Bar and Line plots on the same chart

Is there a way to have some data plotted as bars and other data as lines on
the same chart?

Appreciate any suggestiuions.

Dave
WinXP SP3 Office (Excel)2003

0
Dave

Hi,

Yes, you need to plot the line as an xy-scatter in order to get the line
to go vertically. with Y values being used to align the points with the
bars.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

0
Andy
5/12/2010 3:44:28 PM
Thank you Andy - it works  :-)
Dave

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Yes, you need to plot the line as an xy-scatter in order to get the line
> to go vertically. with Y values being used to align the points with the
> bars.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> On 12/05/2010 16:05, Dave wrote:
>> Is there a way to have some data plotted as bars and other data as lines
>> on
>> the same chart?
>>
>> Appreciate any suggestiuions.
>>
>> Dave
>> WinXP SP3 Office (Excel)2003
>>

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
Dave

X axis labels won't line up under corresponding column data
Only way I can get dates (year 1998, 1999 and on etc) to fall under annual income columns is to horse around with spacing, adding and subtracting spaces in the category axis drop-down box in Chart Options. Seems you can't even use the same number of spaces between each because if you add between two of them, adding the same number of spaces doesn'tnecessarily work between the next two. I have about 8 charts to mess with and can't find an easy way to do this. did you try this righclcik x axis, clcik <format axis> choose <scale> UNCHECK <value(y) axis crosed be...

Chemistry data analysis and bar chart- LEGEND help
May i have your patience in exactly understanding what i wish to do with my excel barchart. I have barcharts (standard type) which is stacked column and hence compares the contribution of each value to a total across categories. I have several treatment samples,and thereby, i make four bar charts aligned together with an overlap 100 and gap width 0. This type of 4 more in the same graph. Hence in a total 16 bars in one graph (4x4 =16). However, further to complicate i need to change the pattern to show them as different different treatment samples. Hence i used "Format datapoint" to...

Excel Charts
Hi, I've created a userform using excel vba (macros) and am trying to display some charts on the form dynamically.. There are 2 options available. 1. To create a basic chart template in excel and dynamically changing the data and display it. But the problem i am facing is how to show the chart in the userform. I have tried image control , but its not working.. 2. To use excel automation classes to dynamically create charts and attach its data and display it in the userform.. i know these can be somehow done using VB, but i don't have vb, just Excel!! Can anyone please help...

line appearing when i save .pub as .jpeg
I created a graphic in publisher and also saved it as a jpeg so it could be inserted into a powerpoint. However, when it becomes a jpeg, what almost looks like a page border always shows up at the top. I've tried starting from scratch - a blank document - and still get one line. Any suggestions?? What resolution are you using? Do you get the same phenomenon if you save the objects at a lower resolution? Have you tried saving as a .png? Can you use the crop tool and crop the line out, either in Publisher or PowerPoint? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://m...

Add/Draw blank lines to access report
I have a report that sometimes has 1 record in the detail section and sometimes it may have 10+ records. When there is not enough records to fill the space on the page, i would like to show blank lines in that area so after the report is printed people can add to the section. So for example i have this, [Detail] Record 1 Record 2 [footer] and i would prefer, [Detail] Record 1 Record 2 ________ ________ ________ ________ [footer] The blank lines need to grow or shrink depending on how many detail records there are. I have seen many posts where vertical lines are required or boxes and gri...

Line Graph with 2 lines
I am trying to make a line graph with 2 lines, each with its own separate x-axis and y-axis values. I've tried but cannot seem to do this. Any help would be great. 50 50 55 45 25 25 32 23 12.5 12.5 17 15 6.25 6.25 9 8 3.125 3.125 6 3 1.5625 1.5625 3 3 0.78125 0.78125 1 2 These are the two lines I'm trying to graph, with the x-axis being on the left and the y-axis on the right. "Need help making line graph with 2 lines" <Need help making line graph with 2 lines@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B41ABFE8-4BA4-49E2-BEEE-94DC38FFF851@microsoft....

Cell display is 38727.4101273148 Formula Bar is 1/10/2006 9:50
Excel 2003 I populate a cell with Now() (via the VBA line next) With Sheets("Error Cells").Cells(Rows.count, 1).End(xlUp) _ (2, 1).Value = Now() In the cell itself the display is: 38727.4101273148 even though the custom format assigned is: m/d/yyyy h:mm Interestingly, the presentation in the Formula Bar is: 1/10/2006 9:50:35 AM which is exactly want I want in the cell presentation; what am I doing wrong? I have attempted to change the cell format to no avail. Thanks Dennis On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:28:02 -0800, Dennis <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Excel Calculate on status bar
I have a file that has lots of sheets, lots of lookups and lots of formulas. I have the Calc set to auto and the calculate still shows up on the status bar at the bottom. If I hit "F9" to calc now the calculate goes from 10 to 20 to 30 than stops and the calculate still stays on. Sometimes my graphs do not update so I know that everything is not calculating. Any Ideas??? Check out this webpage Jim http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsf.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft....

Including data in data table but not charting as a series or point
I need to chart monthly totals including YTD. When I include YTD in the data table, then the wizard also charts YTD totals as a series or point. How can I see the YTD totals in the data table but NOT include it in the charting of my other monthly totals from the data table? Hi: One option is to can make the data series for YTD invisible by choosing the same colours for the data as for the background. HTH, Henk "pepper76" wrote: > I need to chart monthly totals including YTD. When I include YTD in the data > table, then the wizard also charts YTD totals as a series or...

PowerPoint 2007 Org Chart Text Box Autofitting Option
I am working in PowerPoint 2007 (Windows 7). I've created an Org Chart, but I want the text to STOP autofitting in my Org Chart text boxes. I right-click on the text box, I click on Format Shape. In the dialog box that opens, I click on the Text Box option on the left. On the right, the option to Stop Autofitting is dimmed, as are several others. In PowerPoint 2003, there was a Fit Text toggle on the Org Chart toolbar that did this for me. Thanks. Annoying isn't it? The only way I've figured out to do it is to select the box or the whole chart and set a font...

Help with a formula (Multiple lines to sum and return if)
Hello, Thank you in advance for the help. One sheet one I would like to return the sum of data from sheet two if the salesperson name matches. Here are the details: Sheet 1 In column A I have the names of sales people (listed by row) - header is "Name" In column B I have cells available to total the sales people numbers by month Sheet 2 In column A, the sales people are listed many times In column B, lists the Account name (not important for this help) In column C, is the total sold to that customer Now in the B column, I would like to match the name of the ...

Changing text in title bar
I want to change the display in my opportunity title bars. Basically, I want to be able to do something similar to contacts. In contacts form, both the first name and surname are displayed in the title bar as a full name. In the opportunity form, I want to change the display so both the opportunity title and the job number it has been assigned are shown. I realise this may be difficult to change in an existing form, but I'm hoping someone can help. Failing that, I have another custom form that I want the same functionality for (i.e. the primary field of the entity plus the value of the...

Long time user,can't create a chart-help!
Using office since 1995 and creating superb charts. Just installed office 07 in a new computer and I am stuck. In the past for all additions I would enter ,for example =A1:A500,B1:B500, Choose my chart style and a chart would be generated after filling in the various dialogue boxes. I do the same now and I just get error messages. Can I set-up Excel to behave in the manner that I am accustomed to. Thanks for your help My 2007 machine is in the other room, so I can't test right now. Try referencing the address with the parent worksheet's name: =Sheet1!A1:A500,Sheet1!B1:B500 ...

How do I scale excel chart axes from vb?
Is there a way to change the axis scale of an existing chart in an excel spreadsheet from vb code? Thanks, Scott If you can change it while you look at it you can change it with a macro. What Kind of chart is it? is it the X, Y or Z axis you wish to change? I would first try to record a macro of me trying to change it the way You want it changed and then go from there. "scmancl21" wrote: > Is there a way to change the axis scale of an existing chart in an excel > spreadsheet from vb code? > > Thanks, > Scott Yes, you can. Please see Jon's explanation...

Line Chart #5
I am having problems charting - the value of one axis is dates the other is for price per unit. I have had success with one value per date, but I don't seem to be able to plot two values per date. Could someone please help me with plotting two values each day ? -- Steven. In God we trust, all others we virus scan. if your dates IN TEXT FORMAT are in col A, you can put values in col BCD etc and you will get a line plotted for each column -- bob77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?acti...

Pivot Charts
Hi all, I'd like my pivot chart to do 2 things: 1) If I select an item from one of my page field dropdowns, I'd like the dropdown items on another page field to filter according to what was selected. Example: if the first page field is "Teams" and I choose a team from the list, I want the other page field "Players" to offer only the players from that team. Possible? 2) I used the macro recorder to automatically replace one data item in the pivot chart with another. Example (football): I assigned a macro to a button called "Pass Attempts", which will...

fixed Line
Hi all. How do I get a fixed line in a graphic in excel 2000, I have a trend and i need to mark the goal, with a line that remais unvariable fixed at 90%. Thanks for your support Hi Arturo, Not a lot of information to work with there, but try this. Add a series to your chart that references two cells, the first cell has your x value = 90 and the second has your y value = (a calculation that returns the same value as your trendline when x=90). Then you can format the series error bars to show a line from the series point back to the axis line. HTH Martin ...

How do I place multiple charts in the same sheet?
I'm trying to place several charts in the same sheet, but I can't make it work. I don't want to print one page for each chart, instead i want to reduce the number of pages by placing 4 or more charts in the same sheet. How can I do it? press F11 to get a blank chart sheet for each chart select location and have if formed on the blank chart sheet. format as you want it to look "ledmari" wrote: > I'm trying to place several charts in the same sheet, but I can't make it > work. I don't want to print one page for each chart, instead i want to >...

chart with tolerences
Need a sheet to have input for limits and then be able to show the values on a chart. would like to show the value inside a bar that represents the limits. Arrange your data in this order: Category Labels (first column) Minimum Limit Values Maximum Limit (last column) Make a line chart with this data. Format any of the line series to add up-down bars, which means draw a bar from the first line series (minimum limit) to the last (maximum limit). Format the minimum and maximum limit series with no lines and no markers to hide them. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials...

Strange progress bar behavior !
Hello, I have an extremely simple code working with a progress bar. The progress bar style is set to "marquee" in the visual studio winforms designer. Fine. Now I have a line that changes the progress bar style to continuous : progressBar1.Style = ProgressBarStyle.Continuous; Awesomely simple. But then, the progress bar disappears for some reason. I've tried refreshing the control and the whole form too, the progress bar stays hidden. I'm using Windows 7. What could cause this strange behavior ? Thanks in advance, Heandel Heandel wrote: ...

How to change chart properties.
Suppose you insert 2 charts "non programmatically" in an Excel worksheet (click Insert>Column>Stacked Colum for example). How would you change the chart properties programmatically? I've used the shapes collection, but that only worked for me with one chart. The problem is that I don't know how to differentiate between multiple charts. Is there some way to name the chart or shape somehow? For all this type of action try recording a macro which selects your chart, then changes the relevant properties. "cr113" wrote: > > Suppose you inse...

basic pie chart question
It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help! Kay, Assuming you data starts in cell A1 and looks something like this: Level 1 17% Level 2 26% Level 3 14% Level 4 30% Level 5 13% Put your curser in cell A1. Go to the standard toolbar and click once on the Chart Wizard. On Step 1 of the Chart Wizard - under the Standard Types Tab choose the "Pie&qu...

Extra Slice in Pie in Pie chart
I have created a Pie in Pie chart, but excel has added an extra slice in the first chart. And then Excel has taken the data I need for the extra pie, and used that data and the separate date and put them in the other pie chart. How do I get my main date back into the first pie chart and only have the data that shows how the main data is broken down. If you're not too confused, please help. Thanks Hi, Have a read of this article on pie of pies to understand how it works and how you need to setup your data. http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=471 Cheers ...

Gantt Chart Import Invalid Column Error
Trying to import an Excel table into the Gantt Chart in Visio. The Finish date works fine, but every time I try to map the Start date, I get an "Invalid Column Format" error. Tried changing the format of the Start date field, and it doesn't change anything. Excel 2007 Visio 2007 SP2 and 2010 Beta, both with the same issue. Any suggestions? some people have luck with exporting a file from Visio first, then using that as a dummy file to enter data into and import back. I also found that visio chokes on blank date fields. ...

Line Spacing
I've noticed that in every single paragraph in my 6-page document, the line spacing seems to change on every last line of every paragraph. If the line is continued with another sentence, that line shifts upwards and the next line is then spaced improperly. How do I control this behavior, or is it a bug I just have to live with? -- BJSmithCO Englewood, Colorado >-----Original Message----- >I've noticed that in every single paragraph in my 6-page document, the line >spacing seems to change on every last line of every paragraph. If the line >is continued with anoth...