner to remove the display of the current and standard cost fields for all but a select few users. The users would still need to be able to see the price lists. Is this possible? You could use Modifier to create copies of the existing forms, hide the cost fields, and grant security to the modified forms to the users you don't want viewing the cost data. Grant security to the unmodified forms to those users you do want to see the cost data. It would be nice if you could do this in Field Level Security but unfortun...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

Customisation
I want to have the "contract line" entity available on the Service Tab. In the entity I can see under "Information", the "areas that display this entity" but it is greyed out. How do I get access to allow the tick boxes to be changed? ...

External e-mails in public folder is displayed as a post
I'm migrating from E2K to E2K3 and where in the old situation the external e-mails appeared as e-mails in our public folder, now they appear as a "post". Internal e-mails are treated as e-mails. How do i change this behaviour, so that all e-mails are treated as e-mails? Hans On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:03:38 +0100, "Hans Nietsze" <nietsze@hotmail.com> wrote: >I'm migrating from E2K to E2K3 and where in the old situation the external >e-mails appeared as e-mails in our public folder, now they appear as a >"post". Internal e-mails are treated ...

Equation in a chart
Dear all There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a box or a text box or another way and to make it with a simple = to bring me a value of a cell? either a number or a percentage? I currently using Excel XP edition Thanks in advance Manos Hi try the following: - insert this textbox - select the textbox and hit F (to get into the formula bar) - now enter your formula. e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Manos wrote: > Dear all > > There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a > box or a text box or another way and...

Recommend a spam filter for Outlook2003 (i.e. anything better than Spambayes?)
Hi Can anyone recommend a spam filter for Outlook2003? I have tried SpayBayes for a couple of year... but now want something that works better! (I need something that works on my PC -i.e. within Outlook) The problems with SpamBayer are that: a) it seem to filter legit stuff from real people There is now way of saying "NEVER filter email from these people I have written to." b) I keep having to set up new mail accounts on my WindowsXP - and each time I set a new Outlook account up it 'forgets' everything it has learnt! c) there is no help from OTHER users. i.e. the commu...

Drop down list for graphs/charts
My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten different graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the groups, it will give us that graph. Can this be done? Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down selection. Plot M1:M10 o...

Data display incomplete after creating Pivot Table
I have created pivot table from spreedsheet. One of the fields "additional comments" doesn't display fully in the pivot report. I have tried increasing column widths and row widths. I have also tried using Alt+enter as suggested in some of other discussion forum. Nothing is working so far. Any help appreciated. Thank you! Hi komal. I have just put up a file for you at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ It is item number 36 towards the top of my home page. It works OK for me. Check out the file. I hope that it helps in some way. If my comments have h...

Missing menu bar when chart is selected
I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise toolbars but this doesn't help. When you activate a chart the Worksheet Menu Bar (WMB) normally disappears and the Chart Menu Bar (CMB) takes its place. The CMB looks exactly the same except that it has a Chart menu...