Add Value to the Chart

I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have been
doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia.

   Date	   "X"	 "Y"
6/21/2005	    0	  0
7/6/2005	  147	0.008
7/18/2005	  197	0.012
8/5/2005	  255	0.016
8/18/2005	  289	0.016
9/8/2005	  337	0.006
9/19/2005	  360	0.017

0
maperalia (28)

How would you like the date to appear? As a data label on each point? then
use one of these handy data labeling add-ins:

  Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
  John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"maperalia" <maperalia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
> value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
> been
> doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Maperalia.
>
>   Date    "X" "Y"
> 6/21/2005     0   0
> 7/6/2005   147 0.008
> 7/18/2005   197 0.012
> 8/5/2005   255 0.016
> 8/18/2005   289 0.016
> 9/8/2005   337 0.006
> 9/19/2005   360 0.017

Jon;
Thanks for your quick response.
Regarding your question a want the data appears as a secondary "x" value in
the top of the chart.

Thanks.
Maperalia

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> How would you like the date to appear? As a data label on each point? then
> use one of these handy data labeling add-ins:
>
>   Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>   John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> "maperalia" <maperalia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
> > value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
> > been
> > doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Maperalia.
> >
> >   Date    "X" "Y"
> > 6/21/2005     0   0
> > 7/6/2005   147 0.008
> > 7/18/2005   197 0.012
> > 8/5/2005   255 0.016
> > 8/18/2005   289 0.016
> > 9/8/2005   337 0.006
> > 9/19/2005   360 0.017

0
maperalia (28)
12/17/2005 1:57:02 AM
The way to do this is to add another series which uses the same X values but
uses the maximum on the Y axis for the Y value of each point. The data would
look like this, assuming a Y max of 0.02.

  Date      "X"    "Y"    Y2
6/21/2005     0   0      0.02
7/6/2005    147   0.008  0.02
7/18/2005   197   0.012  0.02
8/5/2005    255   0.016  0.02
8/18/2005   289   0.016  0.02
9/8/2005    337   0.006  0.02
9/19/2005   360   0.017  0.02

Before adding this series, double click the Y axis and switch to the Scale
tab, and uncheck the Auto box in front of the Maximum box, then use the
maximum entry in the data table where I've inserted 0.02.

Select the chart, choose Source Data on the Chart menu, click on the Series
tab. Click Add, click in the X values box and select the X values, click in
the Y values box and select the new Y values. Enter a name ("Date" is good)
in the appropriate box.

Double click this new series, and on the Patterns tab, choose None for
markers and line.

Use a third party chart labeling add-in, such as one of these, to add the
dates in the first column as labels to the new series. Use the "Above"
alignment option. Both of these add-ins are free, easy to install and to
use.

> Jon;
> Thanks for your quick response.
> Regarding your question a want the data appears as a secondary "x" value
> in
> the top of the chart.
>
> Thanks.
> Maperalia
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> How would you like the date to appear? As a data label on each point?
>> then
>> use one of these handy data labeling add-ins:
>>
>>   Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>>   John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com/
>> _______
>>

>> "maperalia" <maperalia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put
>> >the
>> > value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
>> > been
>> > doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > Maperalia.
>> >
>> >   Date    "X" "Y"
>> > 6/21/2005     0   0
>> > 7/6/2005   147 0.008
>> > 7/18/2005   197 0.012
>> > 8/5/2005   255 0.016
>> > 8/18/2005   289 0.016
>> > 9/8/2005   337 0.006
>> > 9/19/2005   360 0.017

VLOOKUP with multiple look-up values
I have a vlookup which looks up the value of an expense code for a particular branch, set up as a named range (BRANCH A) & chosen from a drop-down list in cell C3. It works fine for one expense code 4001 thus: =VLOOKUP(4001,INDIRECT(C3),2,FALSE) My problem comes when in some instances I need to add together the value of several (up to 10) expense codes in that cell, say 4001,4003,4011,4014). The total value would then change dependent on which branch is selected, but the group of expense codes would always be the same irrespective of which branch is chosen in C3. What is ...

Export Chart
I have a report (could be a form if it helps) that includes both text and a chart. I would like to be able to export that report to MSWord. I know you can export to rich text format, but when you do that, the chart is not included. Is there a way to export the chart to a Word doc and include the chart? Terry ...

removal of zero in column chart
I have a worksheet that charts weekly values. I put these values into a chart, which is regularly updated as I change the weekly values. I don't want any zerio values to be charted. Is there any way for me to have the chart only display the >0 values and display NO COLUMN if the value was zero? thanks. Where does the X axis cross the Y axis? If what you mean is that you dont want the catagories with 0 to be plotted, the simplest way to do it depends on whether you have the data in columns or rows. Since the charts by default only plot from visible cells, You can hide the colu...

Chart Question #5
I want to make a chart that tracks the progress for a column of data. I can make a chart now for the data that I have, but how do I make the chart grab new data that is inserted every day? I know I can drag down x number of rows on the column, but is there a way to just have the data insert itself one row at a time as data is entered? In article <oshbc41l8nkrctj7upmrfb2rdfed20oosb@4ax.com>, JimS <jimx22@msn.com> wrote: >I want to make a chart that tracks the progress for a column of data. >I can make a chart now for the data that I have, but how do I make the >chart grab...

How do you show plot area only-no chart area
I want to minimise the size of the chart box to the size of the plot area only i.e. no scales legends etc On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, SteveOz <SteveOz@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to minimise the size of the chart box to the size of the plot area >only i.e. no scales legends etc Delete the scales and legends etc., and set the background to transparent. -- Del Cotter NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk, which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead. ...

Value of non-numeric characters in a formula
As pretty much an Excel newbie, why does Excel (97 and 2002) treat a non-numeric character as having a value of 1 in a =PRODUCT formula? It treats the same character as a 0 in a =SUM formula. Make C1 =PRODUCT(A1,B1). Then, e.g put 5 in A1 and 3 in B1. C1 shows 15. Fine. Now try putting 0 in B1. C1 is now 0. Fine again. Now try putting an e or a comma in B1. C1 shows 5! Why? Try the same thing with C1 = SUM(A1,B1). The result will be 8, 5, and 5. TIA for the explanation. I'm sure it's there somewhere in the Help info, but I can't see it. -- Jeff (Remove xxx from emai...

Dynamic Charts Offset
Please help. I have read other posts but my situation is a bit different and I am having trouble adapting the suggestions to my situation. I am creating a bar chart that shows per contract the estimated hours and the actual hours. CUrrently, I have contracts that have no estimated and actual hours, so I do not want to display these contract on the chart, I only want to show those contracts that have data. I do not want to use auto filter to exclude those contracts with zero values. I used the suggestions from the user community and populate zero values with #N/A via a formula when ...

Question about chart vs. pivot table
I need to display some data that I would like to display in a chart and/or table, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. This is the situation. In one row, I have a series of 0's and 1's the represent yes and no. The column for each is a separate entity. Each column is really irrelevant to what I'm trying to figure out other than the total number of columns. What I am trying to chart is what percentage of all of the columns contain a 0 (no) and what percentage contain a 1 (yes). It looks sort of like the below: col 1 col 2 col 3 col...

error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other char
I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart type" with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county what am i doing wrong? Hi, I have not heard of that warning happening sporadically. It only happens when you try to combine charts that will not mix. When you say it sometimes works is that when trying the same mixture on the same ...

Linear time axis on line chart
Hello, I want to have a linear time axis along the bottom of my chart, and to display some values associated with a series of events and to have their position on the axis grouped and spaced by the time that they occured. This means that if I had three things happen at 9:15, 9:30 and 10:00 on monday, then another event at 9:00 on Tuesday, the values for the first three would appear in quite close proximity along the axis, then a fairly large gap before the next one. - does that make sense? I can nearly get what I want with a scatter chart, but some of the events will have one or two o...

Translated Microsoft Dynamics GP and/or Add-on Products
This week I am posting the last couple of articles in Translating Dexterity Applications Series. If you are interested in know how to translate Dexterity applications or just curious about how it can be achieved without any changes to source code, please have a look at: http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2009/02/09/translating-dexterity-applications-series.aspx If you are a developer or partner who has created a translated version of Microsoft Dynamics GP or an add-on product for Microsoft Dynamics GP, please post a comment on the article with the details of what you...

which is the chart name, which contains X, y , z in Excel 2007
In Excel 2003 i was able to use chart under custom tab 1 line 2 columns, i want the same in Excel 2007 Hi, xl2007 does not have Custom chart types. Instead you need to construct your own. Create a column chart based on all data series. Select the series you wish to plot as a line chart. From the ribbon Design > Type > Change chart type, select Line chart. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Ananth" <Ananth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35EFD7D5-23C6-4095-9D70-CF22827876DB@microsoft.com... > In Excel 200...

Points Dimensions on a 3D Clustered Column Chart
Hi, Need some valuable help on this: I' ve got a 3D Clustered column Chart. I'd like to have the coordinates for each point in a particular series. It's like when you move the mouse over any point, it shows you a tip with the value and the name for that point. Well I Need to have control on those coordinates to show a ListBox on top of the chart showing specific information according to the point the mouse is moving on. I've been going through this trying to find any tips but the information i got reffers to a 2D an scatter Charts, with 2 axis. Really appreciated thanks ...

Can I automatically create a daily chart from flat file?
I have some flat file data being generated into a text file daily... is it possible and if so how... can I generate a daily chart within excel basically we want to be able to pull up a webpage with charts so how would I go about doing this? dcibrando@yahoo.com ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I'm not sure how the web page fits in, but if the text file were local, I'd record a macro when I opened it. Do all the Text to column stuff. Add head...

XslCompiledTransform adds xmlns:msxsl attribute to root node #2
Hi all, I use XslCompiledTranform to transform one XML file into another. In my stylesheet I use the msxsl:node-set() function, so I have a namespace import in my stylesheet. After transforming, the root node of my resulting XML file has an attribute xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" Since the resulting XML file is being validated, this unexpected attribute generates an exception. Does anyone know how to prevent this attribute from being generated? Thanks! Joost van den Boom Joost van den Boom wrote: > Does anyone know how to prevent this attribute from bein...

Charting various times. Help!!
Hi there. I currently have a table which I have run a query on that tables like this Date. Target time. Time achieved. Diff. hh/mm/yyyy hh:mm hh:mm n I have worked out how to chart the 'Diff' column as this is in number format. However when I try and throw in the actual times into a chart I get a chart containing values from 0 through to 0.8?? I have set my format as 'short time' in both the query and the table but to no avail. I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer. All I want is a chart with the 't...

Total up range entries for chart
I have the following columns: Job Title, Week, Total People The data looks like this: Job Title Week Total People PM W2 1 Tech Edit W3 5 Net Engineer W2 2 Programmer W12 10 Programmer2 W1 5 PMLVL2 W3 4 ..... I have a named range of week, W1, W2, W3, W4, W5, W6, W6, W8, W8, W10, W11, W12, named "weeks". I'm trying to build a chart to show the total number of people for each week. So I need to total up all the W1s, W2s, etc. to display my chart. So you just want to sum them? =SUM...

How to return a range of values in a drop-down.
Is there a way to have Excel return a range of values in a drop down in one cell based on input from another cell. As an example: Cell A1 has the text "PVC Pipe" I want cell A2 to get input from A1, read through a table, and return the corresponding values (sizes) of PVC pipe. The results in A2 would be the following in a drop down: 4" 6" 8" If cell A1 contained the text "Metal Pipe" it would return values (sizes) of metal pipe from a table and not display the sizes of PVC pipe. 10" 12" 15" The bottom line and...

Two-Column, Two Axes Chart
Hi Folks - I have some totals in this format: Unit Count Sum Marketing 25 300 Accounting 40 400 IT 100 1000 I'd like to make a Two-column, two-axes chart. When I change either Count or Sum series to the secondary axis, the columns become stacked. Is there a way to keep them as separate columns? Thanks. Michael http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ...

Charts
I have information scattered around the spreadsheet. I want to create a column chart with certain information from this speadsheet. I clicked on the chart wizard button, clicked on the column chart and then I clicked on the series tab. I started adding series, typed in the name and clicked on a value of the spreadsheet. What I want is for the names that I typed to appear on the x axis, under each column that they represent. How can I do this?? I've looked for hours!!! Hi, What you need is the X-axis Labels box of the Series tab. However, if your data is spead all over the place ...

Search cell value in more than one workbook
Is there anyway I can serch for a cell value in more than one workbook? I have workbooks that are saved in one folder nad I need to be able to find cell value and determin in which file (or workbook) it appears. Using the find and replace would look only in one workbook. Thank you Hi, I think you need code for this. The code below opens every workbook in a directory and call a sub where you can look for your value Sub LoopThroughDirectory() Application.DisplayAlerts = False 'Change this to your directory MyPath = "C:\" ActiveFile = Dir(MyPath & "*.xls...

Multi Value list box selects all customer
I have this code as a multiValue listbox but everytime i select which customer i want it select them all, can anyone tell me how i can fix's this thanks Dim varitem As Variant Dim strTempItem As String For Each varitem In Me.lstReportFilter.ItemsSelected strTempItem = strTempItem & " [SalesGroupingField]=" & Me.lstReportFilter.ItemData(varitem) & " Or " Next strTempItem = "(" & Left(strTempItem, Len(strTempItem) - 4) & ")" Have you set the MultiSelect to Simple on the list's property box (it's...

Pivot Report/Chart Setting
When producing a Pivot report or chart in Excel XP, currency fields are defaulting to Count rather than Sum, which I got in Excel 97. Does anyone know how to change this default. Thanks I just tried it with a small test. I got Sum. Are you sure you don't have any text or empty cells in that column? I could get Count with either of those in my data. Paul Axelrod wrote: > > When producing a Pivot report or chart in Excel XP, currency fields > are defaulting to Count rather than Sum, which I got in Excel 97. > Does anyone know how to change this default. > Thanks -- D...

Y Axis Values Doubled?
I have been graphing some simple values in a graph with date at the X axis and values for 5 series on Y axis. The values on the Y axis are now double the actual values. When i point at the point on the graph the correct value is there but the Y axis is double. Any ideas? Thanks Hi, Check the chart type used. You may have the stacked version of the chart for some or all series, Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07BA6CCF-1461-4699-884B-85B8D66A17A1@microsoft.com... &g...

Chart Variables
I am using Excel 2003. I'm using "Option Explicit" to force variable declaration. I want to tie the axes of a chart that I have named "MyChart" to worksheet cells. I've been working with the following but continue to get errors: Dim Cht as ChartObject Set Cht = Worksheets("Model").ChartObjects("MyChart").Chart With Cht.Axes(xlValue) .MaximumScale = Sheets("Charts").Range("C7") .MinimumScale = Sheets("Charts").Range("C9") .MajorUnit = Sheets("Charts").Range("C...