Bar-Line Combo Chart

This question is for Jon...

I found your explanation of this
(http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BarLineCombo.html) extremely
helpful!  But I noticed that the chart only works on the range of 3 to
10 data points.  With less than 3 or with more than 10 data points, the
lines get out of alignment with the bars (the bars and the vertical axis
labels remain properly aligned, but the lines no longer do).  If you
know how to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate your reply.
Thank you so much.

--
mjamromi
mjamromi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22621

Hi,

Sure Jon won't mind me jumping in.
The points don't line up as the secondary y axis has changed it's
maximum value so you need stop it being automatic and specify the value.
The best time to do that is when you change the 1st bar series into
xy-scatter, BUT do not change these 2 properties until you have set the
secondary y axis.
� Categories in reverse order
� Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum category

Then your points should align, as long as the maximum value you specify
is correct.

If you have already built your chart then you can unset those 2
properties. Then you the Chart Options to first remove the secondary y
axis. The again to apply it, when you re-apply the axis you should then
be able to select and set it.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Thanks for your reply.  The one thing I seem to be unable to do is get
the secondary Y axis to display.  I've turned it off and on again using
Chart Options, but I can't get it to show.  How do I get it to work?

--
mjamromi
mjamromi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22621
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375131

Have you unchecked the crosses at maximum AND In reverse order flags for
the main Y axis?

mjamromi wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  The one thing I seem to be unable to do is get
> the secondary Y axis to display.  I've turned it off and on again using
> Chart Options, but I can't get it to show.  How do I get it to work?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
5/31/2005 2:15:21 PM
My web page was written based on Excel 97. The secondary Y axis was
never explicitly scaled for the data. A maximum value between 3 and 8
for a typical chart size just happened to display properly with the
default scale settings.

In earlier version of Excel (97 and maybe 2000), when you add the
scatter series, only the secondary X axis appears automatically, not the
secondary Y axis. To display this axis, go to Chart Options on the Chart
menu, click on the Axes tab, and check the Secondary Y Axis box.

In Excel 2003 (and presumably 2002), changing the second series to a
Scatter type adds both secondary axes. This is among the very few
charting enhancements that has come along since Excel 97; another is the
expanded options for data labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Andy Pope wrote:

> Have you unchecked the crosses at maximum AND In reverse order flags for
> the main Y axis?
>
> mjamromi wrote:
>
>> Andy,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.  The one thing I seem to be unable to do is get
>> the secondary Y axis to display.  I've turned it off and on again using
>> Chart Options, but I can't get it to show.  How do I get it to work?

Some poor slob installed Ubuntu. Needs to run line commands to get that piece of crap to work
I installed ubuntu 9.10 and it was rebooting just before the login screen. After really long search it turned out it's the video driver, I guess the one coming with ubuntu didn't like my card. I have integrated Radeon HD3200. What worked for me: 1. Select recovery mode from grub menu (in your case for 9.10 too) 2. In the first following screen select "root with networking" to have internet 3. Install video driver package EnvyNG with: sudo apt-get install envyng-core envyng-qt <==================== line commands to get sucky Ubuntu to work. Oops. 4. Run i...

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

How do I get rid of these weird lines?
Here is a pic: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/majchan/weirdlines.jpg I can't select them, I can't delete them, all I can do is move them up or down a line. I tried copying my document into a new document, and the lines are copied with it. How do I get rid of them? I am using Word 2002. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "majean" <majean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E47F9E5-268D-49C5-88CA-D3F...

Text box disappears on chart
I added a text box to a chart and when I click off of it, the text box disappears (goes behind the chart). I have tried Bring to Front and Bring Forward, and it may or may not stay visible and print. I have clicked on the frame of the text box (it changes pattern) and tried Bring to Front - same problem. Any ideas? Carole O The text box is on the worksheet, not the chart. To fix the problem, Select the text box, and choose Edit>Cut Select the chart (you'll see handles on its corners and sides) Choose Edit>Paste, to paste the text box onto the chart. Click away from the char...

How can I get the selected item number from a combo box?
How can I get the selected item number from a combo box. Say that combo has only two items: (Madam;Mister). If "Madam" is selected, I would like to get item number of Madam < it is zero in this example. Thank you You refer to the value via the name of the control. If it is multi-column, you append .column(number) to the name where number is 0 for the first column. -Dorian "mezzanine1974" wrote: > How can I get the selected item number from a combo box. Say that > combo has only two items: (Madam;Mister). > If "Madam" is selected, I would like to g...

Language Bar
I used to be able to select from several languages (English, French, German,) for keyboard input with a little En, Fr, De icon selectable in my lower taskbar. That seems to have gone away, following our extensive effort in modifying services. I did all switching by double- clicking on the icon, to get the various language abbreviations to appear as a menu. I tried Start>>Control Panel>>Regional and Languages but that sets hot key selection and I like the taskbar. "Help" doesn't seem to lead me there either...... Did you click the language bar button in r...

Chart numbers from multiple sheets
Is Excel 2002 capable of creating a chart based on numbers from multiple sheets in a workbook? Addressed in your other thread. Regards, Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31954 ...

Bubble Charts Colours go wrong
Hi, I have some bubble charts which are maintained by a VB script i wrote. The script sets up a data series based on a table with custom labels, sizes and colours for each bubble. I've now come across a problem that despite my macro setting the colour of the bubbles correctly and even the sample colour box in >format data series> patterns showing the colour i want, the bubble does not. please help! Darren. You don't show the code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 E...

Can I create a bar graph with both stacked and normal bars?
Hi I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we wanted the same bars made up different colours, so the colours highlight where the turnover came from (therefore stacked). Can I have some bars fixed and some stacked on a chart please? On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, g <g@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against >targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we >want...

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

2 sets of data I need one line
I have two sets of data, height and distance and I want both to be on the same line and not two seperate lines. I would appreciate any help Thanks Hi, You need to create a xy scatter chart. Assuming you have already tried selecting both ranges of data and creating a chart try this instead. Select the y values and create a xy scatter chart. Then right click chart and use the Source data dialog to specify the x values. Cheers Andy Tim wrote: > I have two sets of data, height and distance and I want both to be on the > same line and not two seperate lines. I would appreciate any he...

Unevenly spaced x axis on chart
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I...

Removing gris effect in a chart
Hello all! I created a contour chart in Excel 2007. But there is a grid effect on the chart. Is it possible to remove it, and how? Thanks a lot! Hi, Select the legend and then select a legend entry. CTRL+1 to display the format dialog. The dialog should show Format Band in its title. Select Border colour and set it to No Line. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Olivier" <Olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8942BA16-4F43-4983-8057-0FECA1FC1711@microsoft.com... > Hello all! > > I created a contour ch...

created chart will not display
I tried to create a 3D pie chart within a spreadsheet. After highlighting the data that I wanted in the chart , the only thing that shows up is the chart title. The pie chart itself is no where to be found. Please advise Thanks,Belinda That probably means that Excel thinks your data are not numeric. If the values you are plotting are in, say, B2:B5, in some empty column, say C, starting with C2, enter =ISNUMBER(B2) and copy down to C3:C5. What do you get? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 d...

setup a text box as a lined page
I'd like to simulate text on lined paper. Is it possible in Word or Publisher? Thanks Find a lined paper background or graphic, put it on the Master page. On the the publication page create a text box. View, turn on baseline guides. Go to Arrange, Layout guides, baseline tab, adjust it to match your lined graphic. Select the text box, Format, paragraph, check align text to baseline guides. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=lined+paper&gbv=2 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tridev" <tr...

Charts for Social Work
Need help in creating 2 charts. Not sure if it�s possible in Excel. Hopefully I�ll give enough details. Chart #1 Y-axis: Range is 35 to 5, where the 35 is a minimum value at the botto of the chart. X-axis: There are actually three categories, but it is not a Bar Chart per se. Category Names(should appear at the top of the chart, not as an axi label): Baseline, Intervention, and Follow-up (The X-axis should hav gaps, so each category is separated; there actually should be no axi label) The Y-axis represents a score between 5 and 35. The score for th Baseline is 22 and is supposed to be re...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

Cannot change criteria on copied chart without changing original c
I have a chart that I created from a pivot table. Instead of creating 40 plus charts individually, I tried to copy the original chart and change the location for each chart. When I change the facility location for one chart it changes all others. How can I get around this? Steve You'll need to make independent pivot tables for each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services 774-275-0064 208-485-0691 fax jon@peltiertech.com http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF39D...

scroll bar missing in charts
I don't know how I managed to do it, but I have locked my charts into being viewed as "fit to window." I have no scroll bars. I checked to make sure the Tools/Options/View horizonal and vertical scrollbars were checked, and Tools/Options/Chart, and unchecked "chart sizes with window frame." Nothing happened, and when I reopened the Tools/Options/Chart, the box was re- checked! I can't uncheck "fit to window" in the view mode, and I can't click on zoom. Please HELP!!! You haven't by any chance just hit View / FullScreen have you, in whi...

Create an auto chart using macro
Hi all, I would like automatically generate a Gantt style graph though use of a Macro and a little button. I have the following data Task description Start date End date % completed % remaining. Does anyone have some code that I can just use? Haha, I think it's going to be a little more complex then you think it's going to be. Start here: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/excel-gantt-chart.html You should probably get acquainted with that. There's a video there too. May be a good learning experience, but I think you already know a bit about G...

Combo box for related records AND non-related records
Hello, Sorry if this question has been answered, but my searches have not yielded the posts. Here is what I want to do: I have a form with a combo box for City and one for State. I have two lookup tables: lkpCity cityID, City, stateID lkpState stateID, State I have the combo box for City set up, and the one for State to depend on the control for City. These are necessary because we've got a lot of spelling errors. Very often, however, the respondents whose data we are entering fail to provide a city, but list their state. If this happens, I can't get a l...

combining stacked with side-by-side bar
I need a graph which has a combination of horizontal bars (could do vertical as well, though doubt it matters for whether this can be done), where for each series, one of the bars is a stacked, two data point bar, and the one NEXT to it is a single data point. In other words, I have the following data: Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 EuropeA EuropeB US A US B There are more types, but this is the example. I need Type 1 to be 2 bars, one with a stack of Europe A and B, and next to it, a stack of US A and B. Then I need Type 2 as the next category to show two similar side-...

Sort Pivot Chart
In Excel 2000, is there a way to sort a pivot chart by the summed data? Thanks. Hi, Do you mean that you want to X axis to be sorted in some sort of order? In general if you want to display data on a pivot chart as sorted you sort the pivot table. So to be of any real help we need more detail. What do you want to sort? Are they row fields, column fields, data fields? How do you want them to sort? How are the fields layed out on the pivot table? -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Alex" wrote: > In Excel 2000, is there a way to sort a pivot chart by the summed data? &...

Showing Grand Totals in Pivot Charts
I have created a pivot table which contains a Grand Total column. This grand total column displays the sum of the counts for all the columns correctly. This number does not seem to be available to me when I generate a pivot chart. How can I make the grand total from the pivot table display in the pivot chart? Hi Nikki - Unfortunately pivot charts aren't as flexible as regular charts. But you can make a regular chart from pivot table data. Select a blank cell that isn't near the pivot table. In step 2, click on the Series tab, then one by one add the series and the data range ...

Charts/graphs on Access forms and reports
I have been given a project where I have to create a chart on a form and duplicate it on a report. There are three dates that are sequential that need to be charted for each item. So each "row" on the chart will show a triangle for the start date of each step in the process. However, each date has an estimated and actual date. I need to draw a line between the actual and estimated for each date, with a space before the next estimated and actual. e.g. (where # would be the triangle) Task F F M A M J J A S O N D TASK ONE #------...