Background picture behind chart

In Excel I have successfully inserted a picture behind an interactive chart
so the chart (graph) is visible overtop of the picture.  But when I Save as
Web Page the picture doesn't show up.  The graph is fine, and is interactive,
but the background picture file (gif) has disappeared.  How can I preserve
the picture so it will save as part of the Web Page?  Thanks.

Ralph

0
RalphB (3)

Hi,

Not tested but could you use the picture as the Fill Special for the
chart or plot area?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Not tested but could you use the picture as the Fill Special for the chart
> or plot area?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> RalphB wrote:
>> In Excel I have successfully inserted a picture behind an interactive
>> chart so the chart (graph) is visible overtop of the picture.  But when I
>> Save as Web Page the picture doesn't show up.  The graph is fine, and is
>> interactive, but the background picture file (gif) has disappeared.  How
>> can I preserve the picture so it will save as part of the Web Page?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
11/16/2005 10:36:56 PM
Yes, that is what I did, and the picture shows up just fine in the background
with the chart in the foreground as long as I'm in Excel.  The problem occurs
when I Save as Web Page.  The resulting html file does not show the picture,
just the chart.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not tested but could you use the picture as the Fill Special for the
> chart or plot area?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> RalphB wrote:
> > In Excel I have successfully inserted a picture behind an interactive chart
> > so the chart (graph) is visible overtop of the picture.  But when I Save as
> > Web Page the picture doesn't show up.  The graph is fine, and is interactive,
> > but the background picture file (gif) has disappeared.  How can I preserve
> > the picture so it will save as part of the Web Page?  Thanks.
> >
> > Ralph
> >

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
RalphB (3)
11/16/2005 11:52:02 PM
My suggestion, which Bernard confirmed (thanks!), is to use the picture
as the fill for the chart area.
Your description was that the image was a separate object from the chart
and it didn't survive the journey to html.

Did you use the fill approach?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
11/16/2005 11:58:47 PM
Some instructions might help.

Double click on the chart area of the chart (the big enclosing
rectangle. On the Patterns tab, click on the Fill Effects button. Select
the Picture tab, click the Select Picture button, and browse to the
picture to use as the chart background.

Then double click on the plot area, and choose no line and no fill, so
it doesn't obscure the background picture.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Andy Pope wrote:

> My suggestion, which Bernard confirmed (thanks!), is to use the picture
> as the fill for the chart area.
> Your description was that the image was a separate object from the chart
> and it didn't survive the journey to html.
>
> Did you use the fill approach?
>
> RalphB wrote:
>
>> Yes, that is what I did, and the picture shows up just fine in the
>> background with the chart in the foreground as long as I'm in Excel.
>> The problem occurs when I Save as Web Page.  The resulting html file
>> does not show the picture, just the chart.
>>
>> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not tested but could you use the picture as the Fill Special for the
>>> chart or plot area?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy

>>> --
>>>
>>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>> http://www.andypope.info

Thanks Jon.  I've done exactly what you suggested and yes it works and looks
great.  But the problem occurs when I Save to Web Page.  When I open the
saved html file in MSIE the background picture is not visible...only the
chart is.  You see, I would like to add this interactive chart with
background picture to my web site but no luck so far.

Ralph

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Some instructions might help.
>
> Double click on the chart area of the chart (the big enclosing
> rectangle. On the Patterns tab, click on the Fill Effects button. Select
> the Picture tab, click the Select Picture button, and browse to the
> picture to use as the chart background.
>
> Then double click on the plot area, and choose no line and no fill, so
> it doesn't obscure the background picture.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Andy Pope wrote:
>
> > My suggestion, which Bernard confirmed (thanks!), is to use the picture
> > as the fill for the chart area.
> > Your description was that the image was a separate object from the chart
> > and it didn't survive the journey to html.
> >
> > Did you use the fill approach?
> >
> > RalphB wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, that is what I did, and the picture shows up just fine in the
> >> background with the chart in the foreground as long as I'm in Excel.
> >> The problem occurs when I Save as Web Page.  The resulting html file
> >> does not show the picture, just the chart.

0
RalphB (3)
11/17/2005 4:41:02 AM
Well, I don't know about the Save As Web Page. I never use it, because I
found the old version unpredictable and kludgy. This VBA command exports
a chart to an image file, complete with background image:

   ActiveChart.Export "C:\test\PicBkd.png", "png"

- Jon
-------

RalphB wrote:

> Thanks Jon.  I've done exactly what you suggested and yes it works and looks
> great.  But the problem occurs when I Save to Web Page.  When I open the
> saved html file in MSIE the background picture is not visible...only the
> chart is.  You see, I would like to add this interactive chart with
> background picture to my web site but no luck so far.
>
> Ralph
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Some instructions might help.
>>
>>Double click on the chart area of the chart (the big enclosing
>>rectangle. On the Patterns tab, click on the Fill Effects button. Select
>>the Picture tab, click the Select Picture button, and browse to the
>>picture to use as the chart background.
>>
>>Then double click on the plot area, and choose no line and no fill, so
>>it doesn't obscure the background picture.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Andy Pope wrote:
>>

>>>My suggestion, which Bernard confirmed (thanks!), is to use the picture
>>>as the fill for the chart area.
>>>Your description was that the image was a separate object from the chart
>>>and it didn't survive the journey to html.
>>>
>>>Did you use the fill approach?

Need large gap in chart
I am making a line graph with 2 sets of numbers that are very far apart - one set of numbers is around 7000 to 8000, and the other set is closer to 80,000. Of course, I get one line at the top of the chart that is pretty easy to read, but the line on the bottom that represents the smaller numbers is just TINY and looks pretty much straight. My question is this: is there a way to put a "break" into the graph between the smaller numbered data and the larger ones so they are all easier to read? Like a jagged line showing where the jump occurs or something? Hi, Jon has an exampl...

How to change background color of a window that has been created.
I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can you help? Hello Jerry, > I need to change the background of a window that has been created, can > you help? > Answer depends upon the type of window. Typically you can do this in OnEraseBkgnd. Certain controls respond to WM_CTLCOLOR and yet some other, like CButton, need to be owner drawn to change the color. If you have a generic CWnd, you can always specify the brush in the window class; so no special painting is needed. This is good when you know that the background will have one color all the time. -...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

linking pictures
I have seen the many discussions on linking pictures and am running into trouble. I am using Access 2003. I have tried using the sample "Pictures2k" but can't figure out where I am going wrong. The form is based off a query, which brings together a bunch of information. 1. Placed photos in the same folder as the database. 2. Created a text field in our records table, named per 2k instructions 3. Added the name of one of the photographs to the field (example: name.jpg) 4. Added the field to the query from which the form is based 5. Created a picture frame, renamed it ...

Display order of Bar Chart
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the data not in the order of the categories as I developed it. That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of the y-values best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.s...

option button and picture
I'm wanting to send a picture to the Guest Log results. Once the user types their info into the guest book an option to select a candle is available. But I can't figure out how to send the picture once the user submits their info. Here's a link to the page. Thanks in advance!!!! http://www.restingtributes.com/Guest%20BooK.htm The FP Guestbook does not support file upload or attached files -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ] "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-; ...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Gantt Chart Missing One Task Line When Printed
Hello! I am completely stumped here with Project 2007. When printing the gantt chart line 30 of my plan is blank. The line number is there, but the task info and bar is blank. It shows up in print preview. All other lines show up fine and the rest of the project prints fine as per my print settings - just missing one line! Printer drivers are updated, software has current update - anyone ever heard of this? I really appreciate your help! Hi Jean, Do you see a different answer if you turn off 3D bars? Tools > Options, View tab. There were some early problems with 3D ...

Charts and "global" changes
Hello all, I'm actually working in Microsoft Access97, which uses MSGraph 2000 for charting, so I thought this was really a "charting" question... not an Access question. I have an XY scatter chart (using just points... no X or Y error bars or lines) all laid out just fine, but I have a couple of questions that would make my work a lot easier. When the data first displayed on the chart, every data point had a different "style"... circles, triangles, x's, etc... I had to go into every one individually and change them to a black dot at size 3. Isn...

Pie chart
Is there an pie chart type where you can explode just one of the sets of data on the chart? I have access to both Excel/Powerpoint 97 and 2003, but there doesn't appear to be any differences in what's available for pie charts. Is there an add-in or something for variations on these pie or other charts. Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions. Diana Create a regular pie chart in Excel Click on the pie to select it (each slice will have a black handle on its outer edge) Click on the slice that you want to explode (only that slice will now have handles) Drag out the select...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

formatting background on CD label
How do I get the background to be one continuous picture and not duplicates of the same picture? I tried to look in help but couldn't find anything. It looks really ugly. Faith wrote: > How do I get the background to be one continuous picture and not duplicates > of the same picture? I tried to look in help but couldn't find anything. It > looks really ugly. Instead of using the "background" option (which is more designed for web pages), insert the picture (either on the Master Page, or on the publication page and send it to the back), and resize it to fill t...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

microsoft picture it box pops up when I hit send mail
When I try to send mail, Microsoft picture it box pops up and my computer searches the A drive. I have to cancel this 3 times before I can get rid of the box. Then a box comes up informing me that spell check cannot be completed. Finally I can send the e-mail. What is going on? Any help would be much apprciated ...

How do I create a 4-d chart?
I am trying to create a chart with 4 dimensions. In effect, I need a 3-D column chart where the vertical bars are "stacked" colmns. How can I do this? Evanr Have you heard about Tufte's "small multiples" or Cleveland's "trellis" displays? These approaches create a series of small plots instead of trying to put everything into a single overly complex chart. I would stay away form 3D charts in Excel. Trellis is a trademarked by Insightful software. I use the term "panel charts" to reflect trellis and small multiple charts in Excel. I have...

Equation in a chart
Dear all There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a box or a text box or another way and to make it with a simple = to bring me a value of a cell? either a number or a percentage? I currently using Excel XP edition Thanks in advance Manos Hi try the following: - insert this textbox - select the textbox and hit F (to get into the formula bar) - now enter your formula. e.g. ='sheet1'!A1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Manos wrote: > Dear all > > There is any possibility to add in the area of a chart a > box or a text box or another way and...

Drop down list for graphs/charts
My boss wants a drop down box in Excel that will give us about ten different graphs. I did all ten of these graphs individually on separate tabs but my boss wants one tab with a drop down box that when we choose one of the groups, it will give us that graph. Can this be done? Based on the drop-down, in a separate range select the data which you want to plot. And plot this in one graph only. For e.g. you have data A1:A10 for the first graph, B1:B10 for the second. Lets say in M1:M10 use a formula which will get the data from A1:A10 or B1:B10 based on the drop-down selection. Plot M1:M10 o...

How do you reference a picture to a cell?
I am trying to create an order sheet. When you type in the name of the product in one cell, a picture of the product is displayed in another. How can I do that in excel? http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "clifox" <clifox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BDB8324-8D07-4D78-9371-EEAC23A9F7CD@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create an order sheet. When you type in the name of the > product in one cell, a picture of the product is displayed in another. How > can I do that in excel? ...

Missing menu bar when chart is selected
I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise toolbars but this doesn't help. When you activate a chart the Worksheet Menu Bar (WMB) normally disappears and the Chart Menu Bar (CMB) takes its place. The CMB looks exactly the same except that it has a Chart menu...

can't center a category label on a line chart
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000603030901060204040401 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Yesterday I got some good help with figuring out the differences between the line chart and xy chart. I've had to go with the line chart. I've pretty much got it the way I want it. I've posted my data below. The < means prior to 2007. In Excel 2003 I could easily center the Year between the Major vertical gridlines (every forth one, since this is quarterly data). But with my pres...

Updating Charts with Macro
I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by putting the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to update them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the next blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thank you in advance -- Chris - You haven't really given enough information to describe your requirement. You could use dynamic ranges, with offset, index, or indirect worksheet functions, and bypass the macros, too. See the few examples and many links here: http://www.geocitie...

Inserting picture causes paragraph formatting to be ignored.
when I insert a picture into a publisher page -- say between two text boxes or a text box with 2 columns. To th right of the picture, the paragraph formatting is missing -- such as the first line indention. The column on the left is fine even though it is narrower of course. the first line indention remains. but the one to the right of the column loses its first line indent. If I go into the text itself and try to put in the paragrah changes to say first line indent, the page does not recognize it and still gives me a flush left margin in the text to the right of the inserted pictur...

Stacked chart
I have created a chart that has multiple data. Goal - 2000000 Present - 4,500,000 January - 450,000 I have the column stacked on top of each other. BUT THE PROBLEM IS that if someone is reading the graph they think that presently we are at 6,500,000. Because the goal is below it @ 2,000,000 and it adds the presently on top of it. I need them to over lap each other. So the numbers on the left are correct. I have used a stacked column graph. Hi, Don't stack the columns then. Use Cluster column chart type instead. Set the overlap value to 100. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Micr...

Hide a chart
My Boss is working with Excel 97 and I'm in 2007...he hid a chart in his version and I cannot unhide it...have looked everywhere and tried all sorts of commands with no result...anyone else having this problem? Hi, Assuming he hid the sheet - choose Home, Format, Hide & Unhide, Unhide Sheet. If the chart has been hidden using the 2003 Objects, Hide command - choose Office Button, Excel Options, Advanced, Display options for this workbook, For objects, show: All. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "E Gray R&A" wrote: > My Boss is working with Excel 97 and I'm in...