Alternate Y axis in bar charts

I have a bar chart with 2 data series on it.  I want to use separate y axes
for each, but the bars keep appearing on top of eachother, no matter what I
try.  I want one set of bars to use the left hand Y axis and the other set of
bars to use the axis on the right side.  2-D bar charts apparently don't do
this.   Is there a way to perform this function?
0
Patty (25)

Hi,

Have a look at this page.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Patty" wrote:

> I have a bar chart with 2 data series on it.  I want to use separate y axes
> for each, but the bars keep appearing on top of eachother, no matter what I
> try.  I want one set of bars to use the left hand Y axis and the other set of
> bars to use the axis on the right side.  2-D bar charts apparently don't do
> this.   Is there a way to perform this function?
0
HEK (135)
6/27/2006 7:55:02 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.  I figured out how to do it before I got your
post.  FYI, this is how I did it also.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have a look at this page.
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Patty wrote:
> > I have a bar chart with 2 data series on it.  I want to use separate y axes
> > for each, but the bars keep appearing on top of eachother, no matter what I
> > try.  I want one set of bars to use the left hand Y axis and the other set of
> > bars to use the axis on the right side.  2-D bar charts apparently don't do
> > this.   Is there a way to perform this function?
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
Patty (25)

population pyramids using bar charts with a secondary axis
I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However, I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have some suggestions. My organization has been producing reports that contain population pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to the point where we would like our charts to be available online for download....

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

keeping calendar and folders in navigation bar
ol03. i have navigation bar open. i click on calendar button (small icons) at bottom and calendar opens showing several months. i then click on 'folder list' icon, and folders show on navigation bar with current month still at top. that is perfect. except if i click on one of the folders, the month disappears and folders take up the whole nav. bar. isn't there a way to keep calendar and folders open at same time? ...

Truncated "y" axis label in chart
:confused: Hi guys I have a problem with Excel, the label on the �Y� axis appears truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem? -- flakkortin -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

more symbols in chart
I need to chart an experiment data for 28 monkeys. I wanted to use a separate symbol for each monkey. I am limited to black and white only, so I can't use multiple colors. I am experimenting on changing white, black for back ground color, fore color, to make a distinct symbol for each monkey. Does any body know how do we get more symbols on the chart? Thanks in advance for any help, sheela Jon Peltier has instructions for Custom series markers: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html sheela wrote: > I need to chart an experiment data for 28 ...

Tools Icon on Excel Menu Bar Missing
I don't know what I did, but the Tools Icon on my Excel (2000)Menu bar has gone missing. I've even tried re- installing Office 2000, but I didn't get it back. Can anyone help? You can reset your menubar to default Right click on the menubar and choose customize Under Toolbars select the worksheet menubar and click on reset on the right You lost the things you add to the menubar!! -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "GHO" <olsongh@boone.net> wrote in message news:014a01c34f9e$d4cdf3c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I don'...

Drop Down List for Chart
I have grouped my series into several groups. How do I display a drop down list including the groups which will dynamically identify which series to plot on the chart? For example: Group A = Series 1, Series 2, Series 3 Group B = Series 4, Series 5 Group C = Series 6 Drop down list includes values: "Group A", "Group B", "Group C" When Group A is selected within the drop down, Series 1, 2 and 3 are plotted on the chart. Do you mean you have to plot data, and have the chart move week to week? if so, easiest way is to use a hlookup/vlookup "savior1&quo...

How do I assign labels to scatter charts
Hi. I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual points. How do I do this? Many thanks in advance for your help. Tom Hi, Here is an explanation of how to link a chart text element to a cell. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm But if you have more than a couple of data labels to do you really need to use code. This free addin will do it for you. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy ThomasStudd wrote: > Hi. > > I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual > points. H...

how can I show repeating values in a chart?
I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how can I show that compared to the number 50 which come up 2 times in the sheet? Thanks for the help Hi, You will need to compute those values using formula or a pivot table and then chart the results. Cheers Andy Cindy wrote: > I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. > For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how > can I show that compared to the number 50 whi...

3D Pie Chart
Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise above the others not seperating from the pie. Does that make sense? I am using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version. If anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited. THANKS! Hi, Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize. To e...

Scatter Charts #3
Hi, I am plotting a XY chart. I want that every point should be of different colour. Possibly I can define a range of 2 columns where column 1 contains the name for which the point is plotted and column 2 contains the colour for that point. I have seen this being done in one chart but that person is no longer available for help Please tell me how is it done Thanks Shilps Hi Shilps - Double click on the chart, and on the Options tab, check the Vary Colors by Point box. Now that you know where it's hidden, you'll become the resident expert! - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel...

Reprsent negative values in excel charts
Hi, Can someone help in how to reprsent the negative values in the chart and which is the best chart to represent it? What type of chart are you making? In a line, column, bar, XY, or area chart, the negative values are merely plotted on the other side of an axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "uha" <uha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166604B5-A331-4EE6-8010-D921C1EEA017@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can someone help in how to reprsent t...

How to disable the scroll bar in CSCrollView
Hi, I want to display the scroll bar in the CScrollView derived windows, but if there is no need to scroll I want the scroll bar is disabled, is it possible to do this? Thank you! ...

conditional format of data tables in charts
I've created a chart that is based on a data set where the cells have conditional formatting (if value a > value b then colour the cell red) I have the data table displayed with the chart (in chart options, 'show data table' is ticked), but the condtional formatting is not displayed in this table, i.e cells that are red in my original data set are not coloured in the chart table. Is there any way to apply the conditional format on the table displayed within the chart? Cheers Dan. Daniel, Unfortunately you can't apply conditional formating to data tables. However, yo...

Money 2004: Error in Subtotals and Cash Flow Charts
On my Account List screen and in the charts on my Cash Flow screen, the subtotals for my checking, credit card, and investment accounts are shown as ridiculously large numbers (i.e. $268,991,640,696,311.71). When I check each account for beginning balances ($0) and all of the transactions in each account, I can't find anything that would be causing this. (The ending balances at the list of transactions in each account is correctly listed.) My currency is also correctly set to USD. Does anyone know where this huge number might be coming from? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money...

Trendline on stacked bar graph
Hello How can you add a trendline to a stacked bar graph? Thanks -- Joni ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Joni's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13596 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513635 Keep in mind that a stacked chart depicts a sum of one or more series, not just each series. Trendlines only work on individual series. You could either generate trendlines for each series on a non-stacked basis, or you could add dummy line chart series to the stacked column chart...

Excel has stopped showing graphs on seperate chart tabs
All chart only worksheets appear as the vacant background (as if no file is open) yet the worksheet tabs are all visible. Charts embedded in a worksheet show OK. This applies to all files created or historic 97-2003 type files. What's causing it and what can I do? ...

Can a chart add data to a table?
Once I have created a chart, is it possible to use functions so that the chart's data is automatically inputted into a table I create? I know this seems to be a little backward, but any assistance/ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you. The chart's data already comes from a worksheet somewhere. Can't you use the original data? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ A little stuck wrote: > Once I have created a chart, is it possible to use functions so that the > chart's data is automatically inputted into a table...

chart "squaring"
I'm trying to "square" a chart... I mean: given 2 points (P1 and P2) with coordinates P1(x1,y1) and P2(x2,y2), I want set the vertical (y) distance between P2 and P1 equal to the horizontal distance between the points (on the monitor, in pixels). I start with a chart, and after drawing the chart (let's say with ..plotarea.width = k) I want resize it to fit my need. From a matematichal point of view, the problem is very simple. What I want is that: (y2-y1) -------- = 1 (x2-x1) So (y2-y1) = (x2-x1). Obviously you have to consider the value in pixel of both y2, y1 and x2,x...

Better display of my pie charts
Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts? They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my report it looks less than professional. Is there a way to get excel to smooth the curves better? Thanks, Tom On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said: >Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts? > >They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my >report it looks less than professional. Is there a way to get excel to >smooth the curves better? So...

How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?
Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?" See examples on my website using Trapezoid & Simpson's Rule. Bernard www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips "kp" <kp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3BF4B4B-6030-45E1-B17E-50005FD9FBAB@microsoft.com... > Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart > drawn in Excel file?" I'm not aware of such a feature in the various chart menus, but you can calculate the area directly from the data used for th...

Specify style and color of marker in chart
Hello -- User plans to plot no more than 8 data series, and Wants series marker to be a: - specified style("shape") (chosen from among 8 preferred shapes), and - solid color (chosen from among 8 preferred colors) Shape and color are arbitrarily assigned, depending on the sequence in which the series is plotted. Current code successfully plots the data, but does not assign marker style or color the way we want. Can someone tell me what is wrong with the following code? Function SeriesPlot( _ SeriesNum As Integer, _ SeriesName As String, _ RangeSeries As...

Default chart Title for Pivot Charts
Hi, I have a pivot table and i am creating a pivot chart of it. The problem is there is not title for the chart when it is created. I want to set a title to the chart before it is created. how can i achieve this? why does excel give a blank chart title when it is created? Expecting a positive reply Thanks Nagesh ...

chart type does not correspondent with what I choose
If I want to make a chart in excel 2007, I go to insert, scatter, and click on the first pictogram: markings without lines. But each time I do this, I receive a chart, WITH lines. Is this a known problem, and are there work-arounds or patches? Thank you in advance, Bruno Curieus: if I first add the data, select them, and then make a chart, it does it without lines. If I first make a chart, and later add the data (wich is necessaire if the different columns of data are not next to each other) it uses lines. Also, setting scatter without lines as standard, in the "other chart type&...

Creating a Bar Graph with a reference point
Hey guys, I would like to create a Bar Chart/Graph (horizontal) that would have two sets of values and one category group. I would like to display this as followed: value set 1 to be a bar and the value set 2 to be a reference dot for value set 1. Say my Data looks like the following: CatergoryGroup Val1 Val2 Month1 1 4 Month2 2 3 Month3 7 5 Again, I want Val1 to be bars. Val 2 I want to be dots on the same graph. I looked at the Column Charts and there is the "Plot Data as Li...