Best Line chart to use?

I'm trying to create a chart that shows the run time (in minutes) o
data backups at work.

They start at various times from 00:00 to 23:59, with varying lengths.

3-D looks the best on paper, where it seems best to have the 24 hou
clock across the x-axis with the run time as the Z-axis. I then need t
somehow have each server running 'into' the graph for the run time
This allows me to have a few 'stacked' on top of each other in cas
multiple servers all start to backup at say, 03:00.

Only I can't get it to work..lol

Can you suggest a more relevant chart type, or if not, how I can solv
this puzzle..?

Thanks a lot..

Kurt -

Do you want a Gantt chart? You list the servers along the left hand
vertical axis. If server A started at 03:00 and ended at 03:30, you get
a horizontal bar from 03:00 to 03:30 at the level of A. If Server B
started at 03:00 but ran until 04:00, your bar would start where A's bar
started, but it would run twice as long.

Some links:

Gantt Charts in Microsoft Excel
   http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343
Gantt Chart Links
   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Kurt_wylde < wrote:

> I'm trying to create a chart that shows the run time (in minutes) of
> data backups at work.
>
> They start at various times from 00:00 to 23:59, with varying lengths.
>
> 3-D looks the best on paper, where it seems best to have the 24 hour
> clock across the x-axis with the run time as the Z-axis. I then need to
> somehow have each server running 'into' the graph for the run time.
> This allows me to have a few 'stacked' on top of each other in case
> multiple servers all start to backup at say, 03:00.
>
> Only I can't get it to work..lol
>
> Can you suggest a more relevant chart type, or if not, how I can solve
> this puzzle..?
>
> Thanks a lot..

> ---

DOjonNOT (619)
4/30/2004 5:02:02 AM
Jon,

That is EXACTLY what I want..!!
The floating chart on the link you gave is perfect.. If I were 'that
way inclined, I'd give you a kiss..haha.

Thanks again..

K:

That's okay, a simple Thank You will suffice.

- Jon
-------

Kurt_wylde < wrote:

> Jon,
>
> That is EXACTLY what I want..!!
> The floating chart on the link you gave is perfect.. If I were 'that'
> way inclined, I'd give you a kiss..haha.
>
> Thanks again..
>
> K:)
>

> ---

DOjonNOT (619)

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

Queries and Charts

Using scanner in Word97

Using later version of microsoft access

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Updating a chart Automatically

line chart with NA() values

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

mysession & deleting a line item on the pos screen
I want to automatically have my dll delete a line on the pos screen. So I have tried to do a myssion.transaction.entries(1).Delete and other sorts of things. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help on this. Hi, Use code like this: For Each item In mysession.Transaction.entries If FindItem(item.item.id, item.quantity, item.item.description) Then mysession.Transaction.entries.remove(item) End If Next "ClothingStore" wrote: > I want to automatically have my dll delete a line on the pos screen. ...

Excel 2007 Line Chart
Hello, Is it possible to configure a line chart in Excel 2007 to ignore the intervals and graph straight to the next value. For example if I have the periods: Jan with the value 1000 Feb with the value 900 March with the value 500 April with the value 0 May with the value 0 June with the value 0 I want the March value to drop directly from 500 to 0 ignoring the interval to April, I do not want a curved line it must drop directly to zero then the line is straight across to April. I have no idea if this is possible, any ideas? Thanks, Brett On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:40:45 -0700 (PDT), TyreDu...

referencing lines and series points
what is the VBA code for referencing to individual points in a line on line graph? i would like to create a macro to change indiviual points shapes and the color or the lines in between them to different color depending on different parameters. is this possible -- medicenpringle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- medicenpringles's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39101 Ther easiest way to do this is to first record a macro doing what y...

Chart Linking
How can a cell in one workbook be linked to data in another workbook. Kenneth Hi try the following: - open both workbooks - in the target workbook enter the equatrion sign '=' - now select with your mouse the source cell in the other workbook and hit ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kenneth" <pby5acat@tpg.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40b4a089@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > How can a cell in one workbook be linked to data in another workbook. > Kenneth > > Or copy the source cell, select the target cell, choose Paste Special from the Ed...

How to use different return email addresses
I use outlook 98. I have a mailbox with three aliases. People sending me emails can use any of the three email aliases and the email will arrive in the same mailbox. Accessing the mailbox once will retrieve all messages regardless of which alias was used. If I reply to these emails though, I want the recipient to think that the email has come from the alias that they originally used. What outlook always seems to do is use the email address of the service that is listed first in Tools->Services->Delivery. Is there any way Outlook can be set up so when I reply to a given email, my email ...

best fit line
I have a line graph with 6 series plotted (I.e. 6 different lines--sales on y, months of x). How do i add a best fit line to the chart? When i select Add Treanline, it only lets you select one series (and I'm assuming the result you get is a linear y=mx+b line....i 'm looking for the best fit line for serveral series... Thanks. jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com since it is a line chart, there are several things you could try. If it is justified, you could generate an average of the data points for each x point and plot it. Make a trend line of the average th...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...