xml/xsl to create msbuild files........MSB4097......and an xsl workarounds(??)

<!--  The xml in question         -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!--          -->

The backstory of this post is here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/96102/msbuild-does-not-accept-valid-child-nodes-that-contain-the-xmlns-namespace-attribute-even-if-its-the-correct-one

Basically, there are some msbuild/xml issues.
The wonderful error you get is:
error MSB4097: The element <Target> beneath element <Project> may not have a
custom XML namespace.

There are some suggestions at the site.
One is "write out the xml/reload it, then add elements".
The other one is "use the msbuild object library".
Neither is especially desirable.

I only recently found the issue at the connect.microsoft.com site......I put
in some heavy work creating some lightweight xml and then an xsl transform
sheet to create my msbuild project file.
Aka, I just did alot a work before I hit this monkey wrench.  :<

At the top of this post ......there is the (resultant xml from my transform)
is currently what I'm stuck with.

The issue are these orphaned
xmlns=""
values.

Because of the bug......(outlined in the URL above)...

you cannot have this xml (below is a copy from the xml above):
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped" xmlns="">

AND you cannot do this:
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapped"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

The end result has to be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">  <!-- Emphasis here because there is no
xmlns value -->
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

==============

Here is a very basic (and does-not-do-anything-interesting) example of some
xml and xsl which creates the issue:

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL-->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
version="2.0">
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
    <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
      <xsl:call-template name="CreateTargetsTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
      <!-- -->
    </Project>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateTargetsTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget">
      <xsl:element name="Target">
        <xsl:attribute name="Name">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:element name="Message">
          <xsl:attribute name="Text">You just called the Target named
'<xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />'</xsl:attribute>
        </xsl:element>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

<!-- START DESIRED RESULT -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2"  />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3"  />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END DESIRED RESULT -->

<!-- START RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3" xmlns="" />
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END RESULT1 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

<!-- START RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

[...]

<!-- END RESULT2 THAT DOES NOT WORK -->

If you want to see this issue "in action"........then take the xml and xsl
above (the slimmed down version xml/xsl pair I have above)
Transform it, and put the resultant xml in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml"

Create a .bat file
And put this in the .bat file

<!-- START BAT FILE -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueTransformOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE -->

You will see that you get MSBuild issues unless the xml is like "START
DESIRED RESULT" format above.

Any hope for this one?  I've read the suggestions at connect.microsoft.com
and it just undermines my efforts I just put in.

Even if I have to perform two transformations, that is an option...........
I'm "ok" (skill-wise) with xsl, but thought I would post this issue to
people alot better at xsl than I am.

And I appreciate you looking, but comments along the lines of
"You don't have to use <xsl:element></xsl:element> , you can write it
shorter using ______________" are especially helpful on this one.
I'll rework the xsl to be trimmer if I find a workaround...I promise!

The engines I have available are.

DotNet Xml/Xsl Libraries, 3.5 Framework.
Saxon (in a pinch that is) ("C:\Program
Files\MSBuild\SaxonHE\bin\Transform.exe")
MSXML2.DOMDocument.6.0

Thanks for any help.

I'm probably gonna document some of this over on the connect.microsoft.com
site as well.......since I went to trouble of creating some samples.

0
sloan5710 (6)

sloan wrote:

> version="2.0">

You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use

<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">

instead of what you have above.

And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

THANK YOU, it works just as you said.

I'm posting my basic-setup scenario xml and xsl so future googlers
(errrr......bingers) will find a basic and working example.

Again, thank you very much.

<!-- START XML -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
  <demoTargets>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>AllTargetsWrapper</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target1</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target2</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
    <demoTarget>
      <targetName>Target3</targetName>
    </demoTarget>
  </demoTargets>
</root>

<!-- END XML -->

<!-- START XSL THAT WORKS VIA INSTRUCTIONS IN PREVIOUS POST  -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
   version="2.0">
<!--  <xsl:strip-space elements="*" />  -->
  <xsl:output method="xml" />
  <xsl:variable name="AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
    <xsl:value-of select="'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <!-- -->
[...]
        <xsl:if test="targetName = $AllTargetsWrapperConstant">
          <xsl:comment> The above special target name will call all targets
</xsl:comment>
          <xsl:call-template
name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate"></xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:if>
      </xsl:element>
      <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
   <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
  <xsl:template name="CreateAllTargetsSpecialTemplate">
    <!-- -->
    <xsl:for-each select="//root/demoTargets/demoTarget[targetName !=
$AllTargetsWrapperConstant]">
      <xsl:element name="CallTarget">
        <xsl:attribute name="Targets">
          <xsl:value-of select="./targetName" />
        </xsl:attribute>
      </xsl:element>
     <xsl:comment>  -- </xsl:comment>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <!-- -->
  </xsl:template>
  <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- END XSL-->

=============================

<!-- START BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->
<!-- Note, the output from above should be persisted in a file called
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" -->

@echo off
ECHO     Demonstrate MSBuild create Own Xml Issue:
ECHO .

@echo on

REM set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
set msBuildDir=%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

call %msBuildDir%\msbuild /target:AllTargetsWrapper
"MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml" /p:Configuration=Release
/l:FileLogger,Microsoft.Build.Engine;logfile=MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.log

set msBuildDir=

<!-- END BAT FILE WHICH CALLS OUTPUT FROM ABOVE-->

<!-- START Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the
xml/xsl transformation above)(Just to show what I got and that Martin's
advice was spot-on -->

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="AllTargetsWrapper">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'AllTargetsWrapper'" />
    <!-- The above special target name will call all targets -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target1" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target2" />
    <!--  - - -->
    <CallTarget Targets="Target3" />
    <!--  - - -->
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target1">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target1'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target2">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target2'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <Target Name="Target3">
    <Message Text="You just called the Target named 'Target3'" />
  </Target>
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
  <!--  - - -->
</Project>

<!-- END Contents of MSBuildXmlIssueOutput.xml (after performing the xml/xsl
transformation above) -->

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> sloan wrote:
>
>> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>> version="2.0">
>
> You simply need to put your namespace declaration on the xsl:stylesheet
> element, that way it applies to all literal result elements so use
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>   xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>   xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"
>   version="2.0">
>
> instead of what you have above.
>
> And then you can drop the namespace declaration below:
>

>>   <xsl:template match="/">
>>     <!-- -->
>>     <Project DefaultTargets="AllTargetsWrapper"
>> xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

0
sloan5710 (6)

publisher did not recognize my files
after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "bosshossmotorcycle" <bosshossmotorcycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA4DEA42-9ED4-4E5A-8BA0-F0D724EFCA90@microsoft.com... > after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications ...

Corrupted Personal.xls file in Excel 97 ??
Oops! This is a correction to the subject of my previous posting. Please excuse me. =========================================================== I am using Excel 97. As of a few days ago, every time I start Excel I get a dialogue box that says "Personal.xls is being modified by Milt" (that's me) and giving me three choices: (1) Open the Personal.xls as a Read Only file, (2) Notify me when it becomes available, (3) Cancel. No matter which choice I take, the same dialogue box appears the next time I start Excel. The only way I have found to stop getting that dialogue b...

XML Deserialization
Hello Guys, I have tried to use the xsd.exe tool to generate a class for the following Oracle-generated xml sample but always fail to get it right when I try to change oracle xml elements names to the class's names, specifically I'm not sure how to do it for the ROWSET and ROW part of it. Being very new to the serialization/deserialization business I'm sure this is very easy to implement for someone with a bit of more knowledge of it, can some help me please. I have created 2 classes for for Department and Employee: [XmlRoot("ROWSET")] class Dep...

Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.
I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets. When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3 file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be around to do that always) Does anyone know how to resolve this. Thanks Naz ...

creating tmp files
Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp files. Thanks Chandra You cant "chandrak@futaiusa.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9a9701c4343c$e2f2c6a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... : Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp : file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp : files. : Thanks : Chandra But accoding to documents on excel if the file is saved without error messages it renames the temp file with xls why do I still see the xls and tmp fi...

how to create button commande to refresh data in query in excel 2.
I have a excel spreedsheet that contain external data. I would like to put a button in the excel sheet to update the sheet without doing right click and refresh. My user here are very dummies. Jean Francois If this is external data then bringing it in should launch the external data toolbar. They will only need to click the exclamation (!) mark. Seems like re-inventing the wheel. If you must then put a button on the worksheet and assign it to this macro Sub refreshdata() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim qryTab As QueryTable Set wks = ActiveSheet For Each qryTab In wks.QueryTables qryTab.Refr...

Need help saving a file!
Well let me start off by saying that I feel lost using the Office 97 programs! I had to make a new resume so I got myself a template off of the site here. It opened up in publisher so that's where I created my resume. I've put a lot of time into it and now realize that I think I made a huge mistake! How the heck do I save it as a more "acceptable" file without screwing up the format??? (for uploading as an attachment) Or is that just not possible? I've tried saving it as a word document, but like I said, screws up the whole format. I'm really lost, don...

Sending files from Vista
Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with Outlook instead of Windows Mail. What settings do I have to change to get windows mail to do all my mail sending in this manner? "Stumped" <Stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C240124-48D3-4EAB-B63B-8A0B20505905@microsoft.com... > Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or > picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with > Outlook >...

How stop duplicate fields when creating a Report in Access?
no metter what method I use to create the report - it throws double fields into the report. You manually delete one of each and proceed and it continues to add double fields. We did not have this issue in 2003 version. WHat is the problem and how do we fix it? Are you talking about the record source (a query) for the report listing fields twice? If so, check the underlying query and see if it has an asterisk (return all fields) in SELECT clause of the query. It is a property of queries in design view (Output all fields). Set this to No to eliminate the fields showing ...

File Formate
I have five Excel files which contain the records of my previous 4 years Business matters. Suddenly yesterday when I opned one of my files I received the following messege. --------------------------------------- The file is not in recognizable formate. if you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Excel, click Cancel, then open the file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the file is damaged, click help for more information about...

Inbox- Missing files/folders
This is the second time this has happened, I wonder if anyone can help. > Without any warning all the files and sub folders under my Inbox in Outlook > Express disappear totally but files in the Sent, Outbox, Deleted folders etc are all okay. Can > anyone tell me where they went and how to get them back. > Cheers. Hello, Please take a look at the following article. 321505 OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321505 If you check inbox.dbx file and there is no content of previous mail items, then there is n...

File size limits and workarounds?
Hi All, I've run into the 2 gig file size limit on Outlook 2000 a couple times now. Is there a way to clean the files so I can avoid this in the future? The way I fixed things is that I deleted stuff, then made a new pst file and copied all the folders over to the new file. I went from just over 2gig to 1.3 gigs. I've done this once before I think, so I know I'll hit it again. Just wondering how to avoid all this. Thanks, me Maybe use the Archive options? But remember an archive has the same size limitation, so at some point you would need to create a new Archive fil...

Can't delete file in Outlook express outbox
I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can' delete it -- PhoenixVP ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PhoenixVPC's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=468 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187101402 PhoenixVPC, you wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:46:14 -0500: > I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can't > delete it. Close Outlook Express and search for the file "Outbox.dbx" on your system. Delete it an restart OE. Best Regards Christian Goeller -...

Create entities in c#
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to create new entities (like activities here) in an aspx page in c# called from a crm button (a web service would apparently be too slow for my purpose here). I've been looking and found out about some Microsoft.crm packae which I can't seem to be able to find. Any ideas? Thanks So you want to create a custom aspx page (w/ c# code behind) and when the user clicks a button it creates an Activity for example? You're going to have to use the Crm 3.0 Web Service. Unless you know enough about the CRM DB to do straight TSQL inserts which you...

Having some problems saving excel files
I had a Excel file that was worked on using a Office XP machine, and know it is back on my Mac. Know everytime I save I keep on getting this message everytime using Office 98 for Mac. "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save this file using Microsoft excel 98, information created with features in the later version may be lost." I have tried the following. 1) Saving as a new file and renaming it 2) Saving as Excel 5.x, and then back to Excel 98 3) deleting the Cell comments that I created in Excel XP, and redoing them in Excel 98 Thank...

Importing CSV files into excel
Just a suggestion, but I don't see where anyone would ever want their imported data changed by default. How about having CSV files import to format TEXT by default and letting the user decide if he wants to make changes instead of making changes that cannot be undone by default. (the "general" formatting that changed all your numbers around) I've given up on using Excel to look at my data files that contain numbers, instead using wordpad and 3rd party freeware to edit data. Minutes instead of seconds to import a file that has dozens of columns of fixed width - lead...

Problem with Executable File generated using Debug Build
Hi All, I am facing a really wierd problem. I am working on a project in which I have implemeted a GUI for controlling laser microscopes. Everything was going fine till I added support for Filter Wheels. The program compiles perfectly fine. Runs perfectly fine if I run it using Microsoft Visual Studios. But When I try to run the program by double clicking on its icon in the debug folder, the program shows that main frame and then hangs. The problem was not there before I added the code for filter wheels. I am placed all the DLL files in the debug folder. Could any body help me out. Regard...

how to make pst file to be accessible from CD/DVD?
hi any one have idea? thanks > any one have idea? You can't. Full read and write access to the PST is needed. -- -f.h. ...

Editing XML from browser
Hi, What is the best way to provide the browser based XML editing for better user experience. Presently I am displaying xml in simple Text Area for editing in a browser and I am looking for some better approach. Any help would greatly help, Thanks, "Jimit" <jjshah10@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:_lu0e.66$mS6.157@news.oracle.com... > Hi, > What is the best way to provide the browser based XML editing for better > user experience. Presently I am displaying xml in simple Text Area for > editing in a browser and I am looking for some better approach. >...

XML Validation Test
I have a DataContract from a WCF service that exists in a proxy assembly. I want to create a test client for calling this service, so I thought I would create an instance of the contract through Reflection, serialize to an XmlDocument and then walk through the Xml creating textboxes and labels as I go. Problem is I also want to make sure I use the right controls, so things like using a Calendar control for dates, checkbox for boolean. I figured I could use the DataContractSerializer and XsdDataContractExporter for create the Xml, get the XSD from the class and assign the resulting Xml...

convert pub file to wpd file?
I use Publisher for all my needs, but a lot of my contacts do not. Is it possible to convert Publisher to word perfect document or any other format that woud be easier for them to open. ...

File
Hi! I would like to write a logfile where an entry is added every time some traffic occures on the COM-port. As I have it done now the file is closed when I close the COM-port so it's impossible to read it from the explorer (using notepad.exe) while the COM-port (and file) is open. Is it possible to make a file readable from the explorer while it is open within an app or do i have to open/close it every time a change occures? i am using CFile::Open( "PathAndName", CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeRead | CFile::typeText ). Thanks Philipp Use CFile::Open( "PathAndName...

Create a report on a form to reflect manufacture price
Hello I have a form and sub-form that calulates by query the wholesale value of an order. On the form is a command button to run the wholesale report. I wish to run the same report however change prices contained in the same query (manufacture prices) on the report without altering the orginal form and sub-form. Thanks Hello Peter, In your query you must have the following fields: ManufacturePrice WholesaleDiscount WholesalePrice You apparently calculate the WholesalePrice. In the recordsource of the report you must then have a field, ItemPrice, that gets its value, Wh...

Creating an "exception" report from comparing 2 excel files
We run a report from our system every day that shows all employees and a bunch of demographic data on the employe. The number of rows varies based on the number of employees in the database. Is there a way to compare Monday's file to Tuesday's file in excel and get a list of just the rows that changed from the prior day's file? We have used a suggestion from (Martin W) "Say you have two sheets in one file Sheet1 and Sheet2. Then place this formula in A1 of Sheet3 and drag across and then down as far as needed. =IF(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,"",1)" ...