Automatic bar width in stacked column chart too thin

Hi - I tried to post this question on 10 Jan but can't seem to find it so
suspect my posting was unsuccessful - apologies if I've missed it.

I've created a stacked column chart, but the bars are automatically coming
out as 1pt wide so I can't even see the colours - previously column widths in
a standard bar chart have been fine.  The best I can do is to alter the gap
width in 'format data series-> options' but this only makes it marginally
wider.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the data - this is as follows:
Column A = weeks of the year (31/12/07, 7/1/08, etc to 29/12/08)
Columns B-D = input data in time format ie 29 mins 15 secs as 00:29:15.  The
three columns each record data for the time spent on a particular activity in
the week, ie running, swimming, cycling.
Column E = numeric value vetween 120-200 (ie average heart rate)

I've created the chart as follows:
Column A = dates form x axis
Columns B-D = data charted in stacked columns on primary axis
Column E = charted on secondary axis

Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong gratefully received!

Thanks
0
rafcoles (3)

Hi,

x axis is being treated as true dates rather than categories.
Right click chart and choose Chart Options. On axes tab set X axis to
Category rather than Time series

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"rafcoles" <rafcoles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I tried to post this question on 10 Jan but can't seem to find it so
> suspect my posting was unsuccessful - apologies if I've missed it.
>
> I've created a stacked column chart, but the bars are automatically coming
> out as 1pt wide so I can't even see the colours - previously column widths
> in
> a standard bar chart have been fine.  The best I can do is to alter the
> gap
> width in 'format data series-> options' but this only makes it marginally
> wider.
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with the data - this is as follows:
> Column A = weeks of the year (31/12/07, 7/1/08, etc to 29/12/08)
> Columns B-D = input data in time format ie 29 mins 15 secs as 00:29:15.
> The
> three columns each record data for the time spent on a particular activity
> in
> the week, ie running, swimming, cycling.
> Column E = numeric value vetween 120-200 (ie average heart rate)
>
> I've created the chart as follows:
> Column A = dates form x axis
> Columns B-D = data charted in stacked columns on primary axis
> Column E = charted on secondary axis
>
> Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong gratefully received!
>
> Thanks

0
andy9699 (3616)
1/14/2008 12:01:31 PM
Bingo - simple solution, many thanks!

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> x axis is being treated as true dates rather than categories.
> Right click chart and choose Chart Options. On axes tab set X axis to
> Category rather than Time series
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "rafcoles" <rafcoles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I tried to post this question on 10 Jan but can't seem to find it so
> > suspect my posting was unsuccessful - apologies if I've missed it.
> >
> > I've created a stacked column chart, but the bars are automatically coming
> > out as 1pt wide so I can't even see the colours - previously column widths
> > in
> > a standard bar chart have been fine.  The best I can do is to alter the
> > gap
> > width in 'format data series-> options' but this only makes it marginally
> > wider.
> >
> > I'm guessing it has something to do with the data - this is as follows:
> > Column A = weeks of the year (31/12/07, 7/1/08, etc to 29/12/08)
> > Columns B-D = input data in time format ie 29 mins 15 secs as 00:29:15.
> > The
> > three columns each record data for the time spent on a particular activity
> > in
> > the week, ie running, swimming, cycling.
> > Column E = numeric value vetween 120-200 (ie average heart rate)
> >
> > I've created the chart as follows:
> > Column A = dates form x axis
> > Columns B-D = data charted in stacked columns on primary axis
> > Column E = charted on secondary axis
> >
> > Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong gratefully received!
> >
> > Thanks

0
rafcoles (3)
1/14/2008 12:11:02 PM
On Jan 14, 4:44=A0am, rafcoles <rafco...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hi - I tried to post this question on 10 Jan but can't seem to find it so
> suspect my posting was unsuccessful - apologies if I've missed it.
>
> I've created a stacked column chart, but the bars are automatically coming=

> out as 1pt wide so I can't even see the colours - previously column widths=
 in
> a standard bar chart have been fine. =A0The best I can do is to alter the =
gap
> width in 'format data series-> options' but this only makes it marginally
> wider.
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with the data - this is as follows:
> Column A =3D weeks of the year (31/12/07, 7/1/08, etc to 29/12/08)
> Columns B-D =3D input data in time format ie 29 mins 15 secs as 00:29:15. =
=A0The
> three columns each record data for the time spent on a particular activity=
 in
> the week, ie running, swimming, cycling.
> Column E =3D numeric value vetween 120-200 (ie average heart rate)
>
> I've created the chart as follows:
> Column A =3D dates form x axis
> Columns B-D =3D data charted in stacked columns on primary axis
> Column E =3D charted on secondary axis
>
> Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong gratefully received!
>
> Thanks

In Windows Vista and Excel 2007 I had to take a different approach -
Layout, Axes, Primary X Axis, More Axis Options, Check "Text Axis"
under Axes type.

repost: split excel columns
Thank you for the feed back on the below question. When using "text to columns" it seems to create new columns and the info. in one column can be split but I was looking to essentially create two columns in one. For instance, within column D which was widened, I wanted two columns in rows 5:15. I'm trying to convert something into an excel template that is too long and don't want to change any of the column widths already in place. I know you can do this in Word when transferring an excel table. You would right click on the cell and there is a function called split ...

Cluster a 3-D Column
I am trying to create a 3-D column with clustered columns. Is this even possible, and if so, how do I do it. Here is what I have: Scores on a standardized test at intake, 6 months, and termination for males and females across 4 different years. Thanks Mondie Hi, depending on what you mean by clustered. In my example I laid my data out in the range A1:G6 Male Female In 6 Months Term In 6 Months Out 2000 57 76 35 59 40 59 2001 59 20 63 55 59 37 2003 57 76 35 59 40 59 2004 59 20 63 55 59 37 The Clustered 3d chart created a series for each year with In, 6 months and Out gr...

Lookup two columns
I want to compare the contents of two (adjacent) cells in one sheet with two adjacent cells in another sheet (within one workspace) and if the *pair* of cells are the same, deliver the value in the cell a few columns along (if you know what I mean - like lookup but comparing two cells). The cells are not sorted. Any ideas? Cheers. Bobby If you are comparing A1-B1 sheet 1 to A1-B1 sheet 2, then =IF(AND(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!B1=Sheet2!B1),"They match","no match") If you have to "lookup" A1-B1 against the whole columns of A and B on sheet2, then kyou co...

Nice Column Graph
So I have data like this: Year Month #start #end 2001 1 4 2 2001 2 6 5 2001 3 7 1 2001 4 5 4 2001 5 2 6 ..... I'd like to make a column chart where the year and month are on one axis and then I have a column for each #start and #end for each month/year pair. Is there a way to tell the chart wizard that I want to use those two columns for the x axis and then the #start and #end columns for the other? Thanks. Hi, Remove the 'Year' and 'Month' text from the 2 cells and then select and use the chart wiza...

run macros automatically
i have got around 10 macros in a excel spreadsheet. i want all of them to run when i open the file. or there should be a button which will runs all the macros whenever the user wants. You can do it either way really, First create a new macro, that runs all the ten macros that are in your workbook. If you want this macro to run whenever the sheet is opened, save it with the name 'Auto_Exec' and it will run automatically when you open the book. If you want to execute the macro on a button press, you can call it any name you wish. Next you will need to create a new button, so go ...

Calculate the % increase for two columns
I have a pivot table, the data was first display by date, i know i can use the grouping function to group data into monthly basis. But I want to know that can I set the formula to calculate the months difference between, say the sales amount of June & July, and the % of the difference?? Million thanks If you have a grouped field, you won't be able to add a calculated item to the pivot table. In the source data, you could add a column to calculate the month for each record. Refresh the pivot table, and add the new field Add another copy of the Data field to the data area Right-c...

Count column difference
Hi Using MSExcel 97. I have two columns of data e.g. A1: A4, containing values 5,10, 3, 6 B1:B4, containing values 3, 8, 7, 4 I wish to perform a count (e.g. in C5) of the number of rows where the value in column A exceeds the respective value in column B (in this case count = 3, as A1>B1, A2>B2, and A4>B4). Just cannot get my formula right. Tried using an array (but difficult when comparing the difference between two columns), and COUNT. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Wizzy ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.co...

Sum a column that meets two criteria
I need to sum a column of numbers if it matches two different criteria. I can set up the SUMIF easily for meeting one criteria, but I need to also sum the column if it meets that criteria, and another. For example: A B C 1 150 ABC MS1 2 200 DEF MS0 3 100 LMN MS0 4 125 ABC MS1 5 175 LMN MS1 6 225 DEF MS0 I need to have a formula that would say <<Sum column A IF column B = "DEF" AND column C = "MS0">>. (and so forth for the other combinations). I know there has to be a way to do this, probably using a combination of an IF and SUMIF functions - but i keep...

Duplicate Transactions from Automatic Downloads
Hello - About a month ago, transactions that Money 2007 automatically download from Schwab, started getting duplicated. Each time accounts were updated, I would get all transactions that happened within the last couple of days, regardless of whether they were downloaded before. Is this likely an issue with a corrupt MS Money file, or a problem with the download service? Is anyone else experiencing this, and does anybody know a solution? Thanks, Reddog Hey Reddog, Have a look at the thread started 11/15/07 titled 'Duplicate Transactions Downloading'. Rapid Robert "Re...

Where free 2 sigma statistical process control chart, free?
where can I download a free statistical process control chart template? ...

moving columns
Hi all, I have a sheet in which in row 3 there is data like this: ColumnA B C D E F Customer name 1-30 30-60 60-90 90-270 270-300 what is want is that 270-300 should move in front of 1-30, I mean t say that column F should move in front of Column B but after column A movement should be on basis that in column F, it is written 270-300 and columns may change , i mean to say that sometimes there is no 30-6 and 90-270 column columns may increase or decrease do we have a solution to this thank u al -- Message posted from http...

Validation
I would like to have combo box functionality for the data validation feature in Excel 2000. This doesn't seem to be available in the native validation setup dialog box. Am I missing something? I would like to display the validated items list in the leftmost column and have column(s) of description display to the right of each list item (so I can tell which list item I should select). Suggestions? Many Thanks, Bill Vallance Bill Debra Dalgleish has instructions for creating dependent DV lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 08 Jun 20...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart
Hi, I have the following data for example. A = 2 B= 3 C = 4 I can create a 2 D Bar chart from this quite easily. Now If I make the data to A = 2 , 3 B= 3 , 4 C = 4 , 5 I do want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from the value given after comma. Please help. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Fazi <farazahmedtoor@gmail.com> said: >I have the following data for example. >A = 2 , 3 >B= 3 , 4 >C = 4 , 5 > >I want to plot the data on the basis of firs...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?

Greying out a menu-bar item
Hi. I wish to greyout a menu bar item, eg "File" or "Edit". Normally not at problem to grey out things under the menu, eg "Undo" or "Save". So I go: void CInterfaceSDIDoc::OnUpdateOptions(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->Enable(FALSE); } But it doesn't work! The menu doesn't work, but it's not greyed out. Ideas? You could try getting the m_pMenu out of pCmdUI and explicitly call m_pMenu->EnableMenuItem(id, MF_GRAYED | MF_DISABLED). -- Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This...

Quick Launch bar
We are using Redirected User Folders via Group Policy on our network. I have a Quick Launch bar visible with various icons on it. If I change these they are fine until I log off and back on to my system at which point the quick launch icons revert back to the original ones from the Redirected User Folder. Why are they not updating? All help appreciated. Thank you -- ats@work They say they've got control of you But that's not true you know They say they're a part of you And that's a lie you know They say you will never be Free free free SLF - Alternative Uls...

What is the best chart for this....
When I want to compare how each salesperson's sales contributes to Total Sales, I can use a pie chart. But what do I use when I want to compare how each salesperson performed against the *average* of total sales? I am envisioning a vertical bar chart with a horizontal line at the average, but I need a solution that can be generated by a macro. Any advice? Thanks in advance. Patti Patti - That's how you would do it, a column chart with a horizontal line. On this web page, I give a couple techniques to achieve the horizontal line: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine...

Constant List
Is there an easy way to return the values of the ChartType constants? Excel 97 does not seem to list them in help and I have not been able to find them in google.group searches. Thanks M Select xlChartTypes in the Classes pane of the object browser. The constants are named in the members panel. If you select one, it provides the numeric equivalent at the bottom of the object browser, e.g., Const xlArea = 1 Member of Excel.XlChartType - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ M wrote: > Is there...

Excel --- Physical dimensions of a chart object
Is there a way to know the physical dimensions of a chart object on a worksheet? I have data in several worksheets and I would like all my charts to be of the same size (obviously this means that data with a smaller range of values will be more spread out than data with a larger range of values). Thanks, Nimmi This is just an example: Sub Macro2() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select n = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Width m = ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Height MsgBox (n & " BY " & m...

Text Boxes
Hi, I am currently using Excel in Office XP. I have created a small 'Text Box', but have a lot of text in it and I do not want to make the 'Text Box' any bigger. Is there any way that I can place 'Scroll Bars' on the 'Text Box' ? Regards Tappie Hi Tappie A textbox from the Controls Toolbox has a Scrollbars property. A textbox from the Drawing toolbar doesn't. HTH. best wishes Harald "Tappie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:2890e01c463ff$f1d86ec0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am currently using ...

Stacked and single column in same chart?
How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a single column? When I build a stacked column chart, any new source data I add wants to put it in the same stacked column. Use one of the links on this page. You need to set up the data so the single column is in a stacking position with no other columns of data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Einstine wrote: > How can I do a chart with a stacked column beside a sing...

CC automatically from distribution list
I am trying to set up a distribution list and trying to automatically cc people from this list (but now all). Is there someway to do this or a macro that can allow this to happen. ...

How do I add y-axis labeling on the right side of chart?
I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. You'll need to have at least two series in order to enter a secondary axis. On one of the series, change the Axis to Secondary axis. "DavidNHFCU" <DavidNHFCU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28759EE0-759E-4964-8F5E-6C49099653B6@microsoft.com... > I'd like to add an axis with same values on the right side of the chart. How can I force the y-axis at the bottom of my chart to appear for all 12 months when I only have Jan, Feb and March figures to put in the first thre...

"Print to Scale" Excel 2007 Charts
In Excel 2003, one could double-click a chart, print, and the chart would auto-size to fill a page. I am unable to print my newly-created Excel 2007 charts so they auto-size to print one-to-a-page (now requires several time-consuming steps for reformatting titles, axes, etc.). I do not have a "print to scale" option in my page setup. Printing to a Ricoh Aficio AP610N. Thanks so much. I will assume we are talking of an embedded chart (one sitting on a worksheet) and not a chart sheet. In Excel 2003 (all earlier) you did not double click, you just single clicked to...