Area Chart Question

Hello,

I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers.  Is there a way to show
the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
having the totals appear on the area graph itself?

John
0
JohnM (106)

John,

Unfortunately the data tables are not going to give you a lot of
flexibility.  Whatever is in the chart is going to show up on the data table.
 To get around this restriction, I would suggest creating a data table made
of worksheet cells as opposed to using the standard data table.  The link
below describes the process:

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/a_simple_alternative_to_built_in_data_tables/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"John M" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers.  Is there a way to show
> the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
> having the totals appear on the area graph itself?
>
> John
John -

You can format the totals series to be invisible: Double click on it,
Patterns tab, None for Area and Border.

The Y axis will behave nicer if you change the series to a line series
first: Select the series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and
pick out a line chart style. Now format this to be invisible: Double
click, Patterns tab, None for Marker and for Line.

This said, you may not care for the chart with a data table, since it
forces the ends of the area segments off the ends of the chart, leaving
an unsightly gap at either side. John's suggested approach is a decent
alternative, and Tushar Mehta has some additional suggestions for data
tables on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

John M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers.  Is there a way to show
> the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without
> having the totals appear on the area graph itself?
>
> John

Ask a question for thread
Hello,all: I want to know when I create a thread using the function AfxBeginThread() in VC,and I end the thread,Must I use the function CloseHandle() to close the thread's handle?Thank you. Lee Tow wrote: > Hello,all: > I want to know when I create a thread using the > function AfxBeginThread() in VC,and I end the thread,Must I use the function > CloseHandle() to close the thread's handle?Thank you. The CWinThread destructor takes care of closing the thread handle. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] more info http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2s21xzf...

Formatting Charts from Pivot Table...
I've created a pivot table/with chart. The default chart was a bar chart, which I've changed to a pie chart. The problem is I don't like the default colors so I've changed them to the way I like them; however, once I save the document they go back to the default colors. Is there any way to keep the revised colors, rather than the default colors? Thanks, KSL. ...

How can I export a chart as a jpg/tif?
Hi there, I regularly produce charts/graphs in Excel (2007), but need to export them as a tiff or jpeg so that I can submit them to a scientific journal for publishing (most publishers prefer images in this format). Copying and pasting does not work, or if it does, the resolution is poor or data is missing. A previous posting on here had a response that mentioned an 'export' option, but I cannot locate this. I'd be really grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance, Tony. In VBA the Chart object has an Export method, which can convert a chart to a variety of raster forma...

Excel 2003
Hi, was hoping someone might be able to help with this problem. We have a chart with two y axes, which displays fine on screen, and prints fine most of the time... but every now and then it prints squashed vertically. Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what may be causing it? Many thanks, Marc ...

How do I name the Bubbles on my Bubble chart.
I created a Bubble Chart using the help feature but I need to name the three Bubbles. I don't know how to lay it out in excel and then copy the range to accomplish this. The easiest way to give the bubbles different names and have the names appear in data labels is to create three different bubble series. The data I used in a little demo is like this: Bubble A 1 1 1 Bubble B 2 2 2 Bubble C 3 3 3 Each mini range contains the series name in the middle cell of the top row, with X, Y, and bubble size values in the bottom row. Select...

Basic XmlTextReader question

flow charts #2
When I was in construction, we had a paper flow chart that had horizonal lines for WHO and for HOW LONG. First day of construction (April 1st) was for the earth movers, (7 days) Just underneath that was the survayors. (Started on the 5th day of earth movers and lasted 4 days) Then came the trenchers to put in the underground piping (April 8th, for 3 days), Electricians (April 8th 4 days) If you get the gist of the chart, is there one out there that will simply show this? BTW, the bars were colored and you could see at a glance as to what was supposed to be happening on any given day....

Excel 2007 query
Question: In Excel 2007, when clicking on the: 1) =91Data=92 Ribbon/Tab=85 and choosing.. 2) =91From Access=92 and selecting any Access mdb, the database will be opened in =91exclusive=92 mode and will be locked for all other users on the network! Why??? When recording these steps, I see that the default system query uses =93Mode=3DShare Deny Write=94. Any workaround? In Excel versions, prior to 2007, the default query connected to the mdb in =91readonly=92 mode, which was fine. Thanks. mj ...

Multiple detail areas in one report
We are creating a database which uses several forms to input data into a Master_Data table. There are several categories for the data ex: Full Service Driver, Trade Driver, Misc Receipts, Misc Payouts. I need a report that breaks these categories out in detail like so: Cashier Driver# Driver Name Full Service Checks Full Service Currency Full Service Coin Subtotal Cashier Driver# Driver Name Trade Checks Trade Currency Trade Coin ...

Superscript in Chart Axis Titles
Does anyone know whether you can use superscipts/subscripts in the titles of Axes? I can't seem to get this text formating option. Thanks in advance, Dave Jon Peltier has instructions on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ScientificNotation.html David Pechter wrote: > Does anyone know whether you can use > superscipts/subscripts in the titles of Axes? I can't > seem to get this text formating option. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Dave - Actually, you can select the title, then select ...

Excluding weekends from stock chart
I am trying to chart a high-low-close stock chart. The first field in the data series is the date. Because it is stock data there are obviously no data points at the weekends. Excel recognises the field as a date and the x axis is correctly formatted except that it creates gaps in the graph every 5 days to represent the weekends. How can I exclude the weekends since no weekends appear in the data. Thank you You can change the x-axis setting: 1. Select the chart 2. Choose Chart>Options 3. Select the Axes tab 4. For Category (x) axis, choose Category, click OK Isy Taman wrote: >...

Areas Privileges
Hi All, I have created a new Area. Eg: "CTW" . I added a new entity under this. Now i want to give privileges for particular roles. I am having 2 security roles. 1. Team Lead 2. Team Member I want the "CTW" area to be viewed for Team Lead role and not to be viewed for Team Member. How to do this? Plz help me.. and one more question ---- can we customize the "Personalize WorkPlace" screen. can we add new tabs? How to do this? Eg: I want to add that "CTW" as a tab in to this screen. Plz let me know if any answers... Th...

Gantt chart in Excel 2003
Is there an easy way to create a simple Gantt chart in Excel 2003? It would be a 6 month timeline of project deadlines and milestones. I have no experience with Gantt charting, nor do I have any experience with MS Project. So I am completely at a loss. Any ideas? albarbl, Yes, have someone else build it for you.(lol) Just kidding. Check out this web site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346051033.aspx I got this by going to google.com and entering gantt chart. hth :-) "albarbl" wrote: > Is there an easy way to create a simple Gantt chart in Excel 2003? ...

excel 2007 edit chart titles
I just upgraded from Excel 2003 to 2007. I am having a problem editing chart titles in Excel 2007. When I try to edit, by highlighting the section to be changed (in this case a model number or year). It only lets me change one character at a time. And to complicate things, it then returns only the new character typed -- and an "undo" brings me back to this onew character change at a time. This has the look of something that needs only a minor setting adjustment, but I have not been able to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. ...

xml newbie question
We've have just reached a point where our program needs some type of Industry standard file format & XML seems the obvious choice Before I go rushing off and use the wrong system can anyone give a little advice Our files may be quite large but we will only use them for the - File-Open and File-Save options I am currently working in MFC but would like the opportunity to more to .NET later on I generally want to store human readable files but also some binary (bitmaps etc) We use the MFC serialisation which makes for easy programming but a hard life - is there an XML serialisatio...

setting XValues property when charting using macros
Hello, I hope this message finds you well. I had a quick question concering XValues syntax. I am trying to set the XValues of series 3 in Chart 1 of Sheet1. I am trying to use the values within cells C33 to C35 for the XValues. The code I am using is listed as follows: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(3).XValues = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(.Cells(33, 3), .Cells(35, 3)) Apparently, there is compile error when I use .Cell in my code. The error me...

Money 2005 Question
Just installed Money 2005. Every time I start it, it tries to go to the internet. I've shut off auto updates, but it still does it. Any way to stop it. Frank You might want to enable the update for Money... "Frank" wrote: > Just installed Money 2005. Every time I start it, it tries to go to the > internet. I've shut off auto updates, but it still does it. Any way to > stop it. > Frank > > > You might want to let it do that, as that is how updates to M2005 program get downloaded. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips &am...

Problems charting x axis values
Ok, lets say I have a dates (3/14/94) in columns a2 and a25 and (3/15/04) in columns a27 and a50 and times (0:00) in columns b2 and (11:00) in b25 and the same time in columns b27 and b50. The problem is when I type in the category x axis labels =sheet2!$a2:$b50 it will only label the first date in columns a2 and a27 and not the ones in a25 and a50. ----------------------------------------------------------- x axis 0:00 0:00 Does this 3/14/94 3/15/04 -----------------------------------------------...

Question about Outlook 2007
Hi guys, I have been unable to view attachments of any file type using Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate. * When I try to view an attachment, for example a GIF file, I get a message box saying "The operation Failed. An object could not be found." * When I try to save the attachment, I get a message box saying "Cannot save the attachment." * When I try to "preview" the file, I get a page with a message saying "This file cannot be previewed. Try opening the file in the program in which it was created." I can, however, view, preview and save the same f...

vlookup question #3
My wife owns a t-shirt company and I'm trying to help her write a spreadsheet that will calculate price per shirt printed using a vlookup formula. The table has 10 rows of quantities in the left column and 6 colums of colors 1-6 across the top row. As long as I only use one vlookup (for a one sided print job) it works perfectly. Where I'm getting stuck is when I try to add a second vlookup for the number of colors to be printed on the back of each shirt. As long as I have a quantity of 1 to 6 it works fine. It's when the value is 0 or blank that something is going very wrong. Th...

OT: Willing to entertain some questions about Visual Studio C# Express?
Hello: Apologies for the off-topic post, but I was wondering if one of the regulars here who may be familiar with Visual Studio C# might be willing to correspond with me and answer a few beginner-type questions? I'm facing the possibility of needing to learn/use C# for a project of mine... but I'd like some answers before I dip my toe in the pool. Thanks... now back to your regularly scheduled Microsoft Access newsgroup.. Cheers! Fred Boer "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote: >Apologies for the off-topic post, but I was wondering if one of the re...

Property Sheet Question
Greetings: I am trying to create a property sheet that provides access to the separate pages using the thumb tabs, but also shows, outside of the thumb tabs, some data that is common to all of the property pages. It looks like the stardard property sheet approach allows you only three push buttons for the standard property sheet or there's the "wizard" option but I'm not interested in those. I would like to have some controls on the sheet itself that are NOT on the thumb-tabbed pages. Is this possible? How can I do this? Thank you, Mark Roberts Toronto, Canada Create T...

how to create chart with five data variables
I need to create a chart off of a spreadsheet with five variables I have to show: Room Fiscal Year (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) Business Hour usage After-Hours usage Quantity (number of times the room was used that year) Currently I have the data as Fiscal Year in rows by Business or After Hours (FY03 Business Hours, FY03 After Hours, FY04 BH, FY04AH, etc.) Rooms in columns, and Quantity as cell value. What I want to do is create a stacked column chart that shows has Room for the X-axis value, Quanity for the Y-axis, Fiscal Year on the Z-axis (so it would be a 3-dimensional chart) and stack the ...

in box repair tool question
I have a damaged file in outlook. I open the in box repair tool, as the error message instructs. I look for the file that is apparently the problem, again per the error. The file is not there. Just doesn't exist. When I type the name in, it says it doesn't exist. I imagine it is a hidden file. I can I brose through the In Box repair tool and get this file fixed. Thoughts? How did you determine the name and location of the file and what makes you think it is "apparently the problem?" PST file are hidden files. Did you enable the display of hidden files? -- Russ Valentine ...

richedit version and dual font binding questions
Hi everybody, I am struggling with richedit control. The first is richedit version. Now in msdn document there are only for v2.0, 3.0, 4.1. But in fact there are also v3.1 and v4.0 (e.g., version number is 5.31.23.1218 and 5.40.11.2210). Is there any differences between 3.0, 3.1 and 4.0? The second question is very strange about dual font binding. I need to support the line number display in a richedit control. This need all the lines are same height. I thought richedit v3.0 TM_PLAINTEXT mode should support this easily. But if I load a text file into a CRichEditView with the mixing of Eng...