Add Trendline to Pivot Table Graph

I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with Month
as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
Pivot Table chart.

I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click for
Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.

How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?
0
MaryAnn (56)

If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make
pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your
trendline.

    Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=553

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
>Month
> as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> Pivot Table chart.
>
> I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> for
> Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
>
> How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/11/2007 12:06:08 AM
Thanks Jon - Disappointing but at least I know!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make
> pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your
> trendline.
>
>     Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts
>     http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=553
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
> >Month
> > as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> > Pivot Table chart.
> >
> > I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> > for
> > Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
> >
> > How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
MaryAnn (56)
3/11/2007 9:32:05 AM
Hi Mary Ann

Is your graph a "stacked" column?  If so, change it to a different style (eg
clustered column) and you should get what you are looking for.
--

Regards

William

XL2003

willwest22@yahoo.com

"Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
Month
| as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
| Pivot Table chart.
|
| I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
for
| Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
|
| How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
willwest22 (109)
3/11/2007 11:24:59 AM
Fantastic – even though the chart doesn’t look like a stacked column, because
I just have one column for each month, in fact as far as Excel is concerned I
can now see that that is what it is.  Thank you.

"William" wrote:

> Hi Mary Ann
>
> Is your graph a "stacked" column?  If so, change it to a different style (eg
> clustered column) and you should get what you are looking for.
> --
>
> Regards
>
> William
>
> XL2003
>
> willwest22@yahoo.com
>

> "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
> Month
> | as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> | Pivot Table chart.
> |
> | I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> for
> | Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
> |
> | How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
MaryAnn (56)

convert sql tables with parent-child keys of a nested structure into a nested xml file
I have 5 tables in SQL Server. Each with the following design and a sample chain of the relationships from the root (WRL - World) UUS is the 'Code' of the first table and it is the 'Parent' value of the second table, etc. Parent varchar 3 Name varchar 60 Code varchar 3 WRL United States UUS <- UUS California UCA <- UCA North Coast UNC <- UNC Sonoma County USO <- USO Russian River Valley URR If I have 6 tables with these relationships from root to these vineyard appellation locations, how could I convert this nested, hiearchical data from SQL Server tables into...

Ytd Calculation In Pivot
Hello everybody. I am trying to simplifie a report, comparing sales and number o customers for 2 years, refreshing it every week (52 weeks per year). I tried to do it using a pivot and i have the following problem: If i add a calculated field, adding week 1+week 2+...+current wee (having in mind to add every week the running one), excel does not le me add more than 25 weeks because it can handle a specific number o characters in the calculated field, Does anyone has an idea how I can overcome this stupid thing? Any other suggstion would be greatly appreciated -- Message posted from http://ww...

How do upgrade Home & Student to add the Visio I bought ?
Hi, I just bought a new Sony laptop loaded with vista, also: 'Office Home and Student 2007' (which loaded fine) and 'Office Visio Standard 2007'. Unfortunately the Visio won't load - I need to have an earlier version already loaded according to the error msg. Please advise how I should resolve. If I need additional software, what do I need and where should I purchase it ? Thanks Peter (in Twickenham, UK). It sounds like you purchased an upgrade (v2007 standard) without a qualifying product already installed. You might check with who you purchased it from to see...

Combining 2 pivot tables
Hi, I have two pivot tables, and I would like to consolidate the data into one. Both tables are linked to the same source, and have identical data formats. However the final row for each table has a different name. Any ideas how I can get this data into a single pivot table? Thanks, RA What's in the final row of each table? RestlessAde wrote: > Hi, > > I have two pivot tables, and I would like to consolidate the data into one. > Both tables are linked to the same source, and have identical data formats. > However the final row for each table has a different name....

How do I do a cumulative frequency graph?
I have a large amount of data (60k lines) and want to display a cumulative frequency of the data. Example... chart starts @ 0,0 and end at $1.00 (x) and 100% (y). It will visually show at any given x value (between 0 and 1.00) the cumulative % of the time that value (and below) comes up. (.50 and below is 40% of the data). I have played with histograms, but that just shows the frequency of 1 x value. I need this to be cumulative for that x value and all values lower than it. Any ideas? Ted, I think you can use the COUNTIF function: =COUNTIF(x,"<=x") where x is the x val...

How to get intermediate values from smooth graph in Excel ?
For example: x y 1 5.5 2 8.5 3 10.5 4 11.5 For x=1.56, what will be the corresponding value of y from drawn graph ? Check this post in the archives: http://www.mcse.ms/archive144-2004-1-346324.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Tushar" <Tushar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9441A8E6-7307-4105-B5F9-CBCFC11E93DF@microsoft.com... > For example: > x y > 1 5.5 > 2 8.5 > 3 10.5 > 4 11.5 > For x=1.56, wh...

having trouble with graphs
I need to make a graph showing quarterly totals for a spread sheet of income for one year. How do i type in the formula that will show the 4 values. Thanks. You could create a pivot table to summarize the data, group the dates by Quarters, and create a chart from the pivot table results. There are instructions for pivot tables in Excel's Help, and Jon Peltier has information and links: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm There are instructions here for grouping the data: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html Davko wrote: > I need to make a graph ...

[SS 2000] Mirroring of only 1 table
Hi, in SQL Server 2000, is it possible to mirror just one table? Or only several tables of the database. Thanks in advance. Luigi Database Mirroring is at the database level. You can achiever higher granularity using Replication (assuming that feature suits you, of course). -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi "Luigi" <Luigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48897F0C-24C9-4894-8E27-DD84B7E31982@microsoft.com... > Hi, > in SQL Server 2000, is it p...

x-axis labels on a pivot chart
I have a chart based on a pivot table that uses two measures on the x-axis, however when I try to align x-axis labels to show vertically it only aligns the first measures label, leaving the 2nd label still on the horizontal. Is there any way of re-aligning the label for the 2nd measure? Thanks Martin. Martin, I confess, I have very little experience with charts based upon a pivot table. However, you should be able to manually change the position of a data label... by first selecting the label, then clicking it again. That selects a single label and you can drag it to a new position. ...

Can you add a user-defined field to the new task dialog box?
Hi All: I use a custom arrangement to view my tasks in which I have a field called "No." (for number). I use it to order the tasks each day. That works fine. However, when I double click a task or if I start a new task with the shortcut key "Ctrl+Shift+K" (or Ctrl+N), a dialog box opens. This standard dialog box for an untitled task doesn't contain a field for my "No.". Is there a way I can modify that dialog box to add a number field that would show up in my custom arrangement under the "No." field? i.e. basically, I want to ad...

Pivot table drop down issue
I have Excel 2003. My pivot table drop down boxes do not display the OK or Cancel buttons. The buttons are there. I can click in the appropriate area to take the action. Just can't see a button. Has anyone else had this problem? Any known fixes? Thanks much. slb ...

Open Table Descriptions without closing Table Names
Currently if you open the Table Descriptions window from the Table Names window, the Table Names window closes. You can reopen the Table Name window by clicking on the lookup button, but all of the selections are back to the defaults. Please change to allow the Table Descriptions window to open without closing the Table Names window. Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow th...

can i add roles to pos rights
I would like to create an additional role to the predefined roles. I need to lockdown cashiers more than the cashier role that is defined. I want ensure that cashiers can not perform, voids, z reports, returns, customer add and updates. You can do all these already. - in cashier profile you set the limitation on Z and voids [ force reversal of items ] - set reason codes and make them mandatory - based on the security level in POS using security allow certain options like add customer, update customer to be only available for users above a ceratin security level - for returns ma...

Stacked column graph #2
How do I add a data series as a line on a stacked column graph? Add the series (as another column on the stack), select it, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and choose a line type. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Clare" <Clare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE979294-7D6C-4B20-B0F5-FA800D4C1046@microsoft.com... > How do I add a data series as a line on a stacked column graph? I had the same question - but when I tried your suggestion ...

Memory Table vs. CTE
I had posted a week or so ago about a performance issue with Null-able variables being passed into stored procedures and the performance gains by setting those parameters to local variables declared in the stored procedure. I followed that advice and all was well. How ever, the stored procedure started to time out the again, running the stored proc on my local SQL server would take 3:45 to return 5 rows. Something was wrong. The stored procedure was using 4 CTE tables, one of those tables being referenced in 5 different locations through-out the stored proc. The only change I made t...

Accessing a Third Party temp Table
Hi all, I am customizing a third party product, on the third party window pre event I opened a custom window and on the activate event of third party window I closed the same (Third party window) but the form is active. These things are working fine but the issue is when I try to save record from custom window to temp table attached to the third party window, an another temp table with different physical name is created and get saved, not to the table attached to the third party window. Whether it's possible to save the record to the table that attached to the third party w...

Report Graphs
Just Wondering if some would Help me out on how about i go Creating a Graph Report, Which Shows The Date Searched Between. I Have Created a Graph Report, On a User, On How Much They Have Priced On Tenders Between a Certain Date. The Report Is Based On a Query Which is Based of the Project Table, and in the submitted Date Field on the Table i Have The Criteria >=[Forms]![Submitted_Date_Dialog_Graph]![Start] And <=[Forms]![Submitted_Date_Dialog_Graph]![End] So When Some Types In The Dates Is Show all Records As a Graph, The Graph have the Two Following Fields [Estimator] and [Tende...

How to use database table as an Outlook Contact List?
We have an existing database which we work with and maintain daily. It contains email addresses. Is there a simple way for Outlook to use it as an address book while allowing us to continue using the database normally? I found a tool that can make an Outlook Contact List available as a Database Table, but I need to make a Database Table available as an Outlook Contact List. Thank you for your suggestions. ...

how to add only positive number
hi i have a column which has positive as well as negative number but would like to add only positive number, how do i, please let me kno -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try =SUMIF(A1:A100,">0") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > hi > i have a column which has positive as well as negative number but i > would like to add only positive number, how do i, > please let me know > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Multi currency exchange table issue
We have two companies using the same Exchange Table ID yet in the 'available rate type' one company shows buy/sell/average as the choices..the other company only shows buy/sell no average. How is this possible if they are both using the same Exchange Table ID? Michael, What rate type each company has access to is set on the Select Multicurrency Rate Types window (Tools > Setup > Financial > Rate Types). -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com "Michael...

Graph from a PIVOT table: update not working. Please Help!
Hello everyone ! I have an question for experts : I am trying to create a tool to allow users to see 1 graph the result of a table: let me explain the problem: the table is a PIVOT table. So when I change the PIVOT table (= it adds different data in a range of cell determined) It seems working very well for the first graph (the graph is doen wih the good data). But when I update the pivot table the graph doesn’t make any changes (it keeps old first data). I have to redefine the source data manually (the data series are good but the selection is not working!!) . Do you know a way to solv...

How can I add my own letter head to stationery themes
Just started using Outlook 2007 and want to create stationery for several different areas of my business, i.e. Printing, Flyball, Personal, etc. Anyone know how I can do that. I know it used to be possible on previous versions but its so long since I did it I simply can't remember. Thanks You can do it one of two ways - design it in outlook and save as a template or publish to a folder in outlook. You can copy the templates to a folder within outlook for easy access - published forms are listed on the Actions menu when looking at the folder they are published in. Or c...

Filtering pivot tables
Hi, I have a pivot table that draws info from an SQL database, I would like to be able to specify the month that is displayed on the pivot by reference to a cell on the same tab. In other words can I influence the boxes that are ticked within the drop down filters for the pivot table. In other, other words, if the data contains sales over a period of months can I default the 'Month' field to be current month without disabling the ability to change the selection in order to show any/ all months. Is it possible in VBA to specify the filtering of a pivot table? Daz U�ytkown...

add microsoft publisher to existing version of microsoft office
New notebook computer came with Microsoft Office Student and Teacher edition pre-installed. However, I want to add Microsoft Publisher. Is this possible and how? Buy Publisher, then install it. "SANDYB" <SANDYB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1052B38-B9CF-4549-861F-A8768095D585@microsoft.com... | New notebook computer came with Microsoft Office Student and Teacher edition | pre-installed. However, I want to add Microsoft Publisher. Is this possible | and how? ...

How do I add up texts as fixed number values in a row?
I'm creating a row with drop-down lists with text.I want to create a simple drop-down list with yes and no. Yes would have a background (unseen) value of 1and no would have a value of 0. After items were selected from the drop-down list, I want the unseen value totaled to the far right of the page. I found the following formula which works for columns, but when I try to change the cell range to a row of cells, I get "#N/A". =SUMPRODUCT((C3:C23={"Yes","No"})*({1,0})) Thanks for any assistance. Since "No" has a value of 0 includ...