Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?

Hello,

Will blame it on my age.

Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP.

When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the
bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of
its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box,
etc on the chart itself ?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)

Hi,

With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes.
To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Will blame it on my age.
>
> Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP.
>
> When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the
> bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of
> its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a
> box, etc on the chart itself ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/16/2009 3:38:17 PM
Hi,

Thank you very much for the help.

One more on this, please.

Apparently the default grid does not allow me to make a truly horiz line.

Moving the end of the line always seems to result in just a bit more than
horiz if I
move it up or down just a little.

Hard to believe the grid doesn't allow for a  true horiz line, but that
seems to be the case.
Think I'm doing anything wrong ?

How can I change the grid spacing ?

Is it possible to do a "nudge" of one end of the line ?  How ?

Thanks again, appreciate the help,
Bob
------------------

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations >
> Shapes.
> To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert
> tab.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Will blame it on my age.
>>
>> Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP.
>>
>> When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on
>> the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on
>> one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text
>> with a box, etc on the chart itself ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)
10/16/2009 8:05:16 PM
Hi Robert11,

Hold the Shift key down when you add a line, that will result in a
horizontal (or vertical) line.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

0
ed9314 (42)
10/17/2009 6:18:14 AM
Hi Ed,

Nope, doesn't do it.  Line still not absolutely horiz.

What am I possibly doing wrong ?

Also, how does one call up the default grid (spacing) and change it perhaps
?
Is there a "nudge" function somewhere ?

Should have stayed with my 2003 Excel, I guess.
That vers was so simple and intuitive !

Thanks again for help; appreciate it,
Bob

----------------
"Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
> Hi Robert11,
>
> Hold the Shift key down when you add a line, that will result in a
> horizontal (or vertical) line.
>
> Ed Ferrero
> www.edferrero.com

0
rgsros1 (38)
10/17/2009 11:57:31 AM
Hi,

Finally got it.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob
----------------------------

> Hi Ed,
>
> Nope, doesn't do it.  Line still not absolutely horiz.
>
> What am I possibly doing wrong ?
>
> Also, how does one call up the default grid (spacing) and change it
> perhaps ?
> Is there a "nudge" function somewhere ?
>
> Should have stayed with my 2003 Excel, I guess.
> That vers was so simple and intuitive !
>
> Thanks again for help; appreciate it,
> Bob
>
> ----------------
> "Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Robert11,
>>
>> Hold the Shift key down when you add a line, that will result in a
>> horizontal (or vertical) line.
>>
>> Ed Ferrero
>> www.edferrero.com

0
rgsros1 (38)

How to select series in chart?

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Multiple stacked bar charts

transparent areas in charts?

printing 2 charts on single page

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Adding a Macro to a VLookup Function
In Excel 2000 -- I would like to create a summary spreadsheet (sheet2). For each time that "Name" appears in sheet 1, row *, take information from the same row, but columns 2 and 6 and bring it over to sheet 2 in the designated area. I know that you need to do a "VLookup" function and I got that to work. I know that you also need a "Loop" statement, so that it will continue to perform the Vlookup and bring over the information for each time that the name appears. I don't know how to write the formula so that the VLookup and the Loop are combined. Examp...

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

copy chart from Excel to Powerpoint

RPC Over HTTP on Single Server

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...

Format List Box!

Combo Box initial values question
Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. thanks tp Hi Teepee, Try something like: Me.ComboBox1.ListIndex = 0 --- Regards, Norman "teepee" <teepee@noemail.com> wrote in message news:4645ed29$1@newsgate.x-privat.org... > Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? > Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. > > thanks > > tp > > thanks for trying. says 'invalid use of me keyword.&...