Add Trendline to Pivot Table Graph

I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with Month
as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
Pivot Table chart.

I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click for
Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.

How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?
0
MaryAnn (56)

If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make
pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your
trendline.

    Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=553

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
>Month
> as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> Pivot Table chart.
>
> I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> for
> Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
>
> How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
3/11/2007 12:06:08 AM
Thanks Jon - Disappointing but at least I know!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If Add Trendline is disabled with a pivot chart (I don't know, I rarely make
> pivot charts), you could plot the data in a regular chart, then add your
> trendline.
>
>     Pivot Tables, Pivot Charts, and Real Charts
>     http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=553
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
> >Month
> > as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> > Pivot Table chart.
> >
> > I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> > for
> > Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
> >
> > How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
MaryAnn (56)
3/11/2007 9:32:05 AM
Hi Mary Ann

Is your graph a "stacked" column?  If so, change it to a different style (eg
clustered column) and you should get what you are looking for.
--

Regards

William

XL2003

willwest22@yahoo.com

"Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
Month
| as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
| Pivot Table chart.
|
| I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
for
| Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
|
| How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
willwest22 (109)
3/11/2007 11:24:59 AM
Fantastic – even though the chart doesn’t look like a stacked column, because
I just have one column for each month, in fact as far as Excel is concerned I
can now see that that is what it is.  Thank you.

"William" wrote:

> Hi Mary Ann
>
> Is your graph a "stacked" column?  If so, change it to a different style (eg
> clustered column) and you should get what you are looking for.
> --
>
> Regards
>
> William
>
> XL2003
>
> willwest22@yahoo.com
>

> "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have a list of survey responses and I have created a Pivot Table with
> Month
> | as the Row Heading and Count of Respondent as Data.  I have then created a
> | Pivot Table chart.
> |
> | I want to show a trendline but when I select the columns and right click
> for
> | Trendline, as I would normally, the option is greyed out.
> |
> | How do I create a trendline for the pivot table category columns?

0
MaryAnn (56)

How to add a line to a stock chart
I have got a chart of stock as Open, High, Low , Close. Now I want to add a line like a trendline to the chart where the data is calculated in a separate column at the side of the previous data. Is it possible to do this in Excel? The trendline that I want to add is not possible to draw with the features already available in Excel 2003. Add the new series by right-clicking on the graph and selecting souce data. Then select this new series in the graph and click on format series again by right-clicking. Select patterns and select the 'automatic' for the line (which will be 'n...

insert data into table
Hi There, I'm using following code to insert data into my DB but it doesn't work: try { int tmp = 0; tmp = this.routeTableAdapter1.InsertRoute(Int32.Parse(this.DestNum.Text), this.Destination.Text, Int32.Parse(this.LineNum.Text)); MessageBox.Show("inserted " + tmp.ToString() + " elements into the route table."); MessageBox.Show("Update() returns: " + routeTableAdapter1.Update(myPID_DB_DataSet).ToString()); myPID_DB_DataSet.AcceptChanges();...

MBS 9.0 table changes
Does anyone know if there have been changes to MBS 9.0 Payroll and HR tables? Thank you. Hi Robert Yes, there have been changes to both HR and US Payroll tables. Please look in the SDK (Software Developers Kit) for details. The SDK can be installed from the Tools\SDK folder of CD 2 of the Microsoft Dynamics GP install CDs. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not...

Adding tables from MS Word document
I had someone send me a article we're using in a newsletter that has a table. The article is done in MS Word. How can I easily add the document and keep the table looking the same as it does in the MS Word doc?? Did you try copy and paste? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uTfwiw8SIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I had someone send me a article we're using in a newsletter that has a >table. The article is done i...

add a colum within 5 spaces of a column
i would like to insert a colum within 5 rows of a column. how do i do this? thank you. You can't split cells. However, you could merge two columns for all cells except your 5 rows (i.e., select columns B & C, merge them, select your (now) 5 cells, and unmerge them). However, merging is the spawn of the devil. It leads to problems with sorting, formatting, copy/paste, etc. In article <B844F382-3A5E-4EFB-810D-15BB840C5228@microsoft.com>, "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i would like to insert a colum within 5 rows of a column. > how d...

Help with updating tables in many-to-many relationship
Hi, I am working on a database that contains a many-to many relationship. I created an intermediate (linked) table between the two primary tables. I have a Form1 that displays the info from Table1 and a control to open a Form2 that displays records from Table2 that match the Table1 record. Everything works great for displaying and editing information on Form2 except for when I try to add records. I don't seem to have the right code to update the Linked Table. Does anyone have some sample code that works? My tables include the following: Table1 Table2 ...

How do I add decimals to crosstabs in Access?
The decimal places are dropped off of the query when I run a crosstab query in Access 2007. I tried editing the properties in design view and it's not working. Ted, If you are talking about decimal places being replaced in column headers with an underscore, I think you are out of luck. I have never found a way to do this, and have tried replacing the numeric values with strings. Access Help (search on "field name constraints") says: Names of fields, controls, and objects in Microsoft Access: - Can be up to 64 characters long. - Can include any combination of letters, ...

Resize the Data table in the Pivot chart.
I have a prepared a chart where there are count of 15-20 items displayed in the chart and I have also shown the data table for the same. But the data table do not fit in all teh 15-20 items. Could some one help in with a method where I can fit all the data in the data table along with the chart. Earliest help much appreciate. Regars GS Hi, You have very little control of data tables - your only solutions are to make the font size smaller, and to enlarge the entire chart. I recommend you place the equivalent of a data table below the chart, in the spreadsheet, where you have 100% contro...

Populating tables
I am creating an engineering database to track drawing changes. I have several tables that should link by an "ECN" number. I am trying to create an input form where on the main form I enter a new ECN, a date and an Originator. In the sub form I want to populate the part numbers descriptions revioion letters and drawing numbers ( this is in separate tables). Am having trouble geting this to work. Can anyone offer guidance? Thanx Tom ...

pivot table filters
Hi, I have a pivot table and i would like to clear the filters because everytime new data comes into the pivot table, in the filter is displayed results from previous data in the pivot table. I have tried to 'clear filters' but this doesn't seem to work, is there another way? thanks Hi Take a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html -- Regards Roger Govier "Dal" <Dal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3740113F-223B-4594-ACD9-54AA9E6A1A8E@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have a pivot table and i would like to clear the filters b...

Changing Graph Data Series
I have about 12 graphs each with 4 data sets that I have to change the data set range on each month to display the next months data as it is accumulated through the month. This is a very time consuming task. Is there a way to set the data range to key off of a formula (using current month and a vlookup for example) or off of a range supplied from key input cells? Ultimately I would like to be able to specify a data range (from jan1 through Dec 31) and have the graph update the data series for the range and display. But for now I'll settle on a faster method to change the data range each...

searching multiple tables
I have a access database i have programmed and used for years. I have divided it up to have company data for each year. So each year has a MDB file with data table, multiple search queries, and a interface to click on particular queries. The data base has first name, last name,tracking number, date, and item description. I the past, i have just clicked on this years file and could search that year. What i tried to do was move data tables from past years into a new MDB file and put in a new search quires. Some of the names may be the same as does the item type. The tracking ...

receiving error "id" is not an index in this table error 3800.
When trying to access a table in a exsisting database, I get a error box stating "id is not an index in this table. Accessing the help button for this error. The statement of Error 3800 is displayed. Does anyone know how to clear this up? Is it a failure with Access or the state of the database? EveryCreatureCounts wrote: >When trying to access a table in a exsisting database, I get a error box >stating "id is not an index in this table. Accessing the help button for >this error. The statement of Error 3800 is displayed. Does anyone know how to >clear thi...

Writing user friendly error message in Access for specific SQL Server table error
Hello, I have several forms using data stored in SQL Server tables. When a user enters duplicate information, I get the Access error message that says (correctly) "The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values...etc.". I would like this message to say "The contact information you entered already exists. Please choose this contact from the contact list and add or modify information as needed." I am not using OnError to do this because if there is another problem that causes an error message to occur, I don...

How do I change column widths within idividual tables on the same.
I'm using xl 2000. I want to place several tables on the same worksheet. Is it possible to change column widths of a table without affecting the column width of the other tables. Hi! If the tables are one on top of the other, no. Both column width and row height are constant for the entire column or row. A possible workaround would be to merge cells but that has disadvantages. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I'm using xl 2000. I want to place several tables on the same worksheet. Is >it possible to change column widths of a table without affecting the column...

Football leagueprediction table in excel
Every year my work colleagues and I do a Premier league football prediction game, in that you have to predict the final league table i.e Arsenal 1st, Chelsea 2nd etc Points are awarded for how accurate peoples predictions are i.e 5 points for spot on, 4 points for one away, 3 points for 2 away etc. I've been doing the calculations by hand but it's a time consuming business. How would it be done on excel? I assume that you have to assign values to the actual league Arsenal=1, Chelsea=2 etc and values to the forecast then do a sum of the differences, but how? TIA Dave Lester ...

Data table without graoh details
hi I am using a 100% stacked column graph to show the details of % late against % on-time delivered, for each week. To obtain these figures I had the, total delivered and late delivered volumes and did the necessary sums. Q. how do I show the late and delivered volumes as well as the precentages in the Data Table below the chart, but only show the required 100% stack chart for % late against % on-time Help appricaiated Regards Brian -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-chart/200806/1 You could format the unwanted series so as to hide them ...

Pivot Table (Running averages)
Using a pivot table I need to create a running average of values for the last 10 days. It's easy to display the averages for each day and filter off everything but the last 10 days BUT... I can't get a running average working. The goal is to develop a dynamic graph/chart that shows the average with a trend line for the running average to see if things are improving. There is a built in function for running totals but I need the average of the previous numbers not the totals. I am somewhat familiar with calculated fields but am not smart enough to pull it all together to make th...

Default Weight in Pivot Table Charts keeps getting reset
Hi, I have created a Pivot Table chart and I am using basic line chart to display the data...I would like to make the line weight 2 points heavier than the standard but each time I select new values from the Pivot Table chart it resets to the default....where do you set this to remain at the values entered... Any help appreciated.... Scott ...

Pivot Table Error...Help!
Hi, I have created numerous pivot tables in my workbook. The refres function was working fine. A couple fo days have passed and now when go to refresh the tables i get the attached error. does anyone know how to fix this? thanks +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: pivot.jpg |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=2677 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- molavi11 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mo...

cannot open a table by todays date
Hi Can anyone point me in the right direction here, I would like to open a table in access 2003 by date. I have an asp web page which needs to read data from a table with each days today's date (which ever day that is) then a new table is created with today's date. Example: I have a table called 17-may-2007 my ASP page reads this table for 24hours then tomorrow (12:00 midnight 18th) I will have a new table called 18-may-2007 and the old table is left behind (As 17-may-2007) so I need my sql statement to automatically open table by today's date. This is what I have so far but it...

where is the install for default text box add-in
Maybe you mean Default Text Box v1.0.0.3 http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/add-ins Normal.pub? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lpyburn" <lpyburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:692EA943-DB76-474F-B4C4-CA0222EBA04D@microsoft.com... > ...

looking for a template of bell curve graph
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "darrich" <darrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4465F7C1-22CB-4D4D-8344-6C5C0B33AC72@microsoft.com... > I have the percentages for a bell curve; I just want to plug in the percentages with a professional-looking bell curve model. I am a graduate student assisting a professor with his Power Point lectures and I am having a difficult time making a bell curve that would look professional. darric wrote: looking for a template of bell curv...

Hiding one subtotal in a pivot table
Is it possible to hide just one of the subtotals in a pivot table? I want to see the subtotals for my Number of customers, Quantity, and Amount. But I do not need to see the subtotal for the % column I have, as it is always 100%. If not I can always fill in that one row and use it as a way to break apart the shop sections of the pivot table. Mark, You should be able to double click on the name/label of each item which is usually in grey, then there are radio buttons with choices for subtotals or not for that item. Barbara "MarkM" <MarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Pivot Table
Hi Everyone, I just discover that I can use Pivot Table in Excel to help me manage me data easier in a table view format. However, since I'm new with this feature in Excel, I'm having a few questions: 1. I notice that Pivot Table doesn't allow me to delete the data directly in Pivot Table, but it does allow me to make changes to the data. I thing is I presume that Excel will make that changes that I made in Pivot Table to the original data sheet, but as I found out Excel doesn't do that. and I can't reverse the changes that I made in Pivot Table to the orig...