problems compiling xsd in .Net 2003

Hi,

I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same
folder:
	<xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" />
	<xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" />
They all have the same
 targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
 xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"

When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile Inc_B.xsd
- I receive the following error:
 Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'.

I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd' as a schema to validate incoming xml files -
but as I cannot compile it - validation fails as Inc_B cannot find type
definitions from the other two files.

Could you please help?

Thanks in advance,

Sergey.

Includes and Imports are resolved relative to the current schema document.
Are they present in the same folder as the parent schema?

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:E4A9425D-2BFC-48E8-9E65-A691BACC0579@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same
> folder:
> <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" />
> <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" />
> They all have the same
>  targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
>  xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
>  xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>
> When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile
Inc_B.xsd
> - I receive the following error:
>  Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'.
>
> I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd' as a schema to validate incoming xml files -
> but as I cannot compile it - validation fails as Inc_B cannot find type
> definitions from the other two files.
>
> Could you please help?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sergey.

0
someone1 (389)
10/19/2005 5:21:43 PM
Zafar,

Yes - they are - I mentioned that in the first sentence..

I may try to explain what I am trying to do:

1. On my website clients need to upload their xml files.  Depending on the
client login different schemas should apply.

2. On the server side I need to check whether the file being uploaded is
valid according to my schema (not necessarily the one in the document) - I
add the required schema to the XmlValidationReader.

3. If file passes validation - I can store the info in the database.

The only problem - I cannot COMPILE and hence -validate against added schema
(If I specify that same schema in the document - the document validates just
fine).

"Zafar Abbas" wrote:

> Includes and Imports are resolved relative to the current schema document.
> Are they present in the same folder as the parent schema?
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:E4A9425D-2BFC-48E8-9E65-A691BACC0579@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same
> > folder:
> > <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" />
> > <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" />
> > They all have the same
> >  targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
> >  xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
> >  xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
> >
> > When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile
> Inc_B.xsd
> > - I receive the following error:
> >  Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'.
> >
> > I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd' as a schema to validate incoming xml files -
> > but as I cannot compile it - validation fails as Inc_B cannot find type
> > definitions from the other two files.
> >
> > Could you please help?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Sergey.

I managesd to compile in VS 2003 command-line utility - by running xsd from
within the directory where xsd files are.

Still cannot compile schema in code - it errors with "Cannot resolve
schemaLocation attribute" message.

I use the following code to add schema to XmlValidatingReader:
using System.IO;
using System.Xml;
using System.Xml.Schema;
string schemaFielName = this.Server.MapPath("~/schemas/Inc_B.xsd");
XmlSchema sch = XmlSchema.Read(new StreamReader(schemaFielName), new
ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema));
sch.Compile(new ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema), new
XmlUrlResolver));
if (sch.IsCompiled)
{
    XmlValidatingReader reader = new XmlValidatingReader(new
XmlTextReader(this.Request.Files[0].InputStream));
    reader.XmlResolver = new XmlUrlResolver();
    reader.Schemas.Add(sch);
    reader.ValidationEventHandler += new
ValidationEventHandler(this.validateXml);
    while(reader.Read());
}
private void validateSchema(object sender, Validation?EventArgs e)
{
    Console.Write(e.Message);   // I put a breakpoint here
}

What did I do wrong?
I have tried to set up sch.SourceUri to either physical path or Url just
before sch.Compile - same result...

Please HELP!!!

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" wrote:

> Zafar,
>
> Yes - they are - I mentioned that in the first sentence..
>
> I may try to explain what I am trying to do:
>
> 1. On my website clients need to upload their xml files.  Depending on the
> client login different schemas should apply.
>
> 2. On the server side I need to check whether the file being uploaded is
> valid according to my schema (not necessarily the one in the document) - I
> add the required schema to the XmlValidationReader.
>
> 3. If file passes validation - I can store the info in the database.
>
> The only problem - I cannot COMPILE and hence -validate against added schema
> (If I specify that same schema in the document - the document validates just
> fine).
>
> "Zafar Abbas" wrote:
>
> > Includes and Imports are resolved relative to the current schema document.
> > Are they present in the same folder as the parent schema?
> >
> > "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > in message news:E4A9425D-2BFC-48E8-9E65-A691BACC0579@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same
> > > folder:
> > > <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" />
> > > <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" />
> > > They all have the same
> > >  targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
> > >  xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd"
> > >  xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
> > >
> > > When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile
> > Inc_B.xsd
> > > - I receive the following error:
> > >  Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'.
> > >
> > > I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd' as a schema to validate incoming xml files -
> > > but as I cannot compile it - validation fails as Inc_B cannot find type
> > > definitions from the other two files.
> > >
> > > Could you please help?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Sergey.

Try to use XML Base attributes.

Like this:
<schema xml:base=3D"/*location folder of your included schemas*/"..

Best, Ed.

Sergey Poberezovskiy =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB(=D0=B0):

> I managesd to compile in VS 2003 command-line utility - by running xsd fr=
om
> within the directory where xsd files are.
>
> Still cannot compile schema in code - it errors with "Cannot resolve
> schemaLocation attribute" message.
>
> I use the following code to add schema to XmlValidatingReader:
> using System.IO;
> using System.Xml;
> using System.Xml.Schema;
> string schemaFielName =3D this.Server.MapPath("~/schemas/Inc_B.xsd");
> XmlSchema sch =3D XmlSchema.Read(new StreamReader(schemaFielName), new
> ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema));
> sch.Compile(new ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema), new
> XmlUrlResolver));
> if (sch.IsCompiled)
> {
>     XmlValidatingReader reader =3D new XmlValidatingReader(new
> XmlTextReader(this.Request.Files[0].InputStream));
>     reader.XmlResolver =3D new XmlUrlResolver();
>     reader.Schemas.Add(sch);
>     reader.ValidationEventHandler +=3D new
> ValidationEventHandler(this.validateXml);
>     while(reader.Read());
> }
> private void validateSchema(object sender, Validation?EventArgs e)
> {
>     Console.Write(e.Message);   // I put a breakpoint here
> }
>
> What did I do wrong?
> I have tried to set up sch.SourceUri to either physical path or Url just
> before sch.Compile - same result...
>
> Please HELP!!!
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" wrote:
>
> > Zafar,
> >
> > Yes - they are - I mentioned that in the first sentence..
> >
> > I may try to explain what I am trying to do:
> >
> > 1. On my website clients need to upload their xml files.  Depending on =
the
> > client login different schemas should apply.
> >
> > 2. On the server side I need to check whether the file being uploaded is
> > valid according to my schema (not necessarily the one in the document) =
- I
> > add the required schema to the XmlValidationReader.
> >
> > 3. If file passes validation - I can store the info in the database.
> >
> > The only problem - I cannot COMPILE and hence -validate against added s=
chema
> > (If I specify that same schema in the document - the document validates=
 just
> > fine).
> >
> > "Zafar Abbas" wrote:
> >
> > > Includes and Imports are resolved relative to the current schema docu=
ment.
> > > Are they present in the same folder as the parent schema?
> > >
> > > "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com=
> wrote
> > > in message news:E4A9425D-2BFC-48E8-9E65-A691BACC0579@microsoft.com...

> > > Inc_B.xsd

> > >=20
> > >=20

The problem is that you are reading the schema as a Stream, in which case
the BaseURI property for XmlSchema is not set. All includes are resolved
relative to the baseURI path of the parent schema, in order to make this
work, try reading using XmlTextReader instead of StreamReader:

XmlSchema sch = XmlSchema.Read(new XmlTextReader(schemaFielName), new

in message news:BD1511CB-E5D7-4EA3-9A90-CA06AF2FD16D@microsoft.com...
> I managesd to compile in VS 2003 command-line utility - by running xsd
from
> within the directory where xsd files are.
>
> Still cannot compile schema in code - it errors with "Cannot resolve
> schemaLocation attribute" message.
>
> I use the following code to add schema to XmlValidatingReader:
> using System.IO;
> using System.Xml;
> using System.Xml.Schema;
> string schemaFielName = this.Server.MapPath("~/schemas/Inc_B.xsd");
> XmlSchema sch = XmlSchema.Read(new StreamReader(schemaFielName), new
> ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema));
> sch.Compile(new ValidationEventHandler(this.validateSchema), new
> XmlUrlResolver));
> if (sch.IsCompiled)
> {
>     XmlValidatingReader reader = new XmlValidatingReader(new
> XmlTextReader(this.Request.Files[0].InputStream));
>     reader.XmlResolver = new XmlUrlResolver();
>     reader.Schemas.Add(sch);
>     reader.ValidationEventHandler += new
> ValidationEventHandler(this.validateXml);
>     while(reader.Read());
> }
> private void validateSchema(object sender, Validation?EventArgs e)
> {
>     Console.Write(e.Message);   // I put a breakpoint here
> }
>
> What did I do wrong?
> I have tried to set up sch.SourceUri to either physical path or Url just
> before sch.Compile - same result...
>
> Please HELP!!!
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" wrote:
>
> > Zafar,
> >
> > Yes - they are - I mentioned that in the first sentence..
> >
> > I may try to explain what I am trying to do:
> >
> > 1. On my website clients need to upload their xml files.  Depending on
the
> > client login different schemas should apply.
> >
> > 2. On the server side I need to check whether the file being uploaded is
> > valid according to my schema (not necessarily the one in the document) -
> > add the required schema to the XmlValidationReader.
> >
> > 3. If file passes validation - I can store the info in the database.
> >
> > The only problem - I cannot COMPILE and hence -validate against added
schema
> > (If I specify that same schema in the document - the document validates
just
> > fine).
> >
> > "Zafar Abbas" wrote:
> >
> > > Includes and Imports are resolved relative to the current schema
document.
> > > Are they present in the same folder as the parent schema?
> > >
> > > "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote
> > > in message news:E4A9425D-2BFC-48E8-9E65-A691BACC0579@microsoft.com...

> > > Inc_B.xsd