A question regarding coordinates of points within a chart

Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.

Wazooli
0
Wazooli (46)

Wazooli,

Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . .

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

then, take a look at this post . . .

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/comment/635/

Referencing Jon's article, I think you will need to add the xlDataLabel
element to the event as described in the comments at pdbook.com.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Wazooli" wrote:

> Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
> accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
> coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
> on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
> I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
> contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.
>
> Wazooli
John - thanks for the response.  The only problem is my chart is embedded in
a worksheet, so I guess I will have to use a class module to setup my event
procedures.

"John Mansfield" wrote:

> Wazooli,
>
> Take a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events . . .
>
> http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221
>
> then, take a look at this post . . .
>
> http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/comment/635/
>
> Referencing Jon's article, I think you will need to add the xlDataLabel
> element to the event as described in the comments at pdbook.com.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ----------------------------
> Regards,
> John Mansfield
> http://www.pdbook.com
>

> "Wazooli" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone explain how x-y coordinates for points within a chart can be
> > accessed via a mousemove event?  I realize this will require quite a bit of
> > coding, but I would like a little comment box to appear for any given point
> > on an X-Y scatter I have.  The data set consists of around 27000 points, and
> > I would like the mousemove event to trigger a lookup into a table that
> > contains a fairly lengthy descripion of each point.
> >
> > Wazooli
0
Wazooli (46)
5/10/2005 5:04:04 PM
Wazooli -

That exercise is worked out for you in this zipped workbook:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Zips/GetXYonAnyChart.zip

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP