SOAP xml

Fedex in the US is changing their method of dealing with their servers for
submitting packages, tracking , etc. The old method was a formatted Xml file
submitted via an HTTP Post. You then parsed the returned Xml that contained
the information requested.

Now they are phasing that out in favor of a web service using WSDL SOAP
messages.  I took one of their VB.Net samples and have sucessfully tracked
packages and received Proof of Delivery Pdf files. However I have a problem
when I deal with Fedex tech support when I have questions about some of
their other services, for example Address Verification.  They need to see
the actual SOAP message that I send and also their server response.  I am
dealing with the NET objects that are based on their WSDL. They don't
support the sample programs from their developer web site.  They are only
there as a convenience to get started.

I understand basically what is happing with the WSDL and the SOAP message
that is actually created and sent to their server, but I don't know how to
access the actual XML that is sent/received to Fedex.

Can anyone tell me how to get the underlying Xml?

Regards,

Rick

0
Rick2256 (24)

Rick wrote:
> Fedex in the US is changing their method of dealing with their servers
> for submitting packages, tracking , etc. The old method was a formatted
> Xml file submitted via an HTTP Post. You then parsed the returned Xml
> that contained the information requested.
>
> Now they are phasing that out in favor of a web service using WSDL SOAP
> messages.  I took one of their VB.Net samples and have sucessfully
> tracked packages and received Proof of Delivery Pdf files. However I
> have a problem when I deal with Fedex tech support when I have questions
> about some of their other services, for example Address Verification.
> They need to see the actual SOAP message that I send and also their
> server response.  I am dealing with the NET objects that are based on
> their WSDL. They don't support the sample programs from their developer
> web site.  They are only there as a convenience to get started.
>
> I understand basically what is happing with the WSDL and the SOAP
> message that is actually created and sent to their server, but I don't
> know how to access the actual XML that is sent/received to Fedex.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get the underlying Xml?

Have you consider to use a network sniffer/analyzer tool like Fiddler or
Ethereal? That way you should be able to see the XML that is sent and
received.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

I will look into those.  I thought there might be something within the Net
framework that I could get this information since it is creating the XML to
send and then interpreting the response.

Rick

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>> Fedex in the US is changing their method of dealing with their servers
>> for submitting packages, tracking , etc. The old method was a formatted
>> Xml file submitted via an HTTP Post. You then parsed the returned Xml
>> that contained the information requested.
>>
>> Now they are phasing that out in favor of a web service using WSDL SOAP
>> messages.  I took one of their VB.Net samples and have sucessfully
>> tracked packages and received Proof of Delivery Pdf files. However I have
>> a problem when I deal with Fedex tech support when I have questions about
>> some of their other services, for example Address Verification.  They
>> need to see the actual SOAP message that I send and also their server
>> response.  I am dealing with the NET objects that are based on their
>> WSDL. They don't support the sample programs from their developer web
>> site.  They are only there as a convenience to get started.
>>
>> I understand basically what is happing with the WSDL and the SOAP message
>> that is actually created and sent to their server, but I don't know how
>> to access the actual XML that is sent/received to Fedex.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to get the underlying Xml?
>
> Have you consider to use a network sniffer/analyzer tool like Fiddler or
> Ethereal? That way you should be able to see the XML that is sent and
> received.
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

0
Rick2256 (24)
9/18/2009 5:24:36 PM
Rick wrote:

> I will look into those.  I thought there might be something within the
> Net framework that I could get this information since it is creating the
> XML to send and then interpreting the response.

Maybe tracing will give you the information
but I am not sure about that.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
0
mahotrash (1777)
9/18/2009 5:38:39 PM
Thanks, Tracing is a good thought, but that URL is for an ASP application
and I have a windows app.

I did try to trace with Wireshark (the sucessor to Etherial).  I can see the
traffic, but since it is an HTTPS connection, all the data is encrypted.

Back to the drawing board... I think I will try posting in
dotnet.languages.vb and see if there is any help there.

> Rick wrote:
>
>> I will look into those.  I thought there might be something within the
>> Net framework that I could get this information since it is creating the
>> XML to send and then interpreting the response.
>
> Maybe tracing will give you the information
> but I am not sure about that.
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

0
Rick2256 (24)
9/18/2009 8:34:27 PM
Martin,

In case it is ever any help to you, I found out how to do this.

When you add the Web Service to your project using the WSDL, a proxy class
is created.  This class contains the methods and objects for the service.

To get the actual Xml for the request and reply I only needed to serialize
the objects using an XMLSerializer. In my case I save them to a filestream.

Thanks for your help, it eventually lead me down the right path.

Rick

"Rick" <Rick@lakevalleyseed.com> wrote in message
> Fedex in the US is changing their method of dealing with their servers for
> submitting packages, tracking , etc. The old method was a formatted Xml
> file submitted via an HTTP Post. You then parsed the returned Xml that
> contained the information requested.
>
> Now they are phasing that out in favor of a web service using WSDL SOAP
> messages.  I took one of their VB.Net samples and have sucessfully tracked
> packages and received Proof of Delivery Pdf files. However I have a
> problem when I deal with Fedex tech support when I have questions about
> some of their other services, for example Address Verification.  They need
> to see the actual SOAP message that I send and also their server response.
> I am dealing with the NET objects that are based on their WSDL. They don't
> support the sample programs from their developer web site.  They are only
> there as a convenience to get started.
>
> I understand basically what is happing with the WSDL and the SOAP message
> that is actually created and sent to their server, but I don't know how to
> access the actual XML that is sent/received to Fedex.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get the underlying Xml?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick

0
Rick2256 (24)
9/20/2009 10:27:00 AM
Rick,

Could you post some of the code you used to serialize the request and
result objects as XML?

Thanks,
Brad
Hi Brad,

I don't monitor this ng all the time, so I just saw your request.  Here it
is in case it still helps you:

       Friend Shared Function XmlToString(ByVal xmlObject As Object) As
String
            Dim x As New Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer(xmlObject.GetType)
            Dim sw As New IO.StringWriter()
            x.Serialize(sw, xmlObject)
            Return sw.ToString
        End Function

In this case, I pass in the WSDL request or reply object. A serializer is
created for that object type and then it writes to a string writer.The
result is the serialized Xml.

Rick

"Brad" <iseriesprogramming@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Rick,
>
> Could you post some of the code you used to serialize the request and
> result objects as XML?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

0
Rick2256 (24)

XSLT for viewing XML as Tree
I have some XML I want to display in a section of a web page. I want the XML displayed as a tree. The way you see XML if you load the file in the browser. It shows the tree and you can expand/collapse nodes etc. Is their a way to get the actual transform that does this? I think I remember some people extracted the xslt from some MS IE dll or something like that. http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/showtree/index.htm http://www.codeproject.com/soap/treefromxmlusingxslt.asp Chuck P wrote: > I have some XML I want to display in a section of a web page. > I want the XML displ...

disinclude from xml serialization
How to mark a public member of a class so that it is not included in an xml serialization or deserialization ? Thanks. On 5/5/2010 2:59 PM, John Grandy wrote: > How to mark a public member of a class so that it is not included in an xml > serialization or deserialization ? Thanks. > > Mark the property with the attribute XmlIgnore as below: [XmlIgnore()] public string NotNecessaryString {get; set;} -- Mike ...

XML Serialization problem related to framework versions
Hi all I get an exception when trying to deserialize a simple configuration file using XML Serialization. The very long stacktrace can be seen at the bottom of this message. I've see other messages related a similar error but none of the solutions suggested are valid in case :/ I have tracked the problem down to the compilation of the temporary DLL that handles the actual serialization. The following commandline (that is one single line) is executed by the framework when trying to deserialize my configuration: "c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe" /t:libr...

xml name spaces
In WPF, you have to have the following in your xaml file: <Window x:Class="SeeThru.Window1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" Title="SeeThru" Height="300" Width="300" If you don't have the xmlns lines or you call it anything else, the compiler will give you an error. And some of your code will give you errors, such as x:fkey for instance. These are not actual urls. If you put them in your browser, you will get &quo...

Can XML receipts be modified in RMS?
Can you modify the XML receipt template in RMS? Specifically, when you go to F4 to see the receipt, and go to Tender/Tender Entry Screen and press print, you get information regarding that receipt. My question is, can that information be modified or added to. For example- the customer wants to see Date, Time, and Cashier ID on that printout. Can we modify the XML template to show these fields as well? Thanks-Andrea ...

Validate xml instance against schema
Hi all, I am using XMLValidatingReader to validate xml instance against schema. Now my question is: in the schema, it has the target name space. In the instance, it doesn't have the name space. I can not add the name space into the instance, if I could do that I won't have any problem. Currently I use XmlTextReader, XmlValidatingReader or XmlDocument. I am looking for the help to make it work without adding the name space into the instance. Is it doable? TIA, JoeZ "JoeZ" <joez@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ObOrZXcYHHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >...

Exporting several xml levels from excel

[ANN] XMLmind FO Converter v4.0
XFC v4.0 has been released. This version is a major breakthrough as it brings support of Office Open XML (MS-Word 2007 native format) as alternate output format. As usual, Personal Edition is freely available from <http://www.xmlmind.com/foconverter/download.shtml>, and Professional Edition upgrade is available to eligible customers from <http://www.xmlmind.com/foconverter/upgrade.html>. Personal Edition users, please note that Personal Edition license terms have changed drastically compared with version 3.1. Except in a few special cases Personal Edition may no longer be used fo...

Help pls
Honestly, I'm only okay with MFC/C++, I'm not familiar with ATL, WTL or like that... I have downloaded 4 different wrapper classes and none of them seem to want to work in VS2005. All I want to do is read and write XML documents. Maybe append a child node here and there. That's all. Can someone popint me in the right direction here? The MSXML docs are really hard to thread through. tia B I'm using xerces-c (2.7.0) for parsing XML and I could make it work quite quickly with MFC. See http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/download.cgi You have here also some Demos about ho...

We are looking for XML/Soap/VXML expertsd to work in US as well as in India
Hello, We are looking for XML/Soap/VxML experts to work in US as well as in India, If anybody is looking for job, send your resume to stanna at optonline dot net. Salaries are attractive. Sai, stanna@optonline.net. ...

How to write APOSTROPHE into an XML SelectNodes statement????
Ok, I've looked for an answer for this, because I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times... but no luck... so here goes. Imagine I want to create a NodeList based on an XPath statement. The 'query' portion of that statement wants to search for the following value: Joe's Garage ....now please note the APOSTROPHE in the above string. Now, you VB.Net & XML experts know the following will NOT work: myXmlNodeList = MyXmlDoc.SelectNodes("MyParentNode/SomeOtherNode[Title='Joe's Garage']) ....because the *apostrophe* in "Joe's" will s...

VB.Net question on using the XML DOM (xmldocument)
I am about to go bonkers trying to figure this out -- So here goes Currently I am building an xml document and have no problem building the document with one namespace designation using the DOM. Here is a snip-it of what I have <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List"> <Template> <ID>Template_FFF4887BC8B4E98F85256EE60061576A</ID> I can’t figure out how to add a secondary xmlns reference that will look like this. <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List" xmlns="http://www.5678.com/VNET/eiwm"> <Templ...

PP 2004 11.5.5 can open PPTX without the "Open XMl converter" also
Hi All, I have PowerPoint 2004 11.5.5 installed on my system. Initially when I used to open pptx files with it, it used to say "unsupported format, please download the converter pack". I downloaded and installed the Open XML converter pack on my mac. Then it started working fine. Then I deleted the Open XMl converter.app (did a "rm -rf *" on it) but after that also my PowerPoint 2004 opens/edits/saves the PPTX happily, without any problem at all. Does Open XMl converter changes something in the installed PowerPoint which enables it to work with the PPTX files e...

How do I map multiple XML elements in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to map a single XML element to multiple columns in 2003 Pro Excel and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've mapped my XML schema to XML Source... and I'm trying to map a child element to multiple cells.... My schema looks like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <element name="Root"> <complexType> <sequence> <element name="Distribution" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <complexType> <sequence> <element ...

XPath as XML attribute
Hi all, I'm a newbie to XSLT working on my first project with it and I'm stuck on a particular thing. I want to create a document that will write the PCDATA from a given <Line> element, then, in the next table cell, I want to insert the text within the element pointed to by the "xpath" attribute. <Line num="1" xpath="Income/Additions/CashFlow">Cash Flow for 2005</Line> <Line num="2" xpath="Additions/AddDeductions/Total">Total Deductions for 2005</Line> <Line num="3" xpath="Additions/AddDe...

XML ASP.NET 2.o Issue
Hi, I have the following code and I'm using News.xsl to read the XML file - Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load '---------------------------------------------------------------------------- THIS PAST (myXml.Document) IS NOT WORKING IN ASP.NET 2.0 '---------------------------------------------------------------------------- myXml.Document = getXML(nSource.SelectedItem.Value) End Sub Function getXML(ByVal sourceFile As String) Dim myRequest As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest....

Xml validation against xsd #2

Bad XML formatting from XmlTextWriter
Here is a function more or less exactly as I found it from somewhere on the internet. static string BeautifyXML(string sXML) { string result = ""; System.IO.MemoryStream ms = new System.IO.MemoryStream(); System.Xml.XmlTextWriter w = new System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(ms, System.Text.Encoding.Unicode); System.Xml.XmlDocument d = new System.Xml.XmlDocument(); try { //load the xml into the document object d.LoadXml(sXML); w.Formatting = System.Xml.Formatting.Indented; //copy the xml into a formatting XmlTextWriter d.WriteContentTo(w); w.Flush(); ms.Flush(); //rewi...

Newbie: creating DB tables from XML.
Using Visual C# 2005, how can I programmatically create physical tables in a DBMS from an XML schema or an XML file? The only way is manually parsing the file to generate the "CREATE TABLE" SQL statement? Thanks in advance, Luigi. On Mar 24, 3:40 am, "BLUE" <blue> wrote: > Using Visual C# 2005, how can I programmatically create physical tables in a > DBMS from an XML schema or an XML file? > The only way is manually parsing the file to generate the "CREATE TABLE" SQL > statement? Use ADO.NET to read the XML into an ADO DataSet. If the XML...

XML Generation C# from helper class generated by XSD from a schema
I am working on creating XML from a very complex schema with multiple complex types. I've gotten through all the problems so far but this one has me stymied. It is probably simple to resolve. The helper class is below - my code attempt is here. At runtime I get an exception also noted below. The question - how to I use the helper class to get the result also pasted below. The result desired: <Identification> <NCPDPID>9900009</NCPDPID> </Identification> The code attempt: rq.Pharmacy.Identification = new Phar...

Transform xsl file into xml file
Hi all I have an xsl file and would like to transform it into an xml file. The same way as if i would open the xsl file in excel and then save as... xml file (Office 2003). is there a way to do it in c#(or whatever else) in visual studio .net? and how can i then transform it back from xml into an xsl file? thanks for your help m.ahrens m.ahrens wrote: > I have an xsl file and would like to transform it into an xml file. The same > way as if i would open the xsl file in excel and then save as... xml file > (Office 2003). ??? XSL document is XML document. Do you need just to ...

XML serialzation
Hi! Because of the size of XML document, I'm trying to skip some elements in XML for the properties which are not changed during current session. I am holding those property names in array, and if property is not changed (it has old value) than I don't want to include it in XML. I know that I can use transformation, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. TIA Stipe How are you serializing your XML? Using the XmlTextReader and skipping the unchanged elements as you wank the XML tree would be fast. the reader doesn't try to load the entire XML document ...

XML Notepad
I discovered if I open an xml file that was created with a dotnet dataset, and I edit it in XML Notepad, the schema information is just deleted out of the xml file. Is there a good editor that will not do this? Derek ...

Lineseparator in XML file to split long XSL to parts
I would like to but XSL clauses to XML file and retrieve XSL clauses with keys. How can I separate XSL clause into different XSL rows? I mean something like below. This in XML <add key="Key1" value="<xsl:value-of select="/VARIABLE/>" <xsl:choose> <xsl:when test="ORDER_NUMBER == ''> <value>Y</value> </xsl:when> <xsl:otherwise> <value>N</v...

app.config xml file and application blocks
Can a class library have a app.config file. Reason for asking is that the microsoft application blocks all read from myApp.exe.config. How can you use the application blocks if you do not have an app.config file. Wish someone from microsoft would answer this, I am at a loss. thanks grs Yes, a class library can have .config file, but you have to do the copying and naming by hand. Visual Studio only renames and copies app.config files automatically for you. As you already found, that behavior is not really documented and the expected usage is to add settings for the application blocks to t...