Adding a second x-axis to an ExCel chart

How can I add a second x-axis to an ExCel chart? Specifically, I wan
one with
values running high to low and the second running low to high for
Tilman plot.
Thanks for the help!!

Cheers!

Dirk
dirk.sears@verizon.ne

--
Selaretu
Selaretus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1633

Dirk -

You need at least two series, one for primary and one for secondary axes. Double
click one series, and on the Axis tab, select Secondary. This produces a secondary Y
axis. Right click the chart, choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, and on the
Axes tab, check the secondary X axis box, and if desired, uncheck the secondary Y
axis box.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Selaretus wrote:

> How can I add a second x-axis to an ExCel chart? Specifically, I want
> one with
> values running high to low and the second running low to high for a
> Tilman plot.
> Thanks for the help!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Dirk
> dirk.sears@verizon.net

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

Hours and Minutes in Excell working with 5 digits hhhhh:mm
I use a spreadsheet at work to record aircraft flying hours in the hours and minutes format i.e 8475:45 if then i fit a component with a life of 3000:00 hrs and then want a figure of when the component is due to be changed then excell has a major problem with adding the two values together how can i use 5 digits for the hours any ideas ? Hi AFAIK the maximum for Excel is 9999 hours. Above that you can't use Excel's date/time values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dougie -b-" <Dougie -b-@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C5BAA72...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Adding Named Formulas to a Chart
Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to series' field. Do i just add teh name of the formula in quotes, singl quotes, or what? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maurice, like this: =workbook.xls!rangename -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "maurices5000 >" <<maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:maurices5000.178a3w@excelforum-nospam.com... > Guys I've been trying to figure out how to add a named formula to a > ...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

Adding a new data series to an existing chart
I have a stacked bar chart that shows monthly sales by customer type. I want to add an additional data series to show the monthly forecast, to be displayed as a point or line against the existing stacked-bar data. Any ideas? Select the data you want to plot. Drag onto the chart. XL will pop up with a dialog box asking for some information. Provide it and you will be all set. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <1418C2D7-4DF6-4945-A08A...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

Move gridlines in a chart so that they are above the numbers
I have done a chart in excel and the gridlines are set so that the y axis numbers are inbetween the gridlines. When I choose minor gridlines I get double the gridlines. I just want a gridline above each number in my y axis Double click the axis that intersects the gridlines, and on the Scale tab, uncheck Axis Crosses Between Categories. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Tara Medway" <Tara Medway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47400C54-74B4-4E67-93AD-AE8B3F09BE47@microsoft.com...

How do I make the x axis data the y axis data?
My graph automatically makes certain data the y axis and other data the x axis. I need to just reverse it for the graph I am looking for. Any suggestions? SLG, One option is to reverse the positions of the data on the spreadsheet. Assuming an XY chart, you would change a setup like this: x y 5 4 4 2 5 3 7 4 6 5 to this: y x 4 5 2 4 3 5 4 7 5 6 If this doesn't work, can you post back to let us know what type of chart and data you're using? ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "SLG" wrote: > My graph automatically makes certain data the y axis ...

Prevent auto recoloring of chart when using Pivot Table data
I have crated a Pivot tabel with data I want to show in a Chart. My problem is when I refresh data the colours of the "data series" changes. For exaple I want one of my series "OK" always be shown in green colour, but after a refresh of pivot all colours changes. This problem is not only colouring. If I have made changes to my chart so that one series ar plotted on a secondary axis, and I change it to another chart type (e.g. the secondary should be shown as a line instead of column) this also changes when refreshing the data. Most irritating! Anyone that knows how to p...

Suppress Chart Legend Series
Is there a way to suppress a series in the chart legend if the series at a particular time equals zero? Thanks - Not that I can think of. Bernard "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22f201c427aa$af9c0da0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to suppress a series in the chart legend if > the series at a particular time equals zero? > > Thanks - > Alex - You can hide a legend entry. Select the legend, then select the text of the legend entry, then press Delete. This cannot be done conditionally based on the values in the ser...

why is the chart displayed only when the chart area is clicked on?
We used the chart wizard to create a chart. The chart area is greyed out and the chart is displayed only when the chart area is clicked on. We tried to create the same chart using a new workbook and we don't have this problem. Hi, Use the menu Tools > Options. On the View tab in the Objects section make sure Show All is selected rather than place holders. Cheers Andy Vivien wrote: > We used the chart wizard to create a chart. The chart area is greyed out and > the chart is displayed only when the chart area is clicked on. We tried to > create the same chart using a...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

determining (and displaying) slopes that exceed x
I have created elevation profiles of state park trails that I have GPSed. The X is distance in miles, the Y is elevation in feet, plotted on a scatter chart (the locations of the GPS points is not uniform). I would like to show the areas of the trail that exceed a particular slope in a different color. I suspect I would have to create a new data series that includes just those areas and then add it to the chart. How do I determine which areas meet the criteria I set forth? JZip, Assuming the miles and feet data below, say you want to color any part of the series that exceeds a sl...

saving Word document to os x server
I have noticed some strange behaviour while save Word 2004 documents to our os x (10.2.8) server. When I open the Word 2004 document and make a change, then save it, it takes forever to save the document (by forever I mean 2-3 times longer than with Word vX). I keep the document open, make another change, then save again, and it takes not so long to save the document (somewhat faster than Word vX). Again making a change, then saving, and faster saving continues until I save and close. If I then re-open the document and save it, it again takes forever to save. In short: after opening ...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Charting blocks of time as a bar graph
Is there a way to convert/display a given chunk of time (for example a person's shift) into a bar graph/chart? For example: If someone works 6am-2pm, I would like to have that shift show up as a bar in a graph covering those hours. I would ultimately like to enter a person's shift and have it display somewhere else on the page or another sheet in a graph form to see graphically if we are short in coverage somewhere. An example of what I mean can be found here: https://public.me.com/gadgetman Any suggestions/help???? hi, you can download a model (Gantt Chart) here: http://o...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

How can I create and display a chart dynamically on a UserForm wi.
I am trying to create charts dynamically using VBA and Excel. The data being plotted will change frequently, and my client wants to interface only with the user form, and not the worksheet itself. I know that you can use the MSChart control to do this in VB6, but I was wondering if there is a similar control for use with Excel and VBA. If so, any additional info on how to use it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I think it's an incredibly dumb idea to want to interface only with a userform (and sacrifice the flexibility of direct access to a chart). Maybe, you can convince your c...

What defines an advanced level of Excel?
I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I was looking at applying for an office assitant job and it said I needed an advanced level of Excel. I have been using Excel for some time now, although I recently decided to do a short course starting from the basics to help identify what I may be missing in my knowledge. We didn't delve into complex formulars but covered all our basics and gave our selves the background knowledge to explor further. I am all over the place, such as inputing data, retreiving data from sources such as SQL server, text files and so on. Formatt...