Reading XML Encoding errors

I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in the
given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
After some research the character in question is the copyright character. My
question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
files. I want to be able to catch this error
and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output a
copy
that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and all?

Thanks for any help
AGP

"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
> files. I want to be able to catch this error
> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
> not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
> it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.

--
 M S   Herfried K. Wagner
M V P  <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

AGP wrote:
> I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in the
> given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
> After some research the character in question is the copyright character. My
> question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my older
> files. I want to be able to catch this error
> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file does
> not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to interpret
> it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.

Without a BOM, without an XML declaration (and without any protocol like
HTTP declaring an encoding( an XML parser assumes UTF-8 so I doubt that
"enforcing" UTF-8 solves the problem.
You will need to find out which encoding those XML documents have, then
you can "enforce" that for instance doing e.g.
   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create(New
StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.GetEncoding("encoding-name")))

> As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
> originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output a
> copy
> that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and all?

Yes, should be possible by passing an XmlReader reading the XML to the
WriteNode method of an XmlWriter that uses the XmlWriterSettings with
Indent = True.
So pseudo code is e.g.
   Dim WriterSettings As New XmlWriterSettings()
   WriterSettings.Indent = True
   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create("input.xml")
     Using Writer As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("output.xml",
WriterSettings)
       Writer.WriteNode(Reader, False)
     End Using
   End Using

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hirf-spam-me-here@gmx.at> wrote in message
> "AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
>> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
>> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
>> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
>> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
>> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my
>> older files. I want to be able to catch this error
>> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file
>> does not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to
>> interpret it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.
>
> IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.

ok so then why do i get the error? I did a test and loaded the XML into
notepad
and then saved that file as Text UTF-8 and it seems that file is read
correctly. So my
question is why does the original not load properly?

AGP

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> AGP wrote:
>> I am programming an XML reader in VB.NET 2005 and it works fairly well.
>> Once in a while though I encounter an old XML file without the header
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> It craps out on the Load with an error similar to "Invalid character in
>> the given encoding. Line 3, position 5475070".
>> After some research the character in question is the copyright character.
>> My question is how can i force the reader to assume UTF-8?
>> It seems like my other newer files do not have this problem, just my
>> older files. I want to be able to catch this error
>> and then attempt to load the file. It also seems like this older file
>> does not have a BOM so Im assuming the XML reader has no idea how to
>> interpret it. Im hoping i can force a UTF-8 read of the XML file.
>

> Without a BOM, without an XML declaration (and without any protocol like
> HTTP declaring an encoding( an XML parser assumes UTF-8 so I doubt that
> "enforcing" UTF-8 solves the problem.
> You will need to find out which encoding those XML documents have, then
> you can "enforce" that for instance doing e.g.
>   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create(New
> StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.GetEncoding("encoding-name")))

the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
copyright character.
Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

>> As a secondary question,  it seems like these older XML files were
>> originally written out as one or two huge lines. is there a way to output
>> a copy
>> that is more user readable in the node-type format with line breaks and
>> all?
>
> Yes, should be possible by passing an XmlReader reading the XML to the
> WriteNode method of an XmlWriter that uses the XmlWriterSettings with
> Indent = True.
> So pseudo code is e.g.
>   Dim WriterSettings As New XmlWriterSettings()
>   WriterSettings.Indent = True
>   Using Reader As XmlReader = XmlReader.Create("input.xml")
>     Using Writer As XmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create("output.xml",
> WriterSettings)
>       Writer.WriteNode(Reader, False)
>     End Using
>   End Using

ill try this.

AGP

"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> schrieb:
>> IIRC UTF-8 is the default encoding for XML files.
>
> ok so then why do i get the error? I did a test and loaded the XML into
> notepad
> and then saved that file as Text UTF-8 and it seems that file is read
> correctly. So my
> question is why does the original not load properly?

Maybe it's stored in an encoding other than UTF-8, Windows ANSI, for
example.

--

AGP wrote:

> the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
> copyright character.

The copyright character is part of Unicode so there is nothing
"non-standard" about it in terms of Unicode or UTF-8. If you get an
error then the document is not UTF-8 encoded. If you get the error for
that character only then the document is perhaps Windows-1252 encoded.

> Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
> file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
0
mahotrash (1777)
10/1/2007 12:41:47 PM
On Oct 1, 7:41 am, Martin Honnen <mahotr...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> AGP wrote:
> > the encoding is UTF-8. the only "non-standard" character in the file is the
> > copyright character.
>
> The copyright character is part of Unicode so there is nothing
> "non-standard" about it in terms of Unicode or UTF-8. If you get an
> error then the document is not UTF-8 encoded. If you get the error for
> that character only then the document is perhaps Windows-1252 encoded.
>
> > Ive loaded the file into Notepad and saved as Text UTF-8 and the reuslting
> > file loads just fine. So im missing something and not really sure what.

>         Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>        http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
If the original file comes from a Zip file and I extract it, that
would not change its encoding correct? it should retain its original
encoding?
Once I figure this out, how can i load the XML file without altering
the original? I eventually want to load it, read it, parse it, then
output it to another XML file, but at this point I cant even load it.

AGP

AGP

0
sindizzy1 (1)
10/1/2007 10:29:59 PM
DIOS wrote:

> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?

Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no
way to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should
be an XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not
UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoded.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
> DIOS wrote:
>
>> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
>> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
>
> Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no way
> to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should be an
> XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not UTF-8 or
> UTF-16 encoded.

I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may end
up
with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a plain
old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
declaration then
the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
why
I still get an error.

AGP wrote:

> I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may end
> up
> with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
> the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a plain
> old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
> declaration then
> the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
> why
> I still get an error.

Try whether using
   New StreamReader("file.xml", Encoding.Default)
works with those files.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
"AGP" <sindizzy.pak@softhome.net> wrote in message

> "Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> DIOS wrote:
>>
>>> That makes sense to me but I'm still struggling with the questions...
>>> How would I determine what encoding is used on this file?
>>
>> Ask the author of the XML document how he/she encoded it, there is no way
>> to check that programmatically in general, that is why there should be an
>> XML declaration declaring the encoding if the document is not UTF-8 or
>> UTF-16 encoded.
>>

> I will ask but the source could be from a variety of providers so I may
> end
> up
> with no concrete answer as to whats used for encoding. However i did open
> the file in Notepad and added the XML declaration and then just did a
> plain
> old save and the file still errors out. But in my mind of there is no
> declaration then
> the functions assume a UTF-8 correct? But not sure why if this is the case
> why
> I still get an error.

i finally got a hold of the provider and sure enough as you guys stated
there was one character
that was written in the wrong encoding. so when the XML reader assumes a
UTF-8 and encounters
this one character (an ISO character) it errors out. Thanks for all the
advice.

AGP

Password error when e-mailing a spreadsheet.
I receive this error when attempting to e-mail a spreadsheet (by clicking 'Send this sheet' in Excel): "A sheet in the workbook you are trying to save is password protected. Password protected sheets cannot be saved in the HTML format. To save this file in HTML, you must first remove the password." Is there a workaround or solution for this error that will allow me to e-mail a password protected spreadsheet from within Excel? Thank you. Send it as an attachment, but send it as a *.xls file--a real workbook???? swellett wrote: > > I receive this error when at...

Error Message 04-25-07
Hi all, I am using a module to lookup records in my database. The module allows an unbound box to look up records by matching the record to the text typed in the box. I am using cboFindAsUType and Access 2000. The problem is that the module is used in 2 different forms and brings up this error in only 1 form. Error accessing fill. Network connection may have been lost. The entire database and all records are on my computer and until yesterday worked fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Byron This sounds like a really nasty bug in the early release of Access 2000. ...

Error message with Outlook 2007
I am running into problems with some of my users with previews. The error message I am getting is This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the previewer. To open the file double-click it. I found out the problem. Uninstall google desktop.. Just as an FYI "Joe" <josephadeluca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:40EFABD0-33C0-449A-A48E-75CD67B8C648@microsoft.com... > I am running into problems with some of my users with previews. The error > message I am getting is > This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the previewer. To > ope...

Upgrading to newest money money updates... errors..
I've been using Money 2005 for a month or so... I decided to switch which computer I use it at at home. Just yesterday I think was the last update that asked me to back up my file. Now, I've installed the program on a new computer we got and everytime it tries to download the latest money update it crashes when it goes to install it. It says I dont have access to the file or that it may be 'read only' or not enough disk space (needs 100 megs). I can use the file perfect on the orginal computer, it's not marked read only, and there's over 40GB of space available....

Keep getting this Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Any suggestions on how to fix this error? Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Fw: ' Server: 'smtp.gmail.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): Yes "Poodlenation" <Poodlenation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5FED1D7-835F-4BFE-B7E7-D81D05696967@microsoft.com... > Any suggestions on how to fix this error? > > Your server has unexpectedly terminat...

Messages being marked as read, when they haven't been
Hello, A few users lately have been reporting that they are receiving mail already marked as read. It seems to be happening regularly (several times a day) to 3 users out of about 40. I can't find anything unusual with their outlook or exchange settings. Has anyone seen this before? It could be someone else accessing their mail but that seems very unlikely in this situation. Is there a method in exchange for fine grained logging of mailbox activity? Like who accessed what, when, from what IP, etc. If this is a bug or configuration problem .. I'm clueless. Help! cheers t. On 7 Jul...

Windows Server 2008 Installation Error
Hi , I am trying to install WinServer 2008 checked build x86 in my computer but I get following error when I put the key: Windows Server 2008 Installation Error: Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted. i restart the installation but the problem happens again. any fix for this? Thanks, Are you booting from the installation media? -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "dfrg" wrote: &g...

Error starting
Hi, when i try to connect to the CRM i get the following error: errorhandler.aspx?errNum=0x80040E4D ...

ERROR 1053 when strating CRM 1.2 on Windows 2003
When strating the MSCRM Security Service I get the following error. ERROR 1053: THe service did not respond to the strat or control request in a timly fashion. We have just installed CRM prior to migrating it from a 2000 server. Any sygestions on what could be causing this ?? Thanks ...

[ANN] New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio
Announcing: New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 contains a completely new XML Text Editor, built on top of the core text editor provided by Visual Studio. It is entirely written in C# and leverages all the cool stuff provided by the System.Xml ..NET assembly. The XML editor provides support for editing XML and DTD content, including special support for XSD and XSL and includes the following handy features: a.. Full syntax coloring for all XML and DTD syntax. b.. Well formedness checking while you type, with red squiggles and error list. c.. Intel...

Saving error on network
When I open a word or excel file on network (mapping drive), when I tried to Save As a new file (On network drive as well), the errors occur. Any one know what the error means? +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 1.JPG | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4148 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- ryanlcs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ryanlcs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/memb...

Error that prevents Copy Worksheet to another Tab
When I try to copy a worksheet as another tab in the same file or to another excel file, I get the error listed below. I can move the worksheet, I just can not copy it. Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file ‘C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFRE~1.JEF|LOCALS~1\TEMP”. There are several possible reasons: • The file name or path does not exist. • The file is being used by another program. • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook. Bullet point one has not meaning since at this point I am not trying to open a file. The program has not problem opening fi...

Run Time error When Outlook XP starts in WXP
I just upgraded my Dell PII 400 from W2000 SP4 to WXP SP1. I was having a lot of problems with Outlook XP (all updates applied) crashing multiple times while in use, which was 1 reason for the upgrade. Now when I start Outlook, most times I get a message box entitled: 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' with the text: 'Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE abnormal program termination.' When I click OK, Outlook closes. The next time, it starts OK, but has to scan the Personal folder for errors. Fixes? Britt Dickson -- "In an era o...

can not accses my email i get Error Number: 0x800CCC32
Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs /hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Authorization Required', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC32 abe <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. > Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs > /hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server > Response: 'Authorization Required', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): ...

content conversion errors in Exch 2003
Hello, I am getting the following errors in Exch 2003 when receiving emails from a client who is running Boldon James Enterprise Mail 3 (3.6.1 update 2). I have the patch MS04-002. Any ideas what is going on and how to resolve it? Thanks Jon Global domain identifier (Country, ADMD, PRMD) in first Trace Information of message C=gb;A= ;P=hmg+jon-dev;L=itcuser:267750:20040513134619 does not match MTSID value. [MTA XFER-IN 13 40] (12) Object 0600003E received from entity /DC=UK/DC=MIL/DC=TS/DC=DIS/CN=CONFIGURATION/CN=SERVICES/CN=MICROSOFT EXCHANGE/CN=DISEXCHANGE/CN=ADMINISTRATIVE GROUPS/CN=F...

CRM mail router marking e-mails as read
Hello all I have a couple of questions regarding the CRM E-mail router for V3 Incoming emails into Outlook (with CRM desktop client) are getting marked as read before they actually are. Is this by design? Is so, is there a config setting somewhere that can change this behavior Andy comments or suggestions would gratefully received I assume the outlook client has the rules applied for the exchange connector. The action of sending the mail to the crm exchange sync mailbox appears to mark the email as read -- ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery...

user flooded with "not read" receipts from two years ago!
Today (9/14/2006) I have a user who just got about 200 "Not Read" receipts from emails originally sent from 11/15/2004 to 12/17/2004. From all kinds of internal recipients, and interestingly, they all say email was deleted without being read on 8/22/2006 at 8:16 AM. Running Exchange 2003, user client is Outlook 2003. Don't (consciously) have any mailbox management policies. Only thing I can think of is that about that time (8/22/2006) I was doing a restore to a recovery storage group. Don't think that should have mattered, and heck, why today? Thanks for any poin...

TreeView XML Question
Hi Guys, I have different pages in ASP.NET.And i have a treeview that populates XML that i use as the MENU. Is it possible to have one asp.net page but populating different XML to the mENU? Any ideas? ...

Error message in Outlook 2002
I receive the following error message when opening Outlook 2002 connected to an Exchange Server (2000). This has only begun after trying (unsuccessfully) to sync only my calendar with my new Palm. "Could not install the custom actions. A required action was not successful due to an unspecified error." I get this error twice before Outlook will open. Thanks fo rany help! ...

syntax error (at stored proc)?
Hi, I am not sure what is the issue. I got following error. "Incorrect syntax near '@Param'." Bottom is the stored procedure. --------------------------------------------------------- CREATE PROC [dbo].[spCreateUser] @Param nvarchar(50) AS BEGIN CREATE USER @Param FOR LOGIN @Param END --------------------------------------------------------- I would appreciate if you let me know. Thanks. You cannot use parameters/variables in the CREATE USER statement. To accomplish that you would need to use dynamic SQL. -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.co...

Exchange 2003/Outlook2003 Receive Error
Has any ever seen, and fixed the following error when Outlook 2003 is trying to receive data from Exchange 2003. "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" I'm not sure exactly what broke it, but this is on a test rig. Uninstalled deleted directories and reinstall Exchange. Client side, happens to three out or three test workstations. Tried removing and recreating profiles. Just out of things to try. Thanks Larry Warnat Turn off cached mode and see if it goes away. If so it i...

error changing data type
I have a 500-MB access 2002 database with several numeric fields of type Double. I'm trying to convert the double fields to decimal fields. I get the following error when saving the table after applying the field change: Microsoft Access can't change the data type. There isn't enough disk space or memory. I have 9 GB free on my hard drive, and I have 512 MB of RAM. What do I need to do to convert these fields? Thanks. I forgot to mention that I'm running Access 2002 sp2. Copy the table without carrying the data across, creating an empty table. Make the changes in...

FRx Printer Error
We're trying to change a printer in FRX; but get the error: Error: 0. Occured in: PrintCommonDialog() I did find an earlier thread on this; but the solution did not work.. This is for FRx 6.7 SP10 and GP10 All GP users are Terminal Server Users. Any ideas? Willwonka, I suggest you initially try resolving this issue by visiting KB article 931722 and see which cause may apply to your situation. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "willwonka" wrote: > We're trying to change a print...

How to generate dynamic XML from aspx page
Dear Friends, I was using the below code in ASP to dynamically generate XML from a SQL Query Does anyone knows how can I migrate this code to VB and ASPX? Regards Robson Machado Response.ContentType = "text/xml" Response.Write "<?xml version='1.0' ?>" dim RS, CN set CN = server.CreateObject("adodb.connection") set RS = server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset") CN.ConnectionString = strConnect CN.Open RS.Open SQLStmt,cn Response.Write "<ROOT>" Response.Write RS2XML(RS,"RESULT") Response.Write "</R...

Error on Navigation Bar 05-07-04
On one of my client PCs the navigation bar does not work correctly. After two or three clicks on the bar I got the following error; yet the GoTo in the menu bar is working fine. Line: 69 Char: 4 Error: Permission denied Code: 0 URL: http://w-mscrm/bar_bottom.aspx?startPage=Home Please help!.. I am receiving this error too, any help would be appreciated! ...