Serious problem with NET client and Axis web service

This is a repost, with additional information.  I have a Net 2.0 client (C#
Winform) calling an Axis web service. The .NET client can authenticate,
create requested objects, serialize the objects and send.  These are received
without issue on the Axis server.  The .NET client can also receive responses
from the Axis web service when the response is a single value type (long,
string, etc), or an array of value types.

However if an object is returned, it always appears empty.  Looking at
NetMon, the response values appear in the SOAP message, but it seems that
..Net has trouble
deserializing the SOAP message into an object. Any ideas?

Thanks,

0
DavidR (20)

"David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a repost, with additional information.  I have a Net 2.0 client
> (C#
> Winform) calling an Axis web service. The .NET client can authenticate,
> create requested objects, serialize the objects and send.  These are
> received
> without issue on the Axis server.  The .NET client can also receive
> from the Axis web service when the response is a single value type (long,
> string, etc), or an array of value types.
>
> However if an object is returned, it always appears empty.  Looking at
> NetMon, the response values appear in the SOAP message, but it seems that
> .Net has trouble
> deserializing the SOAP message into an object. Any ideas?

I've had this happen when there is a namespace mismatch. .NET is expecting
namespace "B", but namespace "A" arrives instead. Since it didn't receive
anything from namespace "B", it returns you what it got from namespace "B" -
nothing!

John

0
John
8/16/2006 5:53:29 PM
John,

Thanks for the quick response.  So the object I am creating, with the
definition of:
public class WorkRequestTO     Member of WSClass.s307a68
isn't filled because what comes in on the SOAP message is
xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com:>.  I this correct?  How
can I fix this without adapting the namespace of the Axis service?

Thanks,

David

"John Saunders" wrote:

> "David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a repost, with additional information.  I have a Net 2.0 client
> > (C#
> > Winform) calling an Axis web service. The .NET client can authenticate,
> > create requested objects, serialize the objects and send.  These are
> > received
> > without issue on the Axis server.  The .NET client can also receive
> > from the Axis web service when the response is a single value type (long,
> > string, etc), or an array of value types.
> >
> > However if an object is returned, it always appears empty.  Looking at
> > NetMon, the response values appear in the SOAP message, but it seems that
> > .Net has trouble
> > deserializing the SOAP message into an object. Any ideas?
>
> I've had this happen when there is a namespace mismatch. .NET is expecting
> namespace "B", but namespace "A" arrives instead. Since it didn't receive
> anything from namespace "B", it returns you what it got from namespace "B" -
> nothing!
>
> John

0
DavidR (20)
8/16/2006 6:26:02 PM
I found this, which might be helpful.

The SOAP request contains the following:
xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com>.

The following was in the reference.cs file:

 [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
RequestNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
ResponseNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)]
        [return:
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("getWorkRequestStatusReturn")]
        public WorkRequestStatusTO getWorkRequestStatus(long workRequestId) {
            object[] results = this.Invoke("getWorkRequestStatus", new
object[] {
                        workRequestId});
            return ((WorkRequestStatusTO)(results[0]));

"David R" wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  So the object I am creating, with the
> definition of:
> public class WorkRequestTO     Member of WSClass.s307a68
> isn't filled because what comes in on the SOAP message is
> xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com:>.  I this correct?  How
> can I fix this without adapting the namespace of the Axis service?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> "John Saunders" wrote:
>
> > "David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > This is a repost, with additional information.  I have a Net 2.0 client
> > > (C#
> > > Winform) calling an Axis web service. The .NET client can authenticate,
> > > create requested objects, serialize the objects and send.  These are
> > > received
> > > without issue on the Axis server.  The .NET client can also receive
> > > from the Axis web service when the response is a single value type (long,
> > > string, etc), or an array of value types.
> > >
> > > However if an object is returned, it always appears empty.  Looking at
> > > NetMon, the response values appear in the SOAP message, but it seems that
> > > .Net has trouble
> > > deserializing the SOAP message into an object. Any ideas?
> >
> > I've had this happen when there is a namespace mismatch. .NET is expecting
> > namespace "B", but namespace "A" arrives instead. Since it didn't receive
> > anything from namespace "B", it returns you what it got from namespace "B" -
> > nothing!
> >
> > John

0
DavidR (20)
8/16/2006 6:59:01 PM
>I found this, which might be helpful.
>
> The SOAP request contains the following:
> xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com>.
>
> The following was in the reference.cs file:
>
> [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
> RequestNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
> ResponseNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
> Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
> ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)]
>        [return:
> System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("getWorkRequestStatusReturn")]
>        public WorkRequestStatusTO getWorkRequestStatus(long workRequestId)
> {
>            object[] results = this.Invoke("getWorkRequestStatus", new
> object[] {
>                        workRequestId});
>            return ((WorkRequestStatusTO)(results[0]));

The problem might be
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped vs. .Bare. I can't
tell without seeing your response message.  Is the
getWorkRequestStatusReturn element immediately within the SOAP:Body element,
or is there something else around (wrapping) it?

John

0
John
8/17/2006 3:23:56 AM
Every reference I have in the .NET application indicates wrapped.

Here are four items.  The first is the first part of the WDSL down to the
getWorkRequestStatus method.  The second is the VS2005-generated code that
represents this method (showing that wrapped is used).  The third item is the
first part of a successfully returned and read message (an array of strings
of US state names), and the fourth is the SOAP message that I cannot see.

Thanks,

David

ITEM ONE

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<wsdl:definitions xmlns:apachesoap="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap"
xmlns:tns2="http://external.aaa.gov/axis/externalInterface"
xmlns:tns1="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com"
xmlns:impl="http://s1fe034.ba.ad.aaa.gov:8100/axis/services/workRequestService"
xmlns:intf="http://s1fe034.ba.ad.aaa.gov:8100/axis/services/workRequestService"
targetNamespace="http://s1fe034.ba.ad.aaa.gov:8100/axis/services/workRequestService" xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/">
  <wsdl:types>
    <xsd:schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
elementFormDefault="qualified"
targetNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com">
      <xsd:import namespace="http://external.aaa.gov/axis/externalInterface"
/>
      <xsd:element name="getDocument">
        <xsd:complexType>
          <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="documentObjectId" type="xsd:long" />
          </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
      </xsd:element>
      <xsd:element name="getDocumentResponse">
        <xsd:complexType>
          <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="getDocumentReturn"
type="tns2:DocumentDescriptor" />
          </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
      </xsd:element>
      <xsd:element name="getWorkRequestStatus">
        <xsd:complexType>
          <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="workRequestId" type="xsd:long" />
          </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
      </xsd:element>
      <xsd:element name="getWorkRequestStatusResponse">
        <xsd:complexType>
          <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="getWorkRequestStatusReturn"
type="tns2:WorkRequestStatusTO" />
          </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
      </xsd:element>

ITEM TWO - From VS2005

 [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
RequestNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
ResponseNamespace="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com",
Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)]
        [return:
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("getWorkRequestStatusReturn")]
        public WorkRequestStatusTO getWorkRequestStatus(long workRequestId) {
            object[] results = this.Invoke("getWorkRequestStatus", new
object[] {
                        workRequestId});
            return ((WorkRequestStatusTO)(results[0]));

ITEM THREE - SOAP envelope

<?xml.version="1.0".encoding="utf-8"?><soapenv:Envelope.xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/".xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><soapenv:Body><getUSStatesResponse.xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com"><getUSStatesReturn>Alabama</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>Alaska</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>Alaska.and.the.Pacific.Area</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>American.Samoa</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>Arizona</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>Arkansas</getUSStatesReturn><getUSStatesReturn>California</getUSStatesReturn>
xsi:nil="true"/><workRequestFormatCode>16</workRequestFormatCode><workRequestId>1687</workRequestId><workRequestNumber>0608-0001687</workRequestNumber><workRequestOwnerId>2868</workRequestOwnerId><workRequestOwnerName>OC-Controls</workRequestOwnerName><workRequestPriorityCode>75</workRequestPriorityCode><workRequestStatus></workRequestStatus>
xsi:nil="true"/><workRequestStatusCode>79</workRequestStatusCode><workRequestTitle>New
Work Request</workRequestTitle><workRequestType></workRequestType>
xsi:nil="true"/><workRequestTypeCode>116</workRequestTypeCode><workRequestpriority></workRequestpriority>
xsi:nil="true"/></createWorkRequestReturn></createWorkRequestResponse></soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

 ITEM FOUR WorkRequestStatusResponse

<?xml.version="1.0".encoding="utf-8"?><soapenv:Envelope.xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/".xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<soapenv:Body>
<getWorkRequestStatusResponse.xmlns="http://service.external.xxx.xxxsystems.com">
<getWorkRequestStatusReturn>
<closeOutDate></closeOutDate>
<closeOutTxt></closeOutTxt>
<createDate>08/17/2006</createDate>
<dueDate>07/17/2007</dueDate>
<principalContactGroupId>4939</principalContactGroupId>
<principalContactGroupName>DCDISP-OHA-Controls</principalContactGroupName>
<principalContactId>4635</principalContactId>
<principalContactName>Adolph.Ramirez</principalContactName>
<receivedDate>07/17/2006</receivedDate>
<restrictedSw>Y</restrictedSw>
<subjectCategoryCode>1</subjectCategoryCode>
<subjectCategoryDesc>800.Number</subjectCategoryDesc>
<subjectIdentifierCode>1</subjectIdentifierCode>
<subjectIdentifierDesc>General</subjectIdentifierDesc>
<workRequestDescription>This.is.a.new.work.request</workRequestDescription>
<workRequestFormat>E-ail</workRequestFormat>
<workRequestFormatCode>16</workRequestFormatCode>
<workRequestId>992</workRequestId>
<workRequestNumber>0608-000992</workRequestNumber>
<workRequestOwnerId>4939</workRequestOwnerId>
<workRequestOwnerName>DCDISP-OHA-ontrols</workRequestOwnerName>
<workRequestPriorityCode>75</workRequestPriorityCode>
<workRequestStatus>Open</workRequestStatus>
<workRequestStatusCode>79</workRequestStatusCode>
<workRequestTitle>New.Work.Request</workRequestTitle>
<workRequestType>Agreement</workRequestType>
<workRequestTypeCode>116</workRequestTypeCode>
<workRequestpriority>5-ay</workRequestpriority>
</getWorkRequestStatusReturn></getWorkRequestStatusResponse>
</soapenv:Body></soapenv:Envelope>

0
DavidR (20)
8/17/2006 5:05:02 PM
Try either changing the return:
XmlElementAttribute("getWorkRequestStatusResponse") or else changing th
style to Bare.

It seems to me that Wrapped is more for the case where you're returning more
than one element and need something to wrap them in. That's just a personal
preference, though.

John

0
John
8/17/2006 6:05:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both,  but generated the same results.

One strange thing I noticed.  I tried setting a breakpoint on the
auto-generated method getWorkRequestStatus, which is based upon the WSDL.
This method is in the Reference.cs file.  The breakpoint was ignored when
debugging.  Any idea why this might be?

David

"John Saunders" wrote:

> Try either changing the return:
> XmlElementAttribute("getWorkRequestStatusResponse") or else changing th
> style to Bare.
>
> It seems to me that Wrapped is more for the case where you're returning more
> than one element and need something to wrap them in. That's just a personal
> preference, though.
>
> John

0
DavidR (20)
8/17/2006 9:26:02 PM
> Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both,  but generated the same results.
>
> One strange thing I noticed.  I tried setting a breakpoint on the
> auto-generated method getWorkRequestStatus, which is based upon the WSDL.
> This method is in the Reference.cs file.  The breakpoint was ignored when
> debugging.  Any idea why this might be?

Is there a [DebuggerStepThrough] attribute on that method?

John

0
John
8/17/2006 10:43:11 PM
John,

Yes there was.  A handy feature, now that I know about it.   I commented it
out, and was able to look at the Invoke method, which returns an object.
Sure enough, the object was created, as before, but all the properties were
null.

I also saw a problem I had not noticed before, since it did not throw an
error.  On the WDSL, VS2005 is warning on xsd:element (shown below) that
'http://external.aaa.gov/axis/externalInterface:WorkRequestTO' is not
declared.  Could this be the cause, and if so, can I declare this, or does it
need to be done on the server side.?

"John Saunders" wrote:

> "David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both,  but generated the same results.
> >
> > One strange thing I noticed.  I tried setting a breakpoint on the
> > auto-generated method getWorkRequestStatus, which is based upon the WSDL.
> > This method is in the Reference.cs file.  The breakpoint was ignored when
> > debugging.  Any idea why this might be?
>
> Is there a [DebuggerStepThrough] attribute on that method?
>
> John

0
DavidR (20)
8/18/2006 1:06:04 PM
John,

Found the problem, which was, as you initially suggested, a namespace
problem.  Thanks for all your help!

David

"John Saunders" wrote:

> "David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both,  but generated the same results.
> >
> > One strange thing I noticed.  I tried setting a breakpoint on the
> > auto-generated method getWorkRequestStatus, which is based upon the WSDL.
> > This method is in the Reference.cs file.  The breakpoint was ignored when
> > debugging.  Any idea why this might be?
>
> Is there a [DebuggerStepThrough] attribute on that method?
>
> John

0
DavidR (20)
8/18/2006 2:01:02 PM
I'm glad my help helped!

John

> John,
>
> Found the problem, which was, as you initially suggested, a namespace
> problem.  Thanks for all your help!
>
> David
>
> "John Saunders" wrote:
>
>> "David R" <DavidR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the ideas.  I tried both,  but generated the same results.
>> >
>> > One strange thing I noticed.  I tried setting a breakpoint on the
>> > auto-generated method getWorkRequestStatus, which is based upon the
>> > WSDL.
>> > This method is in the Reference.cs file.  The breakpoint was ignored
>> > when
>> > debugging.  Any idea why this might be?
>>
>> Is there a [DebuggerStepThrough] attribute on that method?
>>
>> John

0
John

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Problem with CFTPConnection

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Field Service Calls and Invoices
We use the Service Call modules for repairs in our Stores and have a situation that I'm trying to find a workaround. We have situations where our technicians will pick-up items without prior notification to our dispatchers. All of a sudden we get an invoice and currently we have to track down the charge and then we are forcing a PO into the system from the Service Call in order to properly receive and enter the invoice. Does anyone have other ways to do this and track the information/cost on the Service Call without needing to create a PO after the fact. This is not an applicat...

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Support Services
If you need to activate a POS product after it has already been done, good luck. Microsoft support sucks. I've been on hold for an hour and no one can help re-activate a product after a replaced hard drive.... I've had to re-activate oen station about 4 times, and never had a problem. -- Jason Hunt Advanced Computer Systems > If you need to activate a POS product after it has already been done, > good luck. Microsoft support sucks. I've been on hold for an hour > and no one can help re-activate a product after a replaced hard > drive.... > I've also...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

MS CRM Security Service doesn't start
Hi to all, I have a problem with my CRM 1.2 some days ago I restart the Win2003 server where there is installed CRM, and now the "Microsoft CRM Security Service" doesn't start up!!! What can I do? I have not any event about that!!! Can I re-install the CRM server and restore my sql database? Thank a lot Bey Augusto. I would apply the Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft CRM 1.2 "IGBA75" wrote: > Hi to all, > > I have a problem with my CRM 1.2 some days ago I restart the Win2003 server > where there is installed CRM, and now the "Microsoft CRM Secur...

Printing problem in booklet format

problem opening up program/file

Money deluxe 2007 password problem
When I update my bank account transactions I get a message saying that my account was not updated because my password is incorrect. I then go into account info and have to update my password. I save the update, but then it happens again sporadically when I open Money at later times. Is there a way to fix this glitch? ...

VC++ .NET 2002: error C2509: 'OnPrepareDC' : member function not declared in 'CEg06aView'
Hi all I am learning the OnPrepareDC Function and ShowFont Helper Function from the Ex06a example of the book 'Programming With Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Core Reference' by G. Shepherd with D. Kruglinski. I started my new MFC Project 'Eg06a' from the MFC Wizard and added/edited the OnPrepareDC Function and ShowFont Helper Function in the Eg06aView.cpp and Eg06aView.h files - see the attached files below. When I did 'Build' on my project 'Eg06a', I got the following error: c:\Documents and Settings\Scott H. Chang\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Eg06a\Eg06aVi...

y axis errors
I am using Excel 2000. Text in the y-axis label for a chart is cut off at the end (right-hand extent when viewed horizontally, upper extent when viewed vertically). Additionally, spacing is erroneous when a superscript (e.g. m2 for square metres) is included. This problem was not experienced with earlier versions of Excel. Any suggestions or solutions? Many thanks Pier ...

Difference between Publish and Save As Web Page in Excel 2002
I am trying to find aout the differences between using the Publish button in Save as Web Page and using Save in there. I have seen that when I use Save, it saves the Named ranges as bookmarks where Publish saves them as cell references. Can you tell me why and if there are any other differences I may need to know Hi, when you publish, the result can be viewed as an excel web page, whereas if you "save as web page", it just makes an xml sheet. Save As only allows one sheet in the workbook whereas publish allows more. - mark >-----Original Message----- >I am trying t...

printing problems with memorized reports
We have recently been running into printing problems with our memorized reports. We will print preview a report and it will look fine on screen, then we will send to the printer, and the report print extremely small in the corner of the page. However if we go back in and re-print the report then it will print normal size on the page. We are not making any settings changes at all, and when it does this appears to just be at random. We are printing to an HP laserjet 4000 series printer that is on our network. We've used RMS with the same configuration for approx. 5 years now and ...

How to run ajax implemented .Net 3.5 to an old version 2.0
Hi, I have developed a Web Application in .Net 2008 and implemented <asp:UpdatePanel /> in it. But now I am trying to build it in .Net Version 2.0. But it gives an error -- "Error 1 Unknown server tag 'asp:UpdatePanel' ". I have downloaded earlier version of AjaxControlToolKit, but it does not work. What I have to do to build this code in version 2.0 Thanks and Regard Dg The UpdatePanel is not part of 2.0 or the Ajax Toolkit. This is an additional "Ajax extension for 2.0" download... Also as 3.5 is just 2.0 plus additional stuff, I wo...

Reports and sub-reports problems
Dear Sirs,I have a report with 4 sub-reports.How can it be that 2 sub-reports are showing the data triple.Can someone help?ThanksKlaus I just realized. It's not due to being a subreport - it's already showing on the normal report triple data. It was not before and I did not change anything. I hope that someone can help me.Thanks Klaus"Amateur" wrote:> Dear Sirs,> I have a report with 4 sub-reports.> How can it be that 2 sub-reports are showing the data triple.> Can someone help?> Thanks> Klaus...

connection problems
a popup saying internet explorer cannot diaplay webpage and it is a connection problem -- eummer2010 how does your problem/question pertain to windows update? terri wrote: > a popup saying internet explorer cannot diaplay webpage and it is a > connection problem Hello Terry, Would be nice if you could tell us more information, like what OS you're using, Service Pack, what other security software are you running, if any? etc. IE6 ? IE7 ? IE8 ? Repoяt problems and check for solutions automatically <http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/...