Bar Chart Overlap

In an Excel 2000 bar chart with 2 series that are overlapping, how can I
control which series appears in front?  Currently, when reading the chart,
the series on the right is always on top and I would prefer the series on the
left to be on top.

Hi Jim,

I don't believe you can change the layering. But it is based on the
series order which you can change. This will not bring the left bar
infront of the right only swap the data displayed by the left and right.

It is possible to produce a work around if you don't mind losing the
border around the bars.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

You could follow the Columns on 2 Axes example on my web site:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html

Do it with two primary and two secondary series, but put the primary dummy series to
the left and the secondary dummy to the right. The left hand visible series is the
secondary one, and therefore shows in front of the right hand series. Adjust the
overlap setting of both sets of data (primary and secondary) to a reasonable amount.

I rarely use the overlap, because I don't want the viewer to think there's any
particular reason one bar is in front of the other.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Jim S. wrote:
> In an Excel 2000 bar chart with 2 series that are overlapping, how can I
> control which series appears in front?  Currently, when reading the chart,
> the series on the right is always on top and I would prefer the series on the
> left to be on top.

Scale in a chart
I have a chart that contains a lot of amall values and a lot of large values and NO values in the middel. I need to cut the scale to show only the small values and the high values. I want to cut the scale middle values Something like this? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F23C4A9-DEB4-4D3D-9625-CD50EBA4BE2E@microsoft.com... >I have a chart that contains a lot of amall values...

How do I set up a wedding seating chart?
Start by knowing who despises whom - then put them on opposite sides of the room. And why would you want to do a seating chart in Excel? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "gourmet" <gourmet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD4BF852-C993-4CF5-B487-31D337F2B651@microsoft.com... > Perhaps: A list of table and seat numbers down the first and second columns, with names in the third. OR: Paper and pencil? OR: A lot of trial and error? OR: Pull names out of hat? OR: Find the people who hate each other the most and put them next to one anot...

Changing/Manipulating Legend range for a Pivot Chart in XL2010 vs XL2003 and below.
In previous versions of Excel (<=2003), upon creating a pivot table and chart to obtain a contour map, for example, one could manipulate the number of colors/contours (major/minor units) via double clicking in the legend on the Pivot Chart. One was then presented with a dialog/ option window that was somewhat similiar to the functionality of manipulating standard chart axes, i.e. one could manipulate/change major and minor units to achieve the desired number of contours. In Excel 2010, I am unable to find the/a way to acheive the same end. I have the contour chart (based on the pivot table...

Copy Chart and PasteSpecial
Why does the Copy line take so long when running this code?. I'm trying to copy a chart and paste special to another workbook. When the code gets to 'Selection.copy', the computer hard drive makes a lot of noise and it takes up to 10 seconds just to complete the copy. Any ideas? I've tried copying the chart area, but then I don't have the option of 'PasteSpecial'. ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 2").Select ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Selection.Copy '<---------...

Changing display order of primary & secondary axes in Excel charts
I'm trying to create a chart that uses horizontal bars to indicate the ideal stacking of tenants in a building (with each row containing several different boxes, or tenants, depending upon the size of the floor) in Excel 2003. One entry in the data table for this chart is "available floor area" which indicates the total sq. ft. available on each floor; this entry is plotted on the secondary axis, and all the tenants' (sq.ft.) leases are shown on the primary axis. Ideally, objects on the primary axis (bars representing individual tenant leases)should show up as being...

Outlook 97 Shortcut Bar not opening by default
After installing Outlook 97 on an XP workstation, the Outlook bar will not open during program startup. You can open the Outlook Barfrom the view menu, but when you shut down Outlook and I reopen the progrm the bar does not open. How can you set that view as a default? ...

Extending a Chart Data Series from an Array
I am trying to create some VBA code that will extend a chart data series from an Array. Google searches on the subject tell me that there is a known bug that will not allow this. The code fails on the last ActiveChart.SeriesCollection line. Any ideas for a workaround? Can I read the array into a range somehow and then use Range with the Extend method? Can I do this without writing the range somewhere? Here is the basic code .... 'Read all the datapoints into an array TotalRows = Range("MyChartSeries").Count Dim MyArray As Variant ReDim MyArray(1 To TotalRo...

I can not set transparency into chart
I am using Ms Excel 2003. I cant set the trasparency between two overlapping areas into a chart. The slidebar is disabled into the formatting dialog of the chart Hi, Transparency is not supported in xl charts on a pc. I think the Mac guys have it better. There is a work around for column charts, unfortunately it doesn't work for area charts. http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip071.htm Cheers Andy Stefano wrote: > I am using Ms Excel 2003. I cant set the trasparency between two overlapping > areas > into a chart. The slidebar is disabled into the formatting dialog o...

multiple combination bars chart
possible to have the above mentioned?.. for example I have 4 shops.... each shop has a Total Sales figure and Total Cash Sales Figure... Y axis would be the number.... X axis would be the month... Jan, Feb Mar....Dec... so for each month there would be 4 vertical bars showing Total Sale figure for each of the 4 shops (represented by 4 different colours) Now the diff part is whether for the Cash Sales Figure... is i possible to integrate into each of the 4 bars represented by another different colours??.. Desired outcomes: 4 bars each month with different colours... -- blurboibo ------...

worksheet resizing no title bar visible
Makes me angry because it's such a stupid problem, but i can't solve it.. Opening Excel 2000 the worksheet's title bar is hidden under the excel toolbars, such that the minimize/close buttons are not visible. Since I cannot reach the title bar, I cannot drag it lower. How do I resize the worksheet without being able to reach the title bar? How do I move the worksheet such that the title bar is visible? Closing the toolbars doesnt solve it, excel is smarter than that and just moves the worksheet under excel's title bar. I know about the cltr-f9 which minimizes, but then I can...

Text box "print object" becomes unchecked within a Chart
First of all, I'm not sure if I should post this question in "Charts" or "General" or another topic, but I have a workbook that has been around for a few years. It used to print fine; now text boxes w/in charts are no longer printing. The solution is going into eachText Box properties and checking "Print Object". (Unfortuantely, there are many textboxes . . . I have a question posted under programming on how to create a macro to fix this problem.) Thank you for any thoughts . . . ...

Chart with different Y axis values
This may be kind of confusing because I'm not sure if I can explain this properly. I'm trying to work out a column chart that compares 2-3 key factors of one product between 2002 and 2003. The range values for these two factors are significantly different. The first 2 columns compare avg selling price for the product. The range for the selling price is usually less than $10. The next 2 columns compare volume sold, and the range is about 1000 units. I try to do a sketch below. Hope it turns out right. 1000 __ 5.3 | |800 __ | |__ ...

Print Specific Charts
I have a little problem with some code I've been using. In my workbook I have 7 sheets with 45+ pre-made charts. Some have data but most don't. The current code I have counts how many charts there are on the sheet, selects, activates, and prints them all the way I like. Thing is I'd like it to print only the charts with data in them. I thought that a code could be made that checks the source range of the chart for numbers then prints that chart. However because there are 45+ charts and 7 sheets that would take awhile. Below is an example of the code i'm currently using...

One column and 2 lines chart in single axis
Hi, Im using Excel 2003 and lets say I have sales data on 30 stores in which specific promotions were run (Test Stores). Since its a consolidate monthly data so I have 30 data points only. I also have average sales of 30 other stores very similar to test stores in which no promotions were run (Control Stores) which means 1 data point. I want to compare the sales data of each of the test stores with the average test store sales and also the average control store sales in a single graph. My idea was to draw a column graph with each bar representing sales for each of the test stores. Then I ca...

Charting with excel, using Unions (non continous ranges)
Hello, I was wondering how, in MFC I can chart or graph a worksheet, where the source range (ranges to graph) are non-continous (such as A1:B4 & F1:F8)? I took a look through MSDN, and figured out how to get the ranges correctly (I think), but when I use the ChartWizard function in the CChart class, and specify the union range, it only charts one series, not the multiple series that should be there with the ranges I specified. Sincerely, James Simpson The Application object has a Union method that combines two or more contiguous ranges into a single, non-contiguous range union....

overlap text boxes
I am using Publisher 2002, but an officemate only has 2000, so that is the format in which I am saving. I would like to be able to "overlap" two text boxes, so that the positioning of one slightly overlapping the other does not make the text in either move. I keep looking at the options under "Format Text Box," and none of them seems to do this. Do you have any suggestions? Select the text boxes, set the wrap to none... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sorrywm" <sorrywm@discussions.m...

truncate chart
How do I create a chart covering 7 years showing only the first 12 months and the last 24 months without a flat line for the months in the middle? You need at least one blank cell between the first 12 months and the last 24 months. A formula that returns "" does not count, as Excel considers "" to be text. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Mike of Book Worm Angels" <MikeofBookWormAngels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFF773...

excel "no data" labeling in bar graph
Hello, I am graphing a series of data in a bar format in excel. Some of the entries have no data. Instead of interpolating, graphing zero, or just leaving gaps, I'd like excel to put a "no data" or similar message in the spot where a bar would otherwise be. (I can't have it shown as zero, as there are legitimate zero entries as well.) How do I do this? I am using excel 2003. I think you will need a column of data labels that could be placed on your chart with one of these add-ins Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart T...

Creating multiple charts in an excel sheet #2
Hi, Is it possible to create multiple charts (around 9 charts ) in a single excel sheet? Creating the charts have to be programmatic by running a VB code. Please somebody provide some help. Thanks and Regards, Sobha In article <1181551479.569738.95830@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, i.sobha@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible to create multiple charts (around 9 charts ) in a >single excel sheet? Creating the charts have to be programmatic by >running a VB code. Please somebody provide some help. While I know nothing of VB code, it is certainly possible without it t...

Define the size of an Excel Chart (Office 2007)??
Hi All, I'm connecting an Excel File to SQL DB, pulling some data into a Pivot Table, create a Pivot Chart and publish it to an Excel Service in Sharepoint.... everything works fine, but I have a problem defining the size of the chart.... how can I define the size of the chart??? if I "right click" in the Chart area, under "Format Chart Area" I cannot find any property about the size or dimension... how can I do it??? thanks and sorry for the "silly" question... thanks Vit ...

Edit colour of one gridline in a 3D chart
How can one gridline be edited to change colour in ad 3d bar chart. Thanks in advance for your help. Hi, You can not colour individual grid lines in either 2d or 3d charts. With 2d charts you have the ability to add a dummy series to represent a grid line. For examples of this technique see, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy ju1eshart wrote: > How can one gridline be edited to change colour in ad 3d bar chart. Thanks in > advance for your hel...

Charting with empty columns in between
Let's say the data is Particulars Frequency q 5 w - e 6 r 7 While drawing a chart, it should not show wth column when it is 0, otherwise it should take it into consideration. How ? Replace the empty cell by =NA() which displays as #N/A and is ignored by the chart engine OR Click on the chart and open (in Excel 2003) Tools | Option | Chart and specify how empty cells are to be treated. Similar option in Excel 2007 best wishes -- Bernard Liengme http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme Microso...

Tool for large, layered flow chart
Hello: I am strategizing the best tool for developing a detailed flow chart which would have varied scenarious. For example, process "A" would start from the top and flow through 4 seperate lines of activities, and process "B" would only flow through 2 separate lines of activities, while process "C" would flow through 8 seperate lines of activities. Obviously, my process flow is going to be huge. Any suggestions if excel is the tool to use? Is there a special technique I could use with excel to acheive my objective? Does anyone have an example to h...

Task Bar
I've been trying to find out how to make the program's task-bar window flash. The problem is I don't know what this is called so I haven't been able to find anything by searching yet. I have Visual Studio.Net 2003 so I'm sure there's something in the docs about how to do this, but what are the program's task bar windows called? Does anybody know what keywords would help me find something about this? Thanks for any help. Dave <dju@nospam.comm> wrote in message news:uq8sq0l6h5m713k39apmgjoe2b9pgenl4p@4ax.com... > I've been trying to find out how to ma...

DASHBOARDING chart type
Is there a way to simulate DASHBOARDING with Excel chart types? -- JCA Jon Peltier has instructions for a speedometer chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SpeedometerXP.html jcaranibar wrote: > Is there a way to simulate DASHBOARDING with Excel chart types? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...