What is the Best XML API for .NET 3.5?

I’m starting a new project which will dynamically generate (user will have to
pick and choose data, then generate the XML dynamically) RDLC for Reporting.
My approach was to use LINQ to XML for the API.  My question is what is the
best API to use?  Performance is no concern, most critical factor is that the
code be easy to maintain easy to dynamically generate the mark-up for the
RDLC.

Note:  We are all ready using LINQ to XML in the main application.  This is
for the reprinting module of the application.

--
Alexander L. Wykel
AW Software Works

0
awykel (6)

Alexander Wykel wrote:
> I’m starting a new project which will dynamically generate (user will have to
> pick and choose data, then generate the XML dynamically) RDLC for Reporting.
> My approach was to use LINQ to XML for the API.  My question is what is the
> best API to use?  Performance is no concern, most critical factor is that the
> code be easy to maintain easy to dynamically generate the mark-up for the
> RDLC.

I am not familiar with RDLC but using LINQ to XML (XDocument,XElement)
should be easier to work with than DOM (XmlDocument,XmlElement). If you
want to create new XML document then there is also XmlWriter as an option.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> Alexander Wykel wrote:
> > I’m starting a new project which will dynamically generate (user will have to
> > pick and choose data, then generate the XML dynamically) RDLC for Reporting.
> > My approach was to use LINQ to XML for the API.  My question is what is the
> > best API to use?  Performance is no concern, most critical factor is that the
> > code be easy to maintain easy to dynamically generate the mark-up for the
> > RDLC.
>
> I am not familiar with RDLC but using LINQ to XML (XDocument,XElement)
> should be easier to work with than DOM (XmlDocument,XmlElement). If you
> want to create new XML document then there is also XmlWriter as an option.
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
awykel (6)
5/8/2008 6:10:04 PM
Thanks for Martin's prompt reply.

Hello Alexander,

As you see, RDLC is a well formatted XML file. In general, we use
XmlTextWriter class which provides several methods that are useful for
creating a report definition file, as the sample showed in SQL SSRS online
book. Moreover, Linq to XML is also an option, because the code is easier
to maintain and read. Submitting the issue on SQL Reporting Group could
also be a good choice. This is becasue the people in those groups will be
more likely to be able to help and familiar in such field.

[Tutorial: Generating RDL Using the .NET Framework]

Anyway, if you have any more concern, please also feel free to let us know.
We are glad to assist you.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Wen Yuan

Microsoft Online Community Support
msdnmg@microsoft.com.

v-wywang (104)
5/9/2008 6:32:30 AM
With the addition of the new API's it's not always  clear shich one shoukd be
used.  I was all for LINq to XML but if there was a better approach I would
have swayed in that direction.  Thank you for your input!
--
Alexander L. Wykel
AW Software Works

""Wen Yuan Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Thanks for Martin's prompt reply.
>
> Hello Alexander,
>
> As you see, RDLC is a well formatted XML file. In general, we use
> XmlTextWriter class which provides several methods that are useful for
> creating a report definition file, as the sample showed in SQL SSRS online
> book. Moreover, Linq to XML is also an option, because the code is easier
> to maintain and read. Submitting the issue on SQL Reporting Group could
> also be a good choice. This is becasue the people in those groups will be
> more likely to be able to help and familiar in such field.

> [Tutorial: Generating RDL Using the .NET Framework]
>
> Anyway, if you have any more concern, please also feel free to let us know.
> We are glad to assist you.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Best regards,
> Wen Yuan
>
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> msdnmg@microsoft.com.

awykel (6)

CRM 3 Syncronization Mess
A new user in CRM. I imported his 500 contacts that were in Outlook to CRM. I setup the sync for contacts and it then duplicated EVERY contact from CRM into Outlook contacts. I then had to delete everything from outlook. I then tried to sync the contacts that were in CRM to Outlook, but nothing would sync. I modified the local data setting to sync contacts "owned by me" and nothing would sync. My contacts in CRM sync fine to my Outlook contacts with no issue. Since Outlook's contacts has a company name field and CRM's does not (HUGE HUGE PAIN MICROSOFT), I have ha...

IF Function #3
thanks Domenic that works a treat -- sgrec ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1450 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27163 ...

CRM 3.o and External Connector license
Hi, Just wanted to make sure about this licensing option. As far as I understand, if I purchase the external connector license, nothing really gets installed to CRM. In other words external connector license does not increase the number of possible CRM users in the CRM system? And if that is correct, then the external users that use some type of custom portal to interact with the CRM system, do not need to be CRM users. Any comments regarding this licensing option are greatly appreciated since I couldn't find too much information about this even from MS CRM marketing materials. Thanks. ...

new server in exchage 5.5 organization doesn't work
I've set up one more server in exchange organization (exchange 5.5 sp4 windows 2000). At first day everything seemed to work. I've made test mailbox on new server and everything seemed to work. I even recived tets message and I can see whole exchange organization from new server. Then I told public folders to replicate from bridgehead server (exchange 5.5 sp4, windows2000) to new server. And now after five days, there is huge queue on bridgehead server to new server and seems that nothing is moving. There are queue from new server to ridgehead server too. I've just sent a test mess...

Microsoft Money 2003 #3
I updated to money 2003 a while back and now I cannot find out how to access my old money account and all the information in it. Can anyone help? Go to Start, Search or Find, Files and Folders and search My Computer for *.mny. Open each of these until you find your file. Usually, when you install a new version, it will find your file and automatically convert. If it did this and you were in your file previously in 2003, open Money and look at the list of most recently used Money files under the File menu and open each of these. "Gloria Jones" <gg9730@aol.com> wrote in m...

copy and paste #5
Hi all I am looking for a vba solution to join 3 sheets with variable records to one sheet sequentially like this sample: sheet1: ___A___B__ 1 Q1 12 2 Q3 32 sheet2: ___A___B__ 1 Q2 22 2 Q1 11 sheet3: ___A___B__ 1 Q4 19 2 Q2 15 Target sheet: ___A___B___C___D___ 1 Q1 12 2 Q3 32 3 Q2 22 4 Q1 11 5 Q4 19 6 Q2 15 I apologize for sending twice messages Thanks in Advance Bijan check it here http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary.htm On Dec 27, 4:01=A0pm, bija...

low price high quality items whosale & resale at www.alimamatrade.net
we would give our lowest price, www.alimamatrade.net 1. Before shipping the goods ,we check the cutting/stitching/high frequency/embroidery/assembly/cement carefully, until the goods are OK. 2. payment:western union,moneygram,bank transfer (T/T by bank). 3. shipping method:EMS,TNT,DHL other shipping as you prefer. 4. we provide best quality and competetive price to our customers, sample order & drop shipment are OK. Minimum order quantity is 1 delivery time is 4-6 days, send the goods door to door. if you have any other questions,welcome to contact me at any time. TKS! Shoes: Adidas Shoes...

Microsoft XML Diff/Patch -- how to output differences
Thanks to this newsgroup I've been pointed to Microsoft's XML Diff & Patch utilities. I've been reading about how I can use the tools to generate a diffgram between two XML documents, and how the XML Patch utility can (for example) bring document A in line with document B. Very cool. However, I was wondering if there's any way I can use the diffgram to generate something else; a third type of document that highlights the differences between the the input docs and is a little more readable than a diffgram would be ideal. Where I can see actual node names instead o...

Write dataset to xml and back again to dataset?
Before a delete on any table, I would like to write the contents of the soon-to-be-deleted row to that application's single "graveyard" table (alternate: or document as coded below). SQL Server 2005 solution: I would store the tablename, today's date, username, and the key column values of the soon-to-be deleted row as the composite key of the new graveyard table row. The soon-to-be-deleted row's data would be stored in a single xml-type column. XML File solution: composite key from above would be the name of a filename.xml file. The data from the soon-to-be-deleted...

Publisher cannot open the file #3
I upgraded Office Small Business Professional 2000 to SBP 2003. Now I cannot open files created in Publisher 2000. Please help - would have never bothered to upgrade had I known this was coming! Thanks Are you running Norton Antivirus by chance? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Publisher 2003 Upgrade" <Publisher 2003 Upgrade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55771BEE-74C1-4D58-9B89-2514A06C0B3E@microsoft.com... >I upgraded Office Small Business Professional 2000 to SBP 2003. Now I >cannot > open files created in Publisher 2000. P...

3 Personal Folders
I have 3 copies of the same "Personal Folders" folder. They are all 3 exactly the same. When I right click on one of them to close it, the option is greyed out. How can I get rid of the extra two copies? To remove extra PST(s) from the folder list: Outlook 97 or Outlook 98/2000 (Corporate Mode) - On the Tools menu, click Services. - Highlight Personal Folders service you want to remove and click "Remove". Note: Standalone users require 1 Personal Folders Service. Those connecting to an Exchange server normally do not use a Personal Folders file when mail is kep...

Out of Office AutoReply #3
Hi, All I would like to ask you a question regarding one function of Outlook Express or Outlook. Since I got a mail from someone with the subject: Out of Office AutoReply Of course I sent them mail before and they just out of their office and I think they did some setting so that the system can auto reply to the sender for them. So do you know how to make it?? Thank you very much! If you are in an Exchange environment (ask your administrator if you do notknow) you can set the Out of the Office Assistant which is located under Tools. If you are not in an Exchange environment you can c...

Help with calculation #3
On sheet2 I have a list of dates where A1 is 01 Jan 2004, A2 is 01 Feb 2004 etc through to 01 Oct 2005, against each date is a column of figures. So A1 is the date and B1 is the volume. On sheet1 I want to have a formula that will calculate the total volume between 2 dates selected by the user, where D7 is the earliest date and D9 is the latest date. So after they have input the dates the volumes between those dates will be totaled and shown in E10.(They will only be able to input dates for the 1st of the month - so as to match the data held on sheet2.)As you appreciate there will be more tha...

IMAP and Outlook 2003 #3
Microsoft claims you can configuring Microsoft Outlook to connect to an Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP4) server. I have set up the account in Outlook, but it works poorly. Articles in the knowledge base seem to admit that it works poorly. Is Microsoft attempting to force the use of Exchange? Has anyone had sucess with IMAP and Outlook? If so, how? Which server did you use? Darren <delafieldpc@verizon.net> wrote: > Has anyone had sucess with IMAP and Outlook? Outlook 2003. in my opinion, a poor IMAP client. It works, but it's not really production quality. I unde...

J2EE to CRM 3.0
Does anyone know how to get a J2EE app to access data held in CRM 3.0? TIA -- Simon Morris CRM exposes two public webservices, one for the businesslogic and one for the metadata. You should be able to connect to those webservices using J2EE. -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "Simon Morris" <SimonMorris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71EB635C-631C-49F7-A836-47900536CC64@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to get a J2EE app to access data held in CRM 3.0? > > TIA > -- > Simon Morris Hi Jeffry, Thanks for t...

CRM 3.0
Is there any way to use work flow to automatically assign leads to varius salesman as the leads come in. With v3.0, you can write a .Net assembly that you can call from workflow. This could be used to cycle through a list of reps and process the assignment. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Dave M." <Dave M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D3A034A-B8A5-430D-943B-FBE4525BB013@microsoft.com... Is there any way to use work flow to automatically assign leads to varius salesman as the leads come in. ...

Excel Data Protection Best Practice: AKA: Real Sheet Protection
Hello- Any advice for best practices for protecting data/methods/macros within Excel? Clearly, password protecting a sheet isn't the best security (free utilities to crack it). Scenario: - I need users to be able to access the workbook, but by no means, gain access to data within the certain sheets - I can hide the data by utilizing similar colored text and hiding the rows/columns - Once the password is created, it appears there are tons of free utilities that remove these passwords- Bummer. Question: - Any advice to help prevent the utilities from doing this?...

Importing Records in to CRM 3.0
Hello, On a monthly basis, I import a CSV into the Leads area of CRM. This worked well in 1.2 where I was able to select the "Target" field(s). When I tried this same technique in 3.0, I noticed the "Target" field contained the target field info, but was disabled thus not allowing me to change if I want to. Is this new in 3.0 and if so, is there a work-around Hi Kathy, I guess the target fields which are disabled must be mandatory fields for the lead. In V3 it was enforced that mandatory field has to be mapped and so this restriction. If right source field is ...

Macro Problem #5
I am running into a problem when I try and run a macro that copies a sheet that has a pivot table in it and moves it to another folder and then copys-past special-values the sheet. When I try and run macros that do this I get an error message when the macro finishes processing that says "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications". Do you have any suggestions or workarounds I can use to avoid this problem? Below is an example of the visual basic I am using in the macro. Sheets(Array("Calculations", "Tradin...

How to create EXE having some XML files ?
Hello there I am designing one application that would create one exe and pack some resources in it(Like some XML files). Is there any way to do this ? If you are unable to understand it, please Let me know. I'd try to elaborate on it more. ...

MSXML2 to Load xml document using ISO-8859-1 encoding
HI My application connects to the UPS server which returns an ISO-8859-1 encoded XML response. I need a part of this response, ie. the AccessLicenseAgreement , which i need to display in my application and then return to the UPS server with the next request. Their server matches what they sent me with what i return back to them. Due to the difference in the encoding method it returns an Invalid AccessLicenseAgreement error back to me. I set my request Processing Instruction to ISO-8859-1 encoding, but i still get the same error from them. I am guessing the problem is when i read it in using Lo...

i cannot send any emails through my CRM 3.0.
i cannot send any emails through my CRM 3.0. The strange thing is that i can only send emails to myself, but not anyone else. what should i check and where to detect the problem? Check the SMTP configuration on your CRM server. There is a good chance you chose the "default" SMTP setting during the setup and this requires SMTP to be configured on the server itself. You can run a "Repair" installation and it will allow you to change the SMTP config. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Maria" <Maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Ghosting an Exchange 5.5. server
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space. So I ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting things back in order. Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not have done it that way? Tim I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5. Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to ghost? Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database files. Once, I was able ...

IMC Connector Export Exchange 5.5
Is there a tool to export Routing information from an Exchange 5.5 IMS Connector? Thanks, Tibor imccopy in the support directory on the 5.5 CD. On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:29:54 -0400, "tibor fenyes" <tfenyes@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a tool to export Routing information from an Exchange 5.5 IMS >Connector? >Thanks, >Tibor > ...