WebService planning

Hi

We are in the planning stage for a project in which we believe WebServices
could be a suitiable sollution for our goals.
We have a Documentum Web-based DM (Document Management)- system in one end.
In our project we want to create semi-complete Word-documents from which the
users will create new documents.
The DM-side provides with a series of Document properties, a Word template
and some predefined text in a word document.
Since the server where the DM-system resides doesn't have Office installed,
we plan to create a WebService on another server in our network with Office
installed.

The WebService is going to be developed in VB.NET with .NET FW 3.5.

How can we pass properties and 2 files to the WebService and also letting
the WebService return as complete Word-document to the DM-system?

We have heard about something called SOAP attachments. Is this the right way
to solve this, or are there other better solutions to this issue?
Are there any samples avaliable which we can study to make the most out of
our sollution?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards
--
Peter Karlström
Midrange AB

Hello Peter,

From my understanding, yes, I think WebService is the right direction to
achieve the objective. But WebService is not a topic in this XML newsgroup
and also beyond my tech background. So I suggest you raise it in ASP.NET
WebService newsgroup or the ASMX MSDN forum. Experts there should give you
great suggestions on the implementation.
the newsgroup link from the MSDN Subscriber Support homepage)
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/asmxandxml/threads/ (This is
the ASMX WebService forum)

Just based on my knowledge, if we want to transfer a document through
WebService, we can first read the document to FileStream, and then
serialize the FileStream to a byte array. After that, we can take it as
parameter or return value of the webservice function,

See some codes we can find in the following discussion,
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/C_Sharp/Q_22952811.htm

Best regards,
Ji Zhou
Microsoft Online Community Support

0
colbertz
1/19/2010 10:46:06 AM
Hi Colbert

Thanks for your reply.
I found the groups, and will look there for som advice.

Best Regards

--
Regards
Peter Karlström

"Colbert Zhou [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> From my understanding, yes, I think WebService is the right direction to
> achieve the objective. But WebService is not a topic in this XML newsgroup
> and also beyond my tech background. So I suggest you raise it in ASP.NET
> WebService newsgroup or the ASMX MSDN forum. Experts there should give you
> great suggestions on the implementation.
> the newsgroup link from the MSDN Subscriber Support homepage)
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/asmxandxml/threads/ (This is
> the ASMX WebService forum)
>
> Just based on my knowledge, if we want to transfer a document through
> WebService, we can first read the document to FileStream, and then
> serialize the FileStream to a byte array. After that, we can take it as
> parameter or return value of the webservice function,
>
> See some codes we can find in the following discussion,
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/C_Sharp/Q_22952811.htm
>

> Best regards,
> Ji Zhou
> Microsoft Online Community Support
>
> .

planning upgrade to GP 10
Hello Everybody. We are planning our upgrade to GP10, on a new server. We decided to go with MS Windows Server 2008 and are now trying to decide on SQL Server 2008 vs 2005 (we only have experience w 2000). I would like to go straight to SQL 2008. Can anyone convince me otherwise :) I imagine GP should be okay. Are there any 3rd parties that cannot conform yet? We use: FRx, Mekorma MICR, Analysis Cubes, Smartlist / Smartlist Builder, and plan to add Liaison Messenger and the Cust Serv Suite from Ethotech. I could look up compatibility on these products but am also interested in real l...

Planning & Tracking Home-work projects for kids.
Looking for a program to use with my children in order to set up a Daily Progress & Tracking system for school projects and homework. It would be easy to use, come with templates for book reports, biographys, timelines, etc.. Most importantly a planner for deciding what task they need to preform EACH DAY in order to meet the project due date. And best of all, it would print Profress Reports out for busy Mommy. Grades are currently 3 - 6th ...

better backup plan than was running before
On our old server we were running a full backup each night (with truncate and shrink also) and taking it offsite. On the new system (SQL 2005) I want to create a more robust backup/maintenance strategy. Here's what I'm working on. Just wanted to get expert opinions. The db is used in house only on a small network of about 15 users. The mdf file grows pretty slowly and is at about 1.3 GB right now. Maybe grows 100 MB /year. step 1: The first Monday of each month at 2 AM I'm going to have it rebuild indexes and update statistics step 2: Every Monday at 1 AM a ...

Space Plan Startup Wizard
I am trying to follow a document from Microsoft title "Convert a CAD floor plan into a Visio Professions Space Plan diagram". The document says it applies to Microsoft Visio Professional 2002 (which I am running). Step one, says 1) In Visio Professional, on the File menu, point to New, point to Building Plan, and then click Space Plan. This works fine. Step two says 2) In the Space Plan Startup Wizard, click CAD drawing. Locate the CAD drawing that you want to insert, and then click Open. I don't get a startup Wizard. I re-did the installation process and made sure ...

4.0 VPC image expires April 2009
The latest Microsoft VPC image for CRM 4.0 is set to expire April 2009. This is invaluable for ISVs such as ourselves to demonstrate CRM to potential clients especially using customisations particular to that client. Are there plans to replace this with a new VPC image? regards, Paul. HI Paul, I believed Microsoft is already aware of this. :) Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe Horwath http://www.crowecrm.com On Jan 13, 8:14=A0pm, Paul <lis...@gmail.com> wrote: > The latest Microsoft VPC image for CRM 4.0 is set to expire April > 2009. > > This is invaluable for ISVs s...

How to plan resource vacations in Project Server 2007
Hi, How can we insert the vacations of the human resources for the entire year? Ideally we'd like them to be calendar exceptions like the Non-Working Administrative Time Categories are. The problem we found in using the Administrative Time Categories is that the resources normally do not get to see the timesheets of the future and so there is no way (as akward as it would be) to submit their planned vacations through future timesheets for the entire year). Our timesheets are weekly. Thanks in adavnce, Aristotelis. Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal o...

scale drawing to imported picture (scan of plan)
Hi group, This is what I'm doing: New drawing, Home Plan (Metric) stencil. I set the scale manually (to 74.5 mm = 3750 mm) I have measured this scale from the plan before scanning. Now when I measure some distance I get 4050 mm = 4350 mm. This should be 4350 = 4350 mm How can I correct my scale to reflect measurements correctly? Thanks a lot! Erwin Are you saying that when you print out your drawing, the scaling is wrong? If so, go to File > Page Setup > Print Setup tab and make sure that Adjust to 100% is selected. If this isn't what you mean, perhaps a bit more explan...

Plan your Vacation or Tour now and save mo,ney, but do the research! 63627
I have many unused domain names so I have turned many of them into portals with endless information about various topics. It's free, we aren't trying to sell you anything, and we don't even wanty our e-mail or name. Check these out and serach for whatyou are looking of r, or just have fun,. read and learn. http://informationforworldtravel.com http://adultvacationplanner.com http://dailybusinesstravel.com Adrian <R,BU/?eb+!%#qXH!OOznBOn$ ...

10 minutes a day marketing plan
http://www.10minutesaday.ws/members/rohr1976 - Take back your life. - Easily earn an income on the net! - Breakthrough system that allows you to promote ANY business SUCCESSFULLY in just 10 minutes a day!! - Does not require an existing business to earn an income - If you can click a mouse you qualify - Can be used by ANYONE on the Internet no matter what their skill level. ie. 400 Million Internet Users - Everyone including your friends will want to use this system - Excellent income potential http://www.10minutesaday.ws/members/rohr1976 --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20050601003910G4k3EtD5...

EPM Project Plan Template Publish Issue
I'm trying to save and publish a template and the publish is grayed out. Also we are noticing that the template that we originally published is hanging when someone tries to open/new from computer the template. Please advise. Thanks MK You need to have administrator role enable for your project server account when saving the template. -- Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA Wharton Computer Consulting, Inc "Managing Efficiency thru Technology" "MK" wrote: > I'm trying to save and publish a template and the publish is gray...

How to stop the success email from Maint.Plan
Hello, [SQL2005] I created a Maintenance plan to take log backups and delete 2-day old backup files. Thus the maint.plan has 4 tasks - Task1 to take log backups and Task2 to notify operator(my email id) in case of failure. Task3 will happen on success of task1 and will delete Tlog backups older than 2 days. Task4 will notify operator in case of failure of Task3. The plan is called by a scheduled SQL Agent job that runs every 15minutes. This has been working correctly. However, whenever the job completes, I get a success email like this: NEW COMPONENT OUTPUT Microsoft(R...

email on the planned date
I have designed a role-based planner in excel. I would like to get a email reminder on the start date and end date of the activity. I a not able to do it. Can someone help? Regards T Shanmugha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com T, You can use the worksheet's calculate event (or other event as appropriate - you really didn't give enough details). This requires a reference set to Outlook - the code will generate an email when the current date is later than the date in cell A1. Cell B1 is used to prevent multiple emails being sent: Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate(...

Resource Plans
I have not used Resource Plans for some time. I have always found them a bit flaky. I just revisited them with the October hot fix, and this still seems to be the case. Whenever you incorporate a generic resource in my environment the resource plan errors on save. This seems to be because I choose to set max units value for generic resource to 0%. I suspect it's provoked by trying to do FTE calculations which it does not do very well. Am I the only one to experience this problem? rgds Mike This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AD_01CAB9FB.1F...

SQLServer2005 database backup size through maitenance plan is smaller than actual database size?
As I understand SQL2005 maintenance plan backup has a compression future. But why is some dbs are close to the actual size and few others not? How to verify this is a good backup without going restoring process? Also is it bigger databases are backed up quicker going through maintenance plan than other means (sql agent, etc)? Please provide some reasoning behind this so that it makes sense to me. ...

I am planning a vacation, how do i itemize my expenses?
I am planning a vacation, how do i itemize my expenses? Homework? -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "Amdireth" <Amdireth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:673F9CCA-F7E2-4248-ACD5-CA7E337C1F63@microsoft.com... >I am planning a vacation, how do i itemize my expenses? Hi Amdireth I would break them down into catagories -- ie travel costs, meals, etc Easiest way to do this is with a piece of paper, a pencil and a calculator "Amdireth" <Amdireth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Any idea on future plans for RMS?
Has Microsoft made any publicly available announcements regarding the future of RMS? What I am interested in is what is the timeline for a new version of this software (if any?) and what are the planned enhancements? Specifically what I am looking for is any indication of if MS plans to fix the broken (and VERY buggy) implementation of custom hooks. Right now custom hooks are mostly useless for all but the most basic scenarios. Does anyone have any insight? Right now, we simply cannot get our custom software to work with RMS so we are forced to use solutions from other parties. Th...

how can i create a scoreboard showing percent to plan?
i need to create several scoreboards to be updated every month. the one i am currently working on needs to show a group of about 25 sales people -- and how close to their dollar goal they are in percent for the year so far. ...

Calling webservice from unmanaged C++ app
I have an unmanaged app written using VS2003 VC++. I was able to connect to a webservice by selecting "Add Web Reference" and selecting a WSDL file in the project menu. This created a header file that had functions exposed by the webserver that I was able to call. In that file, there was an explicit reference to the URL where the webservice lives. This is fine if i always want to use that particular webserver. However, I need to dynamically specify the URL because we have people at corporate that need to connect to different databases at different locations that all use t...

DST Planning #2
In the DST planning process, I have noted that others have experienced a problem with shared mailbox permissions and mobile devices. In Article 912918, it states that you could experience the problem with a Store.exe file version equal to or later than version 7233.51. My Store.exe version is 6.5.7233.69. Can someone confirm that if I am not already experiencing the problem, that implementing DST isn't going to cause this specific problem for me. It would seem I already have the Store.exe that requires the separate explicit permissions - true? I have Exchange 2003 SP1 on a Wind...

Planning visualisation in CRM 1.2
Is it possible to display the planning of another user with the Calendar of the Workplace module? Thank you for your answer. ...

Jagged Arrays and Webservices
Hello, i have a problem with jagged arrays and a webservice. I try to call a webservice with an array of a class that contains jagged arrays. Here is an example: class MyClass{ string[][] myJaggedArray; string anotherString; } The webservice expects and returns an array of MyClass, the proxy function looks like this: MyClass[] setMyClass(string sessionId, MyClass[] MyClassArray) When i call the webservice with the proper parameters i get the following exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Beim Generieren des XML-Dokuments ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. ---> System.InvalidOpera...

Planning of server
Hi, We currently have hosted our email on exchnage server on a third party service provider (remote exchange host) . What would be the best way for hosting crm and exchange to be able to utilize active directory for logins and exchange server with crm Thanks Atul KaKade ...

how do I do a Planned vs Actual start date & end date graph
hi, I'm plotting a Phase of a project in Excel and need to capture Planned vs Actual Start dates and End dates- how do I go about doing this in Excel using graphs? - please advise, thanks. ...

Why does actual work replace the planned in Microsoft Project 2007
Hi there; Is this a standard feature in Microsoft Project 2007 that when you capture time in PWA (and i am not referring to the timesheet module within Project Server 2007 that allows you to replace actuals with planned) (we are using the Timesheet module from Codeplex so don't have that feature in the timesheet module) your actuals actually overwrites the planned in MSP when the Project Manager approves the updates. Is there any way to avoid this happening...a setting...configuration change or something? We are trying to look at historical planned date without looking ...

SDK
I created a sample application which creates a new account in ms crm through SDK. The asp.net application runs fine and inserts new account on the machine in which ms crm 3.0 is installed. Now if I run that application from my machine which is in same domain then it gives me following error :- The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. For update function it gives following error :- Server was unable to process request. Exception Details: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. Source Error: Line 351: [System.Web.Se...