Updating referential integrity and XML

I am trying to use XML to update customer information in our SQL server
database.  The
customer data has some referential integrity.  A simple example would be two
tables,
employee and department -- each employee may belong to a department, where
emp.dep_id = dep.id (in other words, emp.dep_id is a foreign key to dep.id).

The problem is the customer (who is supplying the updates) has no idea about
the foreign
key.  The XML they provide can (or will have to!) include the FK reference
(as I have
added this relationship to my .xsd.  But the values in the incoming XML will
more than
likely *not* match the FK relationships in the database.

Somehow, I need to match up the incoming data and re-set the key/foreign key
fields before
updating the database.  This also means if the department doesn't exist (by
name, of course),
it needs to be added first.

This seems like it might be a common problem.  Any suggestions for a
solution?  And
examples I could use for reference?

Thanks,

-- Greg Allen

0
gallen (8)

Text Update through CDialog and CFrame
I am running a program that requires a text update or maybe a progress bar of sort. My program is used to convert several files into one big file. Within the program it updates the Percentage of how much of the process is complete. I want to Show that Updated Percentage on CDialog and/or CFrame. And if this is possible also incorporate a progress bar. I have the text "update" through CFrame using CClientDC and having the program integrated into the CFrame Class I created. But the "update" is rather slow and when I resize the window or minumize and restore it the ...

CSV file to update Stock/MF prices
Hello! I live in Brazil and MS-Money does not support Brazilian securities. As I have seen others ask, but not this question...is there a way to import stock/MF prices from a *.csv file? thx None we are aware of. You might be able to develop something that ran Excel and used SendKeys to do manual price history entries in Money. It'd probably get ugly if it was doable. "rob_luis" <rob_luis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5360D961-44BF-4D0D-8E33-F9589749093B@microsoft.com... > Hello! I live in Brazil and MS-Money does not support Brazilian > ...

CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 2 Build number
We just completed testing update rollup 2 in test so are ready to deploy it however I am concerned that it does not update it's build number. It says it installed correctly, I can see it in the add remove programs, I checked to be sure the webconfig file was update correctly on the server. Neither the client nor the server show the new build number. Makes me nervous to rollout to users. Any help? Also, on my computer tried installing update rollup 3, it also doesn't update the buildnumber. Hi, Did you find a solution already? I'm having the same problem and I don't fin...

Integration Manager Access Driver Error
Since I installed Dynamics and IM 9.0 on a new PC, I receive an error trying to open any integration. Other users in my office use the same shared resource without issue. Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid string or buffer length. Number: -2147467259 I have installed the latest IM service pack. ...

Possible BUG Assoc VB, M$ latest security Update
Downloaded latest security Updates from M$ last night. (4/16/2009) Had 9 updates installed my system. After reboot attempted to access a VB project. Project OK, but VB IDE acting odd. 1) Any old project the IDE Property page is -- blank -- and just shows the two tabs at the top. 2) Any new project IDE appears to work fine. Anyone else have this issue?? Forgot System Info: XP-Pro(SP3) and VB5(SP3) "David" <NoWhere@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:uj$PEki3KHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Downloaded latest security Updates from M$ l...

Microsoft Prject 2003 Updating Resource Usage
In Project 2003 when i update the progress of a taskto a percentage complete, does this automatically update the resource usage sheet ? For example. If I have a task assigned to a resource that is 8 hrs, and I update the task to 50% complete, I would expect to see the resource hours, on the resource usage view change from 8 to 4 Is this incorrect ? If so, how can i see Remaining Hours on a Resource Usage view. I don't see a selection for this in the dropdown options. Hi, I'm afraid remaining work is indeed not available as an option in the timescaled (the right) part ...

update two fields at once
Hi Access Gurus, In A2003 I want to write an update query which updates about ten fields at once. The idea is that if any one of these fields is null, I update it with a value read from a linked Excel table. For the sake of simplicity, let's say I have only 2 fields, F1 and F2. Either one of them might have a null value. The logic is: IF F1 is null, update it, and IF F2 is null, update it, but if the field already has a value (is non-null), let it alone. Can I do this in one update query, or do I have to write a separate query for each field I am updating? In the quer...

basic xml
Hello! I'm reading a book and I'm trying to learn the very basic about xml. Can somebody give me an explanation why namespace are used in xml perhaps with a simple example that demonstate the usefulness. //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Can somebody give me an explanation why namespace are used in xml > perhaps with a simple example that demonstate the usefulness. If there were no namespaces then you could not mix different XML vocabularies as you could not distinguish for instance the XHTML 'table' elment from a 'table' element in another vocabulary. Usin...

Integration manager #5
Hello all, I am a newbe here so be gentle. I am creating a system that works heavily with adding and removing inventory. One customer requested we be able to "update" inventory in Great Plains for them. I have been looking around for some information about doing this and found a bunch of references to a Great Plains integration manager. can someone point me in a direction or to a place I can get more information? regards There is a technical article in the MSDN Library entitled "Development Tools for Microsoft Business Solutions-Great Plains" that has more informati...

a protected cell w/formula only updates only on file save?
I have an excel worksheet that use to work fine. Now all of a sudden the cell with a formula no longer updates automatically. It only updates the calculated cell once I save the file. Hi First job - go to Tools|Options|Calculation tab and make sure Automatic is selected. -- Andy. "snap" <snap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD853AC-9B80-4C90-9029-482266CE1A67@microsoft.com... >I have an excel worksheet that use to work fine. Now all of a sudden the >cell > with a formula no longer updates automatically. It only updates the > calculated ce...

Problem creating XML file...
Hi all! I'm trying to create this XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Build type="Daily" sync="True" compile="True" assemble="True" > <Sync version="1.0.0.0" branch="QA"> <Directories basePath="//OpicsPlus/Source/Release" /> </Sync> </Build> For this, I'm trying to use the code below: private static BuildConfiguration SaveXML(XmlDocument xml, string fileName) { // Creates the nodelist XmlNodeList nodeList; XmlElement user = xml.Docume...

Mutual funds daily updates
Any work-around to resolve the problem of daily changes in mutual fund prices NOT being reflected in the "Today's Total Change" column of the Your Portfolio view? Would appreciate learning how others have solved this problem. Thanks very much. Also, if your funds are like mine, they don't update until the next day, so unless you set your clock back, they will never show today's change, because all they will ever show is yesterday's close, not todays. <frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:384301c3e277$bcec8a70$a501280a@phx.gbl... >...

Update between two workbooks.........
I am working on a worksheet that relies on data from a log that is kept on another workbook. The log workbook is updated constantly by a team of 12 people and no two people can be in the log at the same time. So it works very nicely for that purpose. I am builidng in another ' calculation ' workbook a worksheet that will use the data from the log workbook and the 3 fields from the log will be used as descriptions from one entry from the log. For ease of update I would use a second worksheet in the calculation workbook to hold the entire contents of the original worksheet from the ...

Records backing out of Econnect Update 7.5.02
I have seen other posts and am curious as to what causes inserts in a transaction mode to back out. When it works every time. If I start the project in Visual Studio and run the web page. In order to get another transaction in sucessfully, I have to close Visual Studio, change the XML and restart and run the web page. I see it work here and there when I run it in a standalone web enviroment. There are never any errors when the transaction backs out. When it backs out....you can see the Vendor ID temporarily in GP until it completely backs out. The code uses the econnect75.dll and the foll...

unbound subform updating problem
I have a form with an unbound subform. In the subform, I would like to display all the records from a particular table, sorted on a particular field. So far, quite a simple matter. The issue becomes a little more complicated, however, because the table in question gets altered, based on user input on the main form (the form containing the unbound subform). Not only do the records in the table change, but the table may have columns added to it or deleted from it, and I would like those changes to be reflected in the subform. I can get the updated records to show up in the subform, but when...

CRM Update Rollup 2 05-16-07
I noticed some CRM blog posts that slated a release for the 2nd update rollup yesterday. Obviously (and expectedly), this has been delayed. Anyone out there know when we can expect to see this? No details yet ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "MD" <MD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:005FA98B-D203-4554-921D-AA0BCB435D8F@microsoft.com... >I noticed some CRM blog posts that slated a release for the 2nd update >rollup > yesterday. Obviously (and expectedly), this has been delayed. Anyone o...

Updates stopped
For some reason updates from my bank (WAMU) stopped on 4/3. No useful message. It is the only account that doesn't update and is also the only account that uses the alternate procedure instead of direct polling at update time. Anyone getting this banks updates? Have you contacted your Bank? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message news:e2$wIkQeHHA.3...

XML query
Hi I am new to using XML, and have a bit of an issue. How do I define how the XML file looks when I export a query from Access? ...

Third party links/integration for MSCRM
Hi there, Does anyone know if there are any third party links/integration for MSCRM to the following programs: - Strata web-based phone system - Calyx Software TIA -- Rich As far as I am aware the only phone system to integrate into CRM is Altigen "Frank Lee" <frank@workopia.com> wrote in message news:0d9d01c36b55$24a19fb0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > There is currently no third party integration to Calyx > Software that I am aware off... > > No sure about the Strata phone system. > > Frank Lee > Workopia, Inc. > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >&g...

Unsuccessful statement updates
One day about a week ago, my Home Depot and Sears credit card accounts would not update although I have had them working for the last six months. After going through the process of online setup, Money appears to download my acount information then an error message box pops up saying the information could not be updated from your bank or brokerage. When I send the error message into Microsoft, the bleow data is presented on a web page but without any guidance. Anyone have the same problem? Details Event ID: obres:22063 Source: 15.0 ...

how to link the updated database to a shape
First I have linked a particular shape in a drawing with some values in the database. After that I have updated the database with few more values. Now if I'm saving the drawing as a web page it is giving the message as "There was an error creating a file". what is the error and where to find the errors if they occur in a visio. Thanks in advance. ...

Rookie question : Writing edited form data (gridview) to XML
using Visual Studio 2005 C# ASP.NET I know there has to be a simple way to do this....I want to use C# in a code behind for aspx. Populate a GridView from an xml file Add Fields to the GridView to allow entry of quantity and Y/N switch for each row Write contents of GridView to new xml file. Example... xml file that populates gridview cols: <items> <item id=1> <name="Bread" /> <price="1.10" /> </item> <item id=2> <name="Milk" /> <price="2.20" /> </item> <ite...

What is the best way to insert a time and date that will update ..
What is the best way to insert a time and date that will update in Excel? Hi, See: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html "dmw01va" wrote: > What is the best way to insert a time and date that will update in Excel? In article <AE5236AA-988F-4613-9961-64C2AA6BEF02@microsoft.com>, "dmw01va" <dmw01va@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is the best way to insert a time and date that will update in Excel? =NOW() Hope this helps! Hi =NOW() will display the time & date (depending on formatting - format / cells) and this will be updated...

CRM AD Integration
Hello, we are about to test CRM in our organistaion and have noticed the requirements for a domain admin account. Does CRM change the AD sturucture in any way when you install? Many thanks for your assistance CRM install adds OU(s) and security groups, but not the schema "GC" <oz_madmax@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1f5bc01c4582f$bd2bd490$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, we are about to test CRM in our organistaion and > have noticed the requirements for a domain admin account. > > Does CRM change the AD sturucture in any way when you > install? > >...

Update Watch without breaking in VC6?
Is there a way to update watch window on the fly at a designated point in the code, without breaking, in VC6.0? TIA, Harvey I am not aware of any such mechanism. joe On 19 Mar 2007 09:19:59 -0700, "Harvey" <harveyab@juno.com> wrote: >Is there a way to update watch window on the fly at a designated point >in the code, without breaking, in VC6.0? >TIA, >Harvey Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm ...