rules, dotnet applications and XML

<xml newbie>

Hi all,

We are considering using XML to specify rules, policies. This XML file
will be used to generate source code in either managed C++ or C#,
which will be implemention of API to be used by different applications
program (written in .NET language, for this dicussion). You can
contribute your ideas.

Time for an example. A company or a government body has lot of
policies which can be captured in the form of IF-THEN rules. These
rules needs to be accomodated in application program(s).

o Imagine an application program which processes visa applications,
social security etc.

o Imagine a application program at shopping mall counter (rules
related to discount etc.)

Bad thing about them (from the point of view of developers writing
application whose behaviour depends on those rules) is that they
change frequently. So if developer code them with rest of the
application in a manner that they are tightly coupled with rest of the
application, too bad ! Because changing code (when rules get changed)
might cause unexpected effects.

Common approach to deal with this is to separate IF-THEN rules from
application and having an API (so separate library takes care of
implementation) to be used by application(s).

Thats precisely what we are planning to do.

[ Rules Specification ]----> [Library in C++/C#]

                        |---> [ API ]

                       [ Application program ]

Let me get to the point. We are planning to have rule specification as
an XML file. Why ?

o We assume that it will be easy to develop a GUI to create/edit that
XML file, even some third party GUIs say M$ Excel 2003 might be used.

o We assume that govt orgs (specially US gov) will publish rules in
English and XML as well, for app programmer which means just copiing
new XML file and replacing old one. (making sure of authenticity
before go live ! )

Your comments are required, especially on XML part.
If anybody has already worked with such projects please write
something
TIA

Need Simple XML help in VB.Net or C#
Hello and God Bless, I am stumped trying to get a simple xml database replacing certain data with other data programmatically. This is what my xml looks like. **************************************** <Root_Element> <Topic index="1"> <Sub_Topic> <Notes></Notes> <Notes></Notes> </Sub_Topic> </Topic> <Topic index="2"> <Sub_Topic> <Notes></Notes> <Notes></Notes> <Notes></Notes> </Sub_Topic> <Sub_Topic> <Notes></Notes> ...

SendInput to a window belonging to another application thread
I'm trying to develop a simple application that can send input to a window belonging to another application thread, such as the microsoft on screen keyboard. The matter is that I don't understand how to know what was the last active window to which send the input from my dialog application. Looking on internet I've found a simple application called "Typematic" but it hide the application dialog before use the SendInput() api, it works well but I wish to obtain the same effect without hide the application dialog as the on screen keyboard does. How I could do it? Ho...

XML Generator
Hello all, I'd like to probe the community for some insight, if I may. I am in the planning stages of developing an XML generator for my workplace. Our site has an internal news system which stores news items as database entries. Our head organization has requested that all branches make an rss or xml file available for syndication on their central news site. I'm curious as to what plan of attack would be best suited for this application. I'm working in VS.NET 2003, Windows 2000, SQL Server 2000. Web service, ASPNET page? How about caching? Any thoughts or insights would be hel...

Server Side Rules
Where do I find any rules that may have been placed on my Exchange server regarding junk mail filtering, redirection of messages, etc? Thanks in advance. ...

Need NEGATIVE rule help
I want to have a rule that looks for the ABSENCE of a word. Ie, if a message does NOT contain a keyword, do something special. Outlook 2003, Sp2 Thanks... Bob S. "Bob Sisson" <bob@inspectionsbybob.com> wrote in message news:45311162$0$5909$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com... >I want to have a rule that looks for the ABSENCE of a word. > > Ie, if a message does NOT contain a keyword, do something special. > > Outlook 2003, Sp2 > > Thanks... > > Bob S. > Do the action EXCEPT if <test_condition> So instead of looking for the absence of ...

Idiots amd Noddys guide to Visual Basic for applications #2
Thanks Pal, Anyone, no any other good self starting web sites for Visual Basic Applications. Real noddy style at 1st, slowly building up. Thanks in advance, G -- grphillips ------------------------------------------------------------------------ grphillips's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15951 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275739 ...

How to apply an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users
Does anyone know a way to automatically distribute an Outlook filtering rule to multiple users' machines without having to go and set it up on each machine manually? We are running Outlook 2000 and 2002 on Windows XP, with Exchange 2003 server. Thanks for your help in advance. ...

xml document format for excel
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of xml documentation for excel. I need to be able to produce xml files that are readable by excel and would like a doc set that defines all of the xml tags/params for excel If I understand you correctly, I think this is what you're looking for: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexcl2k2/html/odc_xlsmlinss.asp John Walkenbach For Excel tips, macros, & downloads... http://j-walk.com/ss "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093801c3a301$9483db70$a001280a@phx.gbl......

Using a form to add records to XML document
Hi, I haveto use VB to create a form that reads an exisiting XML file= and then allows updates via the VB form=2E My problem is that I was able to get VB to read a simple XML file= (people=2EXML), but I'm having problems figuring out how to get VB= to read a more complex XML file (people2=2Exml) and then use= additional text boxes on the same form to add more family= members=2E Each family can have from 1 to 5 members=2E I've pasted the working code below that read people=2Exml but would appreciate any assistance regarding people2=2Exml Thanks much, kyma people=2Exml --- SIM...

Application-defined or Object-defined-error when changing color in
I have tried the following different approaches to chaning the background color of a cell in an Excell 2007 VBA module and have gotten Application-defined or Object-defined-error each time. I can display the color value I just can't seem to be able to change it. Sheet1.Cells(1, 2).Interior.Color = RGB(126, 255, 126) Worksheets("sheet1").Cells("A1").Interior.ColorIndex = 3 ActiveSheet.Cells(Cell).Interior.ColorIndex = 255 Range("A1").Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 1 Any help is welcomed. Thank you in advance for your help. hi t...

"people or distribution list" not working in MS Outlook Rules
Suddenly, when I try to create a new Rule in MS Outlook using the "from someone" specification, the "from people or distribution list" doesn't accept any entry ("move it to the specified folder" does accept entries). The "specific words in the subject" specification works fine. I ran the "detect & repair" utility in the menu, but it didn't help. I'm using MS Outlook 2003 SP2. Any ideas? ...

Moving email folders, accounts, rules etc from Outlook 2003 to 200
Please would you be willing to help me [a raw beginner] to retrieve email folders, the emails in the folders, accounts, rules etc from harddrive with Outlook 2003 and Windows XP, and move them successfully to new laptop with Outlook 2007 [Windows 7]. So far I have 1. searched for all pst files on old harddrive and copied all of them to memory stick using another XP laptop. Could not successfully do with the new laptop due to "access" issues. 2. imported pst files to outlook 2007--contacts folders arrived, calendar arrived, some of inbox, some of deleted, some of sen...

Office applications should allow me to remove recent files
When I click the office button in Microsoft Word, the recently opened files are shown. I would like to be able to remove documents from the list, for example by right-clicking on a file name and selecting "remove from this list," as is done for recently run programs in Windows Explorer. There are other people looking for this functionality, as shown by the many workarounds (e.g. editing the registry as documented at http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/13/how-to-clear-and-delete-recent-documents-list-in-office-2007-word-excel-powerpoint/ This applies to other Office ...

Outlook 2002 Rules query
I receive every so often an email detailing job vacancies. Sometimes the email will have no jobs in it. What I want to do is to set up a rule such that if the phrase "We have found the following 0 jobs" occurs in the email, it is deleted. I can't see how to do that, as the action to delete is *before* the "except with certain words" option, and because of the nature of the phrase, I can't do it the other way round, i.e. say "delete the email unless it has this phrase in it" because the number may vary from 1 to anything up to 10 or more. Anyone any...

Writing to windows registry using XML....
Dear All, I have query regarding the registry. Is it possible to write it to windows registry using the XML? if yes then what is the API or tag used to write it. I am just a beginner in XML. thanks in advance. Regards, Umesh kbnumesh@gmail.com wrote: > I have query regarding the registry. > > Is it possible to write it to windows registry using the XML? > if yes then what is the API or tag used to write it. Why do you want to use XML when dealing with the Windows registry? It is not based on XML so I don't see that XML helps. The .NET framework 2.0 has this class <...

Outlook Client with 2nd email
We have CRM 3.0 deployed, with the Exchange router running and rules deployed. The router seems to be working correctly on my exchange email, only sending those emails to CRM that have the CRM tag. However, I also have a Yahoo POP email delivering mail to my inbox, and the Server side Outlook rule sends every Yahoo mail I receive to the CRM Router mailbox? Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, any idea how to modify the settings to keep this from happening? That's by design in 3.0, all inbound email to a CRM users mailbox is copied to the router mailbox. Ian "Msullivan&...

Conversion from HTML to XML
Hello every body Is there any technique to parse a HTML file for the values in the different attributes with the exception of the HTML tags. Or is there a way to convert HTML to XML. regards ...

How do you serialize a blank value in XML to GP using eConnect?
Hi, I'm trying to save a customer address with a blank ADDRESS2 field to our Great Plains database using eConnect 10 for GP 10. ADDRESS2 has a value in the database, but the user wants to set it to blank (delete it). I update the object, then serialize it, and pass it eConnect. The problem is that the XmlSerializer class serializes only non-empty fields in the eConnect.Serialization.taCreateCustomerAddress_ItemsTaCreateCustomerAddress object to XML. And fields not present in the XML are not overwritten in the database (explained here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625...

create shortcut of a application icon through .bat file,
hi, How can i create shortcut of a application icon through .bat file, Vijay wrote: > hi, > > How can i create shortcut of a application icon through .bat file, I presume you will store the bat file in a folder.. Let us assume the file is called mybat.bat Open note pad ================= cd \ cd \"program files" cd \ program.exe ================= Save as mybat .bat Make a short cut to the desktop S When i run bat file , bat file should create shortcut on desktop , and shortcut should have valid path, it should open ...

Rule that sort an attachment
How do I make a rule in Outlook that sort a message into a special map depending on the name of an attachment "qwery" <qwery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A15F35CB-3575-46C2-B394-2A0B1DF17697@microsoft.com... > How do I make a rule in Outlook that sort a message into a special map > depending on the name of an attachment Outlook's built-in rules cannot check the name of an attachment. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Load XML to DataSet Problem

Rule conflict with the exchange 2000
Hi i have win 2000 domain , i have exchange 2000 installed on it , the client have win xp , and office xp , my problem is that there is one user have made rules on the outlook in a rong wasy which couse a problem that every time he open his email profile from any workstation the following message appear >>>>server-request client action , error move copy , unable to create dest msg<<<< so how can i redo that rules , or solve that problem to not have this message appear again every time that user open his outlook profile from any computer i'll appreciate an...

Rules perception of subject
When a rule contains the condition "Where subject contains XYZ", what precisely is meant by "Subject". If I look in the properies of an inbound mail, I see the subject starts with the string ?EUC-KR? which is probably a directive to display the subject in Korean characters. Since I won't be able to read it, I'd like to create a rule to discard it. Such rules never work. Clearly, what the rule sees in the subject and what the proerties say is in the subject differ. Is there a mechanism which would allow me to see what the rules see in the subject? -- Ste...

outlook 2002
Is there a way to print out the e-mail rules that I have implemented. They've grown to a huge number so I would like to prune and consolidate them. -- Bill Mitchell No, not possible. But you can export them so you can restore them later. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Bill Mitchell" <training@jcnypd.org> wrote in message news:PcWBc.245655$hY.223933@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > Is there a way to print out the e-mail rules that I have imple...

Read XML file
Hi Here's my problem. Actually I have an XML file like this : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ApplicationSettings> <Section Name="Transfert"> <Key Name="m_blnTransfRoleBD" Value="True" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfRoleHyper" Value="False" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfCRBD" Value="False" Comment=""/> <Key Name="m_blnTransfCRHyper" Value="False" Comment=""/> &...