Beginner help needed with line chart

I'm in a Management Science class going through some probability and
statistics stuff. I'm trying to create a graph that imitates the one
in the book. We're using QM for Windows, but I wanted to something
simple in Excel in order to understand the problems.

I have all the data, but figuring out how to set it up in Excel is
what's killing me.

Two categories:

Receivers with a line drawn from point 0,20 to 40,0
CD players with a line drawn from point 60,0 to 0,20

I want the lines to originate and end on the axis themselves, excel
wants to place them in the middle of the entire graph.

The other thing is I want to enter individual points as above and not
do something like 40,20.

Any help would be appreciated.
0
com

I don't understand your description, but suspect that you need to be using an
"XY (Scatter)" chart instead of a "Line" chart.  You can include lines on
either.  The distinction is that a "Line" chart assumes that the x axis is
made up of categories (with or without user supplied category labels) instead
of a numeric scale.

Jerry

"-@-.com" wrote:

> I'm in a Management Science class going through some probability and
> statistics stuff. I'm trying to create a graph that imitates the one
> in the book. We're using QM for Windows, but I wanted to something
> simple in Excel in order to understand the problems.
>
> I have all the data, but figuring out how to set it up in Excel is
> what's killing me.
>
> Two categories:
>
> Receivers with a line drawn from point 0,20 to 40,0
> CD players with a line drawn from point 60,0 to 0,20
>
> I want the lines to originate and end on the axis themselves, excel
> wants to place them in the middle of the entire graph.
>
> The other thing is I want to enter individual points as above and not
> do something like 40,20.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

0
post_a_reply (1395)
2/13/2007 3:44:01 PM
dear jerry
please give me a code in c# that plots numeric data in x and y axis
thanks

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> I don't understand your description, but suspect that you need to be using an
> "XY (Scatter)" chart instead of a "Line" chart.  You can include lines on
> either.  The distinction is that a "Line" chart assumes that the x axis is
> made up of categories (with or without user supplied category labels) instead
> of a numeric scale.
>
> Jerry
>
> "-@-.com" wrote:
>
> > I'm in a Management Science class going through some probability and
> > statistics stuff. I'm trying to create a graph that imitates the one
> > in the book. We're using QM for Windows, but I wanted to something
> > simple in Excel in order to understand the problems.
> >
> > I have all the data, but figuring out how to set it up in Excel is
> > what's killing me.
> >
> > Two categories:
> >
> > Receivers with a line drawn from point 0,20 to 40,0
> > CD players with a line drawn from point 60,0 to 0,20
> >
> > I want the lines to originate and end on the axis themselves, excel
> > wants to place them in the middle of the entire graph.
> >
> > The other thing is I want to enter individual points as above and not
> > do something like 40,20.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

0
abdo (4)

Inserting charts into many workbooks
Hi, I'm using Excel 2007 and am pretty new to VBA. I have a folder with 40 or so workbooks- all with the same worksheet table format. The worksheets are huge (20 000 + rows, 50 or so columns). I need to open a workbook, make several fully formatted graphs, then insert the same graphs into every workbook , updated them with that workbooks' data. Any ideas on code for this? This isn't fully automated, but it will save some time. In one workbook, create the chart and format it to your specs. Then paste the chart into another workbook, and use the utility linked to i...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

web address help
whats the web address for outlook so i can sign on? I have it stored on my home computer but dont have it here thanks Outlook doesn't have a web address unless you use an Exchange server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64da01c3e61b$58282fc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > whats the web address for outlook...

HELP!! Viewing email images

arrows along a line
Visio 2002 Is it possible to add arrow points along a line at intermittant locations .... not just at the end. Thanks. Hi Cowtoon, If you have a definite number of arrows that you want, do this: 1. Draw a line segment 2. Copy it several times, placing them all end-to-end 3. Select all the segments and choose Shape > Operations > Combine 4. Apply arrowhead formatting. Or, you may need a custom line pattern instead. Look here for more info: A detailed tutorial from MS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devref/HTML/DVS_10_Managing_Styles,_Formats,_and_...

help!! smtp protocol error occurred
exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. receives fine. Still waiting for some relavent information so we can help you solve your problem. >-----Original Message----- >exchange 2000 srv/windows 2k srv >smtp protocol error occurred when trying to send mails. >receives fine. > > >. > I had that problem, I telneted into the servers that the error occurred and found I was on a blacklist. Had to sumit to an open relay test, and bam, no more problems. ...

To write living will do I need special format
I just need to change and update a living trust You should consult someone with the appropriate legal knowledge in the jurisdiction in which you are domiciled. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "belladonna" <belladonna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F25A64CB-355F-44E9-A005-16AA61DA15A7@microsoft.com... > I just need to change and update a living trust ...

Help !!!!
I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep But i can't create mailboxes ??? Why??? some documentation please... What actually happens? What error do you get? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "A.dian´┐Ż" <Adian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB593F-F4DD-4CAB-9F4E-C2131BF7CF95@microsoft.com... > I was migration my Exchange 2000 to 2003 I do my forest prep and domain prep > But i can't create mailboxes ??? > Why??? > some documentation...

I get COMException while exporting chart on IIS 6.0.
I have this code that works perfectly on my development machine when I deployed it at customer site it gets exception. Here is the error and my code: thanks error ========== Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the c...

Help ! formatting data to text

chart line style problem
I am making a scatter chart (with lines) in Excel 2007 under Vista. I can select a line style, for example, long dashes. However, if I try to change the axis (change from "automatic" to "fixed" on the horizontal axis), the line on the chart immediately becomes solid again. The legend still shows the proper dashing. I can get the dashing partly back by making the line thinner, but only where the variation is fastest - regions where the derivative is near zero are still solid even for thin lines. I'll appreciate any help! frank I was not able to reproduce this. Can you...

form and query problem. please help.

suggestion needed !!!!!!!!!!
In my company the want to calculate phone calls done by each sales person at the end of the day. Please give me suggestion how to implement this. Mahain, A quick solution would be 1) Create an advance find view based on the criteria you are looking for ie. Activity of the type phone call, Status = completed 2) Export the list to Excel (Dynamic pivot table/worksheet) 3) If pivot : Drag and drop relavent fields 3) If worksheet: filter by date and use sum. The advantage of dynamic excel report is it updates itself when ever you open the sheet. Hope this is helpful Venkat http://venkatbendalam...

Integration Manager need a registration key for test company?
Hi all, Can anyone tell if I need the registration key for IM if I am doing some testings on Test company (World Online)? Also, can I specify the company database in IM for the data to import to? Please advise. Thanks You do not need a reg key for the Two Company, and if you are using the standard adapter the data will integrate into the Company that is open in Great Plains. You can Specify which database you want to integrate into by using the SQL Optimizer. You do not need great Plains open for this adapter. "Terry" wrote: > Hi all, > > Can anyone tell if I nee...

Newbe help with a lookup
Hi, I&#8217;m trying to make some modifications to a salary matrix and I&#8217;m having trouble with a lookup. In column A I have a series of numbers from 0 to 30 representing pay grade steps where 0 represents a new employee and 30 represents an employee having completed 30 years of service. In column B I have an annual salary for each of the corresponding pay grade steps. I want to take a new salary and find the closest salary in column B and return the corresponding step number. For example if the new salary is $73,415.13 and the matrix shows step 15 is 73,205 and step 16 is 73...

HELP
We have an application that is used by over 8000 people worldwide. One of our users is just starting to have the following problem: Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)': Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed I have read that this problem can be caused by trying to open the file in Internet Explorer. The user has told me that she has tried opening MS Excel and then the .xls file and she still gets the same problem when the file is trying to open. She is the only one that has had this problem. Could there be something wrong with her Excel settings or som...

Inconsistent Chart Sizing Into PPT
Can't get charts to paste into PowerPoint with consistent size. To test, I expanded (using the corner handles) two charts to exactly fill the screen. When I copy/paste each chart into an individual slide in PowerPoint, one is noticibally larger than the other. Is there a way to make the charts the same size and paste the same size? I have an article on this in the works, due out in about 24 months, the rate I'm going. A. Use embedded charts, and use Copy Picture (hold shift while selecting Edit menu, os Copy turns to Copy Picture) with On Screen and As Picture options. B. ...

Charting dynamic range
Ok let me say i fully understand how to name a range and in the source data use the formula =sheetname!rangename Problem arrises when my macro that runs an advanced filter with the source data and add data to the bottom of the range the chart reverts back to it's initial data source =sheet1!$a$4:$b$15 so even though it accept the named range intitailly once the advanced filter runs it almost ommits the named range. I am using 2007 and i never had this problem in 2003. What suggestions do you have for me? Thank you!!!!! -- Thank you, Jennifer ...

Default font in charts
Is there any way to change the default font in charts? ie, I'd like every axis and title to be 16pt Times New Roman right off the bat. Thanks. Alex "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6096B69F-DCF5-4BB8-8158-433A4A416053@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font in charts? ie, I'd like every > axis and title to be 16pt Times New Roman right off the bat. Thanks. Set up a chart the way you want it to look. Right-click in its chart area and choose Chart Type. Click the Custom Types tab and hit the "set as default...

Help with keeping inventory.
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm trying t come up with a way to keep inventory of product. Basically what I need is to keep track of the current inventory of items... and what I'd like is for different users to be able to ope the worksheet and enter the NUMBER OF PRODUCT they are removing at tha time.... and for the total inventory of each item to be adjuste accordingly. The only catch is - I'd like to be able to use the SAM CELL always -- that is - I want only one cell to be the one that i used to enter the amount of inventory being o...

Dynamic chart labels
I am using a dynamic bar chart and want to add a label to an individua data point. Is there a way to do this so that the label follows th data point as the chart updates -- danoPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces A datalabel will follow the datapoint and update as appropriate. To add data labels to a series, double click the series and click on the Data Labels tab. To add data labels to a single point, select the series then the point (two single clicks), then double click on the point, and again click on the Data Labels tab. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Ex...