Bar or Column Charts With Weighted Width

For many of my reports that are on a monthly category basis, I would
like to reflect the weight of each month's significance by varying its
presence on the category axis.

Currently, I show the value for each month/category, but the width of
each month is the same. Keen business users know some months are more
significant than others, but it would be really great if I could depict
this distribution well.

Marimekko seems to cross paths with my need but I'm not really sure if
it is the solution. Can anyone suggest ideas?
0
smartin108 (170)

You may want to try making a Cascade chart:

Variable Width Column Charts (Cascade Charts)
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/variable-width-column-charts/

As you see, the protocol is long and tedious. I've built a commercial
app to create these charts with one click:

Peltier Tech Cascade Chart Utility
http://peltiertech.com/Utility/CascadeUtility.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
774-275-0064
http://peltiertech.com/

On 8/2/2010 10:48 PM, smartin wrote:
> For many of my reports that are on a monthly category basis, I would
> like to reflect the weight of each month's significance by varying its
> presence on the category axis.
>

> Currently, I show the value for each month/category, but the width of
> each month is the same. Keen business users know some months are more
> significant than others, but it would be really great if I could depict
> this distribution well.
>
> Marimekko seems to cross paths with my need but I'm not really sure if
> it is the solution. Can anyone suggest ideas?
Thanks Jon -- I like it.

The protocol is not that bad once you get used to it. I will probably
test the presentation out on a few of my savvy customers to see if they
get anything out of it.

Jon Peltier wrote:
> You may want to try making a Cascade chart:
>
> Variable Width Column Charts (Cascade Charts)
> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/variable-width-column-charts/
>
> As you see, the protocol is long and tedious. I've built a commercial
> app to create these charts with one click:
>
> Peltier Tech Cascade Chart Utility
> http://peltiertech.com/Utility/CascadeUtility.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> 774-275-0064
> http://peltiertech.com/
>

> On 8/2/2010 10:48 PM, smartin wrote:
>> For many of my reports that are on a monthly category basis, I would
>> like to reflect the weight of each month's significance by varying its
>> presence on the category axis.
>>

>> Currently, I show the value for each month/category, but the width of
>> each month is the same. Keen business users know some months are more
>> significant than others, but it would be really great if I could depict
>> this distribution well.
>>
>> Marimekko seems to cross paths with my need but I'm not really sure if
>> it is the solution. Can anyone suggest ideas?
0
smartin108 (170)

Can not get Excel macros to save chart format -lost in space!
Help??? I've been searching this forum for 5 days trying to find a problem similar to what I am having without any luck. I have been trying to use Excel macro to record the creation, formating and saving of a simple bar chart against my Excel data range but the macros do not run for the chart. I am able to creat the charts okay but the macro craps out when I run it. I keep getting " Set ActiveChart = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(Chart1)" type errors as if it's not recognizing the chart that I just made. I am an advanced Excel person BUT not so with VB coding. ...

Help with Charts
:confused -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I work in a Doctors surgery and I'm creating a Spread Sheet for select number of patients to monitor their blood results. I need about 30 charts on each patients sheet, To save me doing eac one seperately I have tryed to copy and paste them in to the nex patients details.... But all the charts refer to the previous patient details. Is there anyway of copying them so that they relate to th sheet they are copied in to? Thanx Alexandra Huckerby (fustrated and tired!! -- ~lexy -----------------...

refer to second column of listbox
Hi, I have a multi selected listbox. How can I refer to the second column of the listbox? Me.lstContract.ItemData(varItem).column(1) ??? Dim varItem As Variant For Each varItem In Me.lstContract.ItemsSelected gstrReportFilter = "[Ck_ContractID]='" & Me.lstContract.ItemData(varItem) & "'" ''DoCmd.OpenReport "rptCoFundActivity_k" '', , , gstrReportFilter DoCmd.OpenReport "rptCostShareContribution_k", acViewPreview '', , gstrReportFilter Next varItem SF ...

Overlapping bars within chart
Sample scenario: Let's say in each year, I have this many cats: 2010: 6 2011: 8 2012: 20 Out of those cats, let's say that the following number have been neutered: 2010: 1 2011: 4 2012: 18 Is there a way for me to create a form of bar chart that shows the total number of cats per year as a "background" bar, with the total number of neutered cats in each year as a skinnier "foreground" bar that is a different color and overlays the background bar? I just figured this out on my own. As an FYI to anyone else, here was my solution: 1. Plot the ...

Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet
I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As i stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot dat as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and char 1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to shee 1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer t sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names. When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference doe not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done? If not, can I create multiple chart titles? Any help o...

Timeline bar chart
Hello, I am trying to create a bar chart based on key dates in a project. There are 20 different part numbers, all with individual timelines. Some parts of the process take many days, some one, etc. I want a bar chart that signifys these key dates, as well as shows a bar running throught the course of each individual aspect (ie, 12/2 - 12/8). I am having trouble doing this with dates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- shane476 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shane476's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&u...

menu bar disappeared
Dear all Using MS Publisher 2003 and, dunno how, but the top menu bar has disappeared. I can access all the normal toolbars but no menu bar. Any clues as to what I may have done and how to get it back. Would uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling solve the problem?? Have tried uninstalling Publisher 2003 and reinstalling it but no difference. TIA -- Jon Manley Try this, Alt+V, click toolbars, customize, Toolbars tab, click reset. In the same dialog, Options tab, Reset menu and toolbar usage data. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news:/...

Keep Pivot Table custom chart type
I'm creating a pivot table custom chart type "Line - Column on 2 Axes". The chart looks great when I create it. The problem is when the user does anything to the chart (filters the data, adds a new flield of data, etc.), the chart changes to where both data series are displayed as bar charts and the second axis is gone. I can't find an event that fires when they modify the chart, so I don't know that I can programatically change it back. Is there a way to keep it from changing in the first place? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks! Loss of formatting is a known prob...

return a column no
I have a cell containing text. I need a formula that takes the text and finds an exact match in a row and return the column no. Eg Find Text: Name3 Name1 Name2 Name3 Name4 Name5 I want to return the column number which in this case is row 3. I know there is a simple formula but I cant find it Thanks =match(a2,1:1,0) will return the number of the column of the first match (if there is one). Assumes that the Name3 is in A2 and the names are listed in A1:IV1 (row 1) Craig McLaughlin wrote: > > I have a cell containing text. I need a formula that takes the text...

Rotating a line chart?
Is it possible to rotate a line chart so it looks like a vertical chart rather than a horizontal chart? And if so, once it is rotated, can one still interact with the chart and it's data? Thank you. Visit Excel Tips and Cases http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/index.html and scroll down to 'Invert and rotate charts' The direct link http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/0201-chart%20invert%20and% 20rotate.pdf is almost certain to change in the near future. The above applies to a XY Scatter chart. Hopefully, you can use that instead of a line chart. -- Regards, Tusha...

Column Headers #7
How do I print Column Headers on every page? File | Page Setup | Sheet Put the row you want to Repeat in the spot provided for Rows to Repeat at top. tj "Cscritch" wrote: > How do I print Column Headers on every page? ...

shorcut to formular bar
When I highlighted a cell, i want to quick jump to the formular bar an I don't know if there is any shorcut so that I don't have to use t mouse to click on it. Another problem I have is when highlight a cell, what is the shortcu or best way to hightlight all the words in that cell. Thank y'al -- m_joh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- m_john's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=32 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=75466 Visit - http://www.officehelp.in | http://www.officehelp.in/archive/index.ph...

Combining Stack bar and Line Charts
I'm trying to display 2 sets of data within the same chart; I want to display yr 1 data in a stacked bar format and yr 2 data in a line format. Both data sets would use the same axis; month and volume. I need to distinctively display each mo/yr together to show any increases or decreases in volume. Any suggestions you have are appreciated! -- tibor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tibor's Profile: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=156 View this thread: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1...

Simple charting question
I don't believe I'm having so much trouble with this. I'm trying to make a graph with Temperature (Celesius) as the X-axis and Baseball Speed (Km/hr) as the Y-axis. When I highlight the columns below and try to make a bar graph - 0 44.1 1 47 3 44.7 4 43.5 5 50.2 13 59.9 I get two series plotted or shown seperately. I would like to get one of the following: ...

Add names to scatter plot chart
I have three columns of info in my excel spreadsheet. column 1 has names, column 2 has numbers and column 3 has numbers. I can create the scatter plot chart just fine, but what I am having a problem with is that I cannot get the names from column one to show next to the points on the scatter plot. How is this done? -- oberon.black ------------------------------------------------------------------------ oberon.black's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26732 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471758 I'm gu...

Chart
Chart - Title Widths Does anyone know how to find the width of a title/axis title? ...

Change Display Order in Charts
I have an X-Y chart with a cloud of points and a line. When the chart plots, the line is always hidden behind the cloud of points. Can I bring the line to the top so it becomes visible? I tried making the line first and last, but it always ends up behind the cloud. Thank you. Lines for a given chart group (group of data series) are plotted behind points of that same chart group in an XY chart. However, you can change the chart group by changing the axis on which the chart group is plotted. Make the plot with one series formatted as markers only and another as lines only, double cli...

Renaming a column label
How do I rename the column header labels from "A", "B", etc. to something else? Made a valiant effort. Can't figure it out. Mike -- DO NOT reply to the "from" address in this post. Instead, construct a reply address from this template: v6nos at yahoo dot com. Short answer: you don't - that capability (other than using numbers - check the Tools/Options/General R1C1 reference style checkbox) doesn't exist in XL. Longer answer: If you hide the row and column headers (Tools/Options/View) you can format Row 1 for column headers. You can even use t...

Comparing two Columns #3
I have to columns full of data one column is "inventory" and the secon column is "charged items" inventory is what should be on the shel according to the computer, and charged items are the books that ar checked out. So the inventory - charged items would more less give m what "should" be on the shelf according to the computer. So I want column C to list me everything that is in Column A that i not in Column B. Column A is Inventory Column B is charged items (goes up to 6000). After I typed it out it seems very simply I just haven't figured ou how to...

Macro Assigned to Tool Bar Button
How can I tell what Macro is assigned to a tool bar button? Thanks Right-Click the Toolbar and select Customize. Then Right-Click the button and select Assign Macro... "C" <C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ADB30E4-7ADD-43B8-8696-53C97C9D4100@microsoft.com... > How can I tell what Macro is assigned to a tool bar button? > > Thanks Thanks Jim. That was fairly simple. "Jim Spiller" wrote: > Right-Click the Toolbar and select Customize. Then Right-Click the button > and select Assign Macro... > >...

Relating one column to another
Stupid newbie question coming up: Let's say that in column A I have a series (not sequential) of numbers. In column B I have a word that goes with that number. In column C, I have numbers, which represent the same words as the number in column a represents the word in column B. In other words, I have: Number Word Type: 1: Banana 2 2: Fruit 3: Sausage 4 4: Meat I want to end up with Number Word Type: 1: Banana Fruit 2: Fruit 3: Sausage Meat 4: M...

scroll bar problem
When I left click and drag the horizontal or vertical scroll bars in Excel , nothing scrolls. All I get is a pop-up box that indicates a row or column # (and then movement after releasing the left mouse button). Scroll works fine on web pages. Any ideas? That's the normal Excel scrollbar dragging behavior up thorough Excel 2000. Starting with Excel 2002 the scrolling was real time. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

How may I add more than 256 columns to an Excel spreadsheet?
I am trying to create a horizontal 12 month calendar in an Excel spreadsheet. I need 370 columns. Is there anyway to accomplish this within Excel? SPO, excel only has 256 columns -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "SPO" <SPO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75457654-C31C-4787-9790-D07E220849BA@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a horizontal 12 month calendar in an Excel spreads...

combining charts from two spreadsheets
I hope someone can help me with this: I have two charts. The one thing these charts have in common are the addresses (the charts are from two different sources). On one chart, I will have monthly sales for the addresses. On another chart, I will have how much each location paid in expenses. I would like to combine these charts into one chart. The addresses on one chart will correspond to the addresses on the other chart and from their, I would like the other information to fall into place. Is this possible? Thanks for any help. this is totally out of the blue, but are you related to...

sum values from the same item in a single column?
Hi, I have a query to get a table like this: Item Num Values A 1 10 A 2 22 A 3 78 B 1 32 B 2 40 B 3 87 C 1 34 C 2 76 C 3 98 actually each "Item" has more than a thousand of "Num". how to sum all "Item" (A+B+C) at each "Num"? Like: Num Sum 1 76 2 138 3 263 Thanks! pemt pemt, Have a look at Crosstab queries under Help, that should give you what you...